* * * * - 6 votes

iRacing.com

• Please log in to reply
2019 replies to this topic

#1751 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 22:05

Just had a qualifying session in the mx-5's around okayama and one of the drivers names caught my eye, Kevin Korjus! And yes it was THE Kevin Korjus, unsurprisingly he was pretty rapid and posted a 1:01.6xx (compared to my .8) iRacing is awesome for this sort of stuff! :D

EDIT: Just been doing some practise in the SM around Spa and low and behold Richard Westbrook was in the session :D Enjoying driving the SM and getting a bit more used to it, still very slow though! Need to get my head around setting the car up, started with the mid-down force set up, dropped the ride height a bit and lowered the wings which helped followed by adding a touch of toe, lots to learn! P.B. was a 2:18.9xx and can run in the low 19s consistently but compared with Tenman/the quick guys i'm nowhere! haha.

Edited by olliek88, 22 January 2012 - 18:03.

Advertisement

#1752 Andy865

Andy865

• 2,447 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 22:20

Indeed, I was watching a friend do some nascar on it the other week and villenueve was in the room!

#1753 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,239 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 23:25

Good going Ollie, Spa is a long lap so you could easily gain a second improving 2/3 corners.

So the sm season is over and I just came up short behind diego for 2nd in division 2 and 5th overall. Really happy but racing for points can detract from the iracing experience as you put pressure on your self to perform in just 1/2 popular races a week rather than racing when is convenient. Is realistic though, lining up on the grid next to title rivals can be nerve inducing!

#1754 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,639 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:04

from what i remmber the star mazda is pretty sensistive to toe in and out, think I typicaly ran with -.02 of toe front and rear, that made it more stable for me.

#1755 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 18:44

Cheers Tenman! Finishing P5 overall is massively impressive, never mind the fact SM is one of the most popular series on iRacing, great stuff!

Sites currently down for the new update, should be back up in about 6 hours.

The Star Mazda is going to get the NTM which will be interesting, will be nice to see the difference between the OTM and NTM for myself as its the first time i'd have driven the OTM on a car before its switched to the NTM. The Riley DP might get the NTM aswell and they're also tweaking the NTM itself a bit with a slightly stiffer side wall.

Outside of the core changes they're apparently adding more spotter files, letting you know about crashes, lap times and where the leader is, plus there could be brake glow and and backfires.

All the info plus more at >>> iRacerstuff.com

Edited by olliek88, 30 January 2012 - 19:21.

#1756 AcuraF1

AcuraF1

• 1,914 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 23:36

I just drove the SM with the NTM for the first time (in a race no less)...what a difference - I'm 2 seconds slower than my best time with the OTM - I have a lot of work ahead of me!

#1757 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,331 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 18:02

3 months for $9 !! :eek: :eek:

https://members.irac...n_code=PR-3for9

#1758 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,331 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 18:05

Out of interest, does anyone play this game with a ps2 style analogue gamepad? I know that F1 would be impossible, same for Indy, but lower class cars should be doable.

#1759 MaxScelerate

MaxScelerate

• 4,264 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 00:20

Yeah, there are a few threads with people commenting on using dual analogue sticks or similar controllers.. Some people regard it with disdain, in a "you can't drive smooth with that" way and it should be banned, but then others will say that there are some people who are very smooth with it and then there are handicapped people racing the game with all sorts of contraptions and being quite good at it.

I say try it, see if you like (at less than 10 bucks, it'd be no big loss if you don't) and then get sucked into buying a wheel because, frankly, you'll want one. :p

Advertisement

#1760 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,331 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 21:03

Yeah, there are a few threads with people commenting on using dual analogue sticks or similar controllers.. Some people regard it with disdain, in a "you can't drive smooth with that" way and it should be banned, but then others will say that there are some people who are very smooth with it and then there are handicapped people racing the game with all sorts of contraptions and being quite good at it.

