• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4174 replies to this topic

#3951 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,840 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:43

Hi all,

Slightly alarmed to read this thread!

We have an IT problem here that has kept our computer man puzzled for about three years now! Emails to the editorial address are picked up on Gordon Cruickshank's computer. But when he clicks on a new message we understand it sometimes fires back a 'message deleted' reply to the sender – which then leads to irate emails from understandably annoyed readers who think we are ignoring them. GC then has to contact the writer to assure them we have read the message, despite how it appears. Aggravation all round, to put it mildly.

With due respect Damien I think it is about time you sacked the "computer man" and got someone in who knows what they are doing! If this has been going on for "three years" it is totally unacceptable!

BTW I spent 25years+ in IT and suspect that the problem would be easily fixed!

:confused:

Advertisement

#3952 stuartbrs

stuartbrs

• 691 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:01

With due respect Damien I think it is about time you sacked the "computer man" and got someone in who knows what they are doing! If this has been going on for "three years" it is totally unacceptable!

BTW I spent 25years+ in IT and suspect that the problem would be easily fixed!

:confused:

That all depends on who hosts their Mail Server...

#3953 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 458 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:13

Having read MS since I was in short trousers I like the current format and the quality of writers, other than Frankel. I do appreciate Damien's quick reply, although I do agree that the IT problem needs dealing with ASAP as it may well have upset many folk who have written to mS either with letters, comments or just PRs.
It's a bit unfair to criticise the mag for an anrticle ten years back when the current staff were not in place.
MS is now the only monthly I subscribe to but I do agree re the design aspects. Some times designers try to be to clever rather than making it easy to read! I hate it when text is over a photo or on a coloured background, then it is difficult to read in artificial light.

#3954 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,746 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:22

I feel more than a little cynical about Mr Smiths protestations. When he is given information about an event by email which was then discussed on the telephone, doesn't act on it(which is entirely his prerogative) but then publishes an article in which the facts given to him are conveniently disregarded, and then does not have the courtesy to acknowledge my correction...........

#3955 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,900 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:28

So, please let's not try to knock down the editor who takes the time to respond to criticism, but make constructive comments for him to think on in the context of his readership profile - we are clearly part of that otherwise he wouldn't have bothered to have responded.

Well said, Peter. :up:

#3956 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,207 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:32

It's a bit unfair to criticise the mag for an anrticle ten years back when the current staff were not in place.

Not criticising, illustrating a point, and to be honest, it's not down to me to know if the staff have changed or not, but I do see a change in standards. If that that is down a change in staff, I have no idea. I criticised the article at the time, the reply to that has left a bad taste that has lasted ten years!

From my point of view, it's not value for money (actually now more like a glossy "Autotrader", quite hard to find the articles in amongst the ad's), tends to be in accurate, and I have never seen why a magazine called Motor SPORT, needs to have road cars in it anyway.

I understand it's all personal taste, and my taste currently says, don't buy, don't read it!

#3957 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,100 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:54

Really?? You must live (or at least work) on a different planet than I do, because I encounter plenty of IT problems!

As was said by Stephen W, it is a professional IT service we are talking of with professional IT employees.
If you have such staff and have problems, change the staff.
We long retired folk who now have no staff to call on may have problems, but that's not relevant to the point I was making.

Edited by Allan Lupton, 12 April 2012 - 09:56.

#3958 nicanary

nicanary

• 463 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:24

I don't know what all the fuss is about with the graphic design causing difficulties with reading the text - older forum members will recall the days when MS had the tiniest print technically possible (or so it seemed). When a contributor (usually DSJ) refused to shorten his copy, the printers simply reduced the size of font even more.You had to hold the magazine about two inches from your nose to finish an article which had often been carried over from about 20 pages earlier, and ended up at the back with the small ads..

It's still worth buying just for Messrs. Roebuck and Nye. Quality will always prevail.

#3959 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,626 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:22

Isn't it time for a merge of threads ?

Edited by Bjorn Kjer, 12 April 2012 - 11:23.

