Denia 2009

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 12:03

Ayup all :wave:
Anyone going to the Denia (Alicante Spain) Classic revival,the weekend of the 3rd of October?Its a rare (very) oportunity to see the Santiago Herrero Ossa 250 monocoque,and meet the genius engineer that designed it,Eduardo Giro.Should be lots of tasty stuff there.Already penned in are Pasolini/Saarinen Benellis,and a V4 Moto GP Ducati 990.Ago and Luigi Taveri have appeared from time to time.Anyone up for it?Yes I know its a bit further than Brands!If you make it,look for the poor soul with the rotary bike,and out of pity,buy him(me) a beer. :D :clap:
HW
Posted Image
photo from South Bay Riders website
Posted Image

Edited by Herr Wankel, 24 September 2009 - 20:05.

Advertisement

#2 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 16:01

Posted Image

Posted Image
All ready for the weekend.No doubt Tom will have some scathing remarks to add about the starting procedure.
HW

#3 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 16:28

I wish I could!.but....... :well: Lovely bike HW. :up:

#4 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 18:14

I wish I could!.but....... :well: Lovely bike HW. :up:

Thanks Graham,but as its half the capacity of a Rotary Norton,its only half the speed,and so is the rider. :rotfl: :rotfl:
HW

#5 SeaDoubleYou

SeaDoubleYou

• 110 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 07:56

My parents, who are currently enjoying an extended break in Spain are planning to get along to watch..... Wish i was! :rolleyes:

#6 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:21

Thanks Graham,but as its half the capacity of a Rotary Norton,its only half the speed,and so is the rider. :rotfl: :rotfl:
HW

:lol: :lol: it all becomes clear now ...thats the bike in your avitar. :up:

#7 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 13:17

:lol: :lol: it all becomes clear now ...thats the bike in your avitar. :up:

And what a great looking bike to eh Graham? I have only ever seen a road version and it didn't look half as nice as this one. :love:

Nice one HW

David

#8 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 14:47

And what a great looking bike to eh Graham? I have only ever seen a road version and it didn't look half as nice as this one. :love:

Nice one HW

David

:wave: Thanks guys,but notice I didn't get too close for the shot!! No doubt Tom (Motard) will divulge the secrets of starting it up. :blush:

#9 Ray Oldam

Ray Oldam

• 168 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 17:09

Herr,

Hope you are well. Sorry I can't get along but I'm sure it will be a really good meeting. I can remember Herrero on that Ossa back in the Island - '68 it was I think.

The bike looks great by the way! It reminds me of the Aermacchi Metisse - very similar frame.

All the best.

Ray

#10 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 20:48

Herr,

Hope you are well. Sorry I can't get along but I'm sure it will be a really good meeting. I can remember Herrero on that Ossa back in the Island - '68 it was I think.

The bike looks great by the way! It reminds me of the Aermacchi Metisse - very similar frame.

All the best.

Ray

Thanks Ray,Just got back.Heres the first instalment,hope the upload works.This was a real lump in the throat moment.Santi's OSSA.Just click on the pic,and make sure the sound is on!
HW
Posted Image

Edited by Herr Wankel, 05 October 2009 - 20:50.

#11 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 20:51

Thanks Ray,Just got back.Heres the first instalment,hope the upload works.This was a real lump in the throat moment.Santi's OSSA.Just click on the pic,and make sure the sound is on!
HW
Posted Image

I can see & hear why! :(

#12 Ray Oldam

Ray Oldam

• 168 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 22:10

Herr,

Thanks - what a lovely little bike!!! Nothing sounds like open exhausts around buildings and trees!! Do they run the Denia meeting on an old road circuit? I remember there were always a series of early season road races in Spain, Alicante was one, but not sure where the others were now. Fantastic little machine, and a real departure from standard design of the era. It makes you wonder whether Greeves could have attempted something similar.

I can remember the last time I saw it - 1970 I think. My brother and I were watching at Signpost Corner, and there were problems around the circuit with melting tar - it was happening at Signpost too. I think Herrero hit some of it near the 13th milestone, and struck Stan Woods who was touring. Herrero was a real hero in Spain, and I think Ossa withdrew from racing afterwards. Thankfully, the surface is much better these days.

How did your weekend go? Look forward to the other pics!!

All the best.

Ray

#13 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 22:10

HW
Posted Image

YO!!! :up:

Top of the class for catching that one Herr!! :wave:

Edited by exclubracer, 05 October 2009 - 22:11.

#14 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 22:15

YO!!! :up:

Top of the class for catching that one Herr!! :wave:

Awesome :up: :love:

#15 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:56

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Hi Guys,
Glad you liked the pics and vid,more here.

It was a great meeting,very relaxed and friendly.To see (and touch) that magnificent OSSA was so enjoyable,as was meeting Senor Giro,the designer (who,I was told 'looked at' the motor on the Sito pons JJ Kobas.)
The circuit was a bit twitchy and being in a (very) well used part of the town very very slippery.After being sideways twice on the 1st lap,I decided on discretion.Funny,but the Bultaco/OSSA/Montesa mounted locals didn't seem to notice the surface.Thats the difference between real racers and old farts I suppose.
Yes Ray,they used to have have 'proper' racing in many of these spanish coastal towns in the days gone by,but safety/legislation issues rule now.The enthusiasm is undiminished though.I hope to return next year.(if they will let me)
The rider on Santi's bike is Cesar Gracia,who was a good friend of Santiago's and worked with him at the Lube factory.Just before he went out the brother of Santi gave him one of our heroes helmets to put on.A touching moment indeed.Am downloading another vid to put up later.
All for now HW

#16 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:20

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Hi Guys,
Glad you liked the pics and vid,more here.

It was a great meeting,very relaxed and friendly.To see (and touch) that magnificent OSSA was so enjoyable,as was meeting Senor Giro,the designer (who,I was told 'looked at' the motor on the Sito pons JJ Kobas.)
The circuit was a bit twitchy and being in a (very) well used part of the town very very slippery.After being sideways twice on the 1st lap,I decided on discretion.Funny,but the Bultaco/OSSA/Montesa mounted locals didn't seem to notice the surface.Thats the difference between real racers and old farts I suppose.
Yes Ray,they used to have have 'proper' racing in many of these spanish coastal towns in the days gone by,but safety/legislation issues rule now.The enthusiasm is undiminished though.I hope to return next year.(if they will let me)
The rider on Santi's bike is Cesar Gracia,who was a good friend of Santiago's and worked with him at the Lube factory.Just before he went out the brother of Santi gave him one of our heroes helmets to put on.A touching moment indeed.Am downloading another vid to put up later.
All for now HW

Great stuff Herr! :wave:

Love the sound of the short, fat, scrambler type pipe, much deeper sound. Quite musical really isn't it? What with the walls and all :clap: Bet you had a great time I'm very jealous :) I suppose the passing of Santiago changed TT history from what I can gather?

David

David

#17 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:24

Posted Image

#18 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:31

Yes, good on yer Herr, hope you enjoyed yourself. Luverly pics too :up: