'Motor Sport' magazine

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4174 replies to this topic

#351 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,886 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 16:51

Originally posted by oldtimer

Just to emphasise the point, to watch Mike Hawthorn in a Jaguar saloon was as exciting as any on the list. Well, maybe not as exciting as Clark in the Lotus-Cortina, but that looked more like controlled craziness.

It could be argued that when Jim Clark was in a Cortina, it was the only time he wasn't boring to watch....

retreating rapidly.....

Advertisement

#352 oldtimer

oldtimer

• 1,291 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 17:39

Originally posted by David Beard

It could be argued that when Jim Clark was in a Cortina, it was the only time he wasn't boring to watch....

retreating rapidly.....

But watching him whistle through Woodcote lap after lap with a dead engine made you suck on your breath. ;) British GP, 1965

#353 Speed Demon

Speed Demon

• 157 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 16:15

I thought I'd leave it a few months before I offered another opinion on the redesign, as first impressions can often be misleading. My overriding thought, however, is that this represents a backwards step. I have now re-read several times Paul Fearnly's defence of the change of masthead colour from BRG to red, and he seems to be saying that a new colour was forced upon the magazine by commercial realities.

Perhaps Haymarket simply has an overabundance of red ink to rid itself of, but the major commercial reality I find is that it now takes me much longer to actually find the mag on a crowded newstand than it ever did before. Why? Simply, the green colour marked it out from all the other magazines (Autosport, F1 Racing, Auto Express, Motor Racing News, etc) with their red covers. Far from making it more eye-catching, the new cover dooms Motor Sport to obscurity.

That said, a cover is just a cover, and 'content is king'. Yes, it may take some time to find, but if the product is worth it, you will go to the effort of doing so. For my money, the 'historic' relaunch of Motor Sport back in '96 (or was it '97?) was long-overdue. There was a gap in the market for a high quality magazine about motor racing history, and Motor Sport at the time was trying to hard to be all things to all men - and doing it a lot less successfully than either Autosport or Motor Racing News. For a few years after the re-launch, content was indeed king and I would spend hours reading Motor Sport from cover to cover. Now, sadly, I seem to spend less and less time on it each month, preferring instead to browse briefly through. In short, while there are still fabulous articles on its pages, they are propped up with what I would term vapid dross (top 20 lists etc) which are simply a turn-off, and lazy journalism to boot.

Getting back to Fearnley's October editorial, the most startling element of this new 'commercial reality' seems to be the admission that it was "time to move forward" and that a fairly fundamental change in the editorial direction was in the offing; something confirmed by the January editorial, where Haymarket seems to be desperately casting the net wide for a new editor to "steer the magazine deep into the new century". Nice to see that standards are set high, with a requirement to spell 'of' correctly apparently high on the list (but what about Offenhauser or von Brauchitsch?).

It greatly worries me that the future will bring about a further dumbing down which will finally result in my deciding that there really is no reason to buy Motor Sport any longer. At the moment things are finely balanced, with just about enough in each issue to hold my interest (but less so than in previous years). Tipping the scales will not take much however: looking back through my magazine pile I realise I inadvertantly failed to buy the December issue, but until now hadn't even noticed. That would have been totally unthinkable in the past.

#354 RTH

RTH

• 5,726 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 17:44

I think that's a fair, objective analysis a majority would be in agreement with. Bottom line is I do not think it's currently good enough to continue as it is ........and it is the most expensive motor magazine on the stand

#355 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 17:56

I bought this month's Octane on a whim to read on the bus back from doing my shopping yesterday. OK, there's a fair amount of "lifestyle bollocks" in it (the "Classic Watch" column!), but at the moment it's a pretty good car magazine. Pitched pretty much between C&SC and Motor Sport and I can definitely see it taking readers from both - it doesn't have C&SC's "grassroots" classics stuff, or Motor Sport's "pedantry" -- or, to put it in "our" terms it lacks a bit of depth and the proof-reading is abysmal.

