* * * * - 6 votes

iRacing.com

• Please log in to reply
2019 replies to this topic

#51 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,093 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 12:16

Just signed up on the $75 deal, really enjoying it! Im suprised Im only the 2nd Paul Taylor :D Bagged my first win just now (ok a tie to the nearest 1000th) :wave:

http://img697.images...acing1stwin.jpg

That's a coincidence, I'm the first.

http://members.iraci...do?custid=33862

Advertisement

#52 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,224 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 14:44

That's a coincidence, I'm the first.

http://members.iraci...do?custid=33862

Hey Paul :wave: I saw youre near the top of the solstice leagues, we've obviously got a fast name! Hopefully I can catch you up, dont want to be your number two forever! ;)

Nasty - I did quite alot of Grand Prix Legends and NR2003 in the past so the physics carry some resemblance to those sims being a Dave Kaemmer product. I think Im going to get on the pace alot quicker than I did making the switch from LFS to RFactor. I think LFS and iRacing have the best combination of physics and FFB. Even after competing in the FSR World Champs this year I still find the cars cannot be driven by feel in RFactor, the grip levels feel scripted rather based on a real time system. Straight away in iRacing the grip levels seem more predictable and real to me.

My favourite car Ive driven so far is the spec racer but not allowed to race it yet, hopefully soon! Really enjoying the legends on short ovals too, the technique for being fast is so similar to the unrestricted speedways in NR2003 (eg Texas), ease off throttle in, slowly apply to full asap through the entire corner. The solstice is quite challenging too but more in a restrictive rather than tricky way.

Im realising the importance of not making mistakes to improve your rating. My first race at Lime Rock in the Solstice I managed to qualify and hold third place for the first 5 of 20 laps until I got collected by a spinning backmarker and had to get a tow. Had a fair few more off tracks pushing T1 too much (11 incidents in total!) and came out with a score negative to what I started with! Its a really good system, stops the do or die attitude kicking in too much which makes it much more like real club racing where you cant afford to crash (literally). I can see already that wins are always going to be hotly contested too! Also helps going into a race seeing who has what rating and that you should probably avoid them if possible (see Joseph Burns on my link, 60 incidents in one session has a rating of 1.70).

Should be on tonight!

#53 bonneville

bonneville

• 345 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 15:05

A problem with iRacing is the fact that you have to be public: you have to run under your real name.

I understand it's cool to know that Dale Earnhardt Jr is indeed the real deal. IMO, the rule should be tweaked as such: U should be allowed to race under your full name or an abbreviation of it. Why don't they allow John Doe to race under John D. for instance ???

#54 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,224 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 15:19

A problem with iRacing is the fact that you have to be public: you have to run under your real name.

I understand it's cool to know that Dale Earnhardt Jr is indeed the real deal. IMO, the rule should be tweaked as such: U should be allowed to race under your full name or an abbreviation of it. Why don't they allow John Doe to race under John D. for instance ???

Depends if youve got anything to hide I suppose. If you played at a squash club or do some other hobby would you give a fake name?

I like the idea of real names only in theory. It prevents the mindset of hiding behind a facade, potentially getting rid of the people who race wreck, then rejoin under a different psuedonym after being banned. But must admit im not too happy being Paul Taylor '2'.

#55 bonneville

bonneville

• 345 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 15:32

Depends if youve got anything to hide I suppose. If you played at a squash club or do some other hobby would you give a fake name?

I like the idea of real names only in theory. It prevents the mindset of hiding behind a facade, potentially getting rid of the people who race wreck, then rejoin under a different psuedonym after being banned. But must admit im not too happy being Paul Taylor '2'.

Not too fan of having non work related stuff pop out when my name is googled.

#56 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,093 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 15:34

I don't really understand why drivers can't have identical names, surely it's stored in the database by your own personal account ID rather than name?

#57 Mat

Mat

• 7,674 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 15:35

You would think it was a problem, until you you joined iRacing and realised plenty of members use fake names.

#58 bonneville

bonneville

• 345 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 15:38

You would think it was a problem, until you you joined iRacing and realised plenty of members use fake names.

This is interesting. How come? Through Paypal?

