Photo

Watkins Glen vs. Road America

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Poll: Which track is the better - Watkins Glen or Road America? (72 member(s) have cast votes)

Which track is the better - Watkins Glen or Road America?

1. Watkins Glen (9 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

2. Road America (58 votes [80.56%])

Percentage of vote: 80.56%

3. Unseparable (5 votes [6.94%])

Percentage of vote: 6.94%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:16

The two main rollercoaster rides when it comes to US road course racing are of course both wonderful creations, with fast sweeping corners and lots of gradient change. Anyway, I'd like to know who you find the better? I go for the Glen, because of the awesome bankings (unique for road courses), coupled with almsot only fast corners. Road America has to many long straights for my ultimate liking, whereas the Glen is even more technical, so that's why the Glen is so close to my heart!

Advertisement

#2 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:23

I find the Glen completely uninteresting in modern race cars, even the long version, because it elimates so many corners. In a Formula Ford or a stock car it is probably a pretty cool track, but the IRL there doesn't seem terribly interesting.

Whereas Road America has good medium speed corners, interesting/scary high speed corners, and a few proper brake zones. Plus I think it's a more scenic race track. Though I'm not a fan of the 2009 version with sooooooo much runoff.

#3 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:50

Road America for sure. Makes Watkins look like a run down carpark.

#4 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 6,513 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:57

F1 on Road America please !!!!!

#5 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:24

Road America is just fantastic. Watkins seems very good too, but not as good.

#6 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:28

FWIW Nicki Hayden rates turn 11 at RA as the most difficult/dangerous in the world.

RA is called America's Spa by many for good reason, well respected.

#7 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:36

FWIW Nicki Hayden rates turn 11 at RA as the most difficult/dangerous in the world.

RA is called America's Spa by many for good reason, well respected.

if dangerous is what we are talking about then the Glen is all the way up there...

Apart from eau rouge, there is space at Spa nowadays... not necessarily true for those American tracks.. especially the Glen..

Watkins glen is completely outdated safety-wise.. end-off.

#8 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,956 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:37

Please don't ruin Road America, keep it intact. A true classic and from all appearances, USA's finest road course.

#9 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 19:00

Road America...

But I would also like to throw out there.......

Sears Point (Infineon Raceway now bleurrrghg)

or

Laguna Seca

To me....Laguna Seca is a fantastic course to drive with a truly awesome corner in "The cokscrew", but having driven it now many times, Sears Point is a truly classic race track that reminds me very much of Brands Hatch...

The start straight to long climbing left up the hill, to negative camber right over crest, leads to a couple of very technical corners before the small back straight that rises then falls into the "Carousel" a truly fantastic long sweeping downhill turn with camber that spits you out onto the back straight for turn 7 and 8, a great 90 right and 90 right into the long flowing Esses that run all the way down to the infamous "Turn 10" where the brave are happy to approach the run down the wall with the door just inches from the wall...to the final hairpin bend (geat for overtaking) back onto the start finish straight...
From adrivers perspective, this track has everything... it is HUGE fun!

Here is a clip from Jo Bonniers Mclaren M6B.... fr those of you that liked "Bullet" as a film, it was a "Can-Am" engine like this that was dubbed onto the film to give it this sound.... This is just the most incredible sounding beast! Enjoy some laps from some different perspectives from this great machine!

Same car going round Laguna...

and just for fun....

Ever seen a School bus do this?

Edited by FlatOverCrest, 19 August 2009 - 19:04.

#10 Direct Drive

Direct Drive

• 408 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 19:07

Road America.
Long straights unencumbered with chicanes, a wide combination of slow, fast and transitional corners, and Siebken's in downtown Elkhart Lake.
No choice here.

#11 Slyder

Slyder

• 5,453 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 21:00

Road America edges Watkins Glen by a few bit. Both tracks are the best.

But amongst them, One must include Road Atlanta. That track also ranks amongst the best in the US.

1. Road America
2. Watkins Glen
3. Road Atlanta

#12 Souffle

Souffle

• 55 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 21:39

The Glen long course is superb! the ascar short course is typical round-d-round micky mouse stuff that ruined 'The Mighty Glen' impression by many people. They would, of course, run the true long circuit.

#13 Dispenser89

Dispenser89

• 3,460 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 22:13

Road America.

