Photo

N. Piquet future.....?

• Please log in to reply
442 replies to this topic

#1 ff1600

ff1600

• 146 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 02:44

Nelson Jr. and his father have more or less destroyed the kids F1 future. It boils down to the guy can not be trusted and no one will take a chance on Nelson Jr. Remember when you get the kid the father comes along. A package deal. Nelson Sr. has proven over the years that he is not stable. So what team wants that tag team of trouble. If Nelson Sr wants his kid in an F1 car just buy him a ride with one of the new teams. The old man (I think) has made 100s of mil. in the cell phone business in Brazil.

Advertisement

#2 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 2,941 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 02:58

If Nelson Sr wants his kid in an F1 car just buy him a ride with one of the new teams. The old man (I think) has made 100s of mil. in the cell phone business in Brazil.

Isn't the old saying, the only way to make a small fortune in motorsport is to start with a large one?

#3 Ultra150

Ultra150

• 628 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 03:02

Nope.

#4 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 03:16

2010 >>

Posted Image

#5 SPBHM

SPBHM

• 834 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 03:32

yes! Gran Turismo 5 will keep Piquet busy!

#6 Lada Lover

Lada Lover

• 4,112 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 04:12

Some of us don't even have a XBox or a PS3.

#7 taran

taran

• 1,817 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 06:57

One could assume that his career is over and often that is the case for whistleblowers.

But there are other possibilities. A team like McLaren, which has certainly earned its reputation for being a bunch of cheaters, could sign Piquet as a sign to the world that their cheating days are over. With Piquet in the cockpit, you can be sure after all that any hanky-panky will come out eventually so McLaren will have to be squeaky clean. :D

But seriously, I hope Piquet manages to salvage his career. Yes, he made a mistake and then was less than forthright in adressing it. But none of us were in his situation and we can only hope we'd have done better. Briatore and Symonds should burn in ex-racers hell for putting him in that position. They were the ones to initiate this mess. Piquet should be given some credit for allowing the FIA to drain this boil on F1. He might have had his own reasons or agenda for doing it but the (F1) people who are now calling his career over and attacking his reasons probably also have an agenda.....

By demonizing Piquet, they are trying to make sure nobody else will dare expose other scandals.....

#8 prettyface

prettyface

• 3,029 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 07:31

I wouldn't be so sure he'll be out of a job. Victim or villain, his profile is very high and money matters a lot in F1. I wouldn't employ him but I'm not in F1. Maybe no team will take him seriously as a contender but he still could be a no.2. Besides, we don't know what deal was made with Max/Bernie.

Nelson Sr. could even set up a team and get investors. You never know, F1 is not the most logical of sports.

#9 sir jackie walker

sir jackie walker

• 622 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 07:39

He'll find something. He has the immunity, so he'll be facing no ban from [FIA sanctioned] racing. Crashgate must have damaged his chances of landing a seat at some new backmarker team, but he is not 107 % certainly out from F1. His time at Renault (and F1) was disappointing, but it has now become evident that his situation in the team was terrible; he might not be that bad afterall. I don't believe he remains in F1, though. There are better choices out there available for the new teams. But he'll definitely be racing if he wants. I'm sure SLF would like to grab yet another ex F1 'star'.

#10 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 07:46

I hope he is never allowed to race an F1 car ever again....

HIS choice to crash a car deliberately according to him, makes him a disgusting danger to all those around him and I hope his squealing comes back to bite him horribly in the ass.

#11 Buckethead

Buckethead

• 705 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:13

HIS choice to crash a car deliberately according to him, makes him a disgusting danger to all those around him and I hope his squealing comes back to bite him horribly in the ass.

YES! I liked him before and I know he isn't as bad as he looked. But crashing in purpose and keeping happy face, then when he gets sacked, blames everyone else (I though he is the one who turns the wheel?) and is acting like a victim. Hopefully never see him again. What a douchebag.

