Photo

Kubica to Renault

• Please log in to reply
324 replies to this topic

#301 alecc

alecc

• 2,191 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 21:35

I guess that the most optimistic (for renault) and likely is that two teams from mclaren/redbull/ferrari will make the 4 top cars, and one from them, plus one from brawngp/renault will make the second tier 4 cars that will fight for podiums, maybe single wins. Toyota/Williams they will mix in some races with the second tier teams, more unlikely to make to the second tier.

Advertisement

#302 JarnoA

JarnoA

• 752 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 21:50

no chance he has the best car next year. It will be midfield fodder like it has been the past 2 seasons. The thing that worries me is that renault said about the 2009 car exactly what they said about the 2008 car. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with the car - its just lacking pace. Which IMO basically means they're not really sure how to make it faster which does not bode well for 2010.

2008 was all about developing at the same rate as McLaren and Ferrari, who had a reason to win the WDC and WCC's. Renault's reason was to keep Alonso. For 2010, this isn't the case. There are no major rule changes and apparently the CFD results are extremely positive.

In 2007, Renault had a double wammy of a wrongly configured wind tunnel, (hidden by the raw pace of their previous cars), and the loss of Michelin, who Bell and Symmonds said they were able to get the tyre designed around the car as opposed to the other way round. In 2008, they sorted the Wind tunnel correlation, but carried on developing the 2008 car to the end, (which was suicide for a team not competing for a title, but in Renault's case, they needed to get results to hold onto Alonso).

For 2010, they have lots of experience with Bridgestone, and concentrated early on the 2010 car.

Renault have a great bunch of guys, and whilst Symmonds will be missed in the strategy department, they still have a better chance with better people than the likes of Williams, Toyota, FI, and basically everyone bar Ferrari and McLaren, (and possibly Brawn and Red Bull, though their success this year is largely down to early concentration on new rules).

The enstone outfit has won 4 WDC's and 3 WCC's in the last 15 years. McLaren has won 3 WDC's, and 1 WCC in the same timeframe. Williams has won 2 WDC's and 3 WCC's in this time, so Renault is the second most successfull team in the last 15 years behind Ferrari, (6 WDC's, and 8 WCC's).

#303 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 22:30

this is MiPe's way of thinking, I'm afraid.

Maybe I have been just checking whether Polish brigade just moved out of BMW thread, and I am pleased they have. :)

#304 Walsingham

Walsingham

• 1,097 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 22:36

Maybe I have been just checking whether Polish brigade just moved out of BMW thread, and I am pleased they have. :)

You should ask yourself question you asked Bob Bell mate. Its not Polish brigade who moved from BMW thread. Its German beancounters brigade who moved BMW from F1 in case you didnt notice.

#305 CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow

• 2,368 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 22:43

Posted Image

Will we see this in 09? Maybe.

#306 alecc

alecc

• 2,191 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 23:09

I like this classic black-yellow livery too, especially this
http://www.auto123.c...tos?artid=85572
from the 30t anniversary that I quoted in this thread.

But when I saw this:
Posted Image

This dark blue :eek: :love:

#307 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,414 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 00:59

There is something called regression to mean, or as they say F1 is cycle sport. I could imagine that renault is now at the bottom of the cycle and the only way is up. I'm probably overoptimistic but I dont see a reason why renault couldnt be faster next year.

F1 isn't salary cap/draft pick type sport where teams who do bad get the best picks on cheap young talent, while old established talents gradually disperse from the top teams as their salary demands can't be accommodated under the salary cap. There is NO advantages to poor results in F1! So the cyclic nature is much less likely IMO.

#308 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 04:20

this is MiPe's way of thinking, I'm afraid.

Not really, you can trust me in that.

#309 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,056 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 14:31

Please keep it amicable and on topic - Kubica to Renault.

Take discussions about the livery to http://forums.autosp...howtopic=116746

#310 stonebutter

stonebutter

• 697 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 14:33

I laughed :blush:

#311 Gemini

Gemini

• 3,390 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 17:03

Dear MiPe,

I see my balanced discussion with you in other thread did not change you at all...

You were pissing into 'Polish brigade' champagne bottle celebrating Kubica's presence in F1. It seemed to me that you are passionate fan of BMW brand and you think it deserves better driver than Kubica. You were given good 'beating' there. Nowwhen BMW, in acrobatic figure, showed F1 a middle finger and bare butt in same move, you are chasing 'Polish brigade' into Renault/Kubica thread to tease "Polish brigade' again. You are set for good 'beating' again. I guess you will follow "Polish brigade' elsewhere as well if/when it moves again.