But what it does have is superb design and photography - (A) it stands out on the shelf and (B) it looks great if you browse it on the newsstand -- infinitely better than the Haymarket mags. If Motor Sport looked like that I'd spend hours, days, drooling over it every month. The good articles are the equal of the best stuff C&SC and MS are putting out at the moment - the Lancia LC2 article and the D-Type and VDU 881 replica piece are both superb.

Socks need to be pulled up at Haymarket. In less than two years Octane has become a real threat to their mags.

#356 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,834 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 19:22

I would be interested to see an issue of Octane.

I would also be interested to know how many miles I would need to travel from my home in order to find one!

#357 dmj

dmj

• 1,956 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 19:33

If it adds something to discussion I might say that Octane is distributed in Croatia (albeit in very limited number of bookstores) whilst MotorSport ceased to be so some 2 or 3 years ago.

#358 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,053 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 21:51

Octane is moving more into classic racing car articles, previously it had series on Lamborghinis et al. One thing it does not have is a picture library so you cannot see the cars as they were, which is a big minus.

I quite like the lifestyle bollocks - nice to be thought of as wealthy enough to care about which Patek Philippe to buy...

I think the whole mag has a sort of designer retro look, I think it's the typeface that does it, it seems to suit it to a t.

#359 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 22:08

Originally posted by Barry Boor
I would be interested to see an issue of Octane.

I would also be interested to know how many miles I would need to travel from my home in order to find one!

Well I got mine in Tesco -- which didn't have Motor Sport ;) (Incidentally, their barbecue chickens are very nice.)

Advertisement

#360 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,024 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 22:23

I'm sure your local newsagent would be quite happy to order one for you Barry.

#361 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,834 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 23:02

Well I got mine in Tesco

You'd wait a long time to get one off the shelf in Tesco, Bangor, I think, Pete.

#362 KJJ

KJJ

• 702 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 23:50

Well Barry, you can get Octane in the newsagents in Llandrindod Wells which I would have thought was even further out in the sticks than Bangor. I bought the February issue, didn't like it at all.......classic watches, classic pens, the Cresta Run, posh cars posed on the driveways of big houses........all right for browsing in the dentist's surgery..........if you're lucky enough to find a dentist's surgery in rural Wales of course.

#363 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 00:34

[This is a copy - almost - of a post of mine another thread]

Not before time, Motor Sport have committed to a piece on my friend Jo Gartner in a forthcoming issue. :clap:

And - as if that wasn't enough positive news - they've hired my pal Adam Cooper to do the story (well, in fairness, it was Adam's idea in the first place!) and who better to write such a feature? His similar work in MS which focused on Carlos Pace, Francois Cevert and others - plus his great book on Piers Courage, of course - were brilliant, and couldn't qualify him higher in my opinion.

I've just spent some time on the phone with him and, having also sent him a link to TNF, and I'm hoping that 'Snake' will explore even further as a result. Who knows; maybe he'll even sign up as a result... :wave:

#364 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 08:42

I understand that Octane is funded by this Russian chappie that owns some football club in London ??????

#365 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 09:54

Originally posted by Twin Window
[This is a copy - almost - of a post of mine another thread]

Not before time, Motor Sport have committed to a piece on my friend Jo Gartner in a forthcoming issue. :clap:

And - as if that wasn't enough positive news - they've hired my pal Adam Cooper to do the story (well, in fairness, it was Adam's idea in the first place!) and who better to write such a feature? His similar work in MS which focused on Carlos Pace, Francois Cevert and others - plus his great book on Piers Courage, of course - were brilliant, and couldn't qualify him higher in my opinion.

I've just spent some time on the phone with him and, having also sent him a link to TNF, and I'm hoping that 'Snake' will explore even further as a result. Who knows; maybe he'll even sign up as a result... :wave:

Encouraging - he's been by far the best writer to have worked for Haymarket in recent years. And as you say the Piers Courage book is magnificent.

