Photo

F1 Demographics

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Madera

Madera

• 372 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 00:57

I'm curious about F1 fans around in the U.S.A.

I'm in the States and the handful of people I know who are into F1 are white males. Of which I am one.

I have never met a Black F1 fan, or any other ethnicity to be honest.

Give a shout to let us know where you stand.

More than likely if I had the opportunity to go to the Indy F1 race, my question would be answered.

Just would be interested to know.

What's the diversity in this forum?

Advertisement

#2 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:09

tbh, i don't think these issues are relevant at all.

F1 fans on BB = racing nerds, male or female from all over globe

F1 fans who watch 2 races a year and cheer for Hamilton, Alonso or Vettel = casual sports fans who flicked channels when cricket was delayed or their football team went 2 goals down etc...

#3 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:14

In general, in the US, ALMS/IRL/F1 fans are roughly the same demographic. Not quite the wine & cheese crowd (though there are more F1 fans there than NASCAR fans) but overall they tend to be white, male, in their 30s, have successful 'white collar' jobs, etc.

#4 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:14

Edit - the demographics change drastically between nations. Chinese and Indians make up the majority of the television viewers.

Edited by slideways, 18 August 2009 - 07:16.

#5 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:32

I don't think they do actually. Yes they have massive populations, but most of them aren't watching TV and not all the TV viewers are even watching F1.

#6 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 10,551 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:15

europe is still the core fanbase, surely. BE's strategy appears to be to keep them watching while taking the races to new markets where he can 1) attract new fans and 2) tap new commercial opportunities. apologies if i'm stating the obvious here but i don't think the demographics have changed all that much, despite increased interest in asia. i'd say things have stayed static in the US ... at best.

#7 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 13:59

I don't have the broadcast report but I found this:

Formula One was watched by a total of 600 million viewers in 2008, a gain of nearly three million over the 597 million that tuned in during an equally dramatic 2007 campaign.
Italy, no doubt buoyed by Massa's attempts to land Ferrari a second successive crown, remained the leading European television market, with 37.5 million viewers in total throughout the season. Hamilton's championship-winning effort with McLaren, meanwhile, season helped UK commercial broadcaster ITV gain a seven per cent increase in total viewers, to 29.1 million, in what would be the company's final season before handing coverage back to the BBC.
In Germany, where Formula One audiences have been in decline since the retirement of Michael Schumacher in 2006, the total audience slipped behind that of France, who had only rookie Sebastien Bourdais and the Renault team to cheer, into third place in Europe with 29.6 million.
Outside the sport's heartland, China moved ahead of Massa's Brazil to become the territory with the biggest total audience - a reported 119 million compared to Brazil's 110 million.

There are more viewers from Europe than I expected. Still a fairly decent chunk of non anglo viewers just from Italy + Brazil + China.

eliteboy2780 apparently has it try PMing him for it.

#8 mel

mel
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,853 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 14:23

There will be variety of ethnicity, age and gender in each of those countries.

#9 Ivan

Ivan

• 6,646 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:16

I don't meet any of these demographics, should I be deported... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: