Photo

McLaren 2010.... who with Lewis...?

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

Poll: McLaren 2010 (170 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will be in the 2nd seat at McLaren in 2010

1. Heikki Kovalainen (23 votes [13.53%])

Percentage of vote: 13.53%

2. Nico Rosberg (99 votes [58.24%])

Percentage of vote: 58.24%

3. Robert Kubica (28 votes [16.47%])

Percentage of vote: 16.47%

4. Nick Heidfeld (20 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 20:58

It has become clear that with Kubica and Heidfeld in the F1 available list in 2010... interest is keenly rising in the second McLaren seat.

HK has just been given notice by the team to improve his game if he wants to remain in the team for next year and Nico Rosberg has now thrown his hat into the ring as interested in Mclaren for next year...

So who do you think will end up next to Lewis next year?

Personally I think HK is gone and either Kubica or Rosberg will be likely candidates..

Advertisement

#2 Owen

Owen

• 10,503 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 20:59

I feel it may be Rosberg's time.

#3 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 21:05

I'd prefer Kubica, from the excitement point of view, but Nico is more likely I think.

#4 alfista

alfista

• 996 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 21:20

Rosberg has avoided to be directly compared to Lewis for so long. Now it seems if he MUST do it if he wants to win something in F1.

#5 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,716 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 21:24

It probably won't be Heidfeld but that man deserves it. He's been hanging out on a promise for soooo long

#6 Radoye

Radoye

• 830 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 21:26

Kimi Raikkonen!!! :rotfl:

#7 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 21:30

I think it'll be Heidfeld.

Kubica will go for Number 1 at Renault.

Rosberg will still favour being the main man at Williams as opposed to a big battle again Lewis at McLaren.

Kovalainen will be ditched because he's underperformed.

Quick Nick will be the pragmatic decision. A solid pro who gets on with it and doesn't make too many waves.

#8 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 21:33

It would be fun to watch Heidfeld beating Hamilton at McLaren without making too many waves. :)

#9 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 21:33

I wouldn't like to see Kubica in the 2nd McLaren, he mght be the best of the 3 on offer but he's so glum and miserable and lacking the team PR touch.

Of the other two.

I think Heidfeld would do a sterling job and good sturdy number two. I think he deservers the drive the most.

Rosberg, it be interesting seeing him in the car cause we'd finally be able to guage how good he really is, or see how good he isn't, has he being underperforming or the williams.
I would want Heidfeld before him as I don't think he's being fair to williams, they've given him his chance, they've stood by him, maybe he should stand by them?

#10 Pegaso

Pegaso

• 512 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 21:35

Someone really fast because apparently the WCC is also important.

Someone without any ego or self-respect so that he could let Lewis pass if necessary

Somenone who only opens his mouth to repeat PR clichés.

Someone without long hair or a beard.

#11 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,142 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 21:35

It probably won't be Heidfeld but that man deserves it. He's been hanging out on a promise for soooo long

If Macca want Lewis as no 1 then Nick is the best person to ensure the WCC. I'd go to say probably one of the most solid on the grid.

Even though it would be more fun with Nico or Kubica in there. From an aesthetic point of view I'd go with Nico. He's the only one it would suit.

Ok thats a wierd way to look at it.

I'm still struggling with Alonso in red (hey I'm still struggling with Kimi in red).

#12 Brawn BGP 001

Brawn BGP 001

• 2,610 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 21:39

Heidfeld or Rosberg, Kova seems off and Kubica will probably join Renault.

#13 andysaint

andysaint

• 249 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 21:41

Rosberg is the most logical I think. He's served his time with Williams gaining experience and won't progress much further unless they get big backing from an engine manufactuer again. He's German (no matter what Merc says it will play a factor), Nico has good connections going back with Lewis for a while, he's non controversial seems well liked and looks fairly consistent and won't be banging on the door to be number 1.

Heidfeld has good connections with Mclaren and Merc too but his time has come and gone. I'd expect him to end up with one of the new teams as they will be gagging for his experience.

Kubica will end up at Toyota or Renault, depending where Alonso goes. I think he may want more control and be a certain number 1 which rules him out of Mclaren. He won't end up where Alonso is who I think will stay put or go to Toyota (more likely stay put if Ferrari is sorted for 2011). I can't see him having done a deal for 2010 and Ferrari wanting to blow a load of money paying Kimi off unless he walks.

Kovalinen may do well at Williams and a straight swap would be ok for them. He's a good driver just probably not up there with the best.

#14 r4mses

r4mses

• 1,100 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 21:41

I'd like to see Heidfeld, for the same reasons others already mentioned. Even though Rosberg or Kubica might be more exciting - but neither will match the Alonso/Hamilton pairing. :/

#15 Pegaso

Pegaso

• 512 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 21:42

From an aesthetic point of view I'd go with Nico. He's the only one it would suit.