I say try it, see if you like (at less than 10 bucks, it'd be no big loss if you don't) and then get sucked into buying a wheel because, frankly, you'll want one. :p

yeah I've actually got a G25 wheel but I don't have the space to keep it permanently hooked up and I use this computer for everything and, frankly, can't be bothered to set up the steering wheel each time I want to go for a spin. I'm quite a casual gamer like that, hence why I love Geoff Crammond games. They get you straight into the action of racecraft rather than p1ssing about with other things.

I do have a good dual analogue pad I even use for MS flight sim. I think I may give this iracing lark a go.... :D

btw I once played Nascar 2003 with such a gamepad and it was a joke, I kept wrecking. Impossible to keep in formation side by side through corners. You really need the instant minute correction of a wheel for that.

I was OK with Formula BMW in rfactor though. I really liked that car in that game. Maybe I will buy the iracing Skip Barber as well as the Mx-5. Most other cars seem fairly high powered or lacking in grip like stock cars and therefore too difficult to control.

Any ideas on good low powered cars that are slow and not so tail-happy?

Edited by rolf123, 08 February 2012 - 21:07.

#1761 MaxScelerate

MaxScelerate

• 4,264 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 23:25

Hmm, honest, if you couldn't keep it straight with pads on NASCAR 2003, you may be in for a harsh reality with iRacing. Same engineering team.

9$ will "only" get you the MX5, Solstice, Spec Racer (roadies) and Legends and Streetstock (ovals) with a few tracks to get to know the game.. But after a month you'll probably want more.

Still, for less than ten dollars, you haven't *that* much to lose. :)

Edited by MaxScelerate, 08 February 2012 - 23:29.

#1762 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 14:50

Heres a cracking little video for the iRacing WC >>> http://www.youtube.c...p;v=dkxt-Eyz7rU

Very well put together & a great song too.

#1763 AcuraF1

AcuraF1

• 1,914 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 13:00

I think I am done with the Star Mazda - the NTM makes it undrivable for me - no feel - sliding at every corner - it's just no fun anymore.

#1764 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,239 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 18:19

Completely agree. I posted my thoughts in the NTM feedback thread. Watching the fast laps now is like watching GPL aliens about 10 years ago, back end out before they've even started turning in, sliding all the time, spongy feedback. No formula car handles like that, they ruined it afaic. Quite a few guys who've driven the SM are stating this too which is pretty damning.

Racing the Dallara this season now, it's actually much easier and predictable to drive, bit like the otm sm with more power and grip, really fun.

#1765 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:32

Took part in the "Roar before the 2.4" last night in the MX-5, was going alright running P8 in class not pushing too hard trying not to make mistakes, then on the exit of the infield i misjudged how close a Jetta in front was, tried to avoid him but lost the rear and slammed into him, stupid error and sorry for the other guy, pitted for repairs and ended up P26.

Although i didn't drive the SM too much on the OTM i do agree that it doesn't feel as nice to drive now as it did before, however the small tweaks to the NTM have made the HPD even better to drive for me, really like driving it, once i finally get my license high enough i might do the fixed HPD/GT(?) series.

#1766 AcuraF1

AcuraF1

• 1,914 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 15:49

So what has everyone been up to? As I said earlier, I have given up on the Star Mazda, so I have been focusing on the FW31 lately, with a few Dallara and HPD races. All 3 of these cars are fun to drive, but my irating has been taking serious damage due to stupid mistakes in races on my part.

#1767 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 20:11

I started iRacing in November with the intention of going up through the open wheel road series. I want to do it properly though so it will take a while until I get to F1:).

I got to win top split races and finish top ten in points in the Mazda Cup so I've retired from that now and have started learning the Skip Barber in preparation for properly running in the series next season.

What I was surprised to find is how much of a BLAST I am having with nascar racing. I did one superspeedway race in the street stock and I was like HOLY HELL THIS IS FUN. So I'm doing it casually but I've gone up to the trucks so I can get the full "experience" including cautions, pit stop strategy etc.