#14 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 23:18

Flat, thanks for those links, that Mclaren is amazing. What a sound!

#15 nissan_gtp

nissan_gtp

• 144 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 00:40

Road America edges Watkins Glen by a few bit. Both tracks are the best.

But amongst them, One must include Road Atlanta. That track also ranks amongst the best in the US.

1. Road America
2. Watkins Glen
3. Road Atlanta

I voted Unseparable, but I tend to agree with your ranking. Three very different tracks, all excellent.

One thing that isn't in dispute, Road America has MUCH better food !

#16 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 01:04

Road America.

BTW it should be inseperable. There is no such word as unseperable.

#17 Madera

Madera

• 372 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 01:15

As much as I love The Glen, been going there since the '70s I don't think it would be particularly suited to modern F1 racing.

Yes it would be cool to see them there, for nostalgic reasons, but I don't think the race would be that exciting or safe for that matter.

Having just watched the ALMS race at Road America I think this circuit would be more suited to modern F1.

One that seems to always get left off the list, and I'll say it again, MILLER MOTORSPORTS PARK!

This place would be FANTASTIC for F1.

Close to a major city, Salt Lake, beautiful scenery, a nice undulating track with many configurations.

Wouldn't need any upgrades, pit lane is awesome, facilities first class.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Madera, 20 August 2009 - 01:28.

#18 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 6,120 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 01:51

Road America, definitely. Watkins Glen, especially the NASCAR version, is a dumbed down version of a road course.

#19 Blind Driver

Blind Driver

• 105 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 02:07

I have to jump on the Road America bandwagon. Just a great track in a scenic setting.

Advertisement

#20 Lazy Prodigy

Lazy Prodigy

• 2,688 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:16

Road America no contest. Ive been there and its great. And Miller Motorsports park would be like a Tilke circuit in my opinion.

#21 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:20

The Glen long course is superb! the ascar short course is typical round-d-round micky mouse stuff that ruined 'The Mighty Glen' impression by many people. They would, of course, run the true long circuit.

Actually, I fully agree with you! For me, the corners on the IndyCar section of the track, really makes it stand out as a proper race circuit. Since the Bus Stop chicane was started to be used, the infamous high-speed-sweeper is no longer a real challenge :well: But I guess it spares us some trouble, since a crash there automatically leads to hospital! The thing I don't like about Road America is the lack of super high-speed-turns, to me it's just one heck of a racetrack among others, whereas the original Glen circuit is up amongst the likes of Suzuka and Spa!

#22 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:28

What do you call the Carousel, the kink, or turn 13 then?

#23 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:38

What do you call the Carousel, the kink, or turn 13 then?

The Carousel is a bit over medium speed corner, I think I took it (with very realistic F1 2008 physics) in 120 mph, which is more hard on the neck than anything. It's not like the kinks at Brands, alll of them tremendous reference points. The kink is easy flat in an F1 car, maybe a challenge with the CART's back in the days, when they weren't as suited to rad courses as the Panoz was in latter years. Turn 13 is the blind one, right? I really like that one, but still it feels like a corner where you only need to take the right line to go flat through there, perparing for the final corner and the vital launch up the hill. My personal favourite at Road America is turn 1, that is a really tough corner, which resembles the old Club corner at Silverstone, and gives no margin for error. Overall, RA is among my top 10 favourite circuits in the world, but I don't think it really matches Spa or Suzuka.

#24 Direct Drive

Direct Drive

• 408 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 22:23

BTW it should be inseperable. There is no such word as unseperable.

For all you dumb dipshits that think you know the English language....

Its inseparable!. Goddamnit.

Look: separate [with an A] , and desperate [with an E].

Jesus what a forum.

How about back to Watkins v. Road America and stop this off topic bullshit.

#25 Kaiser

Kaiser

• 2,257 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:39

The two main rollercoaster rides when it comes to US road course racing are of course both wonderful creations, with fast sweeping corners and lots of gradient change. Anyway, I'd like to know who you find the better? I go for the Glen, because of the awesome bankings (unique for road courses), coupled with almsot only fast corners. Road America has to many long straights for my ultimate liking, whereas the Glen is even more technical, so that's why the Glen is so close to my heart!

Laguna Seca
Thunderhill
Sears Point

#26 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 6,513 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:11

Road Atlanta's esses, looks fantastic.

