Photo

The F1 Parallels Thread

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 13:21

A while ago, I got distracted and led everyone off-topic with a discussion where we drew parallels between the Formula One paddock and Terry Pratchett's Discworld. As entertaining as it was, the Mod Squad deleted it. Because it's a slow night in my corner of the world, I thought maybe it might be a bit of fun to do it again in its own place. If you don't know what I'm talking about, think back to the Family Guy episode "Blue Harvest". I can't stand the show, but the basic premise was that every character filled in the role of a Star Wars character. It's the same deal here: pick your parallel - Star Wars, Discworld, The Simpsons, whatever - and work out which driver or personality best fits which character.

I'm going to do Star Wars to get the ball rolling.

Luke Skywalker - Sebastian Vettel
Darth Vader - Luca di Montezemolo
Emperor Palpatine - Max Mosley
Han Solo - Jenson Button
Chewbacca - Kimi Raikkonen
Obi-Wan Kenobi - Rubens Barrichello
Yoda - Ross Brawn
Lando Calrissian - Lewis Hamilton
Princess Leia - Nicole Scherzinger
Grand Moff Tarkin - Frank Williams
Count Dooku - Flavio Briatore
Jabba the Hutt - Bernie Ecclestone
The Empire - FIA
Rebel Alliance - FOTA
Commerce Guild - CVC

And so on.

Your turn.

Edited by Captain Tightpants, 09 August 2009 - 13:22.

Advertisement

#2 BlackCat

BlackCat

• 945 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 13:55

somehow Rubens reminds me more Jar Jar Binks...

#3 auto-pictures

auto-pictures

• 10 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 14:01

somehow Rubens reminds me more Jar Jar Binks...

:lol:

Jabba the Hutt - Bernie Ecclestone

Priceless :rotfl:

#4 Apollonius

Apollonius

• 601 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 14:35

FFS take this shite to middle earth or wherever :rolleyes:

#5 mountford

mountford

• 430 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 16:28

Lando Calrissian - Lewis Hamilton

:rolleyes:

I couldn't see that one coming

#6 Ivan

Ivan

• 6,646 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 16:30

this is going to be a fun thread

#7 mountford

mountford

• 430 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 16:31

Count Dooku - Flavio Briatore Alan Donnelly

Better

#8 Brawn BGP 001

Brawn BGP 001

• 5,961 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 00:30

Most bizzare thread of the year. :rotfl:

#9 Snap Matt

Snap Matt

• 1,157 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:51

Han Solo - Jenson Button
Chewbacca - Kimi Raikkonen

I think Jenson would be a better Chewbacca, if only for the facial hair. Kimi is more of an R2D2 - never speaks, does his own thing. I'd put DC as Han Solo... or Irvine or Berger.

#10 Zippel

Zippel

• 1,145 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:54

Heh. As much as I am a Star Wars fan, I'm not going there. :)

#11 taran

taran

• 4,465 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:35

As much as I enjoy motorsport in all its guises, your Star Wars version makes no sense.

Its just a random listing of names and movie characters.
Why would Luca be Darth Vader? What similarity has that character with Luca's actions?

Why would Barrichello be Kenobi and Vettel be cast as Skywalker? There is no connection between them.

Or Jenson Button as Solo? Hardly a vagabond eeking out an existance now is he? Why not Webber as the experienced rogue who provides some much needed support and grounding for your Skywalker/Vettel.

In short, its just rubbish. If you want this thread to survive, how about providing it with something better to build on.

Edited by taran, 10 August 2009 - 10:36.

#12 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:17

In short, its just rubbish. If you want this thread to survive, how about providing it with something better to build on.

If you think you can do better, go ahead. The invitation is there. Otherwise, there's no need to be condescending about it.

#13 Snap Matt

Snap Matt

• 1,157 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:30

Why would Luca be Darth Vader? What similarity has that character with Luca's actions?

And when did Darth Vader become chairman of the Rebel Alliance? Did I miss that film?

#14 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:33

Surely Flavio is Jabba.

#15 taran

taran

• 4,465 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:33

If you think you can do better, go ahead. The invitation is there. Otherwise, there's no need to be condescending about it.

Well, everybody could do better. You just picked some starwars characters and linked them to F1 personalities. No rhyme or reason as far as I can see.