(It'd be great to see Adam writing more about racing in Japan in the late 80s/early 90s, when JF3000 was probably bigger than F1 over there..... and he knew all the gaijin drivers....)

#366 Ruairidh

Ruairidh

• 1,073 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 18:26

I want to send a quick but public thank you to Stuart Forrest.

There was a glitch in my subscription that I mentioned here that he looked into without any prompting or need to do making sure I didn't miss any copies.

Didn't need to do it, but did. Thanks.

And having read the missing ones last night - I'm glad he did.

I'd still love it if they could give column inches (or more in some cases) to the likes of DSN, Roebuck, Oliver, McKinney et al - but even as is, I enjoyed them.

Good stuff on Swede Savage and Ralph Hepburn - nice image of Schlesser encouraging Warwick to hit a pinnned down Schumacher (on a massage table :p ) with Mass trying to pull him off and especially the article on Mansell at Lotus which addressed a question I've long had about that relationship and I define the word "grudging" when used in the context of "respect for Mansell".....

So thanks for that, and as soon as the US arm sends me an invoice I'll happily pay it!

#367 Stuart_Forrest

Stuart_Forrest

• 92 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 17:52

Dear All,

I thought I'd take the opportunity, now that the March issue is in the hands of some of our subscribers, to announce that the new editor of Motor Sport will be Damien Smith. Damien has been the managing editor of Motor Sport for a year, and a reader for some 30. Damien beat off stiff competition from a number of very strong candidates, and I'm sure you'll join me in offering your congratulations.

Also joining Motor Sport at the same time is Marcus Simmons. Marcus joins us from Autosport where he was responsible, amongst many things, for the magazine's "rear view" page. His knowledge of the subject is astonishing, and he too has been a reader of the magazine for many years.

Look out for the reappearance of some familiar names over the coming months. I'm confident that you'll enjoy Motor Sport under Damien's control.

Incidentally the March issue also sees us launch an online reader survey that will give all readers the opportunity to give their views on the magazine in complete confidence, and hopefully in a way that will allow you to go beyond merely ticking boxes. I'd encourage anyone with a view to participate - we'll be taking everything that you tell us into account as we go forward.

I must apologise though to anyone who has tried to access the site today. The rare efficiency with which the Royal Mail have managed to deliver some subscribers their copies has rather taken us by surprise. I'm told that the site will be up tomorrow morning at www.tgmc-surveys.co.uk/motorsport.htm .

Thanks

Stuart

#368 Ivan

Ivan

• 6,646 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 18:37

Please bring back the GREEN cover. Now that it's RED it doesn't stand out like it used to.

#369 RTH

RTH

• 5,726 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 18:40

I received mine first thing this morning, and all I've done is skim through it so far , - but I have to say its content is the best so far in the "New hideous cover" era and I am actually looking forward to reading several of the articles in detail. Hopefully this can now be built on.

..........Oh and some more of those archive films in the form of give away DVD's wouldn't go amiss.....the VHS tapes in '97 were splendid . The long suffering subscribers could do with a bonus !

#370 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,049 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 18:50

Mr. Forrest, which Haymarket office are you guys based out of? Did you have any random foreigners handing out chocolates today?

#371 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,834 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 18:50

Best issue for a while IMHO. At least there are no comparisons between road cars, just an item on E-types.

What I want to know is, how come every time I visit an old circuit, MotorSport seem to go there within a year.....? Golden Gate Park this time!

#372 Stuart_Forrest

Stuart_Forrest

• 92 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 18:54

Originally posted by RTH
I received mine first thing this morning, and all I've done is skim through it so far , - but I have to say its content is the best so far in the "New hideous cover" era and I am actually looking forward to reading several of the articles in detail. Hopefully this can now be built on.

