Photo

Will Schumacher be back in F1?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Will Schumacher be back in F1? (86 member(s) have cast votes)

Will Schumacher be back in F1?

1. He will race sometime this year. (19 votes [20.88%])

Percentage of vote: 20.88%

2. He will be back permanently next season (15 votes [16.48%])

Percentage of vote: 16.48%

3. We wont see him race F1 again (57 votes [62.64%])

Percentage of vote: 62.64%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Roger39

Roger39

• 124 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 13:02

I might be reading to much into what Michael is saying about him racing but it seems like he is itching to race again...what do you think?

Advertisement

#2 Mr M0by

Mr M0by

• 526 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 13:09

If there were plans to race at least once this year, we wouldn't have seen him cancel this weeks F2007 session. :(

#3 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 13:11

I might be reading to much into what Michael is saying about him racing but it seems like he is itching to race again...what do you think?

That he's itching is even an understatement, from what I saw on the PC.

At the same time I can't see it happen, after listening to the doc. The neck issue is very specific, and it seems to fail / hurt especially under the strain of driving a F1 car, right now. And time isn't exactly on his side.

#4 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 17,023 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 13:12

Lets say one thing:

Many weeks ago, everyone had accepted the idea of not even thinking about his return

Michael once said at the end of 2006 "Once your out, your out for good." Clearly he has gone against he's said, at the time he was tired."

Michael also said today "I gave up my seat to Massa because I was tired." Now he doesn't seem tired, just frustrated with injury, the will is there to drive, something he completely didnt' show in 2007/2008, he was looking like enjoying retirement and away, getting rest.

But many years ago, Michael also said "It is possible to race in your 40s."

Luca Ferrari President has talked about 3rd car for Schumi if he wants it.

Michael could today and probabley should rule out Monza and Spa, just to give fans some peace, but neither him or Ferrari, have confirmed he won't race this year, he likely won't, but why not confirm it? 10000 fans brought tickets to Spain to see him.

Everyone wants to see Michael back in the car, Michael wanted to be back in the car
There is more fire in a Schumi come back possibility this month then there has ever been since he retired. Michael is fired up, frustrated with injury, he's going to make it his mission to get into a f1 car again, this episode will only increase the motivation. Schumacher has a purpose and will, back in 2006, he was finishing off f1 to accept the decision he made and thought about, but as was said then, you say things in periods of your life depending on how your feeling.

#5 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 13:12

No. That's it now. If he races again, it won't be something as physical as F1.

#6 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 13:13

If there were plans to race at least once this year, we wouldn't have seen him cancel this weeks F2007 session. :(

He needs to rest a bit further, to test this week would only worsen his situation. He could try and test between Spa and Monza before taking a decision about the rest of this season (depending on when Massa will be expected to be able to race again). I won't rule him out of season, I've been into this sport for too many years to discount anything!

#7 Brawn BGP 001

Brawn BGP 001

• 5,960 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 13:18

No, thats it IMO.

#8 Frans

Frans

• 8,753 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 13:18

Schumacher is an old, officially broken (from the inside) man, and also very unreliable towards his fans and supportbase. ("He came, comeback, then he pulled his comeback back, a word a word, a man a man.")

Veni, Vedi, Foetsie is his nickname now all over the place.... Hehehe.

#9 valachus

valachus

• 1,103 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 13:20

When is the next official multi-team testing session on the calendar? We'll know then.
EDIT: found it, no more testing this year at all! http://www.f1technic...et/f1db/events/
Hm! I think if Schumi is to come back, he may do it with another team than Ferrari. McLaren, maybe?

Edited by valachus, 12 August 2009 - 13:32.

#10 mursuka80

mursuka80

• 5,106 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 13:22

He should say if he plans to race again or not,because this crap is taking the thunder away from WDC battle,which i think is Luca`s intention,because he is pissed that DDD is legal and their car aint good enough.I voted never.

#11 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 17,023 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 13:22

He needs to rest a bit further, to test this week would only worsen his situation. He could try and test between Spa and Monza before taking a decision about the rest of this season (depending on when Massa will be expected to be able to race again). I won't rule him out of season, I've been into this sport for too many years to discount anything!

