• 276 posts

Posted 28 October 2000 - 09:44

Posted Image[p][Edited by island on 11-04-2000]

Advertisement

#2 Falcadore

Falcadore

• 1,636 posts

Posted 28 October 2000 - 10:19

Sorry didn't get the pic. Sandown is it?
yours
Jonesy

#3 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,944 posts

Posted 03 November 2000 - 13:12

There is a corner in Dandenong Road near Caulfield, but I'm sure island is referring to Sandown...
Come on, island, get that picture to come up! We're busting to get on with answering your question.

#4 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,881 posts

Posted 03 November 2000 - 13:31

Island your img link points to
http://sandown1973pic2.jpg
. You just need to add the first part of the address
www. &c

#5 island

island

• 276 posts

Posted 03 November 2000 - 18:23

Thanks, Wolf.
However, it still does not work.
I tried: http://www.people.fr...own1973pic2.jpg
and placed img and /img around it.
Any suggestions ?

#6 david_martin

david_martin

• 1,989 posts

Posted 03 November 2000 - 18:43

The link to your picture is wrong. I can't even go to your ISP and see the picture. It looks like something in its path is missing (your user name perhaps?)

#7 island

island

• 276 posts

Posted 04 November 2000 - 12:50

At last !
I managed to post the picture.
Was 1973 the best F5000 Tasman season ?
I think so. At least there was quite a variety of cars.
Five different F5000s entering Dandenong !

#8 david_martin

david_martin

• 1,989 posts

Posted 04 November 2000 - 13:32

Congratulations!

Could one of our resident Australian F5000 experts possibly help me with the a silly, but related question?

Since F5000 has been the subject of discussion quite a bit in the Nostalgia Forum I have been haunted by what must be the first motorsport image I ever owned - a glorious colour poster of an Ansett Airlines sponsored F5000 car at Surfers Paradise. I am guessing it was taken in 1976 (forgive me, I was only about 7 years old at the time). Could anybody possbility help me out with any details of the likely car, team or driver. Very sketchy details I am afraid, but seeing that photo brought it all back.

#9 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,944 posts

Posted 04 November 2000 - 14:41

If it's a car with quite angular features, then it's the MR8 Elfin. Ansett sponsorship was really very little more than a contra deal with the airline and ancillary suppliers, as far as I can work out. They got rental cars and that sort of thing in the deal, lots of plane tickets. It was called Ansett Team Elfin, and the drivers who drove cars under this umbrella were: Garrie Cooper (Elfin builder), John McCormack, Phil Moore, Vern Schuppan, Larry Perkins, John Bowe, Didier Pironi and James Hunt.

#10 david_martin

david_martin

• 1,989 posts

Posted 04 November 2000 - 17:54

Thanks Ray.

I figured from reading some of your posts that if I put a F5000 flavoured worm on the hook I would probably get a bite.

John McCormack and Elfin do ring a bell. Did they use the Repco engine? I am recalling the caption on the poster "the driver - Team Ansett Elfin Repco - Surfers Paradise", although that could be me hallucinating again. It was a great side on shot printed on a wall sized poster in full colour - made a very big impression on a young boy just realising why every male in Australia spent a particular Sunday in October watching Falcons and Toranas drive up and down a mountain 163 times (whether in person or on the newly introduced sparkling colour TV) ....[p][Edited by david_martin on 11-04-2000]

#11 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,944 posts

Posted 05 November 2000 - 10:30

David, there are too many variables to say it's McCormack just yet...
There were three models of Elfin F5000 that ran the Ansett livery... sorry, four... the MR5, MR6, MR8 and MR9.
The MR5 came out first with a wing straight across the top of the nose, but quickly went to what we normally call a 'Tyrrell nose' with very plain shape.
The MR6, which was actually sometimes the ML6 (R for Repco-Holden engine, L for Leyland engine) was a smaller car with more modern shaping of the nose. Only McCormack drove this car, he wore a fairly plain dark helmet, from memory.
The MR8 was, as mentioned above, more angular. It arrived c. 1977, was Chev powered and unlikely to have Repco identification. The MR9 was a ground effect car.
email me the pic (at raygbell@ozemail.com.au) and we'll get somewhere...