Advertisement

#3960 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,746 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 13:13

I don't know what all the fuss is about with the graphic design causing difficulties with reading the text - older forum members will recall the days when MS had the tiniest print technically possible (or so it seemed). When a contributor (usually DSJ) refused to shorten his copy, the printers simply reduced the size of font even more.You had to hold the magazine about two inches from your nose to finish an article which had often been carried over from about 20 pages earlier, and ended up at the back with the small ads..

It's still worth buying just for Messrs. Roebuck and Nye. Quality will always prevail.

That was a long time ago before i had my cataracts done. At that time I COULD read the small print. Now even with reading glasses I can't see small print under artificial light and trendy arty farty art editors need shooting, I told the opthalmologist about the problem and he just nodded and agreed that it was a problem. That said I can now, at 75, drive without specs. So it's a trade off.

#3961 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,415 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 13:17

Not before I post again...

There's a huge difference between small (or even tiny) type on a white page and type reversed into a multi-hue photograph. Especially if that type isn't bold face.

Another thing I find difficult with the modern versions is that it's difficult to find your way to articles you might want to read. But I guess that also says something about me, doesn't it?

I used to read the magazine for the nitty-gritty on things. Is that stuff still in there? I expect it's reasonable to say that Nigel Roebuck's stuff gets along that path, but I also have to say I was seriously turned off when they started doing their 'track tests' and used them as a venue to write up a road car and occasionally mention something about the subject circuit.

As the one who devised the 'Closed Circuit' format, I think I have a right to tear their half-hearted attempt at copying my work to shreds.

#3962 john aston

john aston

• 841 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 13:30

Not before I post again...

There's a huge difference between small (or even tiny) type on a white page and type reversed into a multi-hue photograph. Especially if that type isn't bold face.

Another thing I find difficult with the modern versions is that it's difficult to find your way to articles you might want to read. But I guess that also says something about me, doesn't it?

I used to read the magazine for the nitty-gritty on things. Is that stuff still in there? I expect it's reasonable to say that Nigel Roebuck's stuff gets along that path, but I also have to say I was seriously turned off when they started doing their 'track tests' and used them as a venue to write up a road car and occasionally mention something about the subject circuit.

As the one who devised the 'Closed Circuit' format, I think I have a right to tear their half-hearted attempt at copying my work to shreds.

Devised closed circuit format- do tell us more .

#3963 Macca

Macca

• 3,351 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 20:55

This is a message to the current editor, and an open letter to any other magazine editors in the same publishing group: do not - DO NOT - seal your magazines in a bag with a supposed "supplement" of mostly sponsored rubbish.

If I can't browse, I won't buy. I did once buy a magazine that promised much in the cover blurb but it failed to deliver, so never again.

I haven't had a subscription to MS since shortly after the end of the 'red era', but I may well have bought more issues if it hadn't been for those b****y sealed bags.

As it happens, I have bought the current copy, but only after having to surreptitiously slit the bag in the newsagents to look it over........and the 'special awards supplement', after one swift glance, has gone straight on the junk mail pile, so the sponsor has received less of my attention than its normal adverts get.

Rant over.

The Greene/Craft lunch is brilliant - if ever there was a large book crying out to be published, there is one. And lots more good stuff this month to make it good value.

Paul M

#3964 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 21:16

If I can't browse, I won't buy

Moi aussi

#3965 BRG

BRG

• 11,907 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 21:37

I suppose that Motorsport aren't going to turn down regular advertisers, but really the whole page of ranting by Tim Dutton is such a piece of self-indulgence. Does he really imagine that it will attract any business? I wouldn't do business with Ivan Dutton Ltd if you paid me after seeing this rubbish month after month.

Not that he need worry as I am definitely not in the Bugatti owning bracket!

Edited by BRG, 17 April 2012 - 21:38.

#3966 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,484 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 21:58

Moi aussi

:confused: What a confession...I've always thought you were a Kiwi...