Agreed, testing f1 cars is a constant thing you need to do, Michae had, what 1 test, from that, he discovered there are things to look out for, with doctors and everyone, clearly the preparation time for Valencia was short, lets say the Michael Schumacher of 2000, would find coming into the sport now, with no testing difficult, Michael Schumacher of now faces no testing with current car plus a injury, it's a huge task, and lets remember nobody was expecting it, Michael gave it a shot, perhaps it was for the best for Michael to find out about it do something about it. This situation had made him look forward to driving again, it's clear if Massa was out earlier in the season for whatever reason and Michael didn't have the bike crash, it would of been Kimi and Michael all year, it's just Michael gave up his seat to Massa, and isn't one to say, hey I want back in, it's not in his character, and why Luca talks about the 3rd car, this situation with Massa out, has highlighed the fact that Michael was willing to drive again, nobody thought otherwise a month ago or a year ago, that's the big news of August.

Edited by SeanValen, 12 August 2009 - 13:25.

#12 orges

orges

• 72 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 13:36

I got a feeling he will race sometime this year. monza? singapore? i don't know but I think we will see schumi back. In his PC he does not give a clear indication whether he will race or not this year. He seems really hungry to be back but what a pitty about his neck. Hopefully recoveres before monza, a race where ferrari might have some interesting news for the fans ;)

#13 marchi-91

marchi-91

• 440 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 13:44

Possibly Monza. While it does have fast speed cornering, it also has massively long straights and wouldn't place as much pressure on his neck as say Spa. I dare say the catalyst to Michael's pain is cornering rather then straight line work.

#14 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 13:54

Possibly Monza. While it does have fast speed cornering, it also has massively long straights and wouldn't place as much pressure on his neck as say Spa. I dare say the catalyst to Michael's pain is cornering rather then straight line work.

I dare say you should listen carefully what his doctor says in the PC, and then separate your wishes from reality.

#15 marchi-91

marchi-91

• 440 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 14:07

I dare say you should listen carefully what his doctor says in the PC, and then separate your wishes from reality.

They both seemed up in arms about the situation. Even you acknowledged this. The fracture could heal in a month, 2 months, 3 months 8 months or never, so there is no point talking about it. You cannot doubt that Michael didn't want to get in the car, so now that he has the bug, he'll try any means possible, that may not have been possible with such a short time to Valencia.

#16 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 14:54

They both seemed up in arms about the situation. Even you acknowledged this. The fracture could heal in a month, 2 months, 3 months 8 months or never, so there is no point talking about it. You cannot doubt that Michael didn't want to get in the car, so now that he has the bug, he'll try any means possible, that may not have been possible with such a short time to Valencia.

I assume you're too young to have experienced something like it yourself, but there's a difference to bones breaking flat and healing again to 100 percent, and bones that break in a complicated way, like in this case. I said listen "carefully" to what the doc said...;)

There was no pain until MS drove the F1. Afterwards it didn't go away and he couldn't even train his neck properly. The doc also talked about long term consequences (arthrosis) of what he called a "burst break". Arthrosis is something everyone suffers from with age, and there is no cure. MS' skull base is broken like a used chisel at the top (that was literally the analogy he used in german)

Posted Image

That part will never be the same again. The thing every athlet has going for him, certainly MS, are strong muscles to support the injured bone. But as of now, driving an F1 car puts MS in a state were he can't even properly train the muscles in that aerea anymore (his words). Catch 22...

There is always a chance, but I consider it very, very small.

#17 Schumacher Forever

Schumacher Forever

• 55 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 16:13

My heart tells me he will be back permanently, if not this year then the next. Broken neck or not, he will be back, and he will be fast.

BTW, everyone is welcome to join me in prayer for Schumi's health tonight at 9pm CST.

#18 Thunder Chat

Thunder Chat

• 166 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 19:30

i think its just something that happens, reminds me of what hakkinen did a couple of years ago only in this case whats probably been going through schumi's head came to the fore when massa was injured and ferrari asked him to step in.

I can't help but feel that schumi would be like hakkinen was at the testing he did for mclaren if he was put back in a competitive field, he just wouldn't quite 'have it' anymore, in 2006 while he came close to the title i didn't feel he had the sort of speed he had at one time, by that i mean that raw pace he could show in his prime, the '06 battle was a much more crafted challenge than figting with pace. With the young hunrgy talent in F1 now i think his moment has passed.

To sum up :lol: i think no he won't be back, if he was going to do it would have been now, 3 cars won't happen and alonso and probably massa will be ferraris drivers in the future, with kubica going to mclaren and doing a kimi style 'has he already got a ferrari contract' dance for a couple of years before taking massa's seat at ferrari.