Photo

Joe Craig

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:19

Through my Find-a-Grave entry for Norton Development Engineer Joe Craig, I've been contacted by Bryan Craig, his Great Nephew, who lives in Australia. He's asked me if I have any more information about his Great Uncle, about the motorcycle/engines he developed and whether or not he had any children. Can anyone tell us more about him, please?

http://www.findagrav...p...d=17983892

Advertisement

#2 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:44

Through my Find-a-Grave entry for Norton Development Engineer Joe Craig, I've been contacted by Bryan Craig, his Great Nephew, who lives in Australia. He's asked me if I have any more information about his Great Uncle, about the motorcycle/engines he developed and whether or not he had any children. Can anyone tell us more about him, please?

http://www.findagrav...p...d=17983892

Hi Paul, I think there are 2 typos in the findagrave article IMHO

1) Joe Craig left Norton in 55, not 65
2) The place where the accident happened is probably St. Anton, not St. Ankton, although according to Mick Walker's Manx book, it was in Landeck

Edit: Just noticed that "St. Ankton" is written on the tombstone, nevertheless I doubt that there is a place in Austria named accordingly...

Edited by Rennmax, 21 September 2009 - 09:37.

#3 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:59

Hi Paul, I think there are 2 typos in the findagrave article IMHO

1) Joe Craig left Norton in 55, not 65
2) The place where the accident happened is probably St. Anton, not St. Ankton, although according to Mick Walker's Manx book, it was in Landeck

Edit: Just noticed that "St. Ankton" is written on the tombstone, nevertheless I doubt that there is a place in Austria named accordingly...

Thank you, I have altered the bio. Landeck is the nearest large town to Sankt Anton am Arlsberg, which I presume is the correct location. As Joe Craig was buried in Holland, perhaps Ankton is the Dutch version of Anton (or Anthony)?

#4 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 13:44

In this context I wonder if anyone knows or has read something about the relationship between Joe Craig and Walter Moore ? Was Moore sacked or just lured away by a very attractive NSU offer ? What did he do after he returned to the UK shortly before WWII began ?