CND

#3967 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,138 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 22:03

Moi aussi

CND

:confused: :well: :) :lol: :rotfl:

#3968 racinggeek

racinggeek

• 222 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 22:18

I don't know what all the fuss is about with the graphic design causing difficulties with reading the text - older forum members will recall the days when MS had the tiniest print technically possible (or so it seemed).

Well, it's called "bad design," although it certainly has been trendy in the magazine business for several years now. Sports Illustrated is a particularly horrible offender. When I studied design and was a page designer, Rule No. 1 always was MAKE IT EASILY READABLE. I'm finding I need to whip out the magnifying glass more and more these days.

True dat :up:

#3969 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,017 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:40

...by a gnat's cock

CND

Mange tout. :smoking:

#3970 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,274 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:53

[quote name='nicanary' post='5651982' date='Apr 12 2012, 11:24']It's still worth buying just for Messrs. Roebuck and Nye. Quality will always prevail.[/quote]

[quote name='Giraffe' date='Apr 18 2012, 06:40' post='5668143']
...by a gnat's cock

Doug! Nigel! I warned you about that strange looking man with the long neck, peering over your shoulders...!

#3971 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 1,377 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:33

As a subscriber to Motorsport, I greatly enjoy every issue when it drops through my letterbox with a thump! I was also over the moon when I saw my letter about Tom Walkinshaw was printed in the Indy 500 issue last year!

The only negative section in my mind is Mr Frankel's road tests and which I could happily live without in a Motorsport based magazine... I'd prefer to read a topical, reprinted item from the Jenks archive if i'm honest. Or a 'you were there' article written about a particluar event by one of the readers?

#3972 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,100 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:13

I'd prefer to read a topical, reprinted item from the Jenks archive if i'm honest. Or a 'you were there' article written about a particluar event by one of the readers?

They can't win because those like me who read Jenks first time round and have the copies in the bookcase don't want to pay again for what we already have. Before I gave up on MS I had three versions of Jenks' Mille Miglia article - the original and reprints in various anniversary editions

#3973 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:42

The only negative section in my mind is Mr Frankel's road tests and which I could happily live without in a Motorsport based magazine... I'd prefer to read a topical, reprinted item from the Jenks archive if i'm honest. Or a 'you were there' article written about a particluar event by one of the readers?

If it means keeping the cover/subscription price down, then I'm sure I can live with three pages of non-motorsport news each month.

#3974 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 1,377 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 13:31

If it means keeping the cover/subscription price down, then I'm sure I can live with three pages of non-motorsport news each month.

Sorry, I'm perhaps not understanding something here as a humble accountant and not an editor (hoping I don't receive a hammering for that after the Ed's pop at bean counters previously), but how does producing more articles in the magazine and presumably having to pay for the writers contribution, a method of keeping the price down? I find it hard to imagine more people will buy the magazine becuase it contains Mr Frankel's opinion on the new MG6 Magnette such as this issue, I would of thought Auto Express and some of the other magazines would be customers first choice for such topics?

I'm not being argumentative (apologies if that is what it sounds like) I am just a bit perplexed by this point...

In hindsight, I agree about the previous point about re-printing old articles and thoroughly understand, but hey, I can load up the archive DVD's for that sort of thing...

#3975 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 14:29

I'm not being argumentative (apologies if that is what it sounds like) I am just a bit perplexed by this point...

I think this goes some way in explaining what I mean.

#3976 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,017 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 15:14

If you look at the ABC figures, all magazine sales are in a gradual state of decline. Printing and distribution costs are soaring A very close friend of mine owns one of Britain's premier golf titles, and it's all about developing apps for him these days as the printed format gradually fades away. It's certainly what the next generation demands and you've just got to move with the times. I shall be very surprised if Motor Sport magazine remains available in print as we know it today in 10 years time.
I myself have never stopped buying it through it's ups, downs and changes. I'm just very nostalgic about the title and will remain so as long as it is still in existance.

#3977 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 1,377 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 15:23

I think this goes some way in explaining what I mean.