..........Oh and some more of those archive films in the form of give away DVD's wouldn't go amiss.....the VHS tapes in '97 were splendid . The long suffering subscribers could do with a bonus !

Thanks, Richard. Covermounted DVD's are astonishingly expensive for us, but we are currently exploring a few ideas.

Long suffering subscribers do get their magazines a long time in advance of other readers, and pay far less for it. In fact, come to think of it, if you got your copy first thing this morning then you did so in advance of the editor and publisher :)

#373 Stuart_Forrest

Stuart_Forrest

• 92 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 18:55

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld
Mr. Forrest, which Haymarket office are you guys based out of? Did you have any random foreigners handing out chocolates today?

YES! Although not to me and only my female colleagues. I was most annoyed....

60 Waldegrave Road office, by the way.

#374 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,049 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 19:05

Well that was more for your benefit, we didnt want anyone to be uncomfortable by two recently imported quasi-Italian men handing chocolates to fine upstanding granite solid British men in such a masculine industry, and we did have a bit of a financial constraint, you understand how these corporate budgets work of course. Though if you'd only used the secret Bulletin Board handshake...

We managed to get every female in all 3 local offices, except one in yours who wouldnt sit still long enough and I wasnt entirely convinced was in the most hospitable of moods, and now we're simply out of chocolate, and beer.

Oh well, there's Monday.

#375 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,533 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 19:09

I've only had time to skim through it, but there are plenty of interesting articles. Unfortunately, I left my copy at work, but I hope the Peter Gethin article is as interesting as the subject matter!

#376 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,886 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 19:29

On first sight . a brilliant issue. Just enjoyed the Gethin piece. But why can't you do the easy, so obvious thing...

BRING BACK THE GREEN COVER!

How many times do people have to tell you?

#377 MCS

MCS

• 3,539 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 19:31

Oh, blimey!

The first month after I cancel my subsription there's an article on John Crossle and now everybody is saying it's getting better and there's an article on Peter Gethin :mad:

I've eaten humble pie before...

Trouble is, it's very difficult to buy off the shelves isn't it?

(Or do I just re-subscribe and stop moaning?)

Mark

#378 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,533 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 19:55

I've eaten humble pie before...

You need to go to the Delicatessen Counter!

#379 MCS

MCS

• 3,539 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 19:59

Originally posted by Cirrus

You need to go to the Delicatessen Counter!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay, will do.

Mark

Advertisement

#380 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,849 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 21:02

The Things People Say...

Noted in the December 2004 issue of Motor Sport that a reference to Alan Jones and the Carl Haas Lola GP squad (page 22) that sponsor Beatrice have been described as a 'footwear giant'...

#381 Stuart_Forrest

Stuart_Forrest

• 92 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 21:43

At the risk of sounding cheeky....

[i]

just re-subscribe and stop moaning

Actually, we do have just a few rather beautiful Exoto Daytona Coupe's left as well for new subscribers (which you'd be). RRP £100+

#382 RTH

RTH

• 5,726 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 22:40

Stuart,

Did you notice in last weeks Sunday Times every copy of the newspaper contained a 90 min DVD of the feature film "Howards End"...........how much is the cover price of the paper ?.......how much is the cover price of.........

Even in the 0.15p 'Star' they routinely give away a 20 track greatest hits music CD free with the paper...........so someone can press these discs very cheaply. You gave away VHS' they have to be a vastly bigger cost than a DVD .........what about getting them done in China or India ? After all we are not talking about anything topical with a sell by deadline , getting someone on the case here might just bring you a big jump in sales, I just do not believe it can't be done.

#383 Stuart_Forrest

Stuart_Forrest

• 92 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 23:01

Originally posted by RTH
Stuart,

Did you notice in last weeks Sunday Times every copy of the newspaper contained a 90 min DVD of the feature film "Howards End"...........how much is the cover price of the paper ?.......how much is the cover price of.........

