Schumacher and Niki Lauda going to Space

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 17,023 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:49

http://www.arabianbu...r-galactic-trip

Will Whitehorn, president of the world’s first space tourism company, Virgin Galactic, said in an interview with Arabian Business that the 300 customers who had already booked their $200,000 flight into space was made up of a ‘long list’ of actors, politicians, famous sportsmen and scientists.

MS is the latest to sign up, Lauda signed up a while ago.

The first f1 drivers in Space. :smoking:

G forces in f1 cars not enough, the next adventure is zero gravity buzz. :smoking:

Cool :up:

Edited by SeanValen, 06 August 2009 - 10:50.

Advertisement

#2 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

• 4,496 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:54

Hamilton and Barichello are ahead in the list AFAIK.

#3 plastik2k9

plastik2k9

• 509 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 11:02

It's good to see massive interest in Virgin Galactic. Hopefully their tests all go well and this can all get going in the next few years.

I'll be more interested when they start doing orbital flights rather than just a quick hop beyond the 100km altitude that is merely a 'standardised' boundary of space. That's not to say it wouldn't be a fantastic experience, or that you wouldn't be in space, I'd just personally consider my money better spent by entering orbit, something that probably won't be affordable for us in our own lifetimes. But hey, if they're charging $200k a flight just to enter space, they'll be making huge profits, which is fantastic considering the demand and what it will do to the foundations of future space tourism.

#4 Frans

Frans

• 8,753 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 11:08

Hmmmm, can't they shoot them to the moon instead? ... (and leave Schumacher there?)

#5 wdh

wdh

• 1,044 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 11:20

The point about Lauda though was that he wanted to pilot the thing ...

#6 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 11:29

I think Max should go into space. And be left there.

#7 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 13:00

I think Max should go into space. And be left there.

Take Bernie too. :up:

#8 DaleCooper

DaleCooper

• 2,512 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 20:04

Take Bernie too. :up:

Wait a minute, if we are going that route, may as well go to the sun and take a few more people along, say 95% of all the politicians and 70% of all bureaucrats. We may need a bigger ship, make it an Arc, and convince the "pretty" people to go as well, for the grand cause of repopulating the human race on a nice warm planet such as Mercury. Because, obviously, this planet is doomed. Vanity will get the better of them, trust me.

Cooper

#9 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 32,990 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 22:18

It's good to see massive interest in Virgin Galactic. Hopefully their tests all go well and this can all get going in the next few years.

I'll be more interested when they start doing orbital flights rather than just a quick hop beyond the 100km altitude that is merely a 'standardised' boundary of space. That's not to say it wouldn't be a fantastic experience, or that you wouldn't be in space, I'd just personally consider my money better spent by entering orbit, something that probably won't be affordable for us in our own lifetimes. But hey, if they're charging $200k a flight just to enter space, they'll be making huge profits, which is fantastic considering the demand and what it will do to the foundations of future space tourism.

Yep. The first American in space was Alan Shepard. Ask any American and they'll say John Glenn as he was the first to orbit.

By all accounts if this Space plane (SpaceShipTwo) is successful, they will build SpaceShipThree which will provide orbital flights.

#10 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast
  • Paddock Club Host

• 9,642 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 23:13

Wait a minute, if we are going that route, may as well go to the sun and take a few more people along, say 95% of all the politicians and 70% of all bureaucrats. We may need a bigger ship, make it an Arc, and convince the "pretty" people to go as well, for the grand cause of repopulating the human race on a nice warm planet such as Mercury. Because, obviously, this planet is doomed. Vanity will get the better of them, trust me.

Cooper

Something similar has been tried before (as if you didn't know). It was successful, but it b*ggered up a very complex experiment I was involved with. Not that the management noticed at the time.

I think this is just a test to answer the question from another thread - "Who is the dumbest F1 driver ever?"

How many F1 drivers have signed up without realising that the tickets say 'one way'?