• 25 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 15:38

You are not forgotten Gonchi.

Advertisement

#2 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 19:15

'Gonzo' was one of the nicest people in the F3000 paddock, never turned us down for an interview, regardless of if things were going well or badly. He genuinely seemed to be thoroughly happy racing, enjoying every moment. Always said hello, always had a smile when he saw you, and always seemed to be with his team, be it at the circuit, or the bar/pool table/tennis court (usually playing football). I was so dissapointed he didn't get an F1 drive, but was happy for him when he went to CART, then I heard the news, and for the first time in a long time was saddened that not just a racing driver, but a very nice human being had gone. Staggered it was so long ago.

#3 byrkus

byrkus

• 1,011 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 20:15

Ten years already? It also means that next month it will be 10 years of Greg Moore's death... And it still seems to me as if it was yesterday.

How time flies... :|

#4 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 20:21

Yep, I too remember him when we were covering F3000 back in 97 and 98. I certainly remember him as being very approachable. RIP.

#5 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,489 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 20:45

A very nice tribute evening was held in Monza on Thursday: sad, obviously, but filled with warmth all the same. Below is a snap of artist Bill Patterson's Gonchi tribute, which was signed by several drivers - including Messrs Barrichello, Button & Webber - and then auctioned to raise funds for the Gonzalo Rodriguez Memorial Foundation.

Posted Image
Wonderful bloke, sadly missed.

#6 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 15:19

He was really unlucky, and it was really sad that it happened. R.I.P. It's just unbelievable 10 years have gone since that fateful day :cry:

#7 Greatest

Greatest

• 164 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:03

I remember reading the news from a news-paper... Bloody depressing and sad! I always thought he was going to be wonderful to watch in F1. His race e.g. at Spa in F3000 was great to see. So much more to offer & gone too soon. R.I.P., Gonchi! You'll never be forgotten... :cry: :up:

#8 Seppi_0_917PA

Seppi_0_917PA

• 248 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 14:07

15 years now. Trailer for a soon-to-be-released documentary, "Gonchi":

http://www.gonchilapelicula.com/

#9 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,215 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 20:44

15 years ago, really? I liked Gonzalo immensely - a ready smile, who was as a driver fast, occasionally careless, but that would've probably been honed out in time with experience. I'm sure - given time - he would've found his feet in America and been extremely successful. Then maybe he would've come over, a la Villeneuve or Bourdais, to F1 which wasn't open to him in 1999.

I remember that Greg Moore died shortly after, but also I'm sure around Rodriguez's death, Jason Watt had his motorbike accident and was paralysed - three great talents not allowed to fufil their potential.