Photo

Bernie: Spa on the calender every second year

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 KiloWatt

KiloWatt

• 1,296 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:31

It seems the old one has completely lost his mind. He wants the most sought after race to alternate year by year with nurburgring! Why, pray, would he want to do such a dastardly thing. It can only be $$.

http://www.f1technic...80d42bfdaa36f7d

When shall we schedule the crucifixion?

Advertisement

#2 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:32

It seems the old one has completely lost his mind. He wants the most sought after race to alternate year by year with nurburgring! Why, pray, would he want to do such a dastardly thing. It can only be $$.

http://www.f1technic...80d42bfdaa36f7d

When shall we schedule the crucifixion?

Nah.

Hang, drawn and quartered is a more appropriate demise for such a crime.

#3 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,787 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:33

Indeed if so then id rather see Nurburgring lose it's place if necessary to keep Spa on the calender every year.

The most logical thing is just to rotate hockenheim and the nurburgring as it was done before.

#4 KiloWatt

KiloWatt

• 1,296 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:39

Indeed if so then id rather see Nurburgring lose it's place if necessary to keep Spa on the calender every year.

The most logical thing is just to rotate hockenheim and the nurburgring as it was done before.

Exactly. Why change the arrangement? It works well enough for most, I suspect.

#5 BRK

BRK

• 5,197 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:45

Neighbours,MA: let's alternate Bahrain with China as they're on the same continent and are practically neighbours.

#6 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:49

Well the Nürburgring is one of my favourite circuits so I'd rather that and Spa stick around every year. Hockeheim, having been castrated, I wouldn't terribly miss.

Although I do miss having an excuse to stay in Heidelberg every so often :(

#7 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,787 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:50

Well the Nürburgring is one of my favourite circuits so I'd rather that and Spa stick around every year. Hockeheim, having been castrated, I wouldn't terribly miss.

Although I do miss having an excuse to stay in Heidelberg every so often :(

I do agree with you id also rather have hockenheim being cut off in favor of either the nurburgring or spa but seeing as Bernie is getting involved in Hockenheim then im sure it won't be dropped.

#8 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 6,513 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:02

I do agree with you id also rather have hockenheim being cut off in favor of either the nurburgring or spa but seeing as Bernie is getting involved in Hockenheim then im sure it won't be dropped.

Maybe its his fav shagging place.

#9 stevvy1986

stevvy1986

• 3,168 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:07

He's lost his mind. Why alternate 1 of the most legendary tracks in F1 and the Nurburgring? Why not just alternate the 2 German races? Someone needs to give Bernie's head a good shake if he thinks alternating Spa with ANYWHERE is a good idea. Spa should be an automatic on the calendar EVERY year.

#10 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:10

He's lost his mind. Why alternate 1 of the most legendary tracks in F1 and the Nurburgring? Why not just alternate the 2 German races? Someone needs to give Bernie's head a good shake if he thinks alternating Spa with ANYWHERE is a good idea. Spa should be an automatic on the calendar EVERY year.

Hockenheim can't afford the race any more, so it won't be there at all. Nurburgring could only afford one race every two years, which means they're stuffed now that Hockenheim has dropped out. Presumably Spa has similar money issues.

It's all money. Surprise surprise.

#11 grunge

grunge

• 5,393 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:12

:up:

#12 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:13

Are people ignoring the fact that the likes of Spa are losing money each and everytime they host a grand prix and that their title sponsor ING is also pulling out at the end of the season?

#13 dabrasco

dabrasco

• 2,170 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:13

this is some bulls*** :mad:

#14 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:14

Are people ignoring the fact that the likes of Spa are losing money each and everytime they host a grand prix and that their title sponsor ING is also pulling out at the end of the season?

no but I think people are secretly hoping that Bernie will realize certain tracks need to be on the F1 calendar and will consider reducing his utterly stupid hosting fees

#15 Snap Matt

Snap Matt

• 1,157 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:44

no but I think people are secretly hoping that Bernie will realize certain tracks need to be on the F1 calendar and will consider reducing his utterly stupid hosting fees

Sadly there is a better chance of a rain-free Spa weekend than there is of Bernie doing that.

Has Bernie ever expressed an opinion on the merits of a track rather than on the facilities there for his VIPs?

#16 Don_Humpador

Don_Humpador

• 2,223 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:08

Has Bernie ever expressed an opinion on the merits of a track rather than on the facilities there for his VIPs?

Exactly.

All the new tracks are dull as anything. In my opinion only Singapore has "atmosphere", but the track itself is pretty dump :down:

Spa is one of my 3 favourites of the year with Suzuka and Monza, and Bernie's going to ruin it if it means he can pocket a few extra.

Spa HAS to be on the calendar, every year.

#17 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,911 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:16

This again shows that it is not the problem that circuits cannot afford to hold a Grand Prix, but rather that B.C. Ecclestone and his vulture fund brethren asking for too high a price for it.