#1768 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,239 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 22:25

Id skip the skippy (scuse the pun) and go straight to star mazda if your license allows and you want to get the feel for wings and slicks. The skippy isn't much higher performance than the MX5.

Interesting on the nascar experience. I used to really enjoy nr2003, maybe I should get into ovals a bit more for the close racing.

Recently moved up from starmazda to indy car and living it. Only downside is not done much racing as the scheduling isn't everyday like in sm so have drifted away last few weeks.

Edited by Tenmantaylor, 08 March 2012 - 22:27.

#1769 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 22:46

Here's a bit of gossip.. Barrichello has joined iRacing, apparently he's very much into sim racing.

Another iRacing member posted this:

He did a web chat / stream with TK last Saturday. I asked what he thought about iRacing and he said he was enjoying it and using it to learn Sebring.

a bit unrelated to iRacing but nice pics:
http://www.virtualr....f-his-sim-setup

Posted Image

#1770 karlth

karlth

• 16,238 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 23:41

Here's a bit of gossip.. Barrichello has joined iRacing, apparently he's very much into sim racing.

Nice!

Just did an Indycar race at Spa. The car surprised quite a bit, it was a lot more driveable and catchable then I thought.

#1771 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,239 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 23:57

Good news on Rubens. Wonder if he'll pop up in any of the Sebring Indy reaves this week. Gutted I missed Spa week, got a friend staying at the minute in the racing room (spare room!).

#1772 AcuraF1

AcuraF1

• 1,914 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 14:15

Does anybody here use iSpeed? Is it useful?

#1773 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,239 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 20:13

I havn't used it but heard many on iRacing forums saying how helpful it is. I used to use GPL replay analyser which was great for comparing your best laps to faster guys. And MoTec was amazing when I raced in the FSR championships, could analyse everything to optimize race setup ie check brake temps and engine temps to optimize vent sizes, tyre temps to alter setup etc. Havn't taken it so seriously in iRacing so far though.

#1774 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 21:20

Yes iSpeed is useful:) And you know you're really getting into sim racing when you spend an evening staring at telemetry :lol:

#1775 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 21:33

This looks like a great post regarding that:

http://members.iraci...st/1838954.page

I have saved the PDF into my hard disk, but haven't really had the time to look into it. Did a quick overlook and seems like good advice. The guy has a 5400 iRating so he should know :)

#1776 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,331 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 22:32

Hmm, honest, if you couldn't keep it straight with pads on NASCAR 2003, you may be in for a harsh reality with iRacing. Same engineering team.

9$ will "only" get you the MX5, Solstice, Spec Racer (roadies) and Legends and Streetstock (ovals) with a few tracks to get to know the game.. But after a month you'll probably want more.

Still, for less than ten dollars, you haven't *that* much to lose. :)

Seriously, noone could play that game with pads. It was impossible. They are just too sensitive. With camber and banked track, it's impossible.

But on a regular circuit, I was fine with pads. I think I will invest in iracing shortly and report back. Maybe I will dig that G25 out of storage after all. You only live once...

#1777 SPBHM

SPBHM

• 809 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 17:04

I'm trying Iracing finally, I got a free 1 month code from VirtualR, my experiences so far:

