Photo

Kubica to Renault

• Please log in to reply
324 replies to this topic

#51 OSX

OSX

• 4,192 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:03

Hehe, Howett chained himself to Kubica's leg in greenpeace style and refuses food & water ...

:lol:

Advertisement

#52 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:07

It is a sideways move. Clearly, top drives were not availble to R Kube else he would have signed those. But a sideways move is not bad since so much depends on car competetiveness anyway. Fernando has got little reward for his efforts in the slow Renault this year.

#53 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,516 posts

In my mind the biggest plus for Renault over Toyota is that Renault know how to win.

Indeed.

My biggest concern is that their technical team doesn't seem very strong at the moment.

#54 Psymon

Psymon

• 725 posts

Renault showed up in Japan with MegaFon logos on their nose cone; they were only small, but they were the first people to join the team after ING abandoned ship. They may just be getting their foot in the door, presenting Petrov as a fresh face and offering money to Renault. Pay drivers don't really have the stigma that they once did, and some of the best drivers have paid for their seat - I believe Schumacher bought his Jordan ride, and Petrov isn't exactly lacking in talent; of all the GP2 drivers who have been in the series for more than one season, none have gone from the back of the grid to the front quicker than Petrov, and he was beating Grosjean when Piquet was dropped. If the stars align this particular way, we could get a MegaFon Renault team in 2010. I'd like that.

Megafon have been with the Renault team from Turkey this year onwards...

http://www.renaultf1...muniques/22103/

Their decal has just moved to a much more prominent position on the car - replacing the Pepe Jeans logo which has moved to replace Mutua Madrilena's logo. I don't think you can necessarily read anything too much into it.

The old position wasn't easy to see in photos I must say... you can see where it was in this crop of a pic I took at Monza...

Posted Image

Anyway, back on topic, it'd certainly be interesting to know what the reason behind the delay is if the announcement has been pushed back... though I imagine we'll probs never know!

#55 Ringo

Ringo

• 201 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:26

I wouldn't be at all surprised if a rather large offer from Toyota landed on Kubica's table this morning, shortly before he was due to ink the inal deal at Renault...

#56 Flexa

Flexa

• 403 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:32

During the race, this Sunday, Globo broadcaster stated danielli morelli authorized him to say the contract was done and Robert is going to be Renault pilot next year.

Edited by Flexa, 06 October 2009 - 10:33.

#57 santori

santori

• 3,913 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:52

I think it's a good move by Kubica given the open possibilites right now. Renault at the moment seem more committed than Toyota, since the rumour around is that they agreed with the FIA to commit themselves for a couple years in order not to get a big fine. The exit of Briatore, Symmonds and ING, while in theory a bad thing, could end up making them stronger - it's a psychological new start for them, the end of a rather poor era. Kubica is the best guy they could get to replace Fred, as he's so similar in terms of both personality and driving style. He's a leader.

And the scandal could convince Renault the car maker that the team needs more support, so that when they do pull out, people's last important memories of Renault aren't connected with the crash.

#58 Alonzo

Alonzo

• 658 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 17:29

It was because Kubi put Vettel on the grass and kerb then claimed the apex. Surprise surprise, Vettel couldn't stop the car. 50/50 at the very best.

You are entirely wrong.

In my mind the biggest plus for Renault over Toyota is that Renault know how to win.

yeah, but Flavio and Pat are no longer there to use their efficient methods :rolleyes:

If you said it seriously, since 2006 Renault doesn't make a competitive car and considering how much better the aero of Toyota is compared to Renault's, I think would have a better car next year in Toyota.

#59 metz

metz

• 9,707 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 17:38

Needless to say Kubica has again beaten Heidfeld in qualis this year.

:rolleyes: 8 to 7

try: podiums, finishing positions, points, faster laps.

Advertisement

#60 ex Rhodie racer 2

ex Rhodie racer 2

• 1,140 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 17:44

Bad move by both parties. You could almost say they deserve each other.

#61 Lukin83

Lukin83

• 753 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 17:45

-Do you guys heard on last races on any updates in this year Renault car? I can't remember anything like that, maybe they work on the 2010 longer than we think (something like Ferrari, but without announce that)

At the beginning of the season, during the diffusers argument, it had been said that a full implementation of a DDD requires a new gearbox and that it will take a few months for non-diffusers team to introduce these new gearboxes. Already then it had been said that BMW will have a new gearbox in the late of the season, after the summer break, and that Renault will not have one because they have no enough money. Good news: Kubica is cheaper than Alonso ;)

There was talk of him wanting a 1 year contract.. I wonder if this will be the case.. Doubt he can dictate who has the other seat if he is only there 1 year.

I doubt it. In almost every interview he was saying he would prefer long term deal and peaceful future.

#62 supasd

supasd

• 35 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 17:54

would be better, than being unemployed.
Kubicas performance was average this year (like his trend in the past season) and teams became less interested in him.

#63 barteks

barteks

• 2,329 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 19:00

:rolleyes: 8 to 7

try: podiums, finishing positions, points, faster laps.

Actually in quali it's 9:6 for Kubica this year.

Finishing position (when both finished) - 5:5

Faster laps: useless piece of stat IMHO

Edited by barteks, 06 October 2009 - 19:01.

#64 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 19:09

You are entirely wrong.

That's convincing :stoned:

#65 DePortago

DePortago

• 189 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 19:11

For me it´s not as good move as it seems. It is true that renault has the experience of winning, but it means nothing if you don´t make a good car. Renault´s R29 is the worst F1 car the frech squad has developed since 1985, which means that they have done this years one of their worst cars ever. Let´s imagine thy would not have had Alonso with them: they will probably be the 10th team!!!!

Kubica deserves a good car, because he´s actually one of the best in the grid. But neither Toyota nor Renault will be in the position to offer him a winning car next year, that´s my opinion, but i would like to be wrong.

#66 alecc

alecc

• 2,191 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 19:21

Actually in quali it's 9:6 for Kubica this year.

Finishing position (when both finished) - 5:5

Faster laps: useless piece of stat IMHO

In qualies it is 8:7 not 9:6, but like in suzuka, when Kubica didn't manage to make a clean lap or singapour when because of rubens crash there was red flack, he was unlucky in some other qualies too.
In 2007, Nick had 11:5 better qualies, but then, Kubica has almost always the heavier car.
Stats aren't so easy to read.
IMO they are both underrated drivers, and I wish Nick manage to have at least a mid-field car next season.

#67 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

• 14 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 20:36

Anyone wonders why the announcement has been delayed? :smoking:

#68 alecc

alecc

• 2,191 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 20:44

Anyone wonders why the announcement has been delayed? :smoking:

Peroa wrote the reason in this thread, please read the thread first before you ask questions ;)

Hehe, Howett chained himself to Kubica's leg in greenpeace style and refuses food & water ...

:lol:

#69 The Truth

The Truth

• 337 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:43

Bad move by Kubica. Renault are totally hopeless at designing cars these days. This year they have the 9th best car, so I dont know why Kubica would choose them over toyotya who produced a great car. Its true renault have a better history but thats just history and it seems clear they have lost all their best staff. I fear for Kubica's career unless its only a 1 year deal.

#70 peroa

peroa

• 8,889 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:51

Bad move by Kubica. Renault are totally hopeless at designing cars these days. This year they have the 9th best car, so I dont know why Kubica would choose them over toyotya who produced a great car. Its true renault have a better history but thats just history and it seems clear they have lost all their best staff. I fear for Kubica's career unless its only a 1 year deal.

But that is hypothetically, theoretically and practically totally impossible by today's understanding of relativity and quantum Atlas F1 forum dogmas aka "The Truth".

They have the mother of all car developers driving there for 2 years now.

:smoking:

#71 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:52

Bad move by both parties. You could almost say they deserve each other.

Simply this.

#72 The Truth

The Truth

• 337 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:56

But that is hypothetically, theoretically and practically totally impossible by today's understanding of relativity and quantum Atlas F1 forum dogmas aka "The Truth".

They have the mother of all car developers driving there for 2 years now.

:smoking:

No matter how good Alonso is at leading development, he is ultimately limited by the abilities of the renault engineers, in much the same way, a driver is limited by the speed of his car no matter how fast he is. Renault are trully hopeless and 9th best team on average is no exaggeration.

#73 kong

kong

• 264 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:13

No matter how good Alonso is at leading development, he is ultimately limited by the abilities of the renault engineers, in much the same way, a driver is limited by the speed of his car no matter how fast he is. Renault are trully hopeless and 9th best team on average is no exaggeration.

