Photo

NASCAR road course bonanza! Cup and Nationwide at WATKINS GLEN

• Please log in to reply
564 replies to this topic

#1 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 00:14

Hey guys. The entry lists are posted, so I figured it's time.

Fourty-SIX cars are entered for the Cup race, including Terry Labonte, so ten cars will vie for seven non-guaranteed spots in the field. Story: http://www.scenedail...tkins_Glen.html

As for the Nationwide race, fourty-NINE cars are entered! Story: http://www.scenedail...tkins_Glen.html

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the Nationwide series continues to run with provisions to run in the rain, including windshield wipers and rain tyres.

The two favorites for the nationwide race by far are Marcos Ambrose and Kyle Busch.

As for Cup, as always, GO JUAN PABLO MONTOYA!

Advertisement

#2 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• 4,056 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:47

I see the 42 is entered for the Nationwide race. Here is hoping JPM gets a run out maybe?

#3 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 13:17

Take a lap with Tony Kanaan

#4 TwoCents

TwoCents

• 448 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 14:01

Hey guys. The entry lists are posted, so I figured it's time.

Fourty-SIX cars are entered for the Cup race, including Terry Labonte, so ten cars will vie for seven non-guaranteed spots in the field. Story: http://www.scenedail...tkins_Glen.html

As for the Nationwide race, fourty-NINE cars are entered! Story: http://www.scenedail...tkins_Glen.html

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the Nationwide series continues to run with provisions to run in the rain, including windshield wipers and rain tyres.

The two favorites for the nationwide race by far are Marcos Ambrose and Kyle Busch.

As for Cup, as always, GO JUAN PABLO MONTOYA!

Can't wait for this one at the Glen, gonna be good! :clap:

#5 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 14:24

I wish there were more road races in NASCAR. Some 4 or 5 a year would be great.

#6 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 14:47

I'm not sure it would work because of cars/track size issues, but it would have been nice if they had picked up the Montreal race that F-1 dropped.

#7 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,429 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 15:10

Interestingly, for all the doom and gloom in the ecconomy, there were 46 entries last year.

GO Marcos !

#8 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 15:20

I agree. Especially one in the Chase. It will happen, I think. Seems like such a waste to have a special car just for two races a year. Even restrictor plate style racing gets four races a year.

Wow 215 MPH? And that blue armco is damn close. No wonder F1 won't go!

#9 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 16:00

I'm thinking that this race comes at a perfect time for the overall motorsports world. All the European series are on a month long break. And here we are with two races in the same weekend, on a road course. A road course where Formula One has some pretty significant history.

Wonder how/if the competition will be billed in Europe. I understand the Pocono race was available on SKY sports.

#10 Phucaigh

Phucaigh

• 2,839 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 16:09

I see the 42 is entered for the Nationwide race. Here is hoping JPM gets a run out maybe?

http://www.nascar.co...entry_list.html

The 42 is entered by Chip Ganassi but driver is TBA so who knows.

#11 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• 4,056 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 16:18

I'm thinking that this race comes at a perfect time for the overall motorsports world. All the European series are on a month long break. And here we are with two races in the same weekend, on a road course. A road course where Formula One has some pretty significant history.

Wonder how/if the competition will be billed in Europe. I understand the Pocono race was available on SKY sports.

We get all the races on Sky Sports here in the UK. :)

#12 FlashMaster

FlashMaster

• 1,901 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 16:29

Sky Germany broadcasted until 2007. Don't know if Nascar wanted to much money or Sky couldn't afford. I'd say it's option 2

#13 Phucaigh

Phucaigh

• 2,839 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 21:09

We get all the races on Sky Sports here in the UK. :)

.......and Ireland and before Sky Sports we got it on NASN, the North American Sports Network.

#14 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• 4,056 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 21:17

.......and Ireland and before Sky Sports we got it on NASN, the North American Sports Network.

Yep, good old NASN. Loved their coverage as they just gave us the American show minus most of the ads. Also got Busch races.

Although I remember a large section of the 2007 Chase being delayed coverage due to cricket which made me mad.

#15 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 22:25

Cool site
http://www.sportsclu...com/NASCAR.html

according to it Montoya has a 89.9 % chance of making the chase..

#16 Phucaigh

Phucaigh

• 2,839 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 23:25

Yep, good old NASN. Loved their coverage as they just gave us the American show minus most of the ads. Also got Busch races.

Although I remember a large section of the 2007 Chase being delayed coverage due to cricket which made me mad.

Oh yeah the cricket and bloody rain.....

Yeah NASN was good, who knows what will happen next year, isn't the deal with Sky up so whether it renewed or if ESPN will have it, who knows.

#17 stevvy1986

stevvy1986

• 3,168 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 00:06

Well we used to get the Busch Series (now Nationwide) occasionally on Motors TV (definitely remember that purely because of the Bristol race which got red flagged due to snow and saw snowball fights between the crews, as well as between the drivers and the fans), but as others have said, we've had the Sprint Cup live on Sky Sports in the UK since last year (every race, even when delayed to the following day)

#18 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 00:16

Cool site
http://www.sportsclu...com/NASCAR.html

according to it Montoya has a 89.9 % chance of making the chase..

Wow. Seriously awesome site. Looks like it uses Monte Carlo simulations.

#19 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 00:19

The 42 is entered by Chip Ganassi but driver is TBA so who knows.

iiiiinteresting.

I had no idea NASCAR was so easy to watch in the UK. Glad you guys have some form of motorsport to watch over the next couple of weeks! Road racing, even!

Advertisement

#20 Exar Kun

Exar Kun

• 1,177 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 03:56

I'm looking forward to this - in Oz on free to air we get the full Nationwide races now but not the Sprint Cup. Seems a bit backwards but I guess the Sprint Cup costs a whole lot more. Still, should be a good one.

#21 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 05:09

I'm looking forward to this - in Oz on free to air we get the full Nationwide races now but not the Sprint Cup. Seems a bit backwards but I guess the Sprint Cup costs a whole lot more. Still, should be a good one.

Well Ambrose is in the nationwide race too and in that one the cup guys will be taking more risks, plus I think Ambrose's equipment is more competitive in Nationwide so it should be fun

#22 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:50

The Sprint Cup is exclusive on Foxtel isn't it?

Much of the programming on free-to-air channel One (start-up second-string sports channel by Ten) appears to have been purchased in exchange for peanuts. I mean skateboard tricks and old surfing reels to pad out the channel in prime time programming, seriously??? ;)

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 06 August 2009 - 06:50.

#23 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,124 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:51

Wow 215 MPH? And that blue armco is damn close. No wonder F1 won't go!

Exactly what I was thinking, those cars are way too fast for the safety provisions there. Amazing track though, great onboard.

#24 WildmouseX

WildmouseX

• 2,654 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 15:37

ambrose doing double duty... from jayski.com

Last year, Marcos Ambrose became a first-time NASCAR race winner taking the checkered flag in the Nationwide Series Zippo 200 at Watkins Glen International, driving for JTG-Daugherty Racing owned by Tad and Jodi Geschickter and Brad Daugherty. For his first Sprint Cup race at The Glen, he started 43rd and finished third in only his third start. Ambrose's impressive run with Wood Brothers [#21 Ford] landed him his career-best finish by crossing the finish line in third-place. Now, Ambrose is pulling double duty again at the 2.45-mile road course. On Saturday, he climbs behind the wheel of the #47 STP Octane Booster Toyota fielded by JTG-Daugherty Racing and looks to repeat with support from his Sprint Cup Series crew chief Frank Kerr and his #47 Little Debbie Toyota Racing pit crew. Then on Sunday, Ambrose aims to supersede his career-best finish [3rd] matched at Sonoma (Infineon Raceway) this season. Following Pocono on Monday, Ambrose left Monday afternoon straight to Dover International Speedway for a two-day Goodyear tire test. In addition to Ambrose running the Nationwide and Cup Series events, he will be kicking up some dirt at Black Rock Speedway in Dundee, NY on Friday night.(MWR)(8-6-2009)

#25 Phucaigh

Phucaigh

• 2,839 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 19:41

Looks like Ganassi has withdrawn the 42 car from the nationwide race.

#26 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 15:47

Track is hot.
1st Practice
Live Leaderboard

http://www.nascar.co...d/cup/practice/

#27 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 17:31

I like to look at average times..
JJ is fastest followed by RobbieG and they JPM..

#28 Lada Lover

Lada Lover

• 4,278 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 20:59

Speedvision shows practise in HD. I'm happy I signed up yesterday even though it costs 9 bucks a month.

#29 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 21:05

Do IndyCars really get up to 215mph at the Glen? I'd have thought 175-180 max. They aren't running the same sort of configuration they would at a Superspeedway, ya know?

I think he's exaggerating a little bit on the commentary. He says quite a few times, "This is taken flat-out", when you can clearly hear that he's lifting.

#30 DLaw

DLaw

• 1,614 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 00:13

Why is JPM not happy with Hamlin?

Nice segment with Papis on Trackside.

#31 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 00:15

Why is JPM not happy with Hamlin?

Damn, missed it.

Probably cos Hamlin was driving like a total asshole on Monday.

#32 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 00:21

Do IndyCars really get up to 215mph at the Glen? I'd have thought 175-180 max. They aren't running the same sort of configuration they would at a Superspeedway, ya know?

I think he's exaggerating a little bit on the commentary. He says quite a few times, "This is taken flat-out", when you can clearly hear that he's lifting.

Here's an example of how fast the Nationwide cars go; check out Jason Leffler and his car doing their impression of a helicopter today:

http://www.nascar.co...leffler.nascar/

#33 WildmouseX

WildmouseX

• 2,654 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 00:49

there's a reason why we call him left turn.

#34 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 01:14

there's a reason why we call him left turn.