Posted Image

#27 Umpire

Umpire

• 804 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:57

Laguna Seca is pretty cool as well, but between the two I guess RA.

Edited by Umpire, 21 August 2009 - 05:57.

#28 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 07:29

Road America wins it for me because the Glen has the fiddly little Bus Stop chicane. It was a blight on Spa-Francorchamps, and it's a blight here.

Also, I have to say: kudos to the owners of Miller for having a sense of humour in naming their corners.

#29 GeorgeTheCar

GeorgeTheCar

• 376 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 16:06

I hate to pop your bubble but other than the bus stop the NASCAR short course is the F1 track of legend (except for the re-located pits and revised (now) turn one.

The addition that makes the long course was an attempt to regain the glory.

#30 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 16:16

Definitely Road America. Not a dull corner to speak of, its extremely fast, its scenic, and its got some great overtaking spots. One of the best tracks in the world, easily.

#31 Gemini

Gemini

• 3,820 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 16:53

If I would talk out of my simracing experience I have done well on both tracks, but Road America is more challenging.Amazing track! I can't think of any corner there that could be described as 'boring' Both are a 'flowing' tracks, but RA has more challenges, I think.

#32 Rosemayer

Rosemayer

• 1,253 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 17:09

The Carousel is a bit over medium speed corner, I think I took it (with very realistic F1 2008 physics) in 120 mph, which is more hard on the neck than anything. It's not like the kinks at Brands, alll of them tremendous reference points. The kink is easy flat in an F1 car, maybe a challenge with the CART's back in the days, when they weren't as suited to rad courses as the Panoz was in latter years. Turn 13 is the blind one, right? I really like that one, but still it feels like a corner where you only need to take the right line to go flat through there, perparing for the final corner and the vital launch up the hill. My personal favourite at Road America is turn 1, that is a really tough corner, which resembles the old Club corner at Silverstone, and gives no margin for error. Overall, RA is among my top 10 favourite circuits in the world, but I don't think it really matches Spa or Suzuka.

In 2005 the trans_Am cars were going 150 MPH around the carousel.

#33 Haddock

Haddock

• 917 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 17:14

Road America for me. They're both great circuits though. The US has some great road circuits (to use their terminology). All the more baffling, then, that F1 has gone to such awful circuits as Detroit and Phoenix, and more recently, the rather uninspiring Indianapolis infield circuit.

Road Atlanta and Laguna Seca also worthy of note

#34 Kaiser

Kaiser

• 2,257 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 00:07

Definitely Road America. Not a dull corner to speak of, its extremely fast, its scenic, and its got some great overtaking spots. One of the best tracks in the world, easily.

Road America is ALL dull corners except the carousel, and the new t13 is fun. The rest are 90 degree nothing special corners.

#35 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 00:08

Road America is ALL dull corners except the carousel, and the new t13 is fun. The rest are 90 degree nothing special corners.

Oh ok, thanks for letting me know. I guess my opinion was wrong.

#36 Kaiser

Kaiser

• 2,257 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 00:11

If I would talk out of my simracing experience I have done well on both tracks, but Road America is more challenging.Amazing track! I can't think of any corner there that could be described as 'boring' Both are a 'flowing' tracks, but RA has more challenges, I think.

Flowing? How is RA flowing? Not one corner exit is critical for the next corners entry. It's drag strips connected with 90 degree turns. It's fun, and safe but this love fest is over the top. Big Willow is more flowing than RA, at least there you have a few turns where you give up a bit of exit speed to set up for the next corner. RA has not one corner like that.

#37 Kaiser

Kaiser

• 2,257 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 00:13

Oh ok, thanks for letting me know. I guess my opinion was wrong.

My pleasure. I though RA was some kind of wonder track too. Then I rode, and raced there a few times. I still love going to the place, and it's special, but the circuit itself isn't that great.

#38 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 04:27

I like that the corners are stand-alone, it's more tricky to have to be fast on entry and exit.

#39 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 05:32

For all you dumb dipshits that think you know the English language....

Its inseparable!. Goddamnit.

Look: separate [with an A] , and desperate [with an E].

Jesus what a forum.

How about back to Watkins v. Road America and stop this off topic bullshit.

Chill out as$hole!