Photo

Practice of taking over a team-mate's car

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MichaelJP

MichaelJP

• 849 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 10:52

Was reading recently a copy of Alfred Neubauer's autobiography - I was wondering if anyone could cast light on the practice of allowing a driver who's car had failed to take over a team mate's car, often getting championship points as a result.

It's fascinating but seems strange now. Why was it ever considered a reasonable thing to allow? What were the rules applied? Did the junior driver *have* to obey?

Finally when and why did the practice end?

Many thanks,
- Michael

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,725 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:02

1961?

Though I have a notion I recall Clark taking over Trevor Taylor's car once... in the USGP?

#3 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,197 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:21

Some useful info in these earlier threads:

The last shared drive in a Formula One Grand Prix

Substitute Drivers

#4 JtP1

JtP1

• 753 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:23

1961?

Though I have a notion I recall Clark taking over Trevor Taylor's car once... in the USGP?

1964 and it was Mike Spence. Peter Arundell had replaced trevor Taylor for 64 and had been injured at Reims in June(?) 64.

That was probably the last swap during a race till the practice was stopped, but Brabham gave his car to Gurney on the grid at Silverstone in 65. After Gurney's Climax had swallowed a valve on the warm up lap, giving him a 5 valve cylinder Climax V8.

#5 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 5,994 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:08

The end of the practice has been discussed here before, but it might be interesting to consider when it started. Everybody knows that the rules of the first Grand Prix allowed a change of driver on the second day, and that Burton took over Jenatzy's Mercedes, but it seems to have been a very rare occurrence until the mid-30s. Did the rules change in 1934 or was it just that teams became more inclined to do it?

#6 MichaelJP

MichaelJP

• 849 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 13:49

The end of the practice has been discussed here before, but it might be interesting to consider when it started. Everybody knows that the rules of the first Grand Prix allowed a change of driver on the second day, and that Burton took over Jenatzy's Mercedes, but it seems to have been a very rare occurrence until the mid-30s. Did the rules change in 1934 or was it just that teams became more inclined to do it?

That's what interests me as well - was it a rule initially because where the car itself finished was thought more important than who was driving it? And then as driver's championships became important the rule was exploited for points reasons?