Photo

Best Spectating points around Spa

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 NineOneSeven

NineOneSeven

• 283 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 12:15

So I'm in Brussels and so off to Spa for the F1... can anyone reccomend a good spots for spectating? Unfortunatly I couldn't get a grandstand ticket.

Advertisement

#2 Ruud de la Rosa

Ruud de la Rosa

• 2,137 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 12:52

So I'm in Brussels and so off to Spa for the F1... can anyone reccomend a good spots for spectating? Unfortunatly I couldn't get a grandstand ticket.

get up around 6 o clock, wait at the gates for the circuit to open and go sit besides the bus stop and then wait while they play the same cd over and over again!

#3 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 14:10

I went to Spa in 2007, and General Admission is quite a good option.

If I were you I'd go for the full three days so you can move around the whole circuit and experience all the corners.

So, where to watch...

The good thing about Spa is that the circuit is so long they don't have nearly enough crowd control so if you slip into the woods on the infield you can reappear almost anywhere.

Allow me to inflict some of my crappy photograpy on you...

I took the following shot just before Stavelot. This is where they park the F1 trucks and surplus traliers on the infield. We stood between a few for ages and had an awesome view. No one even batted an eyelid. Very close to the action...

Posted Image

Eau Rouge is clearly the most awesome corner at the circuit but is tricky to view without a grandstand ticket.

BUT... head for the F1 merchanising area which is right at the bottom of Eau Rouge.

If you get there earlier enough on Saturday you can get an awesome spot looking straight up at Eau Rouge for qualifying. We got there 90 minutes before the session started. Filled up quick, but we had a good spot. Presume the same is true on raceday. We were right beside the fence as the cars whipped past inches away, you saw awesome clouds of yellowish plank dust as they went under full compression...

Posted Image

For raceday we headed up to the long uphill straight which ends at Les Combes.

There is a great grass bank all the way along this straight.

You could position yourself at the exit of Kemmel, where you see the cars pop up out of Eau Rouge which is quite good (just prior to the Allianz bridge you see in the shot below).

If you head about two thirds of the way up the straight you'll be at the point where lots of cars are pulling out of the slip stream to try and overtake.

There is also a big screen TV here and you can see across the valley all the way over to the Bus Stop.

A tip: Get here early so you can get a good spot on the rocky hillside. Take something to put on the ground, like a piece of plastic or something. Lots of holes have been dug out over the years so you can make yourself quite comfortable. After that, get your elbows out. When we were there some of the Belgians were pretty pushy and rude, trying to get onto our patch...

Posted Image

You can get up to Les Combes in the GA area, but you'd have to be there mega early and the view isn't that great.

You can also go over to the straight between Malmedy and the Rivage hairpin.

We went there for the first session on the Friday in 2007, just in time to watch Felipe Massa lock up and end up in the gravel (below). Trouble with this corner is that there is no banking so everyone is pressed against the wire. So you'd have to be there mega early or not bother. I think there are better options.

Posted Image

Another good spot is the entry to Pouhon, there is a steep grass bank up the hill and a super fast corner. You are quite far from the action though.

Posted Image

The Fagnes corners are OK, but you don't have the benefit of being up a bank like the other corners I've mentioned so the view isn't quite as good. Would probably get quite crowded on race day.

I'd recommend the sitting between the trees about halfway between Blanchimont and the Bus Stop at the end of the lap.

You'll have to get there early to nab a spot, but you've can get quite a nice perspective of the cars flying around then hitting the brakes for Bus Stop.

Obviously the closer to Bus Stop you go, the bigger the crowds.

Posted Image

We couldn't find a way to get anywhere near La Source, but managed to see most of the rest of the lap.

Hope this help, Spa is totally awesome. Take a pair of comfy shoes because you will be doing a lot of walking if you want to see some of the corners I've mentioned. I didn't rain in 2007 but I've heard it does, so a raincoat would be handy.

Worth it thought.

Edited by potmotr, 16 August 2009 - 14:12.