Left Turn Leffler? lol

Anyone watching the Rolex Grand Am series? Showing on SPEED on tape delay I think. Pretty good race with about 43 mins to go.

#35 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 14:15

nationwide qualifying is on now.

OMG! There are multiple cars on the track at the same time for qualifying in NASCAR!

Looks like they send groups of six cars out on track for five minutes at a time. Interesting.

#36 paulogman

paulogman

• 2,642 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 14:55

what a cool race track. gotta love the old school look of the place. no miles of runoff here.

#37 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 15:11

what a cool race track. gotta love the old school look of the place. no miles of runoff here.

There is in some places, like where Brad Keselowski just spun out!

#38 Spunout

Spunout

• 12,351 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 15:35

Huge gaps there...ATM 1.3 secs from fastest time means top 10 spot.

Ambrose in the class of his own thus far. Good lap by Speed, 2nd.

Big names from Cup (Busch, Harvick, Biffle) in last group.

Edited by Spunout, 08 August 2009 - 15:35.

#39 Spunout

Spunout

• 12,351 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 15:44

Harvick surprises with fastest time! Robby takes 2nd spot.

Busch had top 5 pace, but locked up the brakes.

Should be competitive race today...

Edited by Spunout, 08 August 2009 - 15:44.

Advertisement

#40 Spunout

Spunout

• 12,351 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 15:48

Correction; Robby 3rd, not 2nd.

Top 5:

1. Harvick
2. Ambrose
3. Gordon
4. Speed
5. Hamlin

#41 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 16:02

Nationwide qualifying follow-up:

Interesting to know, even though it's an impound race, if you just change ONE tyre, for example due to a puncture, you get to keep your starting spot.

This was good news for Brad Keselowski.

But I wonder if this same rule applies to Busch, who may have a huge flat spot (Hamiltonesque)?

The Cup race is obviously not an impound race, they've already qualified and they're having practice.

Edited by OfficeLinebacker, 08 August 2009 - 16:03.

#42 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 16:15

great interview.
:up:

#43 WildmouseX

WildmouseX

• 2,654 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 16:17

wheel hop rules.

#44 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 16:54

great interview.

I'm a big fan of Mad Max. I wonder if that show is available for download.

He's sooo enthusiastic, and non from the USA--two things I love in NASCAR drivers.

You guys see mr. Antonio Perez' strong qualifying effort for the Nationwide race? Apparently he won the NASCAR Mexico Corona series last year and planned to break into the USA national touring series this season but his sponsors, Telmex and I forget who else, wanted him to defend his title in Mexico. So he's getting a late start to his plan but I think he hopes to do an ARCA race so he can get his license to do NASCAR ovals, and contest Montreal as well as a few other N'wide races this season.

He apparently owns the track record at Watkins Glen for the Camping World East series? I also just found out the regional series use almost identical cars, but bias ply tyres as opposed to the radials used in the national series.

#45 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 17:06

Max Papis nice and fast in practice two, P5, baby! Starts 16th. I'm slating him for a top-10 assuming the madmen behind him don't see that yellow stripe on his bumper and try to pound it into oblivion

#46 WildmouseX

WildmouseX

• 2,654 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 17:10

umm didn't anyone tell you that yellow stripe is basicly a "kick me" sign?

#47 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 17:11

umm didn't anyone tell you that yellow stripe is basicly a "kick me" sign?

LOL yeah I know that which is why I mentioned it!

Also, JJ and Big Busch starting next to each other? tee hee

#48 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 17:27

I'm a big fan of Mad Max. I wonder if that show is available for download.

He's sooo enthusiastic, and non from the USA--two things I love in NASCAR drivers.

yes he is. Really cool guy - very humble and honest.. He comes from a very tiny town in Italy, his mentor and hero was Ayrton Senna.. The same guy that discovered Senna in go-karts or junior formula (can't remember) was Max's racing coach. He also remembered Greg Moore .
As usual they asked him the typical comparison questions about racing in different series and he says NASCAR is so competitve that you can't even breath otherwise you go to the back in a hearbeat. He said the thrills of Talladega is the most exciting, wild racing he's ever done in his life. He wishes he would have tried NASCAR much earlier in his career because he loves it here .

#49 Menace

Menace

• 12,799 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 17:30

yes he is. Really cool guy - very humble and honest.. He comes from a very tiny town in Italy, his mentor and hero was Ayrton Senna.. The same guy that discovered Senna in go-karts or junior formula (can't remember) was Max's racing coach. He also remembered Greg Moore .
As usual they asked him the typical comparison questions about racing in different series and he says NASCAR is so competitve that you can't even breath otherwise you go to the back in a hearbeat. He said the thrills of Talladega is the most exciting, wild racing he's ever done in his life. He wishes he would have tried NASCAR much earlier in his career because he loves it here .

Papis is a class act.

#50 DLaw

DLaw

• 1,614 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 17:31

Follow Max and JPM on Twitter, two nicest guys out there.