Well, the speed of the same powertrain in Red Bull seems to be perfectly OK.
Looks like Vettel is much better in developing or/and driving the car than a certain spaniard! :)

#74 kong

kong

• 264 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:23

Yes, ofcourse it is so. They have lost their best staff, like Flavio and Nelsinho.... Or?
And now You are afraid that Kubica can make the Renault get better results 2010 than what Alonso could 2009. Or?

Might make Fernando look bad? Maybe... :rolleyes:

#75 alecc

alecc

• 2,191 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:31

Hypothetical, Massa beating Fernando, Renault constructing better car than Ferrari, if it would be so, it couldn't get worse for Alonso.;)
But it not only hypothetical, it's very unrealistic either.

#76 CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow

• 2,368 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:57

I wonder if it's a 1 year deal, or at least with a option to terminate for convenience after 1 year, that would have to be the major arguing point over any contract.

Good year at Renault/Toyota and Kubica could probably make the jump to Ferrari.

#77 The Truth

The Truth

• 337 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:00

Yes, ofcourse it is so. They have lost their best staff, like Flavio and Nelsinho.... Or?
And now You are afraid that Kubica can make the Renault get better results 2010 than what Alonso could 2009. Or?

Might make Fernando look bad? Maybe... :rolleyes:

Once again you fail to understand the concept of different chassis. Kubica will not be driving the 2009 renault so if he gets better results in 2010 it wont prove anything relative to Alonso.

#78 alecc

alecc

• 2,191 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:10

Based on Daniele Morelli statement (source is polish media):

-He has the choose from Renault, Toyota and Williams, he chosen Renault because:
-Length of contract that would allow a long-term co-operation
-The name of the race engineer
-The name of the second driver :confused:
-The personnel of the team
-quality of engines
-achievements of the team
-stable future of the team.
-The Williams offer was rejected because of the unsure engine situation
-The Toyota offer was rejected because they didn't manage to win in 7 years of starting in F1 and unsure future of the team :confused:

I quote only polish media, and they like to confuse, so please don't take it so serious.

Edited by alecc, 07 October 2009 - 08:18.

#79 peroa

peroa

• 8,889 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:16

Once again you fail to understand the concept of different chassis. Kubica will not be driving the 2009 renault so if he gets better results in 2010 it wont prove anything relative to Alonso.

I will remind you of this post when you'll write BS next year if Ferrari makes a decent car.
:wave:

Advertisement

#80 barteks

barteks

• 2,329 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:22

-He has the choose from Renault, Toyota and Williams, he chosen Renault because:
-quality of engines
-The Toyota offer was rejected because they didn't manage to win in 7 years of starting in F1 and unsure future of the team :confused:

I quote only polish media, and they like to confuse, so please don't take it so serious.

Source is NOT Polish media but http://www.lequipe.f...a-a-choisi.html :rolleyes:

#81 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:25

Alecc I'm taking it with a grain of salt, but are you saying Kubica can choose his no.2 driver?

#82 papa

papa

• 495 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:26

I will remind you of this post when you'll write BS next year if Ferrari makes a decent car.
:wave:

Alonso's performance should be measured relative to Massa's performance...

#83 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:35

-quality of engines

Sounds like he's using his head rather than his bank account to make his decision.

#84 CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow

• 2,368 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:41

Alecc I'm taking it with a grain of salt, but are you saying Kubica can choose his no.2 driver?

I wonder if that's why Heidfeld has been so quiet, maybe Kubica hooked him up a ride at Renault. Having said that I don't think it's a good idea if he did.

It's probably Kovi, he'd make a good number 2.

#85 alecc

alecc

• 2,191 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:41

I quoted polish media that quoted the http://www.lequipe.f...a-a-choisi.html
in the source of the source there isn't any word about the second driver, so I assume the polish reports aren't good at french :)
But there said not that he can choose the second driver, they said only that his name was a factor in team choosing.

#86 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:48

It's funny that a lot of teams promote equity between drivers, because so very many of them are at their best when they're in control. Kubica does it; he was racing at his best when he was leading the championship last season. Though this phenomena tends to be over the course of a season, which works in with the policy of backing one driver when they're still in contention.