#4 NineOneSeven

NineOneSeven

• 283 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 19:22

Hey what a great response many thanks for your keen tips... I can't do all three days but I will try to get near eau rouge for the race day itself, hopefully we'll be able to see something.

Many thanks... we'll try get there early and pack some weather protection too...

Is it advisable to try to move around on race day or just stay put?

#5 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 19:44

Hey what a great response many thanks for your keen tips... I can't do all three days but I will try to get near eau rouge for the race day itself, hopefully we'll be able to see something.

Many thanks... we'll try get there early and pack some weather protection too...

Stay put on race day and don't move an inch is all I can say!

I went in 2007 and we arrived just after 7am and headed for Pouhon and it was already filling up even then! Spent until 4pm sat in the same place, hanging on for dear life - but what an experience! Absolutely the best circuit for atmosphere, you'll enjoy it no matter where you watch the action from :up:

#6 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 19:53

I'd stay put. Stake out your spot on Friday and Saturday then get there nice and early. I think we turned up on our place on the main straight at about 9am and it filled up fast.

@Dank: I liked Spa, but I reckon Monza is a way better atmosphere. I found the Belgian crowd a bit bland to be honest!

#7 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 19:59

@Dank: I liked Spa, but I reckon Monza is a way better atmosphere. I found the Belgian crowd a bit bland to be honest!

I liked it as where we were watching from seemed to be the central meeting point for just about every European nation. British, Germans, Finnish, Polish etc. All in attendance showing their enthusiasm.

Luckily for us it didn't rain at all two years ago, that might have dampened spirits somewhat. In fact, I came away sunburnt!

#8 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 20:46

I'm going this year, will be watching on Saturday and Sunday, cannot wait.

#9 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 20:52

I had withdrawal symptons last year. Still tempted just to throw caution to the wind and buy a ticket this late in the day!

#10 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 21:12

I had withdrawal symptons last year. Still tempted just to throw caution to the wind and buy a ticket this late in the day!

You should man.

I fell in love with Monza in 2007 and am heading back for my third trip in a few weeks.

And I hear you about Spa 07, we got burned too!

#11 jdanton

jdanton

• 775 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 13:34

I got burned by Schumi and planned a trip around this. Thanks everyone for posting helpful info.

The drive from Brussels doesn't look that bad..

#12 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 16:30

The drive from Brussels doesn't look that bad..

Yeah, it is pretty sweet.

Getting out can be a bit of a nightmare though.

In 07 we took ages to escape and the motorway was pretty blocked up too.

I'd suggest finding a way to return on Monday.

#13 NineOneSeven

NineOneSeven

• 283 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 13:20

I am so looking forward to it! You guys have really stoked my enthusiasm... I am hiring a car and driving over there from Brussels.

I may go and pay homage to the Nurbergring on the Saturday. Perhaps a light lap in the hire car around the green hell may be on the cards.

#14 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 16:36

I am so looking forward to it! You guys have really stoked my enthusiasm... I am hiring a car and driving over there from Brussels.

I may go and pay homage to the Nurbergring on the Saturday. Perhaps a light lap in the hire car around the green hell may be on the cards.

I tell you another fun thing we did during our trip to Spa...

...we drove across the border to Germany and went to Kerpen, home of the Schumacher brothers.

The Michael Schumacher kart center is well worth taking a look at.

It was a kart track which is quite fun, and not bad speed for rentakarts.

Also has a Schumacher museum and restaurant.

I can't remember quite how long it took us to drive, perhaps an hour or so each way from memory.

Looks like the website is under repair, but I presume the place is still open...

http://www.ms-kartcenter.de/

http://www.michaelsc...n...chw&lang=uk

#15 NineOneSeven

NineOneSeven

• 283 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:36

That is a really fantastic idea!

Hmmnn not sure if I can can do everything but I think I'd like to visit Kerpen.

Thanks for the idea! :)

#16 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 17:01

That is a really fantastic idea!

Hmmnn not sure if I can can do everything but I think I'd like to visit Kerpen.

Thanks for the idea! :)

Kerpen is a pretty boring place to be honest.

A very sleepy little west German town.