#312 Bumper

Bumper
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,966 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 23:19

Thread edited. Let's try again. Less off topic and more Kubica to Renault please :)

#313 JarnoA

JarnoA

• 752 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 23:43

Thread edited. Let's try again. Less off topic and more Kubica to Renault please :)

Amen to that.

#314 alecc

alecc

• 2,191 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 22:08

Last interview:
http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/79456

About the rumour that he have any influence to the 2nd driver selection:

"I think there are a few names who are quite experienced that Renault is looking at for next year. I will not try to have any influence on my team-mate for next year. To be honest, I will welcome all these drivers whose names I have heard.

"I think all of them can do a good job. I have my personal preferences but this is only because of private personal relationships, but, as I said, I will not have any influence and I will leave it to the people who are deciding."

And translated part from a Polish interview, about the rumours that its a one year contract:
(sorry for not-so-good english)

Do you have talked with Fernando about the decision?
-No, not last time.
Was it important for you, to have a free hand in the 2011?
-I never said, that I will be free in 2011, so I don't know, from where comes such rumours.
So you have a contract with Renault for longer than a year?
-I don't know! Maybe yes, maybe not. I never speak about contract, so in this case too, I save the details of the contract for me
Do you interested in Renault plans about the new team manager? Do you talk with them?
-To be honest, I'm still a driver in BMW, and I have two GP's to race. I think that the people which are responsible for this decision, are people how know how to do it. I'm only a driver. I will be very happy to help developing the new car. Managment of the team, is not my part. I believe that the team managment make the right decision.

Edited by alecc, 15 October 2009 - 22:09.

#315 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 6,326 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 22:46

Props to Jonathan Noble for getting this out of Kubica:

Q. Considering it is one of the three winning teams for the last 10 years, why did you sign a contract for one year?

RK: Who said I signed a contract for one year?

Q. The team only announced an agreement for 2010…

RK: It was the same with BMW. And I was here.

Q. So it is not a one-year contract?

RK: No.

#316 JarnoA

JarnoA

• 752 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 22:50

Props to Jonathan Noble for getting this out of Kubica:

Not really, there are ways of wording stuff. Is it a 1 year contract? No.

The real question would have been "so, are you contractually obliged to stay for more than 1 year"?

The contract could be for 3 years with a getout clause after the first to go to a better team.

#317 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 22:57

Not really, there are ways of wording stuff. Is it a 1 year contract? No.

The real question would have been "so, are you contractually obliged to stay for more than 1 year"?

The contract could be for 3 years with a getout clause after the first to go to a better team.

Or it could simply be a 13 month contract.

Edited by werks prototype, 15 October 2009 - 22:58.

#318 alecc

alecc

• 2,191 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 23:18

From Jon Nobles twitter:

Robert Kubica says that Renault is looking for an experienced driver to race alongside him in 2010. Not good news for Romain Grosjean

If experienced literally then it could be Heidfeld, Trulli, Rubens, isn't it? If not so literally then Heikki for sure.

And from http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/79457 (the full interview)

What I honestly don't like is this wide front wing, where we have seen a lot of damages, a lot of wings going off in the first corner and the first lap. This is not good for overtaking. It is not good for the show, but that is how it is.

He's right, those wide front wings killed the rest of wheel-by-wheel driving you could see sometimes in the past. Everybody is afraid of a damage of this wing and won't take any risk :/

#319 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 6,326 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:37

Well Rubens is off to Williams it seems and I can't see anyone choosing Trulli over Heidfeld...

Advertisement

#320 alecc

alecc

• 2,191 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:24

BMW changed the racing engineer for Kubica too Francesco Nenci. Pretty weird.

#321 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:28

Toni Cucarella to Renault or Ferrari? :drunk:

#322 Lord_Shaitan

Lord_Shaitan

• 853 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:30

You guys are interpreting his word too literally. He meant rather experienced as non-rookie than 10-years f1 racing guy. Glock and Kovalainen seems fit very well to be his team-mate.

Edited by Lord_Shaitan, 16 October 2009 - 11:31.

#323 The Ragged Edge

The Ragged Edge

• 4,435 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:34

Well Rubens is off to Williams it seems and I can't see anyone choosing Trulli over Heidfeld...

Stranger things have happened. :drunk:

#324 zdzisio

zdzisio

• 152 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 15:29

BMW changed the racing engineer for Kubica too Francesco Nenci. Pretty weird.

Pure speculation but to me this would suggest that Antonio Cuquerella goes to Renault with Kubica, and the team wants to give someone new at least some chance to get experience in case they are on the grid next year

#325 308

• 172 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 15:59

Pure speculation but to me this would suggest that Antonio Cuquerella goes to Renault with Kubica, and the team wants to give someone new at least some chance to get experience in case they are on the grid next year

Maybe Robert is testing his new racing engineer...