Even in the 0.15p 'Star' they routinely give away a 20 track greatest hits music CD free with the paper...........so someone can press these discs very cheaply. You gave away VHS' they have to be a vastly bigger cost than a DVD .........what about getting them done in China or India ? After all we are not talking about anything topical with a sell by deadline , getting someone on the case here might just bring you a big jump in sales, I just do not believe it can't be done.

As I said, we are looking at it. The problem is often simply one of economies of scale, and also the lack of a ready to go, off the shelf product which would be just right for our readers. If the Sunday Times wish to covermount a DVD then they'll do so on a couple of million strong print run and recoup their investment in the doing. Far less easy with a print run the fraction of its size. You're right that DVD is cheaper than VHS (albeit marginally as the cost of DVD has plummeted) but it is still a big commitment for a little magazine such as ours. Whilst a big film distributor could afford to give away Howard's End in return for the right to promote the rest of it's catalogue to an audience several million strong, there are few companies in the UK able to do the same thing in our little specialist market. In addition, many of these things are loss leaders - designed to drive sales, to build circulation, and thus drive ad revenue. Motor Sport simply doesn't operate in a market where such dynamics apply to a degree big enough to warrant such investment. Boring, but true.

That said, we're looking at it. Watch this space.

Funnily enough, for those sufficiently interested, the cheapest places to get large scale duplication of CD and DVD are in France and Eastern Europe. The French in particular have invested heavily in the sort of super-large scale duplication plants capable of churning out DVDs and CDs in sufficient quantity for the Mail on Sunday and Sunday Times.

#384 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,024 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 00:02

Stuart's made exactly the point I was going to put. The ST's latest ABC figure (Jan 2005) is 1.376 million PER WEEK. At a cover price of £1.40 that's a turnover of £1.926 million per week at retail: average that out over a year and it's roughly £9 million a month. Somewhat more than Motor Sport. And, as he also pointed out, origination costs for that DVD were zilch for the Sunday Times.

Oh, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the price of the Sunday Times increase to £1.50. Probably issue dated Feb 27th: they normally go up about 2 months after The Observer. So that'll cover any loss on the DVD in an issue or two.

#385 Ruairidh

Ruairidh

• 1,073 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 00:25

Originally posted by Vitesse2
Stuart's made exactly the point I was going to put. The ST's latest ABC figure (Jan 2005) is 1.376 million PER WEEK. At a cover price of £1.40 that's a turnover of £1.926 million per week at retail:

And that is only part of the revenue for the ST. Retail ain't where the money is in newspaper publishing - think advertising and that, in turn, depends on demographics and circulation - there is a reason they chose "Howards End" and not "Confessions of a Window Cleaner" (understated masterpiece as the latter may be) :smoking:

#386 Coogar

Coogar

• 139 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 06:53

Stuart,

I enjoyed the February issue, especially the Crossle piece of course ! Sadly, something odd seems to have happened to the distribution as I was unable to find a copy in any of my regular Northern Ireland haunts.
I eventually tracked one down in the magazine shop at Southampton Airport where it was on display.....er.... upside down !
The lengths people will go to to avoid that red cover..........
Is there, perhaps, an intention to make Motor Sport a 'subscription only' title ? It certainly looks that way from here.

#387 Stuart_Forrest

Stuart_Forrest

• 92 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 07:11

Originally posted by Coogar
Stuart,

I enjoyed the February issue, especially the Crossle piece of course ! Sadly, something odd seems to have happened to the distribution as I was unable to find a copy in any of my regular Northern Ireland haunts.
I eventually tracked one down in the magazine shop at Southampton Airport where it was on display.....er.... upside down !
The lengths people will go to to avoid that red cover..........
Is there, perhaps, an intention to make Motor Sport a 'subscription only' title ? It certainly looks that way from here.

I certainly admire your dedication in travelling from Northern Ireland to Southampton to find a copy!

