Photo

Hexagon of Highgate, 1970s London bike dealer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sadie mae glutz

sadie mae glutz

• 24 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 15:40

Does anyone remember 'Hexagon of highgate', Italian bike dealer of north London in the 1970's and early 80's.
There was the bike shop in Highgate village, and the car dealer 200yards down North hill. The bike shop had Ducati's, Laverda's, Moto Morini's, Moto Guzzi's, Benelli's, and MV Augusta's and the car site had a display of racing Jaguars in its upstairs window display.

Does anyone have any photos? Or seen something, somewhere I can take a look at?

Edited by sadie mae glutz, 02 August 2009 - 15:45.

Advertisement

#2 F3Wrench

F3Wrench

• 98 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:49

Sadly I have no pics of Hexagon, but I remember it well. I was at Highgate School and often did a quick "detour" on the way back from school to the boarding house (actually going out-of-bounds, a punishable offence!) to check out the fantastic machinery in the showroom window; and then later after I left school I worked for Serck Radiator Services and Hexagon was on my patch. Obviously I did not do a great deal of business with them, but I remember the company and the cars and bikes on display very well. Didn't they have some sort of tie-up with TVR cars, or did I dream that?

John.

#3 sadie mae glutz

sadie mae glutz

• 24 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:34

Hello John,

I grew up in highgate and was nine or ten years old when I first ventured there alone to see the loud, smoky motorbikes that had astounded me as they thundered past our house. It was my first destination when I decided 'stay in our street' was a rule to be broken. I was so young and such a regular there that they allowed me a free run of the place. I sat on the bikes in the showroom and watched the mechanics working. I vividly remember the Ducati ss750's and the six exhausts on the Benelli 750 sei. I would shadow the bikers who were there to pick their bikes up from the service dept and stand as close as I could when they started up their bikes to ride away.
The Car site had a c-type and a d-type on display and the most modern car I can remember seing there, was a short wheelbase Audi Quattro, which must make the year around 1985? They were BMW dealers but they had every worthwhile car through there at one time or another. The Boss was called Paul Michaels and he was always friendly and accommodating, handing me brochures, and teaching me about and letting me sit in any car I asked him about.

Sondel sport in Highbury and 'Beaver bikes' on Archway road were also points of interest but I believe my love of cars and motorbikes must surely be due to Hexagon of Highgate.

I wonder if any period magazines have an article where a bike is photographed with Hexagon in the backround?

Hexagon of Highgate had motorsport connections too, so I wonder if Paul Michaels is a member here?

Edited by sadie mae glutz, 03 August 2009 - 12:00.

#4 Pete Leonard

Pete Leonard

• 7 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 17:40

Hi,
Hexagon were customers of mine when I worked for National Tyres in Holloway Road. They used to bring all sorts of exotic cars down for tyres, Jensens,TVRs , the odd Ferrari & even an AC Cobra. this was after I worked for Sondel Sport, in those days they were in a small shop on the corner of Stapleton Hall Road, at Crouch End, dealing with Yamahas,Hondas and Suzukis