Photo

RIP Dennis Rapley, aka 'renzo'

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Robdgnl

Robdgnl

• 2 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 15:24

For those that knew him, Renzo/Dennis Rapley passed away at his home on the 19th of July. He lost the long hard fight against lung emphysema.

I noticed he visited this forum quite often, and he probably knew many people on here, as well as in the motorcycle community as a whole.

He will be sorely missed.

May he rest in peace.

Robbie de Gruiter (a very close friend)

Advertisement

#2 RStock

RStock

• 2,276 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 18:33

For those that knew him, Renzo/Dennis Rapley passed away at his home on the 19th of July. He lost the long hard fight against lung emphysema.

I noticed he visited this forum quite often, and he probably knew many people on here, as well as in the motorcycle community as a whole.

May he rest in peace.

Seems I remember the screen-name . Sad news . RIP Dennis Rapley .

#3 HEMEYLA

HEMEYLA

• 586 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 20:28

Rest in peace Dennis. :cry:

#4 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 20:35

Rest in peace Dennis. :cry:

Yes from all of us on the motorcycle racing section we will / are missing you , RIP mate :cry: :cry:

#5 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 20:40

Bye Bye Dennis, it was fun these last few years, I know it did you good, will miss you old friend. :cry:

#6 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 21:18

Very sad news indeed...

Dennis had been a valued member of this forum for three years, and I along with others will clearly miss his presence.

Thank you, Robbie, for letting us know of his passing. My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

#7 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 21:28

ok,another one of me(sorry :) )brands hatch 1969 a few weeks before i had a bad one there :(
bemsee meeting if i recall.
those were the daaays my friend :blush:

Posted Image

RIP Renzo.

#8 LamboNZ

LamboNZ

• 1,390 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 21:49

RIP Dennis, you will be missed by all that knew, I for one have enjoyed reading your anecdotal tales of your racing experiences.

Godspeed to you Renzo!

#9 TeeZed

TeeZed

• 137 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 22:49

RIP "Renzo"

My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Don

#10 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 22:59

Dammit ! A good man who fought hard. You'll be missed, Dennis, but not forgotten. Hats off, mate.

#11 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:14

Terrible news.

RIP Dennis, you will be sorely missed.

Sincere condolences to family and friends.

#12 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:15

Posted Image

R.I.P. Dennis

#13 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,849 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 08:09

Dennis sometimes rode in serious company :up:

I enjoyed meeting him on this forum and would like to express my condolences to his family and friends

.....and my programmes search produced something else.....This is from the easter 1977 Transatlantic Trophy at Brand's....look at the last reserve rider in the 250cc race.....number 113....wonder if he started the race after all....if so , I sure saw him .

So, are you here, renzo ?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 08:37

I enjoyed meeting him on this forum and would like to express my condolences to his family and friends

He did Philippe, but he stopped/retired according to my programme. :(

#15 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 13:59

Oh so sad.
Never met Renzo,but he was still a friend,through our wonderful 'club'He will be missed by us all.RIP Dennis old lad.Save us a place in the clubhouse.
A very sad HW

#16 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 14:00

He did, and somtimes put it accross them; at Lydden in the late sixties he got the Ducati accross the line to win ahead of Eric Hinton. I can't find the post, but I think he said he considered this the best day of his life.....

Edited by Russell Burrows, 17 August 2009 - 20:55.

#17 Steve Bateman

Steve Bateman

• 328 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 17:19

Although i didnt know Dennis apart from here on this great Forum, his great presence here meant that i felt i knew him well.
Its thanks to him and the other regular contributors that i spent six weeks trawling through some great topics and was reunited with old friends that i havent been in touch with for years.
I know that we are all growing older and friends and colleauges are slipping away far too regularly but i think you will all agree that this particular form of motorsport has brought us all a great deal of pleasure and some priceless memories.
Its for guys like Dennis that we should keep on reliving those times and uphold their memories.

RIP Renzo :(

#18 Greystone

Greystone

• 124 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 17:52

I must echo all the other sentiments. I enjoyed Dennis's stories and anecdotes and the enrichment that he brought to the forum.