No, there is no specific desire to withdraw the title from stores. Unfortunately though as the big supermarkets eat up more and more market share in every grocery area, so too magazine purchase is shifting from the likes of your local corner shop and into Tesco/Asda/Sainsbury etc. This is bad news for us (and many other smaller titles) since they have no desire to stock a wide range of titles, only the top 100 or so (at best, and only in the bigger stores). It means that we need to promote subscriptions far more than we ever have, and it's also the reason why a subscription to Motor Sport gives a bigger discount off the cover price than for many other magazines.

I have to say though that this was a process that was well underway by the time of the change to red. If anything, changing colour has delayed it in some quarters as we've been able to suggest that the title now appeals to a new (and bigger) market.

Glad you enjoyed the February issue.

#388 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 08:18

why does it take 2 whole bloody weeks for my subscription to hit the mailbox her in Dublin.... mates get there's to belfast in 2 days, I bought a set of carpet mats for my SAAB in the uk and it was here in 2 days, why does it take 2 weeks!!!

#389 Stuart_Forrest

Stuart_Forrest

• 92 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 08:34

Originally posted by green-blood
why does it take 2 whole bloody weeks for my subscription to hit the mailbox her in Dublin.... mates get there's to belfast in 2 days, I bought a set of carpet mats for my SAAB in the uk and it was here in 2 days, why does it take 2 weeks!!!

Green-blood - you have a PM. We'll try to get that sorted out for you.

#390 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,138 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 08:35

Originally posted by Barry Boor
Best issue for a while IMHO. At least there are no comparisons between road cars, just an item on E-types.

What I want to know is, how come every time I visit an old circuit, MotorSport seem to go there within a year.....? Golden Gate Park this time!

Barry - I would just like to point out that you did know of this track at least three years ago, as it was yourself who sent me the track map for this one.......

#391 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,139 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 08:49

Haven't seen the latest issue yet. Sounds promising, though - I like the idea of an article on John Crosle.

But the point I want to make is that I think it is great that Stuart Forrest actually comes on here to talk to us. It reflects well on him as an individual, actually daring to piut his head above the parapet. Good for him.

But PLEASE bring back the green cover - as well as being artistically distinctive, it stood out in a sea of red on the shelves. I do hope that the distinctive Classic and Sportscar logo won't be getting a colour change too......

#392 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 936 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 09:40

Originally posted by MCS

Unfortunately it is. I have bought three issues of MotorSport last year. (Needless to say I don't even dream of purchasing MotorSport here in Hungary.) I have been travelling all over Europe in the first half of last year, so I bought one issue in a small Swedish town, Lund, one in Barcelona and another one at the Vienna Airport. I didn't manage to find a single copy in downtown Dublin nor in the Monza bookshop, nor at the Airports of Dublin, Copenhagen, Milan and Amsterdam :| I've been thinking about subscribing MotorSport for a while now, but as I still have plenty of books to read, I haven't made up my mind yet. Would I be the very first subscriber from Hungary?;)

BTW I haven't seen the red cover yet, nevertheless I'm with those who think the green one would suit MotorSport better.

#393 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,045 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 09:43

Did anybody notice that I made no postings yesterday - Motor Sport had arrived.

Glad to see no two-car comparison.

The Australians can look forward to a page of old Aussie pics!

I don't buy it in the shops, but if I did I would say "bring back the Green cover. By all means update it, but don't kill the 'brand identity'

#394 Eric McLoughlin

Eric McLoughlin

• 1,622 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 10:25

Mine arrived yesterday too and I've already read about half of it.

Nice to see that the picture layouts are a little less jumbled now. The articles are getting better. No silly modern car comparatives. Everything is moving in the right direction.

There's only one final modification required - (whisper) green cover please.

#395 Neri Moreira

Neri Moreira

• 89 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 11:30

Originally posted by Stuart_Forrest
At the risk of sounding cheeky....