#12 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 1,350 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:21

Pha...do you think Nelson Piquet jr will do the same mistake again ? He was in a terrible situation, and the F***ing boss/manager and Pat did misslead the young and not so experienced rookiedriver. As far as I have read and heard Nelson jr did it to please his idiot boss/manager and Symonds. It was Silly Season and Flavio might have comment " If our fix works out well, I give you a seat for next season (2009)".

I hope Nelson Piquet jr get a seat in F1, or where ever he want to end up. The guy is talanted driver,reliable ,got curage and are good guy when it really counts.
I also think FIA prefer to hear the truth, get to know whats really going on behind the scenes, than guys/drivers/involved who act like mouses...the "mouses" are afraid. And I see guys like Piquet jr as very brave person who brings this awful case to the light....

Edited by Lotusseven, 19 September 2009 - 08:22.

#13 Red 5

Red 5

• 610 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:27

He is a weak minded individual who sold out the sport. There are far more deserving individuals who dont have a "name" behind them who would relish the opportunity to be in F1. I hope he never races competitively again but no doubt his father's money will buy him a seat somewhere.

#14 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 09:24

A modelling career perhaps?

#15 Pharazon

Pharazon

• 1,126 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 09:36

if he ever drives in f1 again i'd be astounded

#16 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 09:40

But there are other possibilities. A team like McLaren, which has certainly earned its reputation for being a bunch of cheaters, could sign Piquet as a sign to the world that their cheating days are over.

nice :lol:

It won't be easy but with all these new teams coming in it might be not too difficult for a young driver, with nearly 2 years F1 experience and serious money backing him, to find a seat in 2010.

Not that I'm particulary a fan of Piquet or that I feel he deserves it but the kid was not bad before F1 and might turn out to be an OK driver in another team not teamed-up with Alonso and without Briatore as his boss.

#17 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,540 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 09:40

So what was his problem? Pre-F1 career being pampered too much by his dad? To me he looked like an okay driver, but too weak mentally to handle the pressure.

#18 smartie_f1

smartie_f1

• 296 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 10:04

Pha...do you think Nelson Piquet jr will do the same mistake again ? He was in a terrible situation, and the F***ing boss/manager and Pat did misslead the young and not so experienced rookiedriver. As far as I have read and heard Nelson jr did it to please his idiot boss/manager and Symonds. It was Silly Season and Flavio might have comment " If our fix works out well, I give you a seat for next season (2009)".

I hope Nelson Piquet jr get a seat in F1, or where ever he want to end up. The guy is talanted driver,reliable ,got curage and are good guy when it really counts.
I also think FIA prefer to hear the truth, get to know whats really going on behind the scenes, than guys/drivers/involved who act like mouses...the "mouses" are afraid. And I see guys like Piquet jr as very brave person who brings this awful case to the light....

NPJ was quite clear in his statements that at no point did anyone say to him that if he crashed the car his contract would be renewed. If we're saying everything else in his statement is true why should that sentence be a lie?

#19 smartie_f1

smartie_f1

• 296 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 10:05

So what was his problem? Pre-F1 career being pampered too much by his dad? To me he looked like an okay driver, but too weak mentally to handle the pressure.

Hasn't his daddy funded in one way or another all his seats in previous formulae? So has he gotten any of his seats on his own merit?

Advertisement

#20 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,786 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 10:34

Hasn't his daddy funded in one way or another all his seats in previous formulae? So has he gotten any of his seats on his own merit?

you can fund all his seats but he did actually win before..
he raced hamilton to the title, that can't be that bad...

#21 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 10:58

the kid crashed his car 17 times... i think he destroyed his career himself

#22 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 6,333 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 11:20

I don't think he will ever race in F1 again.

#23 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,863 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 11:29

the kid crashed his car 17 times... i think he destroyed his career himself

Quite some time ago, another driver crashed his car at least once at every race meeting. In his first year of racing. His career lasted for a further 13 years. But he wasn't part of any scandals like the one stirred up after Piquet agreed to do what he did.

Bonus points to who guesses whoever that driver was.

#24 stevvy1986

stevvy1986

• 3,168 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 11:31

If I was a team boss in any series I wouldn't even spend half a millisecond considering hiring Piquet. The only way he'll get into F1 is if his dad buys a team, and that should really be the only way he gets another drive in any series.