it's quite good, the Mazda MX-5 is quite easy and fun to drive, I did a few races on Okayama short, the first race was.. bad (but at least it served me to learn the track), I crashed and lost almost a minute on the pits, finished a lap behind in 8th... my fastest lap was around 1:05... the second race was a bit better, I only lost control some 3 times (all on the first lap..) but didn't crash anyone, finished in 6th some 50s behind....
the third was quite good, I finished in 3rd after some nice fights, near the winner, and to be honest I think I could beat the 2nd, but I was afraid to crash, that race was quite clean, I earned 0.69 "XP points" or whatever is called from that race alone, I spend most of the race at low 1:03 high 1:02 with my best at 1:02,1 I think... after that I tried a race at Laguna Seca, I was unimpressed when I discovered that the Pontiac was the slowest car (my best lap was around 1:48, while I did 1:44.8 with the MX-5) and I was starting in 14 or something... I finished in 12, after passing another Pontiac who spun on the last lap... I thought that was a bad result, but it turns out I won the race for my class! I also did some practices with that prototype, quite tricky to drive, but fun....
the Oval stuff really didn't work for me, I'm very slow at that and I get bored quite soon, but I'm always using the default setup, I don't even know if I can change anything.

#1778 MidKnight

MidKnight

• 65 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 16:34

I'm trying Iracing finally, I got a free 1 month code from VirtualR, my experiences so far:

it's quite good, the Mazda MX-5 is quite easy and fun to drive, I did a few races on Okayama short, the first race was.. bad (but at least it served me to learn the track), I crashed and lost almost a minute on the pits, finished a lap behind in 8th... my fastest lap was around 1:05... the second race was a bit better, I only lost control some 3 times (all on the first lap..) but didn't crash anyone, finished in 6th some 50s behind....
the third was quite good, I finished in 3rd after some nice fights, near the winner, and to be honest I think I could beat the 2nd, but I was afraid to crash, that race was quite clean, I earned 0.69 "XP points" or whatever is called from that race alone, I spend most of the race at low 1:03 high 1:02 with my best at 1:02,1 I think... after that I tried a race at Laguna Seca, I was unimpressed when I discovered that the Pontiac was the slowest car (my best lap was around 1:48, while I did 1:44.8 with the MX-5) and I was starting in 14 or something... I finished in 12, after passing another Pontiac who spun on the last lap... I thought that was a bad result, but it turns out I won the race for my class! I also did some practices with that prototype, quite tricky to drive, but fun....
the Oval stuff really didn't work for me, I'm very slow at that and I get bored quite soon, but I'm always using the default setup, I don't even know if I can change anything.

I start all rookie races both oval and road from the pitlane...you really do want to get up to a class C as soon as possible....in my opinion for fun factor the truck races on ovals and the higher horsepower sports cars like the riley corvette or ford gt is where the clean and fun racing is...the rookie classes are a nightmare get out of them as soon as you can...

#1779 SPBHM

SPBHM

• 809 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 17:50

I start all rookie races both oval and road from the pitlane...you really do want to get up to a class C as soon as possible....in my opinion for fun factor the truck races on ovals and the higher horsepower sports cars like the riley corvette or ford gt is where the clean and fun racing is...the rookie classes are a nightmare get out of them as soon as you can...

with my oval experience being so low the only thing I can drive is that "Ford 34 coupe", I don't really enjoy driving that car,
I tried to practice with that "street stock car", but the gear ratio is bad and I can't change it,

how do I start from the pitlane?

Advertisement

#1780 MidKnight

MidKnight

• 65 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 19:38

with my oval experience being so low the only thing I can drive is that "Ford 34 coupe", I don't really enjoy driving that car,
I tried to practice with that "street stock car", but the gear ratio is bad and I can't change it,

how do I start from the pitlane?

just don't grid up...let the timer run out then when the green button says missed start join the race at that point...it puts you in the pitlane, just make sure you don't speed when you come out...if you are running the lower splits in the miata even starting in the pitlane and running conservative 1:01s at limerock you end up 3rd or 4th by the end of the first lap...assuming you can pick your way through the first corner pileup without some bonehead coming back on the track and hitting you....

the streetstock is running the full charlotte oval right now; there has never been a better time to get your oval SR rating up...heck just time trial your way up...that oval is basically flat out in the street stock...

also in the street stock for short ovals make sure you change your steering ratio...some of them you need 8:1 just to make the turn...

#1781 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 14:31

woo! iRacing found a way to get a Porsche into the sim, sort of..

coming later this year: http://www.ruf-autom...-12-R.52918.php

#1782 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,239 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 15:16

The way Gran Turismo been getting around it for years ;)

#1783 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 16:09

I always wondered why Porches in GT were badged as "RUF" and now the same for iRacing, i take it Porsche aren't willing to hand out the license to them?

Not had as much running on iRacing as i'd like due to work commitments (BOO!) but possibly got a bit of time off over easter so hopefully i can get back on it then.

#1784 jee

jee

• 712 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:27

EA has exclusive Porsche license and everyone has to take sublicenses from them.

#1785 kanec

kanec

• 2,083 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 00:28

I'm looking into getting into iRacing and what you say raises an interesting question for me. After the 'initial rookie pack' cost how much extra are you looking at to be running in class C? I gather it probably varies... but what are you expecting to have to buy to run in that class well?

I'm probably looking to only run road courses. Is that flawed logic in terms of license progression?

#1786 MidKnight

MidKnight

• 65 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:10

I'm looking into getting into iRacing and what you say raises an interesting question for me. After the 'initial rookie pack' cost how much extra are you looking at to be running in class C? I gather it probably varies... but what are you expecting to have to buy to run in that class well?

I'm probably looking to only run road courses. Is that flawed logic in terms of license progression?

You can be pretty savvy with what you spend...there is some great racing to be had in the Mustang Cup and that car is pretty predictable, and a lot of people start in the skippy and that series is usually packed...it's the tracks that can rack up the dollars - I don't have them all for any given season accept a few series, but one thing they do that is a little annoying is they add a new track to the software then stuff it into a series are you already running, forcing you to buy the track to keep running all the races if that series if that is what you want to do week to week...I tend to just buy the tracks that I know and love from playing other driving games and when a series runs a track that i don't have and don't want to spend money on a drop back down to the rookie series for that week and just work on my SR...I am a pretty casual player though I don't really have the time to run a series...i also like to run hosted races whenever I can cause those are fun and there is no SR involved....

The tracks add up - and for sure it would be expensive to try and buy oval and road tracks...it all depends on what car you plan on running...

Edited by MidKnight, 01 April 2012 - 07:11.

#1787 kanec

kanec

• 2,083 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:59

You can be pretty savvy with what you spend...there is some great racing to be had in the Mustang Cup and that car is pretty predictable, and a lot of people start in the skippy and that series is usually packed...it's the tracks that can rack up the dollars - I don't have them all for any given season accept a few series, but one thing they do that is a little annoying is they add a new track to the software then stuff it into a series are you already running, forcing you to buy the track to keep running all the races if that series if that is what you want to do week to week...I tend to just buy the tracks that I know and love from playing other driving games and when a series runs a track that i don't have and don't want to spend money on a drop back down to the rookie series for that week and just work on my SR...I am a pretty casual player though I don't really have the time to run a series...i also like to run hosted races whenever I can cause those are fun and there is no SR involved....

The tracks add up - and for sure it would be expensive to try and buy oval and road tracks...it all depends on what car you plan on running...

Thanks for the info MidKnight. That's really helpful.

When you say having a packed series - I take it that's a good thing for opportunities to race? or is it the reverse situation?

That's a bit cheeky with the track stuffing while a series is going on.

I'm probably in the same boat as you in that regard though and will simply be playing casually as time affords.

Thanks again.

#1788 MidKnight

MidKnight

• 65 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 16:30

Thanks for the info MidKnight. That's really helpful.

When you say having a packed series - I take it that's a good thing for opportunities to race? or is it the reverse situation?

That's a bit cheeky with the track stuffing while a series is going on.

I'm probably in the same boat as you in that regard though and will simply be playing casually as time affords.