#12 david_martin

david_martin

• 1,989 posts

Posted 05 November 2000 - 11:08

Ray,

thanks again, but I think we have just about reached the end of the line.

The reason for these sketchy details is that I am working from childhood memories and I am almost 100% certain I do not have the poster any more - even if I did it is in storage in the Southern Hemisphere and I am in the Northern Hemisphere. So I cannot send you a scan of it to inspect and clarify.

Having said that, I doubt is was the ground effect car. I don't remember it looking like most of the ground effect F1 and Indy Cars I have seen - bearing in mind all of this is from memory recorded through the eyes of a 7 year old. It probably could have looked like a Can Am Car or a Lotus 49!!

From the events in my life at that time I would say that I must have gotten the poster during 1977 and I am almost certain that the caption had Repco - definitely not Leyland and probably not Chevy, so the MR6 would seem to be a likely candidate - I cannot recall the helmet colour so if Peter McCormack was the only MR6 driver, then it was probably him.

Given the sketchy details I think you have done remarkably well. When (if) that poster ever becomes the topic of conversation I will now be able to sound much more authorative. If we are ever in the same neck of the woods, I owe you a glass of your drink of choice :)

#13 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,944 posts

Posted 05 November 2000 - 11:28

I think I'm just going to have to post pics of each of the cars... I don't think McCormack is real likely, unless it's in the MR5.

#14 island

island

• 276 posts

Posted 06 November 2000 - 17:23

Posted Image[p][Edited by island on 11-06-2000]

#15 island

island

• 276 posts

Posted 06 November 2000 - 17:28

http://photos.yahoo....intl=us&.src=phPosted Image

#16 island

island

• 276 posts

Posted 06 November 2000 - 17:35

David,

I have posted images of McCormack`s Elfin MR5 at Sandown
(1973) and Schuppan`s Elfin MR8 at Oran Park (1978).
Is one of it the car on the poster ?

#17 david_martin

david_martin

• 1,989 posts

Posted 06 November 2000 - 18:05

Great photos (although one in the second post does not appear to work). And thankyou for going to so much trouble for such a silly bit of childhood nostalgia on my part. Did you take them yourself?

The colour scheme is definitely correct. I would say it looked more like the MR8 that the MR5 - I don't recall it having one of those early 70's F1 style "cow catcher" front wings. I also think it had an air box more like the MR8 and more angular than the MR5. If I was to choose one I would say the MR8. But I understand it was Chevvy powered, and I thought it was Repco powered. But a lot of this is conjecture, I am working from childhood memory here.

As I said, having gone through the events of my life around that time I am certain I got it during 1977 or early 1978 at the very latest, so it was probably taken in 1976 or 1977. That might rule out the MR8.

Thanks a bunch.

#18 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,944 posts

Posted 08 November 2000 - 08:51

Why has not a single picture posted on this thread worked?
David really needs to see all the cars, 5, 6 & 8, and from different angles, too, and with the MR5, with both noses.
I'll just have to find time to do it...

#19 island

island

• 276 posts

Posted 08 November 2000 - 19:28

Posted Image

Ray, I take up your advice. Here is a shot of Elfin MR 6
(Oran Park 1974).

Advertisement

#20 david_martin

david_martin

• 1,989 posts

Posted 08 November 2000 - 20:56

Firstly, to both Island and Ray I have to say thankyou for indulging me, your collective efforts are way above the call of duty.

On to the good stuff. I looked at the MR6 picture and the waves of recognition flooded back. I am certain that is it. High air box, fully enclosed body and no "cow catcher" nose and more angular than the MR5, and more "compact" than the MR8.

Another sterling photo BTW - I get the distinct impression there may be more where these came from.

#21 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,944 posts

Posted 09 November 2000 - 08:09

You see a photo? I don't... incredible, haven't seen a pic on this thread yet, although others say they do!
Oh, no trouble at all, I was at the computer anyway...