#87 CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow

• 2,368 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:53

Still, one has to wonder where the annoucment of all this is? Maybe with this talk of Kimi to Red Bull lately a seat has opened up for Kubica at McLaren? Probably far-fetched but it doesn't hurt to speculate;)

#88 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 09:04

As a new driver, he certainly wouldn't have a say. But, as he was (ssemingly) their first choice - he was recommended by Alonso - Renault may be looking for some harmony within the team. I don't know what Kubica thinks of other drivers, but if he's known to have a personal disagreement with a particular driver, Renault may have been able to lure him over with the promise of not having to race alongside said disagreeable person.

#89 gorivan

gorivan

• 226 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 09:33

Eddie Jordan, unreliable as he is, said with a high degree of confidence on Saturday on BBC that Kubica would be taking Kovalainen with him to Renault and made it sound like a done deal. It was a surprise to me, as it was the first time I heard speculation of Kubica being friends with Kova (which EJ suggested).

Edited by gorivan, 07 October 2009 - 09:34.

#90 alecc

alecc

• 2,191 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 09:51

It was a surprise to me, as it was the first time I heard speculation of Kubica being friends with Kova (which EJ suggested).

In one of the interviews with Robert, he said that his best mates on the paddock are Alonso and Fisichella, I doesn't heard about Heikki either.

#91 CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow

• 2,368 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 10:00

In one of the interviews with Robert, he said that his best mates on the paddock are Alonso and Fisichella, I doesn't heard about Heikki either.

You gotta admit, he'd fit into Ferrari SO well.

#92 alecc

alecc

• 2,191 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 10:51

You gotta admit, he'd fit into Ferrari SO well.

I admit, he is "almost" italian, the other drivers are his mates, the pace is clearly good, BUT I'm a fan of Robert and my opinion is being far from objective :)

#93 RF1 fan

RF1 fan

• 400 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 11:48

The deal is done between Renault and Kuiba.

« Je suis très heureux de rejoindre Renault en 2010. J’ai déjà une relation privilégiée avec l’équipe ayant remporté le World Series by Renault en 2005. Cette victoire m’avait donné l’opportunité de tester avec Renault à Barcelone ce qui m’a ensuite permis de faire mes débuts en Formule 1. »

#94 CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow

• 2,368 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 11:55

The deal is done between Renault and Kuiba.

2 year contract it seems, don't know if that includes a break option after one year.

#95 vsubravet

vsubravet

• 2,121 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 11:58

Any info. regarding other details, like the supposed second driver which Kubica was "rumoured" to favour?

#96 RF1 fan

RF1 fan

• 400 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 12:01

Bob Bell about Robert:

« Nous sommes ravis d’accueillir Robert au sein du Renault F1 Team à partir de la saison prochaine. Nous suivons la carrière de Robert depuis ses débuts en Formule 1 en 2006. C’est un des pilotes les plus talentueux de sa génération et il l’a prouvé. Nous sommes donc heureux d’avoir pu le recruter. Renault a beaucoup d’ambition et d’espoir pour le futur de l’équipe, et, nous pensons que Robert pourra jouer un rôle déterminant dans la réalisation de nos objectifs. »

#97 santori

santori

• 3,913 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 12:03

Kubica confirmé chez Renault

Robert Kubica rejoint Renault

#98 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 2,800 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 12:04

Yes Kubica is official now.

#99 alecc

alecc

• 2,191 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 12:06

Any info. regarding other details, like the supposed second driver which Kubica was "rumoured" to favour?

After http://motorsport.co...ID=348312&FS=F1 :

Another new rumour is that Renault, even after replacing Fernando Alonso with Kubica, is also on the lookout for a teammate for the 24-year-old Pole.

It is believed team management are not keen on the underperforming rookie Romain Grosjean, who was championed by the disgraced former boss Flavio Briatore.

It is believed Nick Heidfeld is near the top of the list for the drive, after the veteran German always matched up alongside the highly rated Kubica at BMW-Sauber this year.

However, it is understood that Renault is prepared to wait much longer - for instance until January of next year - to confirm the identity of the second driver.

Also in the frame to replace Grosjean are Timo Glock and Adrian Sutil.

So there are rumours that the second seat will be Heidfeld, Glock, Sutil or Raikkonen (heard in polish media)

Advertisement

#100 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,610 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 12:07

Yup, it's on Autosport now.