#59 MaxScelerate

MaxScelerate

• 4,262 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 15:55

I think is because they still wish to sell and advertise it as functionning like any real, no-nonsense sporting league. And in sporting leagues you don't usually get to choose a nickname. You go by your name and then, maybe, sport journalist will give you a nick.

That said, I'd rather be Alex than Alexandre so... :p

Advertisement

#60 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,224 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 16:18

You need to get a more common name! Try googling Paul Taylor... we're everywhere!

#61 MaxScelerate

MaxScelerate

• 4,262 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 16:33

This is interesting. How come? Through Paypal?

Well, I heard there were lots of "Annette's" and "Sue's" because of some people registering using their mother/girlfriend's credit card. I guess a similar (yet less obvious) amount of fathers/friends cards were used too... I dunno if iracing.com allows registering with 'gift card'-types of debit cards from VISA/Mastercard/etc. but if they do I gues they got to do away with the 'user name matching the credit card statement' thing...

#62 bonneville

bonneville

• 345 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 17:13

Who's the fastest iRacing driver on this board?

#63 Rick002

Rick002

• 17 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 19:32

I think is because they still wish to sell and advertise it as functionning like any real, no-nonsense sporting league. And in sporting leagues you don't usually get to choose a nickname. You go by your name and then, maybe, sport journalist will give you a nick.

That said, I'd rather be Alex than Alexandre so... :p

You can email the staff at iRacing to change your name to a shorter version. I changed mine from Ricky to Rick

#64 MaxScelerate

MaxScelerate

• 4,262 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 20:24

bonneville - I dunno but it's certainly not me. I've always been slowish, but I've come back to sim racing only to find I've become inconsistent as well. :( Some of it I could put down to the wheel, but for the rest I need to rediscover patience I guess. :)

Rick - Now that's interesting, I'll have a look, thanks :)

#65 Mat

Mat

• 7,674 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 20:55

I dunno if iracing.com allows registering with 'gift card'-types of debit cards from VISA/Mastercard/etc. but if they do I gues they got to do away with the 'user name matching the credit card statement' thing...

I registered using a PayPal account, and the PayPal account you can set up with any name, and you can link it with ay credit card. I still ended up using my real name though. 

#66 karlth

karlth

• 16,235 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 23:35

Probably depends on the series.

#67 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,224 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 23:37

1st race win :D http://img177.images...lsticelimer.jpg

#68 MaxScelerate

MaxScelerate

• 4,262 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 00:45

:up:

#69 Exar Kun

Exar Kun

• 1,169 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:31

You won't have your iRacing name being googled since it's a closed shop. The only issue is if people were to start posting your name around in public forums.

#70 Exar Kun

Exar Kun

• 1,169 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:35

There's at least a couple of people who aren't active members here (but have posted a bit in the sim racing forum in the past) who are super fast. Beyond that, as Karlth said, it depends on which series. And since we all seem to be running different series at the moment (outside of rookie) it's hard to compare.

I'm running the Dallara at the moment and I was quite competitive at the start of the season but now that I can't practice very much I'm dropping off the pace. I'm happy enough if I can chalk up top 5s. I haven't won a race in iRacing in over a year.

#71 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:08

1st race win :D http://img177.images...lsticelimer.jpg

I noticed you in that race as you lapped me lol. Got 4th, but TBH, its mostly coz everyone else fell off the road. i beat you in the next one at sobo though ;)

I also got my 1st win today, and SHOULD have had a 2nd, but someone dropped it infront of me and i braked a bit too hard and spun....still clawed my way back to 3rd. 1 win and 3 3rds in the legends today, not too bad. Im still slower than most guys in the races over 1 lap, but can run 18.2's all day long, and thats where ive had an improvement today.

Everything went my way, i had to avoid like 2 messes across 6 races, everything else seemed to happen behind me or people just wobbled off the road infront of me, and i didnt know untill looking at the replay.

Dont think ill have to worry about having to share my name at iracing any time soon...

#72 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,093 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:15

Matt Weisberg seems to be in every Solstice race I've ever been in and despite being Class A, he never seems all that quick...

#73 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,224 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 13:21

Matt Weisberg seems to be in every Solstice race I've ever been in and despite being Class A, he never seems all that quick...