Ah ok, thank you Dank that's just the ticket...

that's the problem with being a relatively new member and not reading all 100 pages beforehand! :well:

I must be cheeky and ask Mr Smith about his comment "But commercial considerations have never driven content – and they never will under my watch"

That's not one of those huge Casio Edifice watches that were all over the Red Bull pull-out we received a while back is it? Or is it one of the awesome TAG's we see on JB or LH's wrist on the back cover??? :p

#3978 Charlieman

Charlieman

• 284 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 19:59

In hindsight, I agree about the previous point about re-printing old articles and thoroughly understand, but hey, I can load up the archive DVD's for that sort of thing...

In WB's days, he did a lot of recycling of stories. In a positive fashion, of course. He'd dig something up and tell us something that had to be left out first time around or provide an update with newly discovered information. DCN and NR are maintaining that tradition.

Motor Sport does dig into its archives (sidebar content) to illustrate new stories. I'd love it if they took an old article and reversed the process. "This is what we wrote in 1974 in good faith, but perhaps it was a load of codswallop."

#3979 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 798 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:58

In WB's days, he did a lot of recycling of stories. In a positive fashion, of course. He'd dig something up and tell us something that had to be left out first time around or provide an update with newly discovered information. DCN and NR are maintaining that tradition.

Motor Sport does dig into its archives (sidebar content) to illustrate new stories. I'd love it if they took an old article and reversed the process. "This is what we wrote in 1974 in good faith, but perhaps it was a load of codswallop."

That could be both highly entertaining, and quite informative. Re-writing history has a bad rep, but things are/can be seen in a different light with the passage of time.

Advertisement

#3980 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,100 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 14:51

That could be both highly entertaining, and quite informative. Re-writing history has a bad rep, but things are/can be seen in a different light with the passage of time.

Yes indeed and just because it all happened a long time ago doesn't mean that new contemporary information won't be turned up.
See debate on this forum a couple of years ago about 1912 GP Peugeot cam followers, for example.

#3981 mfd

mfd

• 2,904 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 14:40

I wonder if Riccardo Patrese realizes as much. What a waste of talent.

Possibly so, but it didn't finish his career, as some poor teams or cars have to others.

#3982 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,721 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 17:59

To be fair, Patrese was at Brabham when they won the world title and didn't set the world alight, I don't think he was a Champ manque.

#3983 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,274 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 18:14

For his talent and commitment, I am talking about winning world championships - a couple, at least - by the second half of the '80s at the latest, not just survive a below average F1 career with teams which were going nowhere (Arrows, Alfa Romeo Euroracing, last days of Bernie's Brabham) and missing the right opportunities (e.g. Brabham '79) when they came along. Anyway, long story. Nostalgia indeed.

Patrese had a pretty poor reputation in his early days, and he got those drives because he couldn't find anything better, he was far from the hottest property around for much of his career. Once he'd calmed down, a good performer certainly, even very good on occasions, but I don't think many in the business saw him as a champion in waiting.

#3984 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,429 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 21:47

I suppose that Motorsport aren't going to turn down regular advertisers, but really the whole page of ranting by Tim Dutton is such a piece of self-indulgence. Does he really imagine that it will attract any business? I wouldn't do business with Ivan Dutton Ltd if you paid me after seeing this rubbish month after month.

Not that he need worry as I am definitely not in the Bugatti owning bracket!

I find the ads a rather amusing departure from the usual stuff....The man pays for his space and has his say.

But then, I can also be a bit perverse, according to Mrs.-the-Lad.....

:blush:

#3985 Maldwyn

Maldwyn

• 1,486 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:51

“Looking back, I regard the whole Arrows thing as a wasted period of my life”. I wonder if Riccardo Patrese realizes as much.

Simon Taylor's lunch with Riccardo, in the magazine some time ago, is a good companion to the Tony Southgate piece.

#3986 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 804 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:20

I find the ads a rather amusing departure from the usual stuff....The man pays for his space and has his say.

But then, I can also be a bit perverse, according to Mrs.-the-Lad.....

:blush:

Unlike BRG, Tim Dutton's page is the first one I turn to when I receive my monthly dose of Motor Sport.

