Photo

From Valencia on, how many podiums for Button?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Poll: How many podiums for Button with seven races to go? (105 member(s) have cast votes)

Beginning with Valencia, how many podiums will Button get?

1. Seven (1 votes [0.95%])

Percentage of vote: 0.95%

2. Six (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Five (6 votes [5.71%])

Percentage of vote: 5.71%

4. Four (16 votes [15.24%])

Percentage of vote: 15.24%

5. Three (19 votes [18.10%])

Percentage of vote: 18.10%

6. Two (25 votes [23.81%])

Percentage of vote: 23.81%

7. One (14 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

8. Zero (24 votes [22.86%])

Percentage of vote: 22.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 nordschleife

nordschleife

• 940 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 20:51

At this point it's hard to say whether Jenson will be able to close the deal. With concrete everywhere at Valencia any of the contenders could get caught up in someone else's accident. Remember Nakajima and Alonso last year? If Button's lead is greatly increased or greatly reduced his title chances will be fairly obvious. I think Brawn's mojo is nogo and his will be a cruel fate. But that's just me. Roll them bones and tell us what you see in Button's future. :wave:

Advertisement

#2 Brawn BGP 001

Brawn BGP 001

• 5,960 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 20:54

Four

#3 Yellowmc

Yellowmc

• 2,057 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 21:17

Depends on whether or not Brawn bring any more updates and what effect they have on him and the car.

As it is, they will keep on falling down the order and that midfield battle is so tight, on a good day you can end up 4th and on a slightly worse day, 12th.

#4 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,580 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:21

Maybe wishful thinking, but, I've gone for 4.

#5 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:26

Brawn have yet to show they can develop a car, with their performance dropping off constantly since the first race. There are other elements involved but it will surprise me if they can pull themselves out of the midfield in the rest of the season. I'll go with 2, and I'm talking 3rd places.

#6 Buckethead

Buckethead

• 710 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:19

Nada

#7 bigginge

bigginge

• 558 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:22

Brawn have yet to show they can develop a car, with their performance dropping off constantly since the first race. There are other elements involved but it will surprise me if they can pull themselves out of the midfield in the rest of the season. I'll go with 2, and I'm talking 3rd places.

Brawn have yet to show they can develop a car [without Honda paying for 4 wind tunnels]. The ground that Brawn have lost this season is staggering, given the DD situation at the start of the year.

I went for 1.

Edited by bigginge, 14 August 2009 - 11:22.

#8 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 12:16

One, at Suzuka, where it'll be high temperatures, and it is an extreme aero circuit. There he could just fen dof Trulli for the final podium spot. On the other tracks I don't think so, maybe at Spa, but there will the temperatures presumably be very cold.

#9 Hole

Hole

• 2,232 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 12:51

I love Button too, so Zero :up:

#10 Music Man

Music Man

• 84 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 13:02

I'll go with 2, and I'm talking 3rd places.

This. With current form of Red Bull, McLaren, Ferrari and Williams, well, even Renault, if they're not losing any more wheels during the race, I find it hard for Brawn to score any more podiums this season. IMO there will be a couple of lucky third places and this will be it.

#11 BRK

BRK

• 5,197 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 13:46

Three,with at least one win in there.I think Brawn will come back much stronger at the end of the summer break.

#12 Arioch

Arioch

• 154 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 14:29

I'm hoping for 4, so that's what I voted, but I doubt it'll be that high. I'm just hoping he can minimize the losses and still come out on top. There are enough others that are very fast that they will be taking points away from eachother, and maybe his early lead will let him keep the WDC.

#13 Thunder Chat

Thunder Chat

• 166 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 14:33

i went for one, thought about two but BAR/HONDA/BRAWN don't have good form when it comes to fixing with car problems, the thing i find strange is this tyre temperature issue. I remember in 05 (maybe 06) they had this when button led in oz i think? the safety car came out and when it went in buttons tyres had gone off so far he was swamped, the same thing happened again on a number of occasions as the car seemed incapable of keeping its tyre temperature.

