Photo

Henry N Manney III

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 00:30

Henry N Manney III took delivery of a new XK120 in march 1950 probably in Los Angeles.
Does anyone know if he has any family around who can be contacted as I would like to get a photograph of him and the car.
Presumably he must have had an reasonably extensive archive that must have survived?
any clues
terry

Advertisement

#2 burt estep

burt estep

• 8 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 02:22

try road & track magazine. burt.

#3 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 02:28

I have all the R&T magazines up to 1990 or so and don't recall a pic of Manney and XK120
regards

try road & track magazine. burt.

#4 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 09:39

Terry - contact R&T to be put in contact with Henry's widow - I think she is still with us - and their son.

DCN

#5 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 09:57

You could also try a PM to Graham Gauld via the forum, as he was a great friend of Henry's and might have more knowledge or direct personal contact with the family. I could PM you with Graham's e-mail address if required?

#6 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:28

You could also try a PM to Graham Gauld via the forum, as he was a great friend of Henry's and might have more knowledge or direct personal contact with the family. I could PM you with Graham's e-mail address if required?

Sorry Doug, sadly Annie died a few years ago and I was in touch with Henry IV but I have mislaid his e mail address for the moment. I will go through some old stuff and see if I can find it again : don't change your computers !!!

#7 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 15:56

Thanks for the various tips and I am sure all will go well
regards

#8 Phil Anderson

Phil Anderson

• 2 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:27

I would like to contact Henry Manney's heirs to see if there is any interest in making available, in a public forum, what must be an extensive archive of photographs he was known to have taken over the years. If anyone has made contact, can you forward this post to them?

Edited by Phil Anderson, 12 November 2009 - 02:28.

#9 West3

West3

• 146 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 18:12

I have forwarded this topic to Annie's sister, Janie, who lives in the Fresno CA area. I understand that she does not possess any of Henry's archives but hopefully she can contact Henry's heirs or others who might be willing to share some of Yr Fthfl Svnt's lost treasures.

Here's hoping that she might be agreeable to sharing some of her favorite Manney stories with us!

#10 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 18:28

I have forwarded this topic to Annie's sister, Janie, who lives in the Fresno CA area. I understand that she does not possess any of Henry's archives but hopefully she can contact Henry's heirs or others who might be willing to share some of Yr Fthfl Svnt's lost treasures.

Here's hoping that she might be agreeable to sharing some of her favorite Manney stories with us!

I am in occasional contact with Henry IV and he holds all of Henry's negatives but has not made any plans to publish them or otherwise have them used in books. As for stories, Road and Track produced a soft cover book with many of Henry's stories. I chased two Monte Carlo Rallies and a Swedish Rally with Henry and attended a number of race meetings with him and the stories never stopped. I published some of my own experiences with Henry in my book " Ferrari- Gauld Mine" (SMRH.Co.UK). Doug Blain, probably the Key editor of Car magazine and now publisher of The Automobile should be persuaded to write his stories of Henry as Henry was a regular contributor to the magazine

#11 PManney

PManney

• 2 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 02:09

I am Henry Manney's number 2 son, and ended up with all family photos. I am slowly getting around to scanning and posting these on Flickr. While I do not remember seeing these, I still have several boxes to process. If a copy exists, I should have it.

(I recently ran across a few of him in his Crosley Hotshot at a dirt track, I'm guessing in the very early '50s.) I'll see if I can get these uploaded soon.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions at PManney@insight.rr.com.

Yr fthfl svt's son,

P Manney

#12 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 03:16

Welcome to TNF! I only met your father a couple of times-at the Monterey Historics-but I read most of what he wrote and always enjoyed it. I look fwd to seeing the photos as you post them.

#13 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 17:14

Perhaps now is the time to ask a question regarding your father?
Not long before his tragic stroke I was standing with him in the racing pits at Laguna Seca watching a race. During a lull I asked him something about Road & Track magazine-I forget what-his response startled me at the time and has surprised others when I have mentioned it on this forum.
He said vehemently " Road & Track is a know-nothing magazine with a know-nothing editor and a know-nothing staff!".
Did he ever make such a statement to members of your family and do you know why he felt this way?
Hopefully this isn't prying into personal stuff.

Edited by David Birchall, 20 November 2009 - 16:11.

#14 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 17:19

He said vehemently " Road & Track is a no-nothing magazine with a no-nothing editor and a no-nothing staff!".

Believe that you mean "know-nothing", David. But the point certainly has been proved to be valid in the years since Henry left. R&T has become just another version of Motor Trend and has long since lost any claim to its once proud sub head, The Motor Enthusiasts' Magazine.
Tom

#15 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 18:32

:eek: :blush:

#16 PManney

PManney

• 2 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 13:40

Perhaps now is the time to ask a question regarding your father?
Not long before his tragic stroke I was standing with him in the racing pits at Laguna Seca watching a race. During a lull I asked him something about Road & Track magazine-I forget what-his response startled me at the time and has surprised others when I have mentioned it on this forum.
He said vehemently " Road & Track is a no-nothing magazine with a no-nothing editor and a no-nothing staff!".
Did he ever make such a statement to members of your family and do you know why he felt this way?
Hopefully this isn't prying into personal stuff.

He never made such a remark to me. However, I left California in the mid-70s-- my brother and sister were physically closer than I, and might have heard him say something to that effect. He tended toward more misanthropy toward the end of his life, though: his expressing that sentiment would not surprise me. I'll ask the siblings.

P Manney

#17 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,465 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 16:59

Welcome to the forum. Your father's writing was a big influence on me. For a short time Road & Track had assembled perhaps the finest team of writers, photographers and illustrators in the history of automotive publishing. I certainly miss it, and it will probably never be repeated.

I look forward to you contributions to the forum.

Jack

Edited by Jack-the-Lad, 20 November 2009 - 17:00.

#18 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:45

I just recalled another couple of 'Manneyisms":

The illustration is of the rear end of a Fazzaz 250LM or similar with the huge engine cover raised, and the comment from Manney is: "Like an unobstructed view of Ann Corrio's bum..."

I also loved his description of early Fazzaz cars when they were champing at the bit, ready to go: They were "Just a'whoopin' and a'hollerin'" . So descriptive. (In both cases).

#19 West3

West3

• 146 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:23

Although I had a vague sense of intruding, anyone with the time and interest to go on a treasure hunt will be well rewarded here:

Manney family photo album

Thanks to Patrick for allowing us a few candid and intimate glimpses into Henry's world.

-Will

I am Henry Manney's number 2 son, and ended up with all family photos. I am slowly getting around to scanning and posting these on Flickr. While I do not remember seeing these, I still have several boxes to process. If a copy exists, I should have it.

(I recently ran across a few of him in his Crosley Hotshot at a dirt track, I'm guessing in the very early '50s.) I'll see if I can get these uploaded soon.

Yr fthfl svt's son,

P Manney

Advertisement

#20 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:22

No sign of the GTO

#21 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,800 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 14:13

Although I had a vague sense of intruding, anyone with the time and interest to go on a treasure hunt will be well rewarded here:

Manney family photo album

Thanks to Patrick for allowing us a few candid and intimate glimpses into Henry's world.

-Will

Thanks to Will for the link and Patrick for the hard work - so good to see one of my all-time heroes 'in his natrural habitat'!

#22 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 16:29

Thank you for the memories of Henri B. Gentihomme.

Edited by Sharman, 09 November 2011 - 16:29.

#23 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,170 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 03:20

Dennis Simanaitis, former technical editor of Road & Track, just wrote an article for his blog about HNM; see www.simanaitissays.com.

Frank

#24 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,465 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 03:37

No sign of the GTO

Or the Cobra. But a very nice collection of family photos nonetheless......

#25 AAGR

AAGR

• 397 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 09:28

Many years ago Henry told me that, at a time when they were worth very little at the beginning of the 1970s, he had bought not one but two Ferrari 250GTOs. Since he did not have a garage at the time, they were both parked, day in and day out, in the street outside his apartment in Paris ?

True story, or romantic memory ?

#26 Tom Glowacki

Tom Glowacki

• 522 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 15:12

Nice tribute to Yr fthfl svt in the January issue of Octane, by Dale Drinnon.

When R& T came in the mail, I always read Manney first, then, after HM left the scene, I always read Peter Egan first, now I just browse the Table of Contents at the supermarket/

#27 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 17:55

I met him at The Glen in the '60s. Dad introduced me to him. I told him that I wanted to be a writer just like him, he smiled and said "Just work at it". Never became a writer, but always looked forward to his GP race reports and Geoff Goddard's photos in R&T.

#28 63Corvette

63Corvette

• 358 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 18:49

Yr fthfl svt's son,

P Manney

Welcome to the Nostalgia Forum. Thank you for your participation and pictures, and please continue to grace our Forum with future input on Cars and your Father's perspective on them :clap:

#29 screensmoke

screensmoke

• 13 posts

Posted 21 February 2023 - 12:43

Hi All, 

Getting back to this old post... has anyone been able to be in contact with Patrick Manney ? the email is no longer valid

Thanks

#30 rl1856

rl1856

• 358 posts

Posted 09 February 2024 - 13:27

Bumping a dormant thread.

Does anyone know if progress has been made in locating and publishing HNM III's photo archives ?

I would like to contact Henry Manney's heirs to see if there is any interest in making available, in a public forum, what must be an extensive archive of photographs he was known to have taken over the years. If anyone has made contact, can you forward this post to them?

#31 DCapps

DCapps

• 870 posts

Posted 09 February 2024 - 14:03

Goodness, it is a shock to realize that I dropped by to see HNMIII at the house in the photos about a half century ago! 

I remember those few occasions being a tad unreal now since it was a pretty daring thing to do in some ways.

I know that I wrote him that I would be "in the neighborhood" or something like that beforehand, but still...

You have to keep in mind that there not all that many  from the Western Shores of the Atlantic at those races in the Old Country back then...

I was with a friend from the LA area and we did not stay long either time, of course.

At least one of the visits was bit surreal when I mentioned something about a race and he looked at me, saying something along the lines of how did I know that? 

I think my response was something along the lines of, Well, that's what you wrote...

Interesting coincidence that this popped up, since I was looking at some of his race reports in MotoRacing and R&T the past few weeks...

Edited by DCapps, 09 February 2024 - 14:05.

#32 screensmoke

screensmoke

• 13 posts

Posted 09 February 2024 - 16:32

Bumping a dormant thread.

Does anyone know if progress has been made in locating and publishing HNM III's photo archives ?

I recently tried to reach Patrick Gregory Manney, but the email I had is no longer valid