#18 Snap Matt

Snap Matt

• 1,157 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:21

This again shows that it is not the problem that circuits cannot afford to hold a Grand Prix, but rather that B.C. Ecclestone and his vulture fund brethren asking for too high a price for it.

That plenty of venues do manage to pay those prices must give Bernie and co some confidence that they are asking the right price. They don't seem to be sustainable prices, but there isn't yet a huge shortage of new places to bleed dry before rolling on. It's going to take something more for Bernie to change his ways.

#19 1fastSS

1fastSS

• 626 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:21

First the US GP, then Canada and now Spa? Soon will be racing in Antarctica. Bernie should consult a doctor about his head injury.

Edited by 1fastSS, 05 August 2009 - 11:22.

Advertisement

#20 Taxi

Taxi

• 4,805 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:26

and yet Spain as two Gp's. There's a Gp in Barhain, Abu Dabhi, Singapure, and Malasia. I understand money is important, but Bernie is plain senile to keep Spa out.

Edited by Taxi, 05 August 2009 - 11:29.

#21 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,911 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:36

That plenty of venues do manage to pay those prices must give Bernie and co some confidence that they are asking the right price. They don't seem to be sustainable prices, but there isn't yet a huge shortage of new places to bleed dry before rolling on. It's going to take something more for Bernie to change his ways.

For sure (pun intended) it does, you're right about that. But those races in Asia and the Middle-East are not commercially viable. They're government marketing exersises. Ecclestone and CVC Capital Partners don't care about that, though.

If, say, the USA would fork out some 50 million dollars per year, they'd have 2 Grands Prix. Same goes for Germany, Belgium, or Liechtenstein or the Vatican, for that matter. However, most countries choose — and rightly so — that sports like these, that are run like a business, should indeed be run like a business, and not be dependent on government money.

On the other hand, however, some governments whom I'll shall not mention here, pour several billions of pounds into facilities for the Olympics, too. When why not pick up a 15 million pound tab for a classic, very popular Grand Prix when 6 of the 10 competing teams are in your country, with all the employment opportunities that come with that?

#22 Coral

Coral

• 6,786 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:52

Oh that's great, so we will have Spa, one of the best circuits on the calendar, every two years while every year we have to put up with races in the middle of nowhere and a half-empty Turkish GP. Bernie is completely crazy. ):

Edited by Coral, 05 August 2009 - 11:52.

#23 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:14

Can the CVC fire him for that?

#24 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:27

Can the CVC fire him for that?

It's probably CVC that are the reason for this. They need to take lots of money out of the sport.

#25 Snap Matt

Snap Matt

• 1,157 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:34

On the other hand, however, some governments whom I'll shall not mention here, pour several billions of pounds into facilities for the Olympics, too. When why not pick up a 15 million pound tab for a classic, very popular Grand Prix when 6 of the 10 competing teams are in your country, with all the employment opportunities that come with that?

However much sense it should make we know the reasons why it won't happen in the UK... the sport is perceived as being awash with money, so much so that Bernie tried to buy a favour from the government. I imagine for Belgium the benefits of having the race are a bit reduced, but on the other hand I don't think they have quite the same history with Bernie... still, like you said, the events should be able to sustain themselves.

#26 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,787 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 13:17

Oh that's great, so we will have Spa, one of the best circuits on the calendar, every two years while every year we have to put up with races in the middle of nowhere and a half-empty Turkish GP. Bernie is completely crazy. ):

Even if the Turkish GP was fully empty i would still love to have that track on the calender every year, that track is the best new track they have built over the last couple of years really. I could think of another few who would have to cut it before the turkish gp.

#27 Brawn BGP 001

Brawn BGP 001

• 5,961 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 13:23

Even if the Turkish GP was fully empty i would still love to have that track on the calender every year, that track is the best new track they have built over the last couple of years really. I could think of another few who would have to cut it before the turkish gp.

If you could move that track to somewhere like America, it would be rated as one of the best on the calander.

#28 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 13:30

The man is clearly trying to find a solution to the problem of there being no German Grand Prix on the calendar. Ideally, there would be a German and a Belgian Grand Prix every year, but what if that is not possible? You have to see out the next-best alternative, and if that is to alternate between Belgium and Germany - for the sake of keeping both on the calendar - it is hardly evidence that he has lost his mind.

#29 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,787 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 13:34

The man is clearly trying to find a solution to the problem of there being no German Grand Prix on the calendar. Ideally, there would be a German and a Belgian Grand Prix every year, but what if that is not possible? You have to see out the next-best alternative, and if that is to alternate between Belgium and Germany - for the sake of keeping both on the calendar - it is hardly evidence that he has lost his mind.

If you would have read it correctly you would have seen that he plans to keep Hockenheim on the calender every year so a fixed spot. So there you have the German GP.

So why alter every year between Spa and the Nurburgring? It's not worth it in my eyes, Spa should be on there every year just because of the track itself.

Edited by carbonfibre, 05 August 2009 - 13:34.