#3987 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,274 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:25

Unlike BRG, Tim Dutton's page is the first one I turn to when I receive my monthly dose of Motor Sport.

What I think of as 'the mad bugger's page' is one of the first I read as well, politically to the right of Genghis Khan, but entertaining all the same. I enjoy a soupçon of political incorrectness from time to time.

#3988 cdrewett

cdrewett

• 361 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:35

I think those who look back at old Motor Sport through rose coloured nostalgia should go up to their loft and re-read a few issues. Apart from Jenks it was by today's standards pretty dire. I've got every issue between 1963 and 1988 plus a few bound copies from the fifties. WB's biased and uninformative road tests are a joke compared to Frankel's. We put up with it at the time because we didn't know any better. People who say they haven't read MS for ten years really need to do some serious browsing. It's one of the month's highlights when it thumps onto the front door mat, so Damien, Simon, Doug, Andrew and the rest of the gang, thank you and keep up the good work.
Chris

#3989 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,894 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:49

As a non-reader I probably have no right to comment but I can agree with Chris's views a great deal. I have the 50s and 60s archives on my computer and I am constantly amazed at the number of major races that were almost, if not totally, ignored by the magazine, especially in the 1950s.

It does appear to be pretty good now - I've just got out of the habit of buying the printed word, other than actual books.

#3990 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 458 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:49

Overall I still like the magazine. I detest Frankel's road, tests, far too biased to German and Italian makes and do we need them in MS. they don't seem to generate any advertising? I am not interested in the bike or USA pages, we could do without them.
One thing that concerns me is the semi advertising articles that are now apearing. In other mags they might be headed "advertising feature" but not in MS. There seems to be one everyone month, a "feature" on a business which is quite clearly all PR. Winess the one of Ecurie Ecosse this month and the one on HERO last month. Could they not be clearly headed as an £Advertising Feature"

#3991 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,274 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:02

I detest Frankel's road, tests...

I don't like them either, but mainly because of Frankel's turgid writing style, and also his conceit. Does he really expect us to believe that he can detect minor nuances between the handling characteristics of near-identical but slightly differently optioned Porsche 911s and the like? When driving them on public UK roads in a manner that will enable him to hang onto his licence?

#3992 nicanary

nicanary

• 463 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:32

Overall I still like the magazine. I detest Frankel's road, tests, far too biased to German and Italian makes and do we need them in MS. they don't seem to generate any advertising? I am not interested in the bike or USA pages, we could do without them.
One thing that concerns me is the semi advertising articles that are now apearing. In other mags they might be headed "advertising feature" but not in MS. There seems to be one everyone month, a "feature" on a business which is quite clearly all PR. Winess the one of Ecurie Ecosse this month and the one on HERO last month. Could they not be clearly headed as an £Advertising Feature"

Absolutely. There have been some appallingly gratuitous "articles" of late - witness the visit to McLaren prior to the launch of the MP4-12C. There was nothing of substance in a feature which went on for several pages - I have always assumed that it was "fawning" in return for favours at a later date.

#3993 cdrewett

cdrewett

• 361 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 13:06

I think those who look back at old Motor Sport through rose coloured nostalgia should go up to their loft and re-read a few issues. Apart from Jenks it was by today's standards pretty dire. I've got every issue between 1963 and 1988 plus a few bound copies from the fifties. WB's biased and uninformative road tests are a joke compared to Frankel's. We put up with it at the time because we didn't know any better. People who say they haven't read MS for ten years really need to do some serious browsing. It's one of the month's highlights when it thumps onto the front door mat, so Damien, Simon, Doug, Andrew and the rest of the gang, thank you and keep up the good work.
Chris

Incidentally, if anyone wants my old copies they are very welcome to take them away. I'm in Warwickshire not far from the M40. PM me if interested.
Chris

#3994 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,437 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 13:41

I am not interested in the bike or USA pages, we could do without them.

Errr, those of us on this side of the pond will likely disagree with that view.

I echo the comments about the lack of coverage of many important races in the early days. I recently received the disc of the 1950s and was very surprised when I went to look up events only to discover that they were not covered.

