Photo

Firestone Indy roadster tires

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mac miller

mac miller

• 43 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 16:03

Today, the race tire companies have specialized compounds and constructions for each track where they race.

I'm wondering if this was the case with Firestone back in the late50s/early60s Indy roadster tires.
I know they tested at Indy but I don't know how much they tested anywhere else. Were the Indy tires the same tire they used everywhere???
I know that Firestone made, tested and used a special tire for the high bank Monza Italy race in '57/'58 and tested at Daytona, in preparation for the 1959 Daytona Indy car race, I wonder if they used a version of the "Monza" tire at Daytona.
I wonder how many variations of the "IMS" tire and the "Monza" tire, Firestone
actually made for the INDY roadsters...????

mac miller in INDY

indyroadsters.webs.com/

Edited by mac miller, 05 October 2009 - 16:07.

Advertisement

#2 WDH74

WDH74

• 1,162 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 17:25

I've never read that Firestone (or any of the tire companies) did a separate compound for each track. I can imagine a special tire for something like Monzanapolis, but not for each track on the Champ Car circuit in the 50's. It would be an enormous number of tires, and probably beyond the logistics of the time.

I wonder if there was a specific compound that would get bought by hot rodders for lakes racing, or was it the generic tire?

-William