Thanks again.

yeah that is what i mean by packed - a lot of people are running the series...some of the series have no one playing them really and it's disappointing, for example some of the open wheel oval cars that I bought no one is really using...so you can never get a decent race...

for road racing the Skip Barber car is the most popular by far I just cant stand that car it has wicked snap over steer and if you dial in any under steer at all it makes you slow, the really good drivers are balancing that car in the knife edge to be fast and I just don't have the patience to practice for weeks and weeks on such a dog slow no fun car to drive...really the best value for the money is the Grand Touring cup but for me I don't have Outlon Park or Mosport so that is like 25 usd or whatever to have all the tracks for that series...if you are from somewhere that doesn't have oval racing so therefore you are not into it - FYI - i am a road racing guy who tried and loves the truck oval series because the best and cleanest races on iracing are there (plus i have seen Dale Earnhardt junior race there...it's clean accept when the short ovals are run - but then again i don't think there is such a thing as clean short oval racing...

my true opinion is that if cash and time is really the consideration...i would honestly just run the limerock races in the rookie miata and when that series goes to okyama i would skip that crash festival and buy the nascar cup car; Daytona, Talledega, and Charlotte tracks; and run the "carburetor" cup - that series is a "fun" series with a fixed setup car and there is no SR rating...and the drafting and pack racing is very fun...

also a lot of hosted races use the nascar cup car - daytona and talledega being very popular races people host...you dint find many idiot crashes in hosted races as the host will kick then out...

good luck and happy racing :)

#1789 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,239 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:42

Iracing on sunday brunch with the sky f1 girls, pinkham put it straight in the wall and simon going wrong the wrong way around watkins glen. Think they are in the dallara.

Edited by Tenmantaylor, 08 April 2012 - 10:43.

#1790 kanec

kanec

• 2,083 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:07

yeah that is what i mean by packed - a lot of people are running the series...some of the series have no one playing them really and it's disappointing, for example some of the open wheel oval cars that I bought no one is really using...so you can never get a decent race...

for road racing the Skip Barber car is the most popular by far I just cant stand that car it has wicked snap over steer and if you dial in any under steer at all it makes you slow, the really good drivers are balancing that car in the knife edge to be fast and I just don't have the patience to practice for weeks and weeks on such a dog slow no fun car to drive...really the best value for the money is the Grand Touring cup but for me I don't have Outlon Park or Mosport so that is like 25 usd or whatever to have all the tracks for that series...if you are from somewhere that doesn't have oval racing so therefore you are not into it - FYI - i am a road racing guy who tried and loves the truck oval series because the best and cleanest races on iracing are there (plus i have seen Dale Earnhardt junior race there...it's clean accept when the short ovals are run - but then again i don't think there is such a thing as clean short oval racing...

my true opinion is that if cash and time is really the consideration...i would honestly just run the limerock races in the rookie miata and when that series goes to okyama i would skip that crash festival and buy the nascar cup car; Daytona, Talledega, and Charlotte tracks; and run the "carburetor" cup - that series is a "fun" series with a fixed setup car and there is no SR rating...and the drafting and pack racing is very fun...

also a lot of hosted races use the nascar cup car - daytona and talledega being very popular races people host...you dint find many idiot crashes in hosted races as the host will kick then out...

good luck and happy racing :)

My word - you weren't wrong by Okayama being a crash festival! Really bizarre choice of track/car combo for a rookie session IMHO. I couldn't resist playing it this week though as I'm kinda getting into it and i've not really much option.

I managed to pick my way through the first lap carnage after allowing myself to go to the back of the field and somehow scored a win last night! I was clean throughout so that boosted the SR up quite a bit and I managed to hit Class D. I probably could get to Class C by the end of the month if I apply myself.

Now to ponder the next move in the next couple of weeks. I'll def. skip the Skip Barbers as you suggest. GT could be the way to go as you suggest.

#1791 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 17:28

IMO the Skippy is a great car and one of the best series, the top splits can be extremely challenging though, some guys have become sort of specialists of the series and would give the very best aliens a run for their money.