Tried to find a Schumacher statue but couldn't.

The Schumacher kart centre is cool though.

#17 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 15:49

Heh, my trip offers an alternative to the main excursion... you can either go to qualifying or to a small German town for the day....

on a BGP tour pack

#18 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:08

So NineOneSeven, tell us about how your trip went....!

#19 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 21:15

Just uploading my pics to facebook, I'll put some of the best on here in a bit.

Advertisement

#20 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:22

Just uploading my pics to facebook, I'll put some of the best on here in a bit.

Good man, will be interesting to see!

These are my overwhelming memories of Spa 07...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#21 NineOneSeven

NineOneSeven

• 283 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:05

Ok so we had a great time at Spa.

I was afraid thatw e would get stranded at the track as we decided to take the train and bus from Verviers. I had read from some other people that this had happened to them. Luckly the bus company was organised and we made our way back ok, even though it was a long 1.5 hours standing on the bus.
16 euro return from Brussles and 5 euro return by bus, which I thought was exceptionally reasonable.

It was a great race and we sat on the exit of Kemmel.. we had the benifit of the screen to watch some of the action and saw the best overtaking moves at the end of the straight. :)

Kimi's overtake on Fisi was awesome and Fisi was really awesome in his full on attack. Its so different watching at the track because you see and feel the energy of the cars. Awesome.

GP2 was good but the Porsche cup gave us the benchmark to judge how fantastic the f1 cars really are.

I'd like to make the Spa race again but this time try one of the 300 euro grandstand tickets. Maybe next year by motorcycle or 911 to make it real adventure... the roads around Spa are great. Also I am going to book on a Spa track day, I have to drive it for myself.

Many Thanks for all the advice, it was an amazing expirience.

:) 917

#22 jdanton

jdanton

• 775 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 18:58

We ended up driving from Brussels--wasn't bad, we hung out at the track for about 1.5 hours after the finish Sunday, so traffic had let up a bit by the time we hit the road.

I disagree with 917--I wouldn't spend the extra € for a grandstand ticket, as I really liked moving around the track. During the race we started out near Stavelot (which wasn't crowded and extremely close to the track), moved to Fagnes where you could also see Blanchemont, and then eventually to the Pouhon area.

Les Combes is the best spot, but I didn't want to sit on my ass from 7-3, to hold onto to a spot.

The circuit is amazing--the drive from Brussels took about 2 hours on race day, and 1.5 hours on qualy day. The hotels in Brussels were very reasonable (the hilton was like € 110, and there were cheaper options). Our trip was good, we flew over from the US Friday night, and returned Monday.

#23 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 15:38

I disagree with 917--I wouldn't spend the extra € for a grandstand ticket, as I really liked moving around the track. During the race we started out near Stavelot (which wasn't crowded and extremely close to the track), moved to Fagnes where you could also see Blanchemont, and then eventually to the Pouhon area.

I agree with that, I also thought that overall the better viewing spots were available from General Admission (bottom of Eau Rouge, Kemmel, Pouhon, Bus Stop). I spent the race half way down between Radillon and Les Combes right in front of the big screen.

I would also disagree with any notion that Les Combes is the best spot to watch, further down the straight is better as is Pouhon and the Bus Stop and if you stand looking up Eau Rouge:

Eau Rouge:
Posted Image

Bus Stop:
Posted Image

Pouhon:
Posted ImagePosted Image

Kemmel Straight:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Of course later in the day I found the best spots to spectate from:
Posted Image
Posted Image

#24 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 18:33

Nice photos man!

#25 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 14:51

Forgot to mention this one:

Posted Image

Watching from atop of the fence at the top of Radillon.

#26 jdanton

jdanton

• 775 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 14:55

Darby--great pics--we were in a lot of the same places I think. Looking at everyone's pics and mine as well, I'm amazed at how hard is to see the elevation at the track. Even the pic where you are standing on Eau Rouge doesn't do it justice.

What an amazing circuit. If I was in Belgium and they were racing Clios there, I think I would show up. The village of Francorchamps seemed pretty cool as well.