Photo

Stéphane Proulx, F3000

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 F3000man

F3000man

• 74 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 13:49

Some days ago I read a canadian article telling about his career. He became a driver by his mother, who was one of the first female drivers in Canada. Later, he was arrested for speeding up on a highway and he signed with Player's to sponsor him at Europe.

He attended two seasons in F3000 and was quick but unlucky. Unfortunately, his career didn't recover from this until his death.

His story was interesting and I didn't know most of this details. Was Proulx considered a promising driver at late 80s and early 90s? Or just another crazy rich kid?

Advertisement

#2 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 15:59

not rich . his mother did a very small formula cars "carreer" in the early 70s but his day job was in the media , wich explain a certain ease to find sponsors but no personal wealth .he did the usual ride karting, formula ford .he was good but not F1 stuff, not like bertrand Fabi for instance who won the european and british f2000 titles and was going to do F3 in england with dick bennett west surrey then the best f3 team and died doing testing at goodwood. still Proulx death was absurd and avoidable

#3 bigears

bigears

• 872 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 16:59

It seems it was a cock-up with a bllod transfusion that resulted in him dying from AIDS wasn't it?

Anyway, a nice photo of him from 1990 Birmingham Superprix

Posted Image

Edited by bigears, 15 September 2009 - 17:00.

#4 F3000man

F3000man

• 74 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 17:20

not rich . his mother did a very small formula cars "carreer" in the early 70s but his day job was in the media , wich explain a certain ease to find sponsors but no personal wealth .he did the usual ride karting, formula ford .he was good but not F1 stuff, not like bertrand Fabi for instance who won the european and british f2000 titles and was going to do F3 in england with dick bennett west surrey then the best f3 team and died doing testing at goodwood. still Proulx death was absurd and avoidable

Yeah, good reminder about Bertrand Fabi. Proulx, Fabi and Greg Moore would be absolutely able to launch the canadian motorsport to even higher levels.

#5 F3000man

F3000man

• 74 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 17:22

It seems it was a cock-up with a bllod transfusion that resulted in him dying from AIDS wasn't it?

Anyway, a nice photo of him from 1990 Birmingham Superprix

Posted Image

I heard it happened after he suffered a massive crash in F-Ford 2000 or F-Atlantic, don't remember now.

#6 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,388 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 17:38

Some background from the Toronto Star (article by Norris McDonald).

#7 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,260 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 21:29

Stéphane Proulx arrived in F3000 with a decent reputation, but never managed to embellish it during two seasons with GA and, latterly, Pacific. At the time, quite a few of the guys who worked with him felt he was overly concerned with his image and didn't focus enough on the things that mattered.

He could be prickly with the media, too, and a qualifying incident at Jerez in 1990 sticks in my mind. He and Didier Artzet tripped over each other - I can't remember which of them ruined the other's lap - but they were cruising towards the final corner, gesticulating like a couple of kids, when Eric van de Poele arrived at full tilt and flew off the road while trying to avoid them. All three cars ended up off the track and, having witnessed the incident, I described it in some detail in the following week's Motoring News. At some stage I used the words "kitty litter"... as a result of which Proulx phoned me at home, late on a Thursday night, because he thought I was suggesting he must be a piece of sh*t. It took a while to convince him that it was merely a euphemism for gravel trap, nothing more, and after that our working relationship seemed to improve.

Edited by Simon Arron, 15 September 2009 - 21:33.

#8 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,390 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 03:13

As a kid I followed F3000 just as closely as F1, in those days all races were also live on Eurosport. And I remmeber Stéphane Proulx vividly and at the time I though he did have enough talent for F1 but lacked luck or money. Sadly his illness decided otherwise (AIDS that he got from a blood transfusion).

#9 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 21:22

Yeah, good reminder about Bertrand Fabi. Proulx, Fabi and Greg Moore would be absolutely able to launch the canadian motorsport to even higher levels.

A sobering thought - it seems to run like this on occasion.
In the late 1950's the bulk of Italian talent (Ascari, Musso, Castelotti etc) died within a three seasons then a trio of promising Brit's(Williamson, Brise, Pryce) were wiped out between 73 and 77.
As Mario memorably said "racing is also this", sadly. :(

Edited by simonlewisbooks, 02 January 2010 - 21:23.

#10 Luca Pacchiarini

Luca Pacchiarini

• 416 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 23:04

A sobering thought - it seems to run like this on occasion.
In the late 1950's the bulk of Italian talent (Ascari, Musso, Castelotti etc) died within a three seasons then a trio of promising Brit's(Williamson, Brise, Pryce) were wiped out between 73 and 77.
As Mario memorably said "racing is also this", sadly. :(

...and the German Catastrophe during the eighties: Bellof, Winkelhock and Stommelen... :cry:

#11 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,500 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 23:36

...and Austria suffered more than most - Rindt, Lauda (nearly), Koinigg, Hoettiger, Gartner, Ratzenberger...and Gerhard Berger was nearly killed in a road accident in 1984-5. In terms of drivers per country, that's an horrific casualty rate.

#12 Project Indy

Project Indy

• 45 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:48

Other image of Proulx

Posted Image

Image: lolaheritage.co.uk

#13 Project Indy

Project Indy

• 45 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:51

Its Proulx ?

Posted Image

#14 bigears

bigears

• 872 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 12:22

Must be, because of the maple leaf emblem on the helmet as you can see there.

#15 mfd

mfd

• 2,895 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 22:44

Is it Proulx ?

Yes it is - I painted that helmet for 91

#16 roversfan090

roversfan090

• 18 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:30

blimey i never knew he died of aids so young

whenever i saw him race it just looked like he crashed but many people say he was talented enough to do well in europe thanks for this thread