It can't be some core design philosophy they are working with that keeps creating this problem can it? difficult to say if it was a problem in 07/08 because the car was so fundamentally bad both years

#14 Ray Singh

Ray Singh

• 35 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 14:33

About 2/3 votes reckon it'll be 0, 1 or 2. To get 1 or 2 podiums is occasionally possible due to favourable conditions in races, so the majority agree Brawn are no longer race winner material and won't get back to it. I think buttons best chance is for McLaren or another to start winning races, stopping the red bulls from making big gains into his lead (other than Brawn finding a solution to their problems!)

#15 BillBald

BillBald

• 5,819 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 15:57

Brawn haven't dropped that far back, because they were never very far ahead.

It was a combination of good driving and good strategy which got them those wins. Several times, other drivers and teams threw away chances.

I'm sure they will find some way of dealing with their tyre problems, so I think there will be at least 3 or 4 more podiums.

Edited by BillBald, 14 August 2009 - 16:05.

#16 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,771 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 16:23

their performance dropping off constantly since the first race.

Say what now, check out race 6, Turkey ,,,,, then get back to us.

#17 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 16:28

I dont think BrawnGP has dropped off as much as it seems. I just dont think the conditions these past few races have suited them, and some crappy strategies haven't helped, either.

If you think back, all the races where they were so dominant were pretty hot. Australia, Malaysia, Bahrain, Turkey and Monaco - all warm/hot conditions. And the races where it wasn't as hot - China, Silverstone and the Nurburgring weren't as hot. Hungary was kind of in the middle(though raceday was cooler than rest of the weekend), and their lack of good qualifying pace(relative to their race pace) hurt them there.

I expect them to be back fighting at the front again soon. Its easy to get carried away and assume that they're officially only 3rd/4th best team, but that kind of drop-off is rare in F1, and its not unusual to see a good team have a run of bad races.

It seems that the most popular option chosen was 'zero', which seems like a gross overreaction if you ask me. Not only will Red Bull and BrawnGP be the only teams developing at 100% to the very end, but even only as 3rd best team, they'd still be liable to get another podium at some point with Brawn at the helm, in my opinion.

Edited by Seanspeed, 14 August 2009 - 16:29.

#18 Kooper

Kooper

• 2,189 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 16:50

It seems that the most popular option chosen was 'zero', which seems like a gross overreaction if you ask me. Not only will Red Bull and BrawnGP be the only teams developing at 100% to the very end, but even only as 3rd best team, they'd still be liable to get another podium at some point with Brawn at the helm, in my opinion.

BrawnGP went down the wrong road development-wise once already. IF they can turn it around they have legitimate podium shots in some of the remaining races. Brawn have got to not only fix what they broke, but also attempt to catch Red Bull - thats asking a lot imo.

I wonder if Brawn got to keep the $28m supposably paid out upon signing of the new Concorde? Or, did Honda take that or did the two split it?

Oh, I voted no podiums... probably should have gone for one.

#19 Gypsy

Gypsy

• 585 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 16:53

No more podiums or even points. He's obviously the worst driver ever to step into a Formula 1 car and it's beyond anyone's understanding how he manages to get out of the garage, let alone win races.

:rolleyes:

Advertisement

#20 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 17:31

BrawnGP went down the wrong road development-wise once already. IF they can turn it around they have legitimate podium shots in some of the remaining races. Brawn have got to not only fix what they broke, but also attempt to catch Red Bull - thats asking a lot imo.

I wonder if Brawn got to keep the $28m supposably paid out upon signing of the new Concorde? Or, did Honda take that or did the two split it?

Oh, I voted no podiums... probably should have gone for one.