He had a real pop at me last night was quite funny actually. I came up to lap him about 3 from the end into the final corner at Lime Rock. I took the inside line into the corner but lost loads of grip and drifted slightly wide and we touched, he then ran wide. I slowed on the straight to type (sorry as I genuinely was) but he just went on and on over the mic going on about the ridiculous driving levels were and how big my lead was I didnt need to do that!

#74 MaxScelerate

MaxScelerate

• 4,262 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 15:47

'Heard' that from half a track away and it went on from lap 14 onward... Perhaps Matt wasn't aware that the people on the lead lap had been lapping people left, right and center and then over again and again again (like poor Kenneth who - no matter how slow I am - I still lapped four times).

#75 Exar Kun

Exar Kun

• 1,169 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 22:53

License class has nothing to do with speed though. It's just about how safe you are and it's barely even that. Fast track has at least helped with dropping people down a class when they don't really belong. Considering you only need to do time trials to go up a license class it's pretty easy to get up to a high level.

Dallara is B 4.0+ and the last race I had there at Watkins Glen had lap times ranging from 1:31s to 1:41s which gives some pretty crazy closure speeds in those cars!

#76 Mat

Mat

• 7,674 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 08:23

I havent turned the voice chat on, i heard it was a fps hit. Is it worth having on. Id hate to think im missing out on people abusing me!

#77 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,224 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 21:37

I havent turned the voice chat on, i heard it was a fps hit. Is it worth having on. Id hate to think im missing out on people abusing me!

Youre not just missing out on the abuse directed at you, its the inter driver abuse going on race long. I find the deep south american accents brilliant to listen to! 'Aaahm' torning intoo turn fo-uuh" :lol:

#78 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,093 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 22:29

Lapped traffic is a pain in the backside in iRacing, totally unpredictable - you don't know whether they know you're about to lap them. I'm extra, extra careful now. Even if I have a small lead of a few seconds or less, because I figure the cars behind will have to find their way past as well so what I lose, they will probably lose as well.

In my earlier days of iRacing I just used to go for it, I lost several race wins being taken out by lapped traffic.

Edited by Paul Taylor, 03 December 2009 - 22:30.

#79 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,224 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 23:51

A question guys- does your web browser have to stay running in the background while the sim is running? Im using Google Chrome having found it the quickest browser. Anyone found one that uses less cpu/ram to help the game run better? I usually make sure nothing else is running when I drive sims to maximize in game FPS potential.

Advertisement

#80 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:07

Im Guessing you can close it. Ive alt+tabbed out of testing and used the browser for something else. I reckon once the 'game' is launched, the browser doesnt do anything else...atleast untill you quit out, then it'd need it for the results. Give it a try in a test session...just incase.

Alright, im looking to blow some more cash and cant decide which way to go between skippys and late models. Whatever one i pick, ill probably be locked into the road or oval path for a little while atleast (i cant see myself buying the 6 odd tracks needed for a season on both road AND oval seasons). Skippy races seem pretty full at the times im on, but im not sure about the late models. Do those races generally get a decent amount of drivers?

And i guess looking forward a bit more to c class, the trucks do interest me, but what are the star mazda's or radicals like? racing and participation wise.

Feck it, i went with the skippy. Only ran a prac session at lowes, coz im about to go get pissed, but it was nice to drive. Feels in between the solstice and the SFR....not a dead lump, and you can turn the car with the pedals, but not quite as insane as the ford.

Edited by Nasty McBastard, 04 December 2009 - 05:58.

#81 karlth

karlth

• 16,235 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 09:50

Alright, im looking to blow some more cash and cant decide which way to go between skippys and late models. Whatever one i pick, ill probably be locked into the road or oval path for a little while atleast (i cant see myself buying the 6 odd tracks needed for a season on both road AND oval seasons). Skippy races seem pretty full at the times im on, but im not sure about the late models. Do those races generally get a decent amount of drivers?

And i guess looking forward a bit more to c class, the trucks do interest me, but what are the star mazda's or radicals like? racing and participation wise.