I didn't know Dennis personally but I know that he raced against my good friend Peter Bowers, who I used to help out. Sadly we lost Pete in 2003. As Steve Bateman says most of us have reached an age where friends and colleagues are starting to slip away. Forums such as this give us the opportunity to remember earlier days with those we knew and also to make new friends and acquaintances such as Dennis that we share a common interest with.

RIP Dennis

Andrew

#19 Macca

Macca

• 3,728 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 18:49

I too echo the sadness and regret of everyone here that we have lost a mate, and send deepest sympathy to his family.

RIP, Renzo - hope you're now racing where TZ's never seize and starting-money is always more than you want.

Paul M

Advertisement

#20 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 19:34

RIP Dennis. I'm sure there will be a queue formed to be counted as one of your friends. At least you can be assured we shall try to uphold that wonderful sense of humour though I for one will probably never know as much as you have forgotten about racing.

You can save me a place in the clubhouse too.

David

#21 subh

subh

• 1,191 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 19:37

This is indeed sad news, and Dennis will be missed as all the above posts prove. He was kind enough to sell me his copy of the very first Motocourse annual at a very reasonable price, for which I remain very grateful to him. It will be a treasured part of my collection. My condolences to all who were close to him.

#22 Adrian Godden

Adrian Godden

• 171 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 20:14

..have just logged on....condolences to your family and those close to you..RIP

Adie

#23 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 20:33

Sad news, I often read with great interest, postings by Dennis, R.I.P.

#24 peterd

peterd

• 196 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 21:21

Sad, sad news. Godspeed, Dennis.

#25 Yendor

Yendor

• 519 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:07

Just returned from a few days away and the first thing I see is this very sad news. Like many I only knew Dennis through this forum but
greatly enjoyed his postings and enthusiasm. My condolences to his family and friends. RIP Renzo.

#26 Robdgnl

Robdgnl

• 2 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 12:31

Thank you all for the replies so far. I will pass this on to his family once I get in touch with them.

Posted Image

Dennis doing what he loved best.

#27 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 13:44

Thank you

In the words of Spike Milligan, "I told you I was ill" ...we all knew Dennis wasn't well. It was nice that he shared his memories with us on the longest thread.
Bless him.

Edited by mfd, 17 August 2009 - 13:44.

#28 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 15:01

Thank you all for the replies so far. I will pass this on to his family once I get in touch with them.

On behalf of all Dennis's friends on the forum , I would like to thank ' Robdgn ' for relaying the sad news to us .
He has also offered to place some flowers on Dennis's grave for us at the earliest possible opportunity.
Rob has also suggested that we write an obituary to our friend .

#29 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 18:39

Such a great picture of Dennis, I have taken the liberty of cleaning it up a little.
Posted Image
Dennis Rapley, Manx TT 197?

#30 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 19:43

Such a great picture of Dennis, I have taken the liberty of cleaning it up a little

I really like the helmet - not the most obvious colours for a racer

#31 Rob Lees

Rob Lees

• 103 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 20:41

Don't visit TNF as often as I'd like to, but I have enjoyed reading Renzo's tales, he came across as a lovely bloke - Very sorry to hear this sad news. :cry:

#32 TeeZed

TeeZed

• 137 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 23:44

Posted Image

Hi Graham,

That photo of Dennis should go down as one of the all time classics. To race that hard with only a few inches of suspension travel...............truly unbelievable!

Don

#33 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,849 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:37

A picture Dennis posted on the old thread of him riding the beautiful Honda he used for his comeback to classic racing in the mid-90's

Posted Image

Edited by philippe7, 18 August 2009 - 07:47.

#34 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,849 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:45

.....and something he posted on the "memories of Brand's Hatch" thread....I don't know wether we should take his last words seriously ...but they sure take a different meaning now :cry:

i love the place!,first visit around 65 then started racing on a greeves in 67.
continued untill 77 then had another go in 92 racing classic honda untill late 95.
love it so much i want my ashes scattered there!(hopefully not for some time :eek: )

#35 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:25

I´ve just logged on to discover that Renzo is no longer with us.
Rest in peace Dennis, and save me a place in the clubhouse if you can mate. :cry:

#36 pmbboy

pmbboy

• 265 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 18:25

So sad to read this news on the passing of Renzo , may you rest in peace Dennis and thank you for sharing your memories with us.