Why not flesh it out? Pick a theme. For example Fota vs. FIA as the Rebellion vs. the Empire and then match F1 personalities to Star Wars characters.
If Vettel is indeed your Skywalker, who'd be his Kenobi? Who would be Vader? Schumacher? But then who'd be Palpatine....?

Try to get a theme instead of this randomness.

#16 BlackCat

BlackCat

• 945 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:09

and now that ol' Sebulba is making his comeback...

#17 Ramses1348

Ramses1348

• 977 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:19

I think Jenson would be a better Chewbacca, if only for the facial hair. Kimi is more of an R2D2 - never speaks, does his own thing. I'd put DC as Han Solo... or Irvine or Berger.

100 % agree for Kimi as R2D2 and Jenson as Chewbacca (just listen to his radio transmissions, there are no words in those) :)

#18 Zippel

Zippel

• 1,145 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:22

Shall we include the EU? :lol: :lol:

#19 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,911 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:32

Posted Image

Advertisement

#20 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast
  • Paddock Club Host

• 9,651 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 13:18

As much as I enjoy motorsport in all its guises, your Star Wars version makes no sense.

Why would Luca be Darth Vader? What similarity has that character with Luca's actions? The Emperor/President's former accomplice who turned against him in the end.

Why would Barrichello be Kenobi and Vettel be cast as Skywalker? There is no connection between them. Barrichello was 'struck down' (by LdM) only to become more powerful (at Brawn) than Ferrari could ever have imagined. And Vettel? It wouldn't surprise me if LdM tries to tempt him over to the 'red side'.

Or Jenson Button as Solo? Hardly a vagabond eeking out an existance now is he? Why not Webber as the experienced rogue who provides some much needed support and grounding for your Skywalker/Vettel. Both equally good match in my opinion.

Jabba the Hutt = Flavio Briatore (salacious, oily, looks out for himself, in it for the money etc., and Jabba's not much better)
C3PO = Adrian Sutil (it's the way he runs)
Boba Fett = Patrick Head (menacing-looking henchman, who, ultimately, failed to deliver)

Other, more random parallels that occurred to me:

Lord of the Rings;
Sauron = Max Mosley (cliched, I know)
Gollum = Bernie Ecclestone

Bond films;
Q = Adrian Newey

#21 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 13:23

I chose Vettel as Skywalker, because I noticed a physical resemblance between him and Mark Hammil.

As for Button as Solo, he's been nowhere for ten years ... and now he's starting to come of age, kind of like Han Solo did.

I was actually originally going to have Bernie Ecclestone as George Lucas, because Lucas keeps changing everything every time there's a new edition of the film and getting away from the origins of it all.

#22 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 4,996 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 15:04

and now that ol' Sebulba is making his comeback...

:up:

#23 grunge

grunge

• 5,393 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 16:22

get a life dude...

#24 skinnyman

skinnyman

• 672 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 14:17

Mario Theissen - Ned Flanders

#25 kNt

kNt

• 1,695 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 14:51

My try

Emperor Palpatine - Bernie Eccelstone
Count Dooku - Max Mosley
Darth Vader - Jean Todt (might also be someone else from FOTA to rise to a bit more power)

Palpatine uses his puppet to wage war and the easily sacrifices him to his new apprentice. Another possible combo for those three would be Palpatine - Ron Dennis, Dooku - Alonso and Vader - Hamilton. McLaren as the Empire and Mercedes as the Trade Federation do appeal. The Deathstar staring as the Paragon.

Obi-Wan Kenobi - Michael Schumacher
Luke Skywalker - Felipe Massa

Somewhat of a guide-protege situation that fails to deliver without the help of Vader / Todt. Although some of the evil of Schumacher is not represented.

Han Solo - Kimi Raikkonen , think about the ice and the sides of Kimi we only hear from newspapers.

Leia Organa - Adrin Sutil, she doesn't realize her true potential as a Jedi until very late.

Yoda - Ross Brawn, altough if his career was better 'just sitting there' Heidfeld would also make a good Yoda.

Lando Calrissian - Gerhard Berger

Jabba the Hutt - Flavio Briatore, could also be eddie Jordan though or maybe Mateschitz.

Qui-Gon Jinn - Mikka Hakkinen

Jar-jar Binks - Kai Ebel (or fill in any annoying commentator)

Camino Cloners - Tovota

#26 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 14:54

Mr Burns - Bernie Ecclestone
Homer Simpson - Murray Walker
Tom - Alonso, Jerry - Hamilton
:)