Yeah, McLaren doesn't like Kubica's looks. Ron Dennis made some extremely offensive comments about his nose.

#16 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 21:45

I think Kova will stay, in spite of the PR speak I don't think Rosberg would go drive for Hamilton's team ... unless of course Williams killed his ambition.

Edited by engel, 20 August 2009 - 21:45.

#17 bankoq

bankoq

• 2,078 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 21:45

If you want excitement, serve and intense battles than definately Kubica. If you want bulletproof driver but slower than Hamilton it should have been Heidfeld.

#18 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 21:47

If you want excitement, serve and intense battles than definately Kubica. If you want bulletproof driver but slower than Hamilton it should have been Heidfeld.

so...... if you was in Whitmarsh's position who would you go for?

#19 Owen

Owen

• 10,503 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 21:53

If it was me, it would be between Rosberg and Kovy.

Advertisement

#20 Brawn BGP 001

Brawn BGP 001

• 2,610 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 21:55

If you want WCCs, Rosberg is your man.

#21 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 21:57

Well thats still to be seen, and its what would make him having the seat interesting. Is he a potential WDC or just another driver.

#22 as65p

as65p

• 17,283 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 21:57

From an aesthetic point of view I'd go with Nico. He's the only one it would suit.

Ok thats a wierd way to look at it.

Say that again.

#23 Owen

Owen

• 10,503 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 21:58

Well thats still to be seen, and its what would make him having the seat interesting. Is he a potential WDC or just another driver.

All the paddock buzz appears to be putting Rosberg in that McLaren anyway.

#24 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,464 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 21:59

Someone really fast because apparently the WCC is also important.

Someone without any ego or self-respect so that he could let Lewis pass if necessary

Somenone who only opens his mouth to repeat PR clichés.

Someone without long hair or a beard.

Heidfeld can ask the barber to remove the long hair and beard, in exchange for McLaren drive then! Solved!

I think McLaren will go for Kubica... Kubica has battled for title, Rosberg not. That is decisive, although both are good. Kubica... glum? Doesn't matter, they can send for a spray-tan and hair stylist if they want him to look like Kovalainen! :rolleyes: Mercedes road cars are still boring, their facelifted efforts instead of proper new pressings for their low-volume offerings (the various two-doors) is a poor showing etc, so a glum driver is not bad for their image, only a slow driver is!

#25 Brawn BGP 001

Brawn BGP 001

• 2,610 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 22:01

I'm sure he will do a better job than Kova. Hekki nice guy, but WAY out of his depth at Mac.

I don't see why Rosberg cannot challenge Hamilton he has regulary scored 4th and 5th places in the 3rd-4th best car, soundly beaten his teamate and shows good race-craft.

BTW I still think Hamilton will beat him over the course of a season, but it will be close.

He needs to improve in quali though.

#26 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,464 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 22:03

After Canadian GP would you go for Rosberg or Kubica!?

F1 media is fickle, Kubica is still a superstar and after Canada, McLaren or Ferrari would have no issues signing a cursory pre-contract with the pole in case of possible openings in their driver line-ups! :)

Rosberg would do well as well, but Kubica is also very quick, whilst being free from contracts and cheap (would he really rather drive for Renault in P11?), whilst McLaren need to compete against the big $ offers made by Williams to keep Rosberg.

#27 Pegaso

Pegaso

• 512 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 22:04

But do you think Rosberg would like to go from being the unquestionable leader at Williams to McLaren, where he would have to be the second driver from the beginning, having to wait several GPs for the last updates, having the worst strategies etc.?

#28 Brawn BGP 001

Brawn BGP 001

• 2,610 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 22:05

But do you think Rosberg would like to go from being the unquestionable leader at Williams to McLaren, where he would have to be the second driver from the beginning, having to wait several GPs for the last updates, having the worst strategies etc.?

I was speaking from a McLaren point of view.

BTW I hope he stays at Williams as I am a Williams supporter.

#29 Owen

Owen

• 10,503 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 22:07

After Canadian GP would you go for Rosberg or Kubica!?

F1 media is fickle, Kubica is still a superstar and after Canada, McLaren or Ferrari would have no issues signing a cursory pre-contract with the pole in case of possible openings in their driver line-ups! :)

Rosberg would do well as well, but Kubica is also very quick, whilst being free from contracts and cheap (would he really rather drive for Renault in P11?), whilst McLaren need to compete against the big $ offers made by Williams to keep Rosberg.

Kubica is undeniably very talented. However he doesn't strike me as the type of person who would thrive in the McLaren team. I'm not sure if you know what I mean.

#30 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 22:08

soundly beaten his teamate and shows good race-craft.

erm, thats not as impressive as it sounds :p

A lot will depend on how mentally strong Rosberg is, he's leading the team at Williams, if he was getting beat how would he react?

