Photo

Unsung heros: best F1 saves

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 ZenSpeed

ZenSpeed

• 1,192 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 02:11

which is the best intervention from the marshals that avoided more serious consequences to the driver?

I have Imola in mind with Berger. Any other examples:

http://www.youtube.c...ec-HM-fresh div

Advertisement

#2 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 02:22

Hakkinen

#3 Dispenser89

Dispenser89

• 3,460 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:21

Barrichello at Imola.

Edited by Dispenser89, 02 August 2009 - 04:23.

#4 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,615 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:30

Any marshals that attended to Taki Inoue without flipping his car or knocking him over.

#5 Turbo4

Turbo4

• 680 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:46

Hakkinen in Adelaide. The Australian doctor performed an emergency tracheotomy that saved his life.

#6 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,184 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:26

If you extend it to include drivers saving their colleagues, two examples spring to mind:

Kyalami 1973 - Mike Hailwood and marshals helped Clay Regazzoni

Nurburgring 1976 - Merzario, Lunger, Ertl and Edwards pulled Niki Lauda from his Ferrari.

#7 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:55

Not a marshal but the safety car driver (Bernd Maylander iirc) saving Liuzzi's ass when he comes storming out of the pitlane during that crazy Nurburgring 2007 race.

check at 1m20 when he just manages to get the safetycar out of the way of Liuzzi's out of control car.

#8 stevvy1986

stevvy1986

• 3,168 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:08

Not F1 but I remember might have been a couple of years ago, a driver saving another driver after he'd gone off, had a huge smash, and fuel was spilling all around, and he managed to pull the guy clear before the car caught fire. Can't remember who, but I think at the Autosport Awards that year he got a Gregor Grant Award (was either 2007 or 2008)

#9 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 16:01

Panther, Penske and Ganassi guys for their reaction to Tony Kanaans fire at Edmonton.

#10 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 16:03

Not a marshal but the safety car driver (Bernd Maylander iirc) saving Liuzzi's ass when he comes storming out of the pitlane during that crazy Nurburgring 2007 race.

check at 1m20 when he just manages to get the safetycar out of the way of Liuzzi's out of control car.

Good example. Really not necessarily injury saving, but certainly equipment and confusion saving!

THAT was quick thinking.

#11 WACKO

WACKO

• 2,293 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 17:40

You guys forget the mother of all saves. Niki Lauda litterally being saved from the flames by Arturo Merzario at the Nordschleife.

EDIT: sorry I missed the third line in Cougar508's post.

Edited by WACKO, 02 August 2009 - 17:42.

#12 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,151 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 18:03

Not F1 but I remember might have been a couple of years ago, a driver saving another driver after he'd gone off, had a huge smash, and fuel was spilling all around, and he managed to pull the guy clear before the car caught fire. Can't remember who, but I think at the Autosport Awards that year he got a Gregor Grant Award (was either 2007 or 2008)

That was James Winslow rescuing Moreno Soeprapto at the Sentul race of the 2006 Asian Formula Three Championship.

#13 alfista

alfista

• 1,015 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 18:06

It's not F1, but I recall a story from RAC rally when a car ended up in the lake and rescuers had to save the crew from under the water. Don't remember names or year though

#14 stevvy1986

stevvy1986

• 3,168 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 18:08

That was James Winslow rescuing Moreno Soeprapto at the Sentul race of the 2006 Asian Formula Three Championship.

That's the 1, thanks :)

#15 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,151 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 18:08

Barrichello at Imola.

That was a good job by the medical team, but not the marshals, who righted Barrichello's car roughly when he was still unconscious. It could have had serious consequences if his neck had been damaged.

Edited by midgrid, 02 August 2009 - 18:08.

#16 alfista

alfista

• 1,015 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 18:31

which is the best intervention from the marshals that avoided more serious consequences to the driver?

I have Imola in mind with Berger. Any other examples:

http://www.youtube.c...ec-HM-fresh div

IIRC Berger gifted a fully equiped rescue car to the track after his crash for marshals excellent job.

#17 Tolyngee

Tolyngee

• 1,352 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 21:39

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

http://www.youtube.c...p;v=OaODVWmbfMI

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Érik_Comas

Comas credits Senna with saving his life by Senna holding his head properly (which Senna had learned from the medical staff, I believe from Sid Watkins himself) after his accident at 1992 Spa.

#18 Desdirodeabike

Desdirodeabike

• 1,953 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 22:31

David Purley is an unsung hero to me. Even though he didnt manage to save his friend Roger Williamson.

It both saddens and angers me every time I see this. The marshalls are standing idly by and the fire truck just up the track decided to go around the entire circuit instead of just the few hundreds of metres to the crash. Why the race wasnt stopped immediately is a travesty. RIP Williamson and Purley.
Im sure most in here know all about the incident, but click the "more info" button for the entire story if you are unfamiliar. Its heart wrenching stuff though.

#19 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 22:37

:clap: Without his attention that lad wouldn't have got out. There wasn't a fire extinguisher in sight.

Advertisement

#20 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 6,513 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:36

:up: to all the marshalls, esp the drivers who went out of their way to help a fellow driver.

#21 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:59

David Purley is an unsung hero to me. Even though he didnt manage to save his friend Roger Williamson.