Feck it, i went with the skippy. Only ran a prac session at lowes, coz im about to go get pissed, but it was nice to drive. Feels in between the solstice and the SFR....not a dead lump, and you can turn the car with the pedals, but not quite as insane as the ford.

The Skippy is a wonderful car to drive but for my taste a bit too delicate. The SFR is more to my liking, just as long as you stay on the throttle into the corners!

What you'll find though is that the competition can be very fierce in the Skippy series with some of the absolute top drivers occassionally dipping their toes into the races.

After the Skippy you should probably try for the Mazda series as participation is very good and the car is supposed to be superb. The Radical series never took off for some reason. On the ovals the Late Model is the car that is recommended by most.

Next year then we'll be seeing more European and Australian content. I'm especially looking forward to see what European road racer will be introduced. Hopefully the Caterham.

#82 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,224 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:19

just as long as you stay on the throttle into the corners!

This is something I find with all the cars Ive driven so far (Legend, Solstice, Spec racer). The solstice in final turn at lime rock is biggest case in point, so much more grip keeping 75% throttle on, even at turn in. Braking or lifting too much really upsets the car and causes lots of grip loss.

#83 karlth

karlth

• 16,235 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 13:43

This is something I find with all the cars Ive driven so far (Legend, Solstice, Spec racer). The solstice in final turn at lime rock is biggest case in point, so much more grip keeping 75% throttle on, even at turn in. Braking or lifting too much really upsets the car and causes lots of grip loss.

Yes and some racers have complained about it, saying that it is unrealistic. Then someone posted an old F1 article in the iRacing forum with telemetry from Michael Schumacher which shows that he did exactly the same - a driving style that most good gokart drivers are familiar with.

On the other hand we don't have to worry about crashed cars or mechanical durability so that throttle use under braking is probably a bit excessive compared to real life.

#84 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 23:56

I actually like the SRF, i seemed to get the hang of the feel of it easier than the solstice. Ive only done a few sessions around laguna and have found im 3-4 sec off the quickest guys ive seen in my groups, straight out of the box. And being 3-4 sec off over a 1:40 lap is alot better than when i jumped in the solstice and was 7-8 sec off over a 1:03 lap :lol:

And some how, its helped me out in the solstice. Ive got down to low 5's (occasionaly) at LR now, and im almost at the point where if i strung my 'best' corners together, over a lap i might have half a shot at those 3's people do.... of course, my problem is i might only get one or 2 perfect corners. Turn 1 is gonna be my final problem, generally i get in about 68, and hang around 65-68 through it. Watching other guys theyre in about 5 mph quicker, and almost slide it all the way through sitting on 71 or 72. Dont think ill ever be able to do that.

I reckon ill be looking at mazdas next... but i went a bit crazy and got the skippy + 5 tracks, so itll be a while.

#85 MaxScelerate

MaxScelerate

• 4,262 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:20

Just got my first win, admittedly in a slowish field of Solstice (SOF 1492) at LRP. Started second, conceded the position when I took T1 too wide, and then managed a no incident race while the guys in front each went off on their own. The two guys behind me, faster, were fighting each other so never managed to really get closer than 1.5 sec except when lapping traffic.. Leading for 15 laps was a bit of a stress, after the rotten luck I had with backmarkers the whole day, but the puzzle pieces fell just right and the lapped guys either moved over sensively or crashed *someone else* and the guys behind couldn't catch me and I kind of won.

After having ripped apart and put back together my old (2002) Momo, I'm happy to say that while cleaning the pots and cogs didn't amount to much as far as clunky, brokey feeling, it at least made the wheel somewhat precise again. So with FF reduced to around 8, the Spec Racer becomes kind of driveable for me. I still haven't lapped better than an 1.47.something but then I only ever managed 18 laps or so.

#86 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,138 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 14:55

I forgot about this topic. Oops. It's cool to see so many people from this board in iracing. I just don't understand why in the motor sport offseason people are so interested. :p For me, I fanatically follow F1 in the season, and once the season is over need a detox from it and follow basketball (NBA) and vice versa. It's hard to find the motivation to drive right now. This is the downside of iracing to me, because you pay for a yearly subscription for example, but some months out of a year might not want to race.

I think I need to try the Indy Cars because I enjoyed the Solstice alot but hated the skippy and never have raced it. It felt like an F1 car that is on 3 cylinders with it's rear wing fallen off (everything I drive is compared to F1 or DTM/V8's, because these are the cars I love :p ). Can't fault the iracing system or the tracks, everything is what you could expect for the money. It delivers really well. It's just that it doesn't have what I crave. It feels a little bit like being with a blonde, because the girl you really want to be with is also a blonde. Maybe once I try Indycars and Mazda's or even the Corvette it will feel more right.

There is another issue . I read on the forum the official rules state you have to follow American racing rules with blocking/defending. Which means you can't change your line. Firstly, when I raced lots of people did this when I was behind them in the actual races, but to me that's just what racing is about. I hadn't read the forum at this time but there was some great fights and side by sides going into turn 1 on Lime Rock or Laguna. This would be against the rules but how many people report it? It just frustrates me that not only do Americans have this silly rule, but we in iracing have to follow it. I don't know how hard it's policed though.

Alot of people see Webber or Alonso or Lewis or whoever defend hard and say it's dirty. It's a fine line sometimes but that's what racing is about. Managing the risks, pushing the limits and not giving anyone anything for free (unless they are alot quicker then you and fighting will slow you both down too much). When you do it properly, it's very rewarding and leads to some epic battles. Obviously weaving left, then right, then left is wrong, but the way they do it in F1 is the way it should be done IMO. I saw on the forum that people said the way they do it in F1 is "illegal" by iracing rules. I don't know how hard they police it, especially in the higher series, but the thought of it is a bit of a downer.

Edited by HoldenRT, 06 December 2009 - 14:56.

#87 MaxScelerate

MaxScelerate

• 4,262 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 15:23

The fact people say so doesn't mean its so.

Basically, from what I read anyway, *if someone protests an other driver* then an iRacing dude will look at replay and gauge whether to assess any blame, (reportedly) usually in the form of 'education'. From there, well you get the whiners that will report someone every next day I guess, but most people just accept the "sorry"s and the bad luck and leave it at that. The sporting code itself is poorly worded on that front

5.1.12.2. Blocking – Any deviation by a driver from his or her racing line, which
impedes the forward progress of a following car, will be considered blocking
and may be grounds for Protest in accordance with Section 8 of the FIRST
Sporting Code.

Note the 'deviation from his or her driving line' which seems to imply the 'zag' (not the zig) in 'zig-zag'.

Also, don't forget that iRacing is still mostly an oval racing crowd and the blocking mechanics are different on ovals.

Personnally, I just race my race and (usually) feel there's no reason anyone would be angered at me. And also, if you raced someone and had fun, and he had fun, then I can't see anyone protesting nor any penalty being assessed.

Edited by MaxScelerate, 06 December 2009 - 15:25.

#88 bonneville

bonneville

• 345 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 15:56

What do we have coming in 2010 to iRacing?

I heard a modern F1 was in the making. I heard OZ V8 was in the making. I heard Philip Island and Brands Hatch were in the making.
Can we expect those to be released before long ?

How about a DTM ? How about other circuits featured in GPL: Monza, Spa, Nurburgring ?

What have you guys heard ?

#89 MaxScelerate

MaxScelerate

• 4,262 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 16:35

I haven't heard much about upcoming tracks or cars...

There's been an interesting piece about upcoming features (some far down the road, though) in the latest insidesimracing.tv.

#90 Exar Kun

Exar Kun

• 1,169 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 22:48

What do we have coming in 2010 to iRacing?

I heard a modern F1 was in the making. I heard OZ V8 was in the making. I heard Philip Island and Brands Hatch were in the making.
Can we expect those to be released before long ?

How about a DTM ? How about other circuits featured in GPL: Monza, Spa, Nurburgring ?

What have you guys heard ?

For cars we have:

- Mustang
- Ford GT
- FG Falcon V8 Supercar

Tracks:

- Oulton Park
- Zandvoort
- Phillip Island
- Brands Hatch
- Oran Park
- Zolder
- expect all tracks currently on the Sprint Cup schedule to be out by the first half of next year

Brands looks to be the next track to be released.