Well its not certain that they went down the wrong road, development-wise. As far as I know, their latest developments just didn't help them improve as much as they thought it would. And that could be conditional as well. Maybe it did help them, but the conditions just didn't enable them to exploit those advantages as much as they might have liked? Anyways, its not unusual for a team to have one upgrade package that doesn't work as well as they'd like. Even the top teams have that happen once in a while.

Like I said, even top teams in the past have gone through a run of bad races here and there. If these sorts of results continue for the next few races, I'll agree with you guys that they're out of contention, but until then, I still think they'll be back fighting at or near the front again soon. Hell, I wouldn't count them out for another race win or two or three.

Edited by Seanspeed, 14 August 2009 - 17:32.

#21 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,164 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:39

No more podiums or even points. He's obviously the worst driver ever to step into a Formula 1 car and it's beyond anyone's understanding how he manages to get out of the garage, let alone win races.

:rolleyes:

Did you fall on your head?

#22 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:41

Did you fall on your head?

I think your Internet sarcasm filter is broken.

On a serious note, I'd say three more podiums for Jenson this season, but no more wins.

#23 Coral

Coral

• 6,758 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:41

I think he could possibly get a couple of third places, but no wins.

#24 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:50

None

Two RBR's
Two Mclarens
A Ferrari or two
A Williams

All appear to be able to ensure that he doesnt get any more.

#25 Jay

Jay

• 957 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:46

None...

Brawn are all punched out

J

#26 plastik2k9

plastik2k9

• 509 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:46

It all depends. Things can just happen overnight it seems; one day we talked of Button and Brawn GP walking away with it, the next they were hopeless underdogs to Red Bull, then we had a race dominated by a McLaren. Earlier in the season, we had an all Toyota front row. I wouldn't bet on anything, Button could score more podiums, but he also might not. The field is so close that predictions are very, very difficult to make.

#27 Alonzo

Alonzo

• 658 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 13:01

I dont think BrawnGP has dropped off as much as it seems. I just dont think the conditions these past few races have suited them, and some crappy strategies haven't helped, either.

If you think back, all the races where they were so dominant were pretty hot. Australia, Malaysia, Bahrain, Turkey and Monaco - all warm/hot conditions. And the races where it wasn't as hot - China, Silverstone and the Nurburgring weren't as hot. Hungary was kind of in the middle(though raceday was cooler than rest of the weekend), and their lack of good qualifying pace(relative to their race pace) hurt them there.

I expect them to be back fighting at the front again soon. Its easy to get carried away and assume that they're officially only 3rd/4th best team, but that kind of drop-off is rare in F1, and its not unusual to see a good team have a run of bad races.

Well, we have different perspectives about this situaton. I'm one of those who voted "zero", the reason is that I don't think that only circunstances ruined Brawn's performance, the car dropped not only in one track or temperature condition, neither in a unique layout(which wouldn't be the case anyway since Brawn was good in every kind of corner). In certain circuits, it seems to me that about 4 or 5 cars are better than Brawn atm, eventhough drivers like Glock, Trulli and Nakajima rarely delivers the car's potential result. Exception to Spa and Suzuka where I think Brawn can do better than Mclaren and Ferrari, in all other tracks I think at least 4 teams will be better.

Brawn is struggling with financial resources atm and the development was affected. In Silverstone qualifying the temperature was the lowest and Brawn was still the 2nd best car behind RBR, then in Germany the temperature was a bit higher and the performance in quali was much worse than in England. In Hungary, this decrease in Brawn's car development was confirmed in a significantly different situation.

Is wait to see how things turns to be, but I can only see Brawn's "recovery" in fast corners tracks.
 ;)

#28 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 13:21

3, which doesn't mean he won't be WDC.

#29 Demo.

Demo.

• 1,205 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 21:27

I think your Internet sarcasm filter is broken.

On a serious note, I'd say three more podiums for Jenson this season, but no more wins.

i agree but perhaps not even another podium...
he does not need that
he does not even need to outscore his opponents
only not score less than 18.5 points less than anyone else
that will end up with JB as WDC 2009