It both saddens and angers me every time I see this. The marshalls are standing idly by and the fire truck just up the track decided to go around the entire circuit instead of just the few hundreds of metres to the crash. Why the race wasnt stopped immediately is a travesty. RIP Williamson and Purley.
Im sure most in here know all about the incident, but click the "more info" button for the entire story if you are unfamiliar. Its heart wrenching stuff though.

It was sad because most thought that Purley was upset that HIS car was on fire and not realising that Williamson was actually in the car. The drivers, who thought that Purley wanted their fire extinguishers, were actually annoyed at Purley for standing on the track and a couple mouthed off after the race before they knew the true story which bought a lot of bad feelings about the whole mess.

#22 apoka

apoka

• 5,878 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:58

Slightly offtopic, but Heidfeld looks as solid as always in such a crazy race. :lol: It is actually part of his 38-consecutive-classified-finishes record.

#23 Desdirodeabike

Desdirodeabike

• 1,953 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:59

It was sad because most thought that Purley was upset that HIS car was on fire and not realising that Williamson was actually in the car. The drivers, who thought that Purley wanted their fire extinguishers, were actually annoyed at Purley for standing on the track and a couple mouthed off after the race before they knew the true story which bought a lot of bad feelings about the whole mess.

Oh God. It cant get any worse than that. Mess indeed :(

#24 Taxi

Taxi

• 4,799 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:47

dam, that was sad. :| My respect to Purley! hero!
And those marshals where to blame. They even didn't hep turning over the car. :down:

Edited by Taxi, 03 August 2009 - 10:49.

#25 Desdirodeabike

Desdirodeabike

• 1,953 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:30

And those marshals where to blame. They even didn't hep turning over the car. :down:

Yea. In their defense they didnt have any protective clothes on. But Im sure a collective quick push on the wheels from the 5-6 of them would have done it.
Well, its history now but its a black spot on Holland as a race organising nation. Race should have been stopped immediately for starters.

#26 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,901 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:39

Taxi,

I won't defend what happened that day on Zandvoort. it was an embarrasment. And only because the track Control room did not have a TV installed......

As for why the fire truck didn't drive against traffic there is a good example of the risks involved in that.
I doubt if the fire workers or other people in control were aware about it but some weeks before at Indianapolis, right afteer the crash of Swede savage, a fire truck ran in opposite direction throught the pitlane and struck a mechanic who was killed.
I know, driving at the pittlane at Indy trought a crowd or on a GP track. But nevertheless, there was a recent precedent of the dangers involve in driving opposite driections.

But what I write is this.
It is known about David Purley that, when he saw back the TV footage later on, he noticed that the track marchals wore no fire proof clothing, one of them a plastic coat in case of bad weather.
He then said something to the extend that now he saw this, he understood why they didn't stepped forward to help. because they would have endagered their own lives with risking to be set on fire themselves. And given that, he couldn't blame them for not helping hime anymore. Even if they wanted, they simply couldn't without taking risk for even more injured.

I think that this even more proves what an extra-ordinary man Purley was. To b e able to back track on any earlier comments and defend the ones who were supposed to help him but were unable to.

Henri

#27 Desdirodeabike

Desdirodeabike

• 1,953 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:43

It is known about David Purley that, when he saw back the TV footage later on, he noticed that the track marchals wore no fire proof clothing, one of them a plastic coat in case of bad weather.
He then said something to the extend that now he saw this, he understood why they didn't stepped forward to help. because they would have endagered their own lives with risking to be set on fire themselves. And given that, he couldn't blame them for not helping hime anymore. Even if they wanted, they simply couldn't without taking risk for even more injured.

I think that this even more proves what an extra-ordinary man Purley was. To be able to back track on any earlier comments and defend the ones who were supposed to help him but were unable to.

Henri

Well said Henri. But I guess it still angers me because it was so unnecessary and you feel Williamsons life could have easily been saved if circumstances had been different. Instead he died in a horrible way. They are both gone now, but not forgotten.

Soren

Roger Williamson: http://www.asag.sk/bio/wp11.jpg

David Purley @ Zandvoort: http://www.ronnieroc...w737-725883.jpg

#28 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,901 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 13:15

Well said Henri. But I guess it still angers me because it was so unnecessary and you feel Williamsons life could have easily been saved if circumstances had been different. Instead he died in a horrible way. They are both gone now, but not forgotten.

Soren

It angers me too to be honest. That `smokestack` should have been reason enought to red flag the race instantly. Even if with hindsight it would have been an overreaction, better an overreaction like that then no reaction at all.

Henri

#29 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 15:11

I think that this even more proves what an extra-ordinary man Purley was. To b e able to back track on any earlier comments and defend the ones who were supposed to help him but were unable to.

Henri

I would gladly risk serious harm to myself in order to save a fellow human from death. However I suppose it's unreasonable for me to expect the same of others.

#30 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 15:12

Soren

To add to your image of Purley and his obvious distress:

http://www.inovagent.../random/WTH.jpg

#31 Taxi

Taxi

• 4,799 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 15:59

Taxi,

I

Henri

Thanks for the aditional explanation. Trully a dificult moment for everyone, I wasn't born yet so i missed it.

Even so. Even so.. I think the 5 guys all together would flip the car around in a few seconds and the poor driver would have a chance. But ok... It was the 70's...

#32 Tolyngee

Tolyngee

• 1,352 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 03:16

I would gladly risk serious harm to myself in order to save a fellow human from death. However I suppose it's unreasonable for me to expect the same of others.

Exactly. Thank goodness real firefighters and real rescue personnel also see themselves in this light: