An help with Chapman's English

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MonzaDriver

MonzaDriver

• 424 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 20:37

HI to all,
I need an help to understand what Colin Chapman is saying in this footage about Stewart's life.

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

at the moment 9:17 he is going to comment about Stewart's race at that moment, and I really dont understand the meaning of any phrases he said.
I think this is something psicological against him by myself, becasue I understood any part of the documentary and enjoy it a lot !!!
Please could someone explain me what he is saying?
Thank you in advance.

Ciao, from MonzaDriver.

Advertisement

#2 PeterElleray

PeterElleray

• 1,120 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 21:09

HI to all,
I need an help to understand what Colin Chapman is saying in this footage about Stewart's life.

at the moment 9:17 he is going to comment about Stewart's race at that moment, and I really dont understand the meaning of any phrases he said.
I think this is something psicological against him by myself, becasue I understood any part of the documentary and enjoy it a lot !!!
Thank you in advance.

Ciao, from MonzaDriver.

this footage is originally from 'if you're not winning, you're not trying'. what is happening is that colin is telling the players sponsor that stewart is champion because he has moved back into 5th place (this is monza). the players guy actually has a better grasp than colin, and queries this, at which point colin does a lightening recalc and says that if he gains one more place he will be - which, ofcourse he does.

basically then,we are privy to a small arithmetic cock-up..

peter

#3 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 21:10

.................and what a great film that was !!

#4 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 21:14

HI to all,

Thank you in advance.

Ciao, from MonzaDriver.

I can only make out what CC is saying, not very much of Peter Warr(?), but it's:-

CC - "Stewart is Champion. He's only got to finish now, and he's Champion."

PW - "********* not got enough points**"

CC - "Well he's fifth now, and he's definitely going to get one more place..."

#5 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,871 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 21:23

Chapman: "Stewart is champion ...."
Man in ear defenders: "What?"
Chapman: "All Stewart's got to do is finish now and he's champion ...
Man in ear defenders: [unintelligible]
Chapman: "Well, he's fifth now ... it'll be even pegging and he'll get one more place to ....."

Strange phrasing at the end, but Chapman has realised that JYS is - barring disasters - 1973 WDC. "Even pegging" would normally be said as "level pegging", a phrase which comes from the card game cribbage.

#6 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 21:26

Followed by "Send three and fourpence, we're going to a dance!"

#7 Chezrome

Chezrome

• 1,218 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 21:27

I remember very vaguely there was something contreversial with the finish? Peterson won his first Grand Prix ahead of Fittipaldi... but if he would have let Fittipaldi past, the Brazilian still would have had a chance to win the WC?

Something like that. Perhaps mr. Nye can oblige.

#8 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,607 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 21:59

I remember very vaguely there was something contreversial with the finish? Peterson won his first Grand Prix ahead of Fittipaldi... but if he would have let Fittipaldi past, the Brazilian still would have had a chance to win the WC?

Going into the race Stewart had 66 points to Fittipaldi's 42. If Peterson had ceded the win to Fittipaldi, Emerson would have left Monza with 51 points to Stewart's 69, so could just have nicked the title if he'd won the last two races with Stewart failing to score.

It was Peterson's third GP win, not his first.

#9 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 22:35

'It was Peterson's third GP win, not his first.'
Yep, France his first win? Where Emerson crashed then proceeded to hold out Ronnie's timing boards !

#10 MonzaDriver

MonzaDriver

• 424 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:20

Thank you very much to all,
and to Vitesse2 for the insight about " level pegging"
My best regards, MonzaDriver

#11 Chezrome

Chezrome

• 1,218 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:03

Going into the race Stewart had 66 points to Fittipaldi's 42. If Peterson had ceded the win to Fittipaldi, Emerson would have left Monza with 51 points to Stewart's 69, so could just have nicked the title if he'd won the last two races with Stewart failing to score.

It was Peterson's third GP win, not his first.

You're right, ofcourse. But if Chapman did not show any signals to Fittipaldi why was the win controversial? Did Emmo complain afterwards?

#12 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,607 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:45

Fittipaldi apparently believed there were team orders. He's quoted in Mike Lawrence's Colin Chapman - Wayward Genius as follows:

At Monza Colin told me that if Ronnie and I were leading with ten laps to go, and Ronnie was ahead of me, he'd hang out a board telling Ronnie to let me through, but he did not tell Ronnie this. With ten laps to go, Ronnie was ahead and I was on his gearbox, but the pit signal was not hung out ... I finished right behind Ronnie and Jackie won the championship.

Stewart was up to fifth place well before the ten-laps-to-go point. According to the conversation on the video clip Chapman seemed (mistakenly) to have believed that Stewart was therefore champion whatever happened, so might have decided there was no point in applying the team orders.

Edited by Tim Murray, 18 August 2009 - 09:56.

#13 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:23

I don't know what made me think for one moment that 'ear-defender man' was Peter Warr, who was about a foot taller than Chunky...

#14 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,590 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 13:02

I don't know what made me think for one moment that 'ear-defender man' was Peter Warr, who was about a foot taller than Chunky...

I know you weren't being entirely serious, but I don't remember Peter Warr as being all that tall, I'm about 6'2" and he seemed to be roughly level with me. Colin Chapman was shorter, but being very sensitive about all kinds of things, often wore built-up shoes, which made him around 5'9" or 5'10". He always asked me to sit down on the few occasions that I was in his office...

#15 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 14:10

Ha ha! Quite right, Rob, it was written quickly, and meant as self-reproach! I 'met' ACBC several times, i.e., was at Cheshunt or Hethel on numerous occasions, but only spoke to him once, at Ketterinham Hall, when he looked tired and old, and it is not that easy to judge the height of someone much shorter than oneself. However, as he famously once said 'Anyone over 5' 8" is a freak!' I assume he was not more than 5' 8"! Peter Warr, who looks taller than he is due to an admirable slimness, is not as tall as me, so I'm sure you are right - 6' 2".

#16 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,590 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 15:09

However, as he famously once said 'Anyone over 5' 8" is a freak!' I assume he was not more than 5' 8"! Peter Warr, who looks taller than he is due to an admirable slimness, is not as tall as me, so I'm sure you are right - 6' 2".

Yes, I can just imagine him saying that, probably in response to someone who complained about the chronic lack of legroom in all early Loti except for the Elan +2, headroom too with a roof on. I was unable to drive a Seven any distance at all, I was looking right over the windscreen, and must have looked ridiculous, and at 6'2" I'm hardly freakishly tall. As far as I was concerned though, things improved tremendously after Mike Kimberley (6'5") joined Lotus as head of engineering, and very soon made his presence felt. Tall but masochistic car enthusiasts the world over breathed a sigh of relief.