Totally unrelated, but it looks like the Cadillac CTS-V will be available next week during week 13, it's a free car IIRC.

#1792 kanec

kanec

• 2,083 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 19:39

IMO the Skippy is a great car and one of the best series, the top splits can be extremely challenging though, some guys have become sort of specialists of the series and would give the very best aliens a run for their money.

Totally unrelated, but it looks like the Cadillac CTS-V will be available next week during week 13, it's a free car IIRC.

That's a really interesting car to be bringing into the mix actually so not unrelated at all. Cheers.

I'm so on the fence. Part of me wants to go towards the Indy, the other part to the Grand Am. Going towards the Indy would kind of seem logical to progress via Skip -> Star Mazda -> Indy.

If i take a snapshot of the numbers right now then - the open wheelers are getting the numbers initially and then fading out down the classes. Whereas the tintops seem to have good numbers all the way down the line.

Maybe I'm just over thinking it. Probably, likely.

Doesn't matter right now I guess. I reckon I stick where I am atm and maybe go the multi series for the next bit.

#1793 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 14:17

That's a really interesting car to be bringing into the mix actually so not unrelated at all. Cheers.

I'm so on the fence. Part of me wants to go towards the Indy, the other part to the Grand Am. Going towards the Indy would kind of seem logical to progress via Skip -> Star Mazda -> Indy.

If i take a snapshot of the numbers right now then - the open wheelers are getting the numbers initially and then fading out down the classes. Whereas the tintops seem to have good numbers all the way down the line.

Maybe I'm just over thinking it. Probably, likely.

Doesn't matter right now I guess. I reckon I stick where I am atm and maybe go the multi series for the next bit.

I think the HPD is a great car to learn with too, very easy to drive & forgivable, plenty of downforce so good for learning not to scrub to much speed of at higher speeds & being smooth. Skippy i can't stand! Feels way to unpredictable and unstable for my liking. I used to like the Star Mazda before the NTM but now i don't feel so comfortable with it for some reason. The Indy is a good, fun car to drive, similarish to the HPD but not so forgiving and more BHP means its easier to break traction at lower speeds.

I think (if i finally meet my MPR ,after a cock up at the end of the last season!) i should get promoted to a C license tomorrow when this season ends, if thats the case i think i'll run in the Indy road series, maybe focusing on the fixed setup one first just to get a bit more on top of the car.

#1794 marcm

marcm

• 168 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:44

I think the HPD is a great car to learn with too, very easy to drive & forgivable, plenty of downforce so good for learning not to scrub to much speed of at higher speeds & being smooth. Skippy i can't stand! Feels way to unpredictable and unstable for my liking. I used to like the Star Mazda before the NTM but now i don't feel so comfortable with it for some reason. The Indy is a good, fun car to drive, similarish to the HPD but not so forgiving and more BHP means its easier to break traction at lower speeds.

I think (if i finally meet my MPR ,after a cock up at the end of the last season!) i should get promoted to a C license tomorrow when this season ends, if thats the case i think i'll run in the Indy road series, maybe focusing on the fixed setup one first just to get a bit more on top of the car.

I'm not sure where this Skippy hate is coming from - it is one of the best cars (if not the best) in the sim.

I can only assume those who dislike it have not tried it this season - the latest iteration of the new tyre model was a big improvement (the snap oversteer and unpredictability was largely down to the tyre sidewall not being stiff enough in previous versions.

If you still find it impossible to drive - then you may have gone the wrong way with the setup. A stiffer ARB makes the car a bit more stable under braking and you want the SPO to be in the 0-4 range (depending on the circuit) as if you have too much understeer you can actually end up with a snap oversteer situation when the rear lets go.