Tom

#3995 john aston

john aston

• 841 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 17:45

Chris

Hear hear- I bought it sporadically in the 60s and 70s and only for DSJ stuff- the rest was often dire . It was ac omplete bloody shambles in the early 90s- just embarrassing .It is far better now than it was in bygone days - and although I am not a fan of Mr Frankel the person (don't ask...) he writes well enough and drives capably on track.

#3996 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,274 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 17:51

...he writes well enough.

I was agreeing with your every word, up to that point.

#3997 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,636 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 18:15

and although I am not a fan of Mr Frankel the person he writes well enough and drives capably on track.

What most of you do not know is that Mr Frankel played a crucial role holding the fort, and holding the thing together IIRC, at what must be regarded as a critical time for the magazine.

Articles based on pseudo advertorials are regular facts in most magazines, especially ISTR when the car is due to be auctioned or is for sale. Get used to it. It is hard enough, I imagine, finding appropriate topics to interest a broad readership at the best of times, and they offer a useful, and invariably comprehensive filler done with the blessing of the owner or vendor. It also means that the magazines gain access to some top cars.

For my part, I found AF's piece on McLaren and the MP4-12C very informative, for reasons and the timing of which some of you will be aware.

Contrary to what some of you might believe, MS, as ever, continues to be produced by a very small staffing level.
Roger Lund

#3998 Charlieman

Charlieman

• 284 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 18:49

Articles based on pseudo advertorials are regular facts in most magazines, especially ISTR when the car is due to be auctioned or is for sale.

Motor Sport and other magazines have two sorts of advertorial, from what I see. There are the fluff pieces about a new road model or the company-- McLaren are proficient at generating these -- and then there are track tests of cars that are on the market. If the only way to get access to an old racer is an advertorial, I can tolerate it. I hate to imagine the insurance bills that the seller is paying.

Whilst I try to skip the fluff pieces, the recent photo story about the McLaren team centre was unavoidable. The photo of ranks of engineers, uniformly clad in team shirts, observing the race and telemtry on screens miles from the track sticks in my mind. That's not sport, it's like NASA (but at NASA they wear civilian clothes). And after all that, they're only 10 seconds a lap quicker than HRT.

#3999 nicanary

nicanary

• 463 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:43

Motor Sport and other magazines have two sorts of advertorial, from what I see. There are the fluff pieces about a new road model or the company-- McLaren are proficient at generating these -- and then there are track tests of cars that are on the market. If the only way to get access to an old racer is an advertorial, I can tolerate it. I hate to imagine the insurance bills that the seller is paying.

Whilst I try to skip the fluff pieces, the recent photo story about the McLaren team centre was unavoidable. The photo of ranks of engineers, uniformly clad in team shirts, observing the race and telemtry on screens miles from the track sticks in my mind. That's not sport, it's like NASA (but at NASA they wear civilian clothes). And after all that, they're only 10 seconds a lap quicker than HRT.

I started a thread about this very thing on a different forum, and was amazed by the response, which was basically along the lines of "it's the norm now, and it's absolutely necessary if you want to stay ahead". My argument is that the teams are supposed to be trying to cut costs - surely they don't need to pay a guy in uniform to check the telemetry for the thickness of the pit-crew's sandwiches. I suggested that Big Ron probably has secret rooms at the "lair" that we don't know about, stuffed with 6-year olds assembling carbon-fibre wing updates.

The photo-story in question was effectively an advertisement for a newly-published and very expensive picture-book about the McLaren enterprise. I REALLY can't imagine dear Bruce getting involved in these sort of shenanigans.

Advertisement

#4000 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 458 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 13:36

If they are looking for content they could get out and about and get to some of the less commercial historic events, VSCC, MGCC, HSCC, CSCC etc, or some hill climbs and they would catch up with some interesting cars and people who are not the ones to go to Monaco, Goodwood etc. Ed Foster does race his dad's ex works MGB form time to time and even Frankel races!
They must in due course run out of big names to feature. How many times have they done Clark, Senna, Moss etc? Is there anything more to say about them?