Photo

Jim Kelly

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,584 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:24

I regret to advise that Jim Kelly, ARDS instructor & former racing driver, passed away last Tuesday. He had been battling leukaemia for some considerable time.
In his day, Jim had been a very successful competitor, racing in FF1600 as well as a variety of Formula Libre cars at all the main UK circuits and had also instructed for Richard Peacock and later Malcolm Barfoot at Aintree, before Aintree Racing Drivers School moved to Three Sisters in the 1980’s.

Advertisement

#2 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:31

I regret to advise that Jim Kelly, ARDS instructor & former racing driver, passed away last Tuesday. He had been battling leukaemia for some considerable time.
In his day, Jim had been a very successful competitor, racing in FF1600 as well as a variety of Formula Libre cars at all the main UK circuits and had also instructed for Richard Peacock and later Malcolm Barfoot at Aintree, before Aintree Racing Drivers School moved to Three Sisters in the 1980’s.

Sad news.

Jim was part of the 80's Formula E gang and he always seemed to have a grin on his face no matter what.

The first time I ever drove my FFord at Oulton I accidently pushed him on the grass at Druids. I felt so guilty I went and apologised afterwards and expected a rollicking but was greeted with a smile and a bit of advice of how to take the corner in the future.

A genuine, nice guy.

#3 Ian Smith - Diz

Ian Smith - Diz

• 425 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:51

"Panther" will be sadly missed. RIP Jim.

The funeral is mid day this Friday at Our Lady of Compassion in Formby, near Southport.

#4 Greg Baker

Greg Baker

• 14 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 14:20

It is with great sadness that i hear about the passing away of Jim (panther) last week, having been part of the formula e crowed during the 80's i was privileged to have shared many a laugh and many of beer's with panther and he will be trully missed. He was a great racer and one of the nicest blokes that you could wish to meet some one who would allways have a story to tell and a joke to share normaly ending up with the line "it's the way i tell them".
Iam unable to attend the funeral this Friday as i would have liked to have payed my respects but iam sure that those of you who attend will have many of story's to tell, and iam sure that the incedent with the XR3 door and a transit van after we all left the red lion will come up !!!!

If you formula e guys can say bye for me and raise a glass to Jim that would be great and much appreciated.

Hears to you panther.