#25 Just waiting

Just waiting

• 868 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 13:11

Quite some time ago, another driver crashed his car at least once at every race meeting. In his first year of racing. His career lasted for a further 13 years. But he wasn't part of any scandals like the one stirred up after Piquet agreed to do what he did.

Don't know, but Mansell did a lot of it in practice, even when he was leading the WDC.....

Besides, find another driver so dedicated to helping his team win, that he would do anything to help.... :up: ....

(Of course, there is one race he might need to be skipping for the next few years...)

and there is always the USGP team, seems they are having some trouble finding some really proven talent....

Edited by Just waiting, 19 September 2009 - 13:12.

#26 rich06

rich06

• 38 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 13:34

was it Andrea De Cesaris (aka de Crasheris)?

#27 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,266 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 13:42

Wild guess Nelson Piquet Sr, his first couple of years weren't too hot. A lot of retirements

Edited by Mandzipop, 19 September 2009 - 13:52.

#28 F1 Tor.

F1 Tor.

• 2,832 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 13:43

I would be very surprised to see him in an F1 car again. As for another racing series, who knows and, more importantly, who cares?

#29 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,863 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 13:51

was it Andrea De Cesaris (aka de Crasheris)?

de Cesaris it was. I think his 1981 season is quite infamous, and nobody must have given him a chance after that season... He kept racing in F1 until 1994. But he didn't get himself in any Piquet-like mess, though.

Edited by Victor_RO, 19 September 2009 - 14:00.

#30 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,400 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 14:21

De Crasheris father was the head of Marlboro Italy. Blabvio underestimated just how crazy Sr. is, an arrogant and stupid mistake. :down:

I wouldn't touch Jr. He's poison now. It takes two to Tango.

#31 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 14:27

if he ever drives in f1 again i'd be astounded

If he can get a job frying burghers i'd be astounded !
Even old man Piquet has a better chance of a drive :-)

#32 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 1,350 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 14:52

NPJ was quite clear in his statements that at no point did anyone say to him that if he crashed the car his contract would be renewed. If we're saying everything else in his statement is true why should that sentence be a lie?

Ok, I´m sorry. I have forgot what was write in that statment. my bad...sorry.

#33 ron_dennis

ron_dennis

• 282 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 15:04

Junior has no future - he was an awful driver and no one wanted him.

#34 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 1,350 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 15:11

aHoy ! Guys...I found this on another forum...

don't know if anyone pointed this out, but:

1 - Last year, Mosley gets involved in a sex scandal. He says (if I recall correctly) that he has an idea of who hired the detectives that set him up, and that "if you point a gun at my head, you better have bullets in it".
2 - Piquet Junior levas Renault. He starts a war against Briatore and the team itself. Mosley grants him complete imunity if he cooperates.
3 - Lotus enter F1 as a surprise. Instead of the remaining team slot being given to BMW, they give it to a newcomer. Strange?
4 - Briatore leaves Renault. One of the main figureheads in the FOTA his taken down.

Now let's leave the facts and focus on the speculation/gossip:
Piquet was not only granted imunity but also a seat in for next year. Otherwise he wouldn't risk screwing Renault and Briatore, right? Well, Mosley promises him a seat in Lotus, which in turn may actually owe something to Mosley.

Piquet dad gets his revenge for being sacked and mistreated in his last F1 year, when Briatore was his boss. Sweet revenge.

Mosley brings down Briatore as a revenge for having set him up in the sex scandal.

All of this is what I read in a brazilian blog: http://www.blogdocapelli.com.br/, and it makes a hella lot of sense.

I wish someone could translate the blog to english...would be intresting to read what "makes a hella lot of sense."
If Piquet jr read on autosportforum, maybe he LMAO to us...  ;)

#35 ron_dennis

ron_dennis

• 282 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 15:16

I recall Luca di Montezemolo and Flavio Briatore parading Max Mosleys head in the Italian press. 'Tis quite amusing to recall Flavios lack if humility in victory now that he is out of F1 long before his prized scalp!

Edited by ron_dennis, 19 September 2009 - 15:17.

#36 ex Rhodie racer 2

ex Rhodie racer 2

• 1,140 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 15:21

I´m almost certain he will find another ride. Money talks and he has plenty, so where´s the problem?
He will surprise the world of F1 yet, if he can luck out by getting into a good team. I personally wish him well, because no kid trying to achieve something in a sport as hard as F1 needs the baggage he was saddled with.

#37 MegaManson

MegaManson

• 2,102 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 15:41

He will race again but just not in F1

I am sure he will make a living in IRL or Brazilian stock cars

If I was a team boss I would not hire him simply because he crashed the car 17 times in a season and half, 1 of them was due to deliberate action the other 16 through incompetence

#38 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 15:45

Nelson Jr. and his father have more or less destroyed the kids F1 future. It boils down to the guy can not be trusted and no one will take a chance on Nelson Jr. Remember when you get the kid the father comes along. A package deal. Nelson Sr. has proven over the years that he is not stable. So what team wants that tag team of trouble. If Nelson Sr wants his kid in an F1 car just buy him a ride with one of the new teams. The old man (I think) has made 100s of mil. in the cell phone business in Brazil.

This family has no (immediate) future in F1, as no one would want to deal with them.

#39 prettyface

prettyface

• 3,029 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 15:46

You only enter a deal when you have something to gain, or a damage to minimize. So what does Piquet gain?

Piquet's problem before crashgate was that he was out of a drive and had a reputation for being a crasher and slow. With crashgate, he has augmented that reputation with being participant to cheating, weakness and vindictiveness. Hardly an improvement. Oh yes, now he suddenly has a conscience, but he's still out of a seat. Or is he?

Mosley got Flavio, Piquet gets a seat with a pro-Mosley team.

Advertisement

#40 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 15:49

I wish someone could translate the blog to english...would be intresting to read what "makes a hella lot of sense."
If Piquet jr read on autosportforum, maybe he LMAO to us... ;)

Here is the Google translation:

On the treadmill of destruction of reputation of Formula 1, two names came today to the role of ejected: Flavio Briatore and Pat Symonds. Accused by Nelsinho Piquet of masterminding a Machiavellian plan to force a safety car in Singapore Grand Prix last year, were dismissed today by Renault. What seems an act of revenge was consummated. But the question remains: who's revenge?

That Piquet - father and son - were eager to see the back Briatore, no doubt. But however that the information they had on hand were bombastic, the boss of Renault would not be overturned if there was interest in his fall from other bosses.

After all, the scandal of Singapore can not be seen as a big surprise. Jokingly, the suspect ran through the paddock as long. It sounded like folklore, there was no evidence, but in fact everyone knew what had happened. As revealed Reginaldo Leme, Felipe Massa tried Briatore before going home for the weekend, with finger-wagging, accusing him: "this is not done. If no one ran after evidence at the time, was because there was interest in overthrowing Briatore.

And now Nelson denounced and provided evidence that it was because there was such interest. The Brazilian certainly did not act alone, a denunciation of this size only by a resignation and a fight with his manager does not make sense.

If Nelson was innocent or not, whether burned or not, we sense the coming months. If you can save your career in Formula 1 and sign with another team, we can conclude that succeeded in his revenge. But if you lost reputation, you can understand that was used for the vengeance of someone greater.

The name of this one? Hard to say categorically, but it is undeniable feeling that all this is related to the disclosure of a certain erotic video by a British tabloid. Remember that Ron Dennis, the disaffected FIA president was compelled to withdraw from Formula 1. Coincidence or not, the same happens now with Flavio Briatore.

Max Mosley does not point without node. He leaves, but will take the enemy with.

#41 JensonF1

JensonF1

• 586 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 15:49

You only enter a deal when you have something to gain, or a damage to minimize. So what does Piquet gain?

Piquet's problem before crashgate was that he was out of a drive and had a reputation for being a crasher and slow. With crashgate, he has augmented that reputation with being participant to cheating, weakness and vindictiveness. Hardly an improvement. Oh yes, now he suddenly has a conscience, but he's still out of a seat. Or is he?