#91 karlth

karlth

• 16,235 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:09

I'm wondering though what car they'll release along with Brands Hatch (if any). A Mustang or even a Ford GT really doesn't fit there.

#92 Exar Kun

Exar Kun

• 1,169 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:41

I'd like it if there were no new cars in the next build. No new series to distract people. We have a pretty solid line up now. Admittedly, the tin-top crowd would probably like to see the Mustang or GT out (Falcon definitely won't be coming next build). I forgot the Indy Lights car which would make a better B-class open wheeler than the Lotus but I don't really want even more series.

#93 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 05:41

Just did a quick taste of next weeks stuff....

sebring....farking hell. Ive never driven the place in any game, and dont think ive even seen it on TV. Its like 'heres 50 sq.km of concrete, and theres a triple apex corner in there somewhere...good luck! Oh, same thing after the next straight, but left instead.'

WG in a SRF, damn thats fun.

#94 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,835 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:12

It needs like a Porsche Supercup or GT3 car. Maybe a BMW WTCC, something in that category. A proper race car, but not something absurd like a Lotus/Indycar/DP/Corvette.

#95 Mat

Mat

• 7,674 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:54

It needs like a Porsche Supercup or GT3 car. Maybe a BMW WTCC, something in that category. A proper race car, but not something absurd like a Lotus/Indycar/DP/Corvette.

I would love a Porsche Supercup and WTCC series! Also, a World Series by Renault/GP2/F2 would be cool, even if similar to the Skip Barber and Star Mazda. They could do a european track series. 

Edited by Mat, 07 December 2009 - 11:20.

#96 karlth

karlth

• 16,235 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:33

WG in a SRF, damn thats fun.

I'm practicing there too, the races should be great! Are you participating in a division?

#97 karlth

karlth

• 16,235 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:38

I'd like it if there were no new cars in the next build. No new series to distract people. We have a pretty solid line up now. Admittedly, the tin-top crowd would probably like to see the Mustang or GT out (Falcon definitely won't be coming next build). I forgot the Indy Lights car which would make a better B-class open wheeler than the Lotus but I don't really want even more series.

I'm wondering if iRacing is perhaps thinking of implementing new series as multi class. If so then a new car wouldn't automatically start a new series.

#98 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 19:30

I'm practicing there too, the races should be great! Are you participating in a division?

The couple of races results from laguna this week show me in division 5. Thats just for the 'championship' isnt it? the races i was in had guys from all different divisions.

Im not sure if its good or bad, but i had some decent road results earlier this week (mainly thanks to just not binning it), and suddenly found myself getting in the higher splits, and ive noticed the differences.
Same with ovals actually, ive been in the top 1 or 2 split out of 6 or 7 at sobo lately, and that extra 1/10th difference makes life hard. Its probably not bad for overall development, but it sucks for the ego.
Having said that, my first 2 skippy races, i got a 6th and a 5th in like 15 car fields, so it could be worse.

#99 karlth

karlth

• 16,235 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 07:51

The couple of races results from laguna this week show me in division 5. Thats just for the 'championship' isnt it? the races i was in had guys from all different divisions.

Yes and the competition is tough.

I have probably learned more about driving fast during this season of Spec Ford than in all my years of racing simulators since 1996.

Advertisement

#100 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,224 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 15:03

Im loving the competitive but fair nature in iRacing and mostly with very considerate drivers. Way more than N2003 used to have and. Only thing that gets close is LFS and how GPL used to be. Even LFS is hard to find good clean drivers these days. Only seen one wrecker so far in iRacing.

Did my first race at Oxford Plains in the fully blown version of the Legend last night and boy was it fun. I honestly never thought driving in a circle could be so much fun. Theres a real skill and reward in getting a good lap together there, its almost like speedway on 4 wheels being in a slight drift the whole time and can never plant the throttle, has to be caressed. Had started near the back and worked my way up to 2nd by lap 30 and caught the leader. We managed a lap or so side by side with me inside and i ran a little wide on the exit and we touched ending my race and ruined chances of a good score. I need the foresight of hindsight in those situations!

Ended like this instead (if you can see this)

http://members.iraci...mp;custid=37023

Edited by Tenmantaylor, 08 December 2009 - 15:04.