Peter

#37 TZ350

TZ350

• 789 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 20:21

Well as many of you will know I had amount of banter with Dennis and we had a real laugh together both on the forum and in private pm's i last heard from just a short while before is demise and was already missing him and worried when I posted mid July and feared the worst which has very sadly been realised. Yes mate save me a place in clubhouse as it sounds its getting full , you know my poison ;)
very sad you never managed to get over here so we could actually meet up :( RIP Mate ~ Dennis Rapley / renzo :cry: :cry: :cry:

#38 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 23:43

Hi Graham,

That photo of Dennis should go down as one of the all time classics. To race that hard with only a few inches of suspension travel...............truly unbelievable!

Don

Now my laptop wallpaper.

Godspeed Dennis :cry:

#39 motard

motard

• 33 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:43

God Speed, Dennis. I don't know if you'll be in the clubhouse, or getting changed in the back of an old Thames that just scraped through the mot, among half empty 'R' tins and smelly sleeping bags. We'll miss you, mate. Tom

Advertisement

#40 Mick Robinson

Mick Robinson

• 271 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 16:14

May he rest in peace.

So sorry to hear about Dennis passing away, sympothies to his family.

#41 knickerbrook

knickerbrook

• 1,231 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 22:35

I am very sad to learn of the passing of dear Renzo. Although I never knew him personally, I felt, as I'm sure we all did, a brotherhood with Dennis through our years of contact on the forum.
R.I.P. matey, you will be remembered fondly.

Barry.

#42 pushstart

pushstart

• 86 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 02:31

Have just found this news while doing a search for ducati race bikes. How very sad, I knew Dennis though I'd not seen him for some time. In fact I bought his Mick Walker Ducati off him back in 1975 and started my club racing days on it (still wish I had it). I kept it in it's Dennis Rapley colours of silver and purple, very nice bike it was too. Also knew his sponsor (Ray) very well.
Condolences to everyone who knew him.

Bob.

#43 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:28

Sorry you had to find this Forum in that fashion Bob , yes , Dennis was a well thought of member of the Forum and sadly missed . :cry:
Hope you will join in with the ( mostly :lol: ) good humoured banter which Dennis enjoyed so much .
So , welcome to the ' Old Farts Club ' :rolleyes:

#44 pushstart

pushstart

• 86 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 15:29

Thank you, yes I'll hang around now that I've found it. Was thinking of posting a pic of Dennis's (and my) old Walker Ducati but I cant work out how to do it :confused:

#45 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 15:38

Thank you, yes I'll hang around now that I've found it. Was thinking of posting a pic of Dennis's (and my) old Walker Ducati but I cant work out how to do it :confused:

Hi there and welcome. Once scanned the pic can be put onto your desktop or equivalent then located via one of the picture hosting sites - Imaghehost is the most straightfoward and you don't even have to register. Simply copy the img code or hotlink image on Imagehost, come back here and paste it wherever you want.

Edited by Russell Burrows, 27 November 2009 - 12:19.

#46 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 17:11

Hi Bob, welcome to the forum.

Please check your pm's.

#47 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 19:08

Photo posted on behalf of pushstart (Bob).

Posted Image

#48 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 19:44

Thanks for putting that up Mick , looks good , :up: what year do you reckon ?? mid '70's ??

#49 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 20:39

Thanks for putting that up Mick , looks good , :up: what year do you reckon ?? mid '70's ??

He was still racing it in 1974, I saw him at the Trans Trophy that year.
There is an L reg Hunter/Minx? in the background that was 1973 (I think?)

#50 pushstart

pushstart

• 86 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 21:15

Well I bought it from him in 1975 and it was already a few years old then. I don't think many of these bikes were built, so I'm guessing it was from about 1970. Beautifully made Saxon frame, the little engine would rev to 10,500revs. I sold it on to a man from Surrey who raced it for a year then I never saw it again. Are there any being ridden in Classic bike races these days?