Heidfeld is strong and mature enough to cope, Kubica I would think would strive to be faster if he was slower.

#31 bogi

bogi

• 3,035 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 22:08

He can get his first win, just like Kova :rolleyes:

#32 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,464 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 22:11

Kubica is undeniably very talented. However he doesn't strike me as the type of person who would thrive in the McLaren team. I'm not sure if you know what I mean.

Because Prost was so very marketable? :confused:;) :)

I would hope McLaren don't select drivers based on who makes best photos for Mercedes catalouge. Just like Kubica, Rosberg would also give Lewis a hurry up. As Williams no 1 he has no incentive to mouth off in the press about developments and balance of this car, but if he was in WDC title race and felt Lewis was being favoured and car didn't suit him, Rosberg would likely complain just as much as Kubica!!! So really there is no difference between the two.

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 20 August 2009 - 22:12.

#33 as65p

as65p

• 17,283 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 22:12

Well, if I was in Whitmarsh's position, I would probably keep Heikki. He's easy enough to handle and won't disturb Hamilton's quest for glory.

A bit slow, okay, but who really cares for the WCC anyway. The main thing is, McLaren has with Lewis a guy that's as fast as anyone and the most marketable property of the current grid on top of it. Just provide him with the right tools and keep him happy, the rest will follow.

Thats what I would do if I was, like Whitmarsh, payed a fortune to ensure the best possible solutions for McLaren.

But I ain't, so obviously I'm free to wish for more exciting scenarios (i.e. Kubica).

#34 Owen

Owen

• 10,503 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 22:15

Because Prost was so very marketable? :confused:;) :)

I would hope McLaren don't select drivers based on who makes best photos for Mercedes catalouge. Just like Kubica, Rosberg would also give Lewis a hurry up. As Williams no 1 he has no incentive to mouth off in the press about developments and balance of this car, but if he was in WDC title race and felt Lewis was being favoured and car didn't suit him, Rosberg would likely complain just as much as Kubica!!! So really there is no difference between the two.

I just don't think Kubica would enjoy some of the 'duties' that are required of McLaren drivers. I also don't think McLaren would enjoy his brutal and frank approach when he addresses the media. It's not a good fit for me.

#35 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 22:37

Seriously ... Kubica driving for McLaren would only work as a bet ... How long till Ron blows a gasket and locks Kubica out of the McLaren garage :)

And IMO if McLaren was looking for WCC I think Heidfeld is the *most* reliable guy you can put in your #2 car, but I still feel Kova will stay for another year. I m sure the team will give him the benefit of doubt for having kept him off spec off half the season and him not whining about it to the press like at all.

#36 Menace

Menace

• 12,298 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 22:40

Rosberg :up:

#37 Arion

Arion

• 2,353 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 22:46

It will be either Nico or Heikki. Kubica will go to Renault. I don't think Heidfeld is on the list at all.

#38 Thunder Chat

Thunder Chat

• 166 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 22:59

I think if Ron was still making the calls it would definatly be Kubica because at this point he looks to have the most untapped potential, he is a GP winner, and he's been very fast at times. I think it was Kubica that switched Heidfeld back on at BMW as well, as against villeneuve he'd not been getting the most out of the vcar through not needing to.

Mclaren probably know as well as anybody what Heidfeld is capable of, and he's been in the sport for a long time now. It does seem on here there are people that rate him highly, could you point to particularly notable performances of his that back this up? what drives has he put in that have so impressed you?

Rosberg and Heikki, both intelligent articulate drivers, i'd say both very fast over a single lap, and both seem to come up with a few really good races per year, which is pretty much the fare of a number 2 driver. I think the only question is could rosberg given the chance of driving for a team like mclaren make more of the situation? Mclaren may decide they've taken Heikki as far as they can afford to, and they do want the WCC, it completes the operational success, it is very important to them

So maybe try Rosberg for two years, seems to be generally accepted to have a driver signed for two years to help integrate them, see what happens and monitor Kubica as he develops further.

#39 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 23:05

Mclaren probably know as well as anybody what Heidfeld is capable of, and he's been in the sport for a long time now. It does seem on here there are people that rate him highly, could you point to particularly notable performances of his that back this up? what drives has he put in that have so impressed you?

Umm maybe the fact he beat Kubica pretty convincingly in 07 and again this year?

That aside, Heidfeld is realiable, he brings the car home at a reasonable pace ... I don't think people (well myself at least) see him as a WDC. More like the best number 2 you can get today.

Advertisement

#40 Dispenser89

Dispenser89

• 3,460 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 23:14

Rosberg. About time he moved on from Williams and to a top team.

Heidfeld's a good choice, but i don't see him at McLaren. I see him more at Williams or a new team.