If after the above you still find it difficult to drive - then IMO it's the car you really NEED to be driving. It's a single seater so it is going to be more lively than a heavy tin top or a car with a lot of downforce, but the balance between power and grip means that it is the perfect tool to teach you how to drive a racing car properly. It will punish you if your technique is poor and reward you if you do things right. If you can drive the skippy well you'll be able to jump in anything and be quick.

#1795 kanec

kanec

• 2,083 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:31

I'm not sure where this Skippy hate is coming from - it is one of the best cars (if not the best) in the sim.

I can only assume those who dislike it have not tried it this season - the latest iteration of the new tyre model was a big improvement (the snap oversteer and unpredictability was largely down to the tyre sidewall not being stiff enough in previous versions.

If you still find it impossible to drive - then you may have gone the wrong way with the setup. A stiffer ARB makes the car a bit more stable under braking and you want the SPO to be in the 0-4 range (depending on the circuit) as if you have too much understeer you can actually end up with a snap oversteer situation when the rear lets go.

If after the above you still find it difficult to drive - then IMO it's the car you really NEED to be driving. It's a single seater so it is going to be more lively than a heavy tin top or a car with a lot of downforce, but the balance between power and grip means that it is the perfect tool to teach you how to drive a racing car properly. It will punish you if your technique is poor and reward you if you do things right. If you can drive the skippy well you'll be able to jump in anything and be quick.

I know there's been some varying opinions and as an outsider and novice it's been difficult to understand what-is-what.

I think I'm going to purchase the Skippy next and a couple of tracks in the series and give it a go. Hopefully, I won't suck at it. It does have some of the most appealing tracks for me in that series also.

#1796 MidKnight

MidKnight

• 65 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 15:04

There skippy hate is coming from having to spend way too much time on it. It's a training car in real live and if that is what you are into great but some of us have limited time to play a game and there are so many other options in iracing is terms of a proper racing car with plenty of horsepower and grip...the SRF to me is the same way...not everyone needs to drink the iracing koolaide and its pretty easy to fasttrack SR and drive a much more rewarding car like the star mazda or lotus...while this is subjective to me you have the miata the new cadillac the riley prototype the fort gt the corvette the aussie v8...etc etc...the slowstice SRF and skippy while i respect anyone who wants to race those for me are not why i spent so much damn money on a wheel and system with graphics...i want horsepower and fun factor...

Edited by MidKnight, 24 April 2012 - 15:06.

#1797 kanec

kanec

• 2,083 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 19:28

You both make good points. It's a shame you can't take them out for a test drive to get a feel for them.

#1798 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,239 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 13:11

The best thing about the Skippy IMo was the number of people racing it and the fact is was so slow it was a good equaliser. As far as driving pleasure goes I never really enjoyed it, going so slow shouldn't be such hard work :). In that respect it's a good training tool but I enjoyed Star Mazda so much more and it had/has just as many competitors. I really don't like the NTM on it however and have been driving the Dallara since. Hope they don't ruin that too.

#1799 kanec

kanec

• 2,083 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 13:49

Yeah I like the look of the Indy and ultimately where I'd like to try and get to at some point.

So, I've ended up going for the Skippy. The tracks really were quite compelling and I figured why not go and see for myself (at least this way I can understand a bit better maybe the opposing views). I don't think it will make me worse of a driver down the line anyhow.

I've not done many laps as yet (Watkins Glen/Boot) - Initially, I found I couldn't lean on the car very much mid corner so I made some set up changes while I'm learning the circuit (bit more -camber in the front, bit more pressure in the fronts and less of SPO and also softened the rear ARB).

That really seemed to help - maybe I lucked into an easier set up overall.

After a 20 odd lap session I had it down into the 1:13's and I just know some corners/sections are way, way off. I'm in that nice little phase of track learning where I know I can go quite a bit faster yet without too much effort.

Advertisement

#1800 karlth

karlth

• 16,238 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 15:36

Tried the Dallara with NTM in a hosted session at Watkins yesterday and it felt great.