Photo

Bonhams Auction

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 09:00

Some interesting stuff on sale at Bonhams - Lot 97 Hailwood pudding basin, on on through Read, Findlay, Williams, Grant, Marshall, Baker, Fogarty - Gallina/Nava RG Fairing. etc.
I particularly like lot 106 - a life size figure of Kenny Roberts, suited & booted with helmet
http://www.bonhams.c...p;iSaleNo=17664

Advertisement

#2 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 10:55

My word Mike , a few ' names ' seem to be having a major clearout , it will be interesting to see the prices achieved . Quite a lot of IOM replicas , which may keep prices down a tad

#3 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 14:21

My word Mike , a few ' names ' seem to be having a major clearout , it will be interesting to see the prices achieved . Quite a lot of IOM replicas , which may keep prices down a tad

Quite a few seem associated with the journalist and writer Ted McCauley - those Hailwood items are so special. A pudding basin helmet from the 60's - how rare is that? Steve Baker AGV helmet, or maybe a Bell with AGV stickers :well: from the 1977 F750 champion & 500 GP runner up - fabulous :D I would love some of these things, but then we're only custodians as is (or was) the vendor.

#4 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 14:34

Yes Mike , Ted and Mike were close , I have the ' Hailwood ' book written by them . I was wondering about all the silver replicas , I wonder whose all the ' unnamed ' ones were .
Seems strange the owners , like-wise the trophy winners are'nt named .

#5 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 15:20

Hailwood's crash hat, mmm..... this would appear to be the one - the markings appear to be almost, but not quite, identical. The item up for auction is said to be have been worn at Brands, Good Friday, '63, when Mike crashed at Clearways. The almost identically damaged helmet pictured below is from a photograph taken at the Race of the Year 1969.......

I've contacted a well known former racer who does some work for Bonhams, but he's yet to get back.

Posted Image

#6 Arthur

Arthur

• 170 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 15:33

I believe most of this stuff has long been sold by the original owners and winners and most of this is coming from collectors who are now selling up. I find it rather sad that winners sell the fruits of their acheivements on in order to raise funds as in the future it is a reminder to your sons and daughters when you pass on, but of course in the 60s they hardly earnt a living and the trophy was often worth more than the prize money.
The collection of Ralph Bryans is typical as this is displayed in purpose made cabinets pictures of which were displayed on E.Bay where it was placed for sale with a reserve of £50K a few years back so obviously Ralph was very proud of his collection but for reasons known to him felt it was time to part with them.
Mind you I have seen some racers part with sort after trophies to assist charitable causes like the TTRA.

#7 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 16:58

I find it rather sad that winners sell the fruits of their acheivements on in order to raise funds as in the future it is a reminder to your sons and daughters when you pass on

Agreed, but in hard times or when you retire perhaps understandable. The helmets are probably Ted McCauley's pension fund & I hope they do well for him.

As an aside recently a contact sent me photos he'd taken at Ago's place. The amount of memorabilia he had kept was staggering, virtually all the leathers and helmets as well as trophies etc. It was so comprehensive I got the impression he had never given anything away.

#8 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 17:13

Agreed, but in hard times or when you retire perhaps understandable. The helmets are probably Ted McCauley's pension fund & I hope they do well for him.

As an aside recently a contact sent me photos he'd taken at Ago's place. The amount of memorabilia he had kept was staggering, virtually all the leathers and helmets as well as trophies etc. It was so comprehensive I got the impression he had never given anything away.

Me too, providing they're all kosher....not that Mr McCauley (if he's the seller) would wittingly sell something that wasn't. I suppose it's just possible that what appears to be a severely damaged helmet, said to have got that way at Brands in 1963 and now maked as such, would be used by Hailwood at Mallory Park more than six years later..... Myself, I think I'd be inclined to keep my chequebook in my pocket.

Edited by Russell Burrows, 07 October 2009 - 17:18.

#9 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 17:30

Me too, providing they're all kosher....not that Mr McCauley (if he's the seller) would wittingly sell something that wasn't. I suppose it's just possible that what appears to be a severely damaged helmet, said to have got that way at Brands in 1963 and now maked as such, would be used by Hailwood at Mallory Park more than six years later..... Myself, I think I'd be inclined to keep my chequebook in my pocket.

Colin Seeley says it has been verified by Ted McCauley, although the mystery over the 1963 marking remains unsolved.....Oh, and it sold for over three grand :eek:

Edited by Russell Burrows, 22 October 2009 - 17:30.

#10 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 18:54

Colin Seeley says it has been verified by Ted McCauley, although the mystery over the 1963 marking remains unsolved.....Oh, and it sold for over three grand :eek:

£4140 inc buyers premium Russell. Phil Read £2070 and an amazing £6900 for Foggy's 92 TT winning leathers whereas his helmet for the same race was "only" £1495

#11 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 20:00

£4140 inc buyers premium Russell. Phil Read £2070 and an amazing £6900 for Foggy's 92 TT winning leathers whereas his helmet for the same race was "only" £1495

"Only".... a flipping bargain!! :eek:

Edited by picblanc, 22 October 2009 - 20:00.

#12 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 21:06

"Only".... a flipping bargain!! :eek:

:rotfl: I never can understand why a set of (Loctite) leathers, exactly the same as a team mates would be more desirable than a riders unique design on a helmet?

#13 SILVERDREAMRACER

SILVERDREAMRACER

• 116 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:36

is it true that the Shark FOGGY replica race helmet was only made in a XXXL ! :p