#41 learningtobelost

learningtobelost

• 669 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 23:23

Kubica - Can't see him fitting the Mclaren mold, moreover, I think he would have an 'Alonso like' relationship with lewis.

Nico - German, PR friendly and is talkign the talk at the moment. I think all of this talk about him not wanting to be a #2 in what will most likely be the best or second best car on teh grid next year is rubbish. Williams can offer him points finishes Mclaren can offer him race wins... it's a no-brainer. Also, Hekki really hasn't been badly treated. He's very rarely had dissimilar equipment to lewis (I can only think of one occasion) and he hasn't ever shown enough race pace to justify optimum strategy.

Quick Nick - I think this is the most sensible but perhaps least likely option. As a Macca fan this is who I want to see in the #2 seat. I think he's the best man in the business for bringing the car home in the points most of the time.

Hekki - I think this ship has probably sailed now unfortunately.

#42 Nobody

Nobody

• 1,412 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 23:30

From the latest talk and stories going around, it looks like Nico is all but signed IMO.

#43 Xig

Xig

• 699 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 23:43

After the events of 2001, wouldn't be ironic, yet sweet, if Heidfeld gets the seat at McLaren?

Well... I really wanted to see him at McLaren on 2002, so that's my only argument here.

#44 FI-Addict

FI-Addict

• 167 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 23:44

Everything points towards Heikki out, Nico in. Can't picture Kubica in a McLaren for some reason and I suspect there may still be some ill feeling from Heidfeld after McLaren's employment of Kimi despite Nick's long affiliation with the team.

#45 Thunder Chat

Thunder Chat

• 166 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 01:17

I must admit having looked at the stats Nick has performed well against Kubica, and even last year wasn't that far off him. I don't know why i just see Kubica as being faster, more dynamic and more of a racer. I still can't think of any spectacular performances from nick but he does get points. I suppose his downside is he's been there for a while and Kubica hasn't, so by rights he should beat him certainally in the first year. Thats the same thought process mclaren went through when they selected kimi wasn't it?

#46 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 04:30

The only reference we have on Rosberg to other drivers is Webber and the Williams was appalling that year and Nico was on debut. Webber and Rosberg scored 7 and 4 points (14th and 17th in WDC) so given Mark had 4 seasons in F1 and about 70 starts on Nico as well as being established in the team the debutant didn't disgrace himself. Now we see Webber as a winner in F1 and Rosberg obviously a much improved driver I think Nico is a potential regular podium racer with enough wins in him.

I doubt that McLaren would go back to their old policy of two star drivers so Nico will have to play second fiddle to Lewis (if that's where he goes). I am still not sure if Nico isn't actually using the McLaren hype to lever a better deal at a resurgent Williams. At Williams he would benefit from a strong No2 but with the finances there and a probable commitment to Japan Inc it looks not that likely for 2010. On balance I think he will take the challenge. I definitely think he is top of the shopping list because Heidfield is seen as history and Kubica is probably viewed as grumpy and not the right look.

#47 femi

femi

• 6,203 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 04:45

Heidfeld can ask the barber to remove the long hair and beard, in exchange for McLaren drive then! Solved!

I think McLaren will go for Kubica... Kubica has battled for title, Rosberg not. That is decisive, although both are good. Kubica... glum? Doesn't matter, they can send for a spray-tan and hair stylist if they want him to look like Kovalainen! :rolleyes: Mercedes road cars are still boring, their facelifted efforts instead of proper new pressings for their low-volume offerings (the various two-doors) is a poor showing etc, so a glum driver is not bad for their image, only a slow driver is!

I think Mclaren would or should avoid a situation like they had with Alonso. Closely matched competitive drivers - yes, distructive internal rilvaries a.k.a Alonso - no.
At the end of the day, Mclaren would want or should want drivers that would deliver both titles, carry forward car development and attractive to sponsors period.

#48 Schumacher Forever

Schumacher Forever

• 55 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:41

Where is the "Michael Schumacher" option? Please add it so I can vote in your poll. OK, it's not the most likely scenario as Schumi is loyal and will therefore (probably) drive for Ferrari next year, but wouldn't it be exciting to see Schumi vs Hamilton in the same car nevertheless? Familiar team and car might give Hamilton the advantage he needs to challenge Schumi, so McLaren would be the ideal place for this matchup if you wanted it to be a close battle.

If it isn't Schumi, then maybe Rosberg, because people with moustache aren't very smart.

#49 teejay

teejay

• 3,653 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:50

Schumi? Wow crack must be real cheap out your way.

As a McLaren supporter, I just cant see Kubica there. HK would have to do something special to keep his seat.

Nico is looking likely.

#50 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 07:06

Where is the "Michael Schumacher" option? Please add it so I can vote in your poll.

Er..... NO