Actually, we do have just a few rather beautiful Exoto Daytona Coupe's left as well for new subscribers (which you'd be). RRP £100+

Hi Stuart

Something I've been willing to ask for a long time

When you give gifts to new subscribers it is only for English subscribers?
Its only for NEW subscribers or also for renewer subscribers?

(I must say that i've been feeling a litle "cheated" in what concerns Motorsports gifts) :(

Yours
Neri Moreira

#396 barrykm

barrykm

• 431 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 11:38

Originally posted by David Beard

BRING BACK THE GREEN COVER!

How many times do people have to tell you? [/B]

Absolutely agree..!! (including the stripes)

Whoever thought that the new cover would stand out on the shelf is sadly mistaken - it looks like the rest of the comics... :down: :down:

#397 Stuart_Forrest

Stuart_Forrest

• 92 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 11:40

Originally posted by Neri Moreira

Hi Stuart

Something I've been willing to ask for a long time

When you give gifts to new subscribers it is only for English subscribers?
Its only for NEW subscribers or also for renewer subscribers?

(I must say that i've been feeling a litle "cheated" in what concerns Motorsports gifts) :(

Yours
Neri Moreira

Hi Neri,

We offer gifts to UK subscribers who sign up via Direct Debit from the magazine (simply because we can't take direct debit gift subscriptions from overseas subscribers). For UK subscribers who wish to renew their direct debit the gift is also available (although their existing subs rate would be cheaper than the one advertised) and the same applies to those wishing to change from a credit card to direct debit.

We're trying to increase the number of overseas events that we attend, and at all of these we will offer gifts to overseas subscribers. We'll be at a large number of US events this year, although sadly not so many in Europe with it being a non Le Mans/Monaco year.

I understand the problem with gifts for overseas subscribers, and would love to be able to offer a better solution.

Best,

Stuart

#398 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,031 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 12:19

Congratulations to the new role players at MOTOR SPORT.

It is with interest and sometimes amusement that I have read the threads and various posts on the MOTOR SPORT magazine issues on this forum. Apart from some criticism (one can’t satisfy everyone), it still remains a splendid journal and surely the best of its genre in the English language (proof me wrong!).

Consider this – here in South Africa we have zilch, zero, nothing, nil that has the equal of MOTOR SPORT. I think the foreign support and interest in this magazine is huge, especially due to the fact that their domestic media shows no interest or knowledge of this noble sport.

How about some special offers then for the “foreigners’? Special discount on air mail subscriptions, etc.

Local bookshops sell MOTOR SPORT for R100 a copy (about 12,50 Euro). Then one also gets it 2-3 months late. To put it in perspective (and I have mentioned this before) – for R100 you can buy thirty 340ml cans of beer. No wonder there so many boozers out here and so few readers…. OK, the heat also plays a role. :)

Here’s a toast to the new editor…

#399 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 12:21

Originally posted by Hieronymus

To put it in perspective (and I have mentioned this before) – for R100 you can buy thirty 340ml cans of beer.
Here’s a toast to the new editor…

Is it good beer though?

Advertisement

#400 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,688 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 12:29

Just filled in the on-line survey and am now awaiting my copy of Into the Red! :lol:

I must echo the thoughts of a lot of long-time Motor Sport readers with a plea for a return to the Green - after all it is a British Institution and should reflect our National Racing Colour NOT that of the Italians! :mad:

On a more serious note I wasn't too impressed when I read that there were going to be changes!
When the first of the new editions hit the door-mat I wasn't too impressed.
Now I think it is evolving nicely and with a more coverage of the Historic Racing scene due once the season gets into full swing it should be a must have magazine.

On the DVD front may I suggest a series of Old Racing Films (e.g. The Green Helmet) would make ideal inclusions with future copies. Alternatively if the run numbers are too low to warrant a freebie then you could include a voucher with each issue for people to collect and redeem with a contribution to postage.

Any road up, Motor Sport is still the best monthly Motor Racing magazine available in Britain - Long May It Remain So! :cool: