Photo

another former F1 driver looking @ NASCAR

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 WildmouseX

WildmouseX

• 2,654 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 17:34

found this today on jayski, we got some love for Salo in this place?

Former F1 driver, Miko Salo, supposedly will test for Michael Waltrip Racing in one of the team's Toyota Camry Sprint Cup cars at an undisclosed venue at some point in November. The 42-year-old former grand prix driver has been racing in sportscars since the end of his Formula 1 career in 2002 and won the GT2 class of the American Le Mans Series in 2007. He has had a seat fitting with Michael Waltrip Racing. "It will be great to get to test a NASCAR at last," Salo told this week's AUTOSPORT magazine. "After two years of trying, I finally met the person who could make it happen. Racing sportscars in the US has definitely helped. My hope next year is that I can do some races in Nationwide, maybe even a full season - but I understand that I may have to raise some money to make it happen."(

Advertisement

#2 Guest_4L3X_*

Guest_4L3X_*

Posted 02 October 2009 - 17:50

Wow, I would love to see him there!! But what are the chances, where's the sponsors for a Finn?? No Nationwide apprenticeship also?

#3 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 17:54

a Finn in NASCAR.. - that would be something else.

#4 fastlegs

fastlegs

• 1,984 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 17:58

Maybe Kimi will follow him. :)

#5 Cheap Wine Alesi

Cheap Wine Alesi

• 2,723 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 18:13

Funny how it is always the failures of F1 who want to get to NASCAR

#6 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 18:25

He's gonna have to gain 20 kg..bring on the pit BBQ and Prilosec!

#7 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 18:25

If Mika makes it happen, there will be one very pissed off Canadian...

#8 loki

loki

• 12,250 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 20:20

The only way Salo will get a ride is the same way JV would get a ride. To buy it.

#9 OSX

OSX

• 4,877 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 20:34

Salo and Villeneuve are good pals so I don't think he'll be that pissed. Salo clearly hasn't lost his urge to race as the Le Mans success proves. Hope he finds the backing for his NASCAR venture.

#10 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 22:27

Why is Salo getting a test and not JVi??? :confused:

JVi is much more established, and has a real racers attitude as he drives cars all over the place in various series, just as a true racer would do. :up:

If MWR would just put JVi into the Aaron's or NAPA Nationwide car for 3-5 races on low salary.... that could be a good evaluation run for both, or do only American young guns get such opportunities and not washed-up F1 drivers. :confused:

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 02 October 2009 - 22:29.

#11 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 23:16

Hey there's a possible upside to this. If Salo can bring a big-name sponsor that's (also?) big in Europe, NASCAR might get better coverage across the pond.

Better European coverage of NASCAR would be a big plus, IMHO.

#12 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 23:17

BTW, how many people here thought this thread was going to be about Nelsinho Piquet?

#13 schuey100

schuey100

• 655 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 23:32

Better European coverage of NASCAR would be a big plus, IMHO.

Really? I'd rather see teletubbies in go carts. Then again, there's probably not much difference apart from the teles might be a little fitter and younger. Seriously, is anyone interested in watching people that failed in one series fighting each other in what is, essentially, dumbed down dodgems?

#14 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 23:52

Really? I'd rather see teletubbies in go carts. Then again, there's probably not much difference apart from the teles might be a little fitter and younger. Seriously, is anyone interested in watching people that failed in one series fighting each other in what is, essentially, dumbed down dodgems?

Don't know where to begin with this... :down:
If you hate it so much, why bother spewing any of your crap in the thread at all. Grow up...

#15 WildmouseX

WildmouseX

• 2,654 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:18

i would suspect all their fans who want to see them show off their racing abilities in a series where the driver makes the difference for a win - instead of a series where the car's, who arn't Ferrari and Mclaren, are so technologically capped due politics off the track that they arn't competitive on it. but that would just be a guess on my part, and i'm not a marketing professional so it's an amateur guess at best.

#16 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:41

Actually this is a thread about NASCAR, not DTM or some sort of European Touring car series...

#17 WildmouseX

WildmouseX

• 2,654 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:51

BTW, how many people here thought this thread was going to be about Nelsinho Piquet?

well think it no more; today - - on jayski......

Nelson Piquet Jr., who became the source of a recent scandal known as 'crash-gate', will be testing in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series with an eye towards a future in NASCAR's Sprint Cup Series with in two years. Piquet Jr., will get behind the wheel of a Toyota Tundra for Red Horse Racing on October 12th [at Rockingham, NC]. He is expected in the team's Mooresville, NC shop Monday for a seat fitting. The Renault F1 team fired the 23-year-old Brazilian earlier this season for underperformance. Shortly after details emerged that Piquet had been ordered to cause a crash in the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix that allowed his teammate Fernando Alonso to win. After an investigation and hearing, Formula One's governing body, the FIA, held a hearing and banned Renault F1's team boss Flavio Briatore for life and the team's technical engineer Pat Symonds for five years. They also placed the team on a 'suspended ban' for two years. Piquet Jr., was given immunity from sanctions in exchange for his testimony and many in Formula One now consider the son of two time Formula One world champion Nelson Piquet to be 'damaged goods'.(SPEEDtv)(10-4-2009)

and check the update....

UPDATE: Brazilian natives, Nelson Piquet, Jr. and Vitor Meira will test a NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Toyota Tundra at Little Rock for Red Horse Racing. The one day test scheduled for Monday, October 12th, will be the first time behind the wheel of a stock car for Formula 1 driver, Nelson Piquet, and IndyCar Series driver, Vitor Meira. Red Horse Racing will field two Toyota Tundras (both displaying #1) for Piquet and Meira to test on the short track at Rockingham Speedway. Red Horse Drivers Timothy Peters and TJ Bell will also be on hand to help the open wheel drivers acclimate to their first stock car test. Both Piquet and Meira plan to use this test with Red Horse Racing to evaluate a future career among the NASCAR ranks. Both extremely successful in their respective series, Piquet and Meira look forward to a new challenge. Pacific Mobile will be a sponsor of the test as they are also evaluating NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Racing. "We look forward to helping Vitor Meira and Nelson Piquet make the transition into NASCAR," said Red Horse Racing Owner, Tom DeLoach. "It's not an easy thing to do to go from an open wheel background to racing stock cars but they are both immensely talented and have the ability to be successful in any series they chose to race in".

Edited by WildmouseX, 06 October 2009 - 05:55.

#18 Simon Says

Simon Says

• 2,163 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 06:00

Funny how it is always the failures of F1 who want to get to NASCAR

Mika Salo a faillure? In a top car he can win races like he demonstrated at the German GP but because of team order he let Irvine threw to take the win when he replaced MS at Ferrari.

Edited by Simon Says, 06 October 2009 - 06:00.

#19 imthebest

imthebest

• 106 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 07:21

Actually this is a thread about NASCAR, not DTM or some sort of European Touring car series...

DTM, Euro TC's are still more credible than NASCAR

Advertisement

#20 stevewf1

stevewf1

• 3,259 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:10

Good luck to Salo and Piquet Jr... NASCAR is harder than people think.

#21 WildmouseX

WildmouseX

• 2,654 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 18:31

i think Vitor Meira is the big winner here if he can make the change, been stuck in a third rate team in that series far too long.