Mosley got Flavio, Piquet gets a seat with a pro-Mosley team.

I think Piquet deserves another chance, now everyone can see what rubbish he had to put up with at Renault.

With so many new teams on the grid next year and BMW saved, I think theres a high chance he'll be driving.

But the racing in Race Driver: GRID is a lot better than in F1 so all is not lost. If he really has to sit in his playseat with Logitech G25 in 2010 like me, I'll see him online :)

#42 Hole

Hole

• 2,232 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 15:51

Posted Image

#43 Jose Mourinho is Special

Jose Mourinho is Special

• 368 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 15:53

He'll be in F1 again, he was unfairly treated by his own team boss and the media.

Give him a decent car and team support/encouragement and im sure he can deliver the goods. Take a look at his results in lower racing series/F3/GP2. His done good.

#44 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 1,350 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 15:56

Here is the Google translation:

On the treadmill of destruction of reputation of Formula 1, two names came today to the role of ejected: Flavio Briatore and Pat Symonds. Accused by Nelsinho Piquet of masterminding a Machiavellian plan to force a safety car in Singapore Grand Prix last year, were dismissed today by Renault. What seems an act of revenge was consummated. But the question remains: who's revenge?

That Piquet - father and son - were eager to see the back Briatore, no doubt. But however that the information they had on hand were bombastic, the boss of Renault would not be overturned if there was interest in his fall from other bosses.

After all, the scandal of Singapore can not be seen as a big surprise. Jokingly, the suspect ran through the paddock as long. It sounded like folklore, there was no evidence, but in fact everyone knew what had happened. As revealed Reginaldo Leme, Felipe Massa tried Briatore before going home for the weekend, with finger-wagging, accusing him: "this is not done. If no one ran after evidence at the time, was because there was interest in overthrowing Briatore.

And now Nelson denounced and provided evidence that it was because there was such interest. The Brazilian certainly did not act alone, a denunciation of this size only by a resignation and a fight with his manager does not make sense.

If Nelson was innocent or not, whether burned or not, we sense the coming months. If you can save your career in Formula 1 and sign with another team, we can conclude that succeeded in his revenge. But if you lost reputation, you can understand that was used for the vengeance of someone greater.

The name of this one? Hard to say categorically, but it is undeniable feeling that all this is related to the disclosure of a certain erotic video by a British tabloid. Remember that Ron Dennis, the disaffected FIA president was compelled to withdraw from Formula 1. Coincidence or not, the same happens now with Flavio Briatore.

Max Mosley does not point without node. He leaves, but will take the enemy with.

Thanks.

#45 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 3,272 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 15:59

I'm sure his manager will make sure he gets a drive, after all, he is entitled to 20% for the next 15 years.

#46 Hole

Hole

• 2,232 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 16:00

He'll be in F1 again, he was unfairly treated by his own team boss and the media.

Give him a decent car and team support/encouragement and im sure he can deliver the goods. Take a look at his results in lower racing series/F3/GP2. His done good.

Bringing what they've done in lower series is irrelevant. Everybody in the current grid have achieved nice things in the past. That does not necesarily means they have to perform in F1 too.

#47 ex Rhodie racer 2

ex Rhodie racer 2

• 1,140 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 19:04

Bringing what they've done in lower series is irrelevant. Everybody in the current grid have achieved nice things in the past. That does not necesarily means they have to perform in F1 too.

Oh please. What´s the sense in chosing young talent from the lesser formulas if it means nothing? Would you rather pick them from the taxi rank?.

#48 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja

• 1,370 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 19:09

Hi Nelson :wave:

#49 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 4,925 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 19:15

Well, it's no guarantee....but it's a pretty handy guide.

#50 smartie_f1

smartie_f1

• 296 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 19:30

I'm sure his manager will make sure he gets a drive, after all, he is entitled to 20% for the next 15 years.

Who is his manager now - I thought it was Flav before but I guess that arrangement has come to an end.

Not sure any of the management companies would want him - they're not likely to make money out of him now.