* * * * - 6 votes

iRacing.com

• Please log in to reply
2057 replies to this topic

#1801 marcm

marcm

• 168 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 19:52

Yeah I like the look of the Indy and ultimately where I'd like to try and get to at some point.

So, I've ended up going for the Skippy. The tracks really were quite compelling and I figured why not go and see for myself (at least this way I can understand a bit better maybe the opposing views). I don't think it will make me worse of a driver down the line anyhow.

I've not done many laps as yet (Watkins Glen/Boot) - Initially, I found I couldn't lean on the car very much mid corner so I made some set up changes while I'm learning the circuit (bit more -camber in the front, bit more pressure in the fronts and less of SPO and also softened the rear ARB).

That really seemed to help - maybe I lucked into an easier set up overall.

After a 20 odd lap session I had it down into the 1:13's and I just know some corners/sections are way, way off. I'm in that nice little phase of track learning where I know I can go quite a bit faster yet without too much effort.

Interestingly the update for Season 2 was released yesterday which has made the car more stable off the throttle and quite different to the previous season. Another nice step improvement of the car.
Definitely worth revisiting for those that didn't get on with it previously

Advertisement

#1802 karlth

karlth

• 16,248 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 20:55

Interestingly the update for Season 2 was released yesterday which has made the car more stable off the throttle and quite different to the previous season. Another nice step improvement of the car.

I'll give it a whirl later but as others have mentioned the problem with the Skippy is that is just so dreadfully slow.

#1803 kanec

kanec

• 2,083 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 20:57

I didn't realise they continually evolve the cars - that's quite good.

I've found the car quite enjoyable to drive so far (can be tricky on the brakes). It gives good feedback when it's about to slip and I've found I can get out of serious trouble fairly consistently. The setup parameters are sensible also to learn that aspect with.

I'm not particular fast though and a bit hesitant on the throttle mid to late corner but it's a tonne more rewarding than say the MX-5.

I'll give it a whirl later but as others have mentioned the problem with the Skippy is that is just so dreadfully slow.

I guess it's maybe not as relevant to me not driving anything quicker. I best not buy a faster car for a bit! ;)

Edited by kanec, 25 April 2012 - 20:59.

#1804 judd

judd

• 116 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:37

What are people's oppinions of the Dallara on the NTM? I drove MX5, Skip and Star Mazda before and after the NTM and found it very hard to readjust. Over time the cars have come back to me, am I to expect the same thing form the Dallara?

#1805 karlth

karlth

• 16,248 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:23

What are people's oppinions of the Dallara on the NTM? I drove MX5, Skip and Star Mazda before and after the NTM and found it very hard to readjust. Over time the cars have come back to me, am I to expect the same thing form the Dallara?

The Dallara feels more "catchable" after the update. I've driven the Dallara a bit and adjusting for the NTM wasn't difficult at all.

#1806 kanec

kanec

• 2,083 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:37

A couple of you guys mentioned 'splits'. What does this mean? I'm guessing iRacing organises races based upon how fast someone is via qual or something?? Is this related to the 'division' I see on my profile?

Sorry for the noob question.

#1807 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,322 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 13:43

Maximum race size is 19 I believe. When number of racers per race time exceeds this a new race (or split) is create and there will be 10/11 in each. If these fill up a 3rd is created and so on. Have seen 4 splits in SM races on Sunday evenings before :)

#1808 kanec

kanec

• 2,083 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 18:15

As simple as that?! Thank you sir.

#1809 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:06

The Dallara feels more "catchable" after the update. I've driven the Dallara a bit and adjusting for the NTM wasn't difficult at all.

Tried the dallara around the Glen in prep for next season. Such a nice car to drive with the NTM, like you say very catchable and great feedback for what the car is doing. PB is only a 32.8 with the fixed setup, am able to be reasonably consistent in the low 33s too, can feel theres plenty more time to find though just gotta keep learning, no idea if my times are any good though!

#1810 kanec

kanec

• 2,083 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:52

Nice OllieK. The Indy does sound like a lot of fun. I quite like the Glen boot track and it would be a blast to do it with the Indy car.

Frustrating car the Skip. I can see where time is being lost but I just can't get to it.

I can do 11s yet be consistently 4tenths off in the first sector alone (for instance). Obviously, that's mainly going to be in the first corner.

I think it's a lot to do with braking too hard, for too long and being too long off the accelerator because I just can't feel the car settle in early enough. Probably a matter of needing more seat time.

#1811 marcm

marcm

• 168 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 20:31

Nice OllieK. The Indy does sound like a lot of fun. I quite like the Glen boot track and it would be a blast to do it with the Indy car.

Frustrating car the Skip. I can see where time is being lost but I just can't get to it.

I can do 11s yet be consistently 4tenths off in the first sector alone (for instance). Obviously, that's mainly going to be in the first corner.

I think it's a lot to do with braking too hard, for too long and being too long off the accelerator because I just can't feel the car settle in early enough. Probably a matter of needing more seat time.

Download ispeed and compare your laps to faster drivers. It is a really useful tool

Also head to the skippy forum - there is always a thread for the current circuit where some of the fastest drivers post tips, setups and videos of their quickest laps

You are probably right too - a combination of seat time and most people have a tendancy to try and brake too hard and too late in the skippy. It doesn't have massive amounts of power, so you have to be on the power nice and early to be quick. 11s aren't a bad time either for a rookie.

Edited by marcm, 30 April 2012 - 20:34.

#1812 kanec

kanec

• 2,083 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:18

Many thanks for the tips.

I've taken a look with iSpeed and yeah that first sector is where I'm just a wee bit slower on the transition with the accelerator and boy does it add up along the straight. Additionally, I'm braking way too hard but roughly in the right spot. Maybe sorting the braking out will give me that confidence. I'm seeing that all around the track and one or two corners I'm just completely effing it up.

I saw the thread you mentioned and it's handy that one of the fast guys brackets the times. I'm not terrible in terms of hot laps but we'll see how that translates to a stint.

Really enjoying the Skip though. I seem to be learning quite a bit.

Thanks again.

Edited by kanec, 01 May 2012 - 08:18.

#1813 kanec

kanec

• 2,083 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 20:12

Not going well. My iRating is taking a smacking.

4 races so far in the Skippy. Twice I was a peanut and got a stop-n-go (one of which I managed to get back to 4th). Then twice tagged from the back putting me out of the race with a 2 minute tow.

#1814 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 17:03

Had to see what the fuss was about with this iSpeed so downloaded it today. Already been a useful tool even after a few hours of running, the lap analyser is the biggest benefit for me, managed to see that i was being a bit too soft and too long on the brakes at a few corners around The Glen, the last corner in particular. Managed to get my optimum down to a 31.9 but still haven't improved my PB beyond a 32.8! Just can't string the sectors together when really pushing.

Had the dash style info set up on my Mac next to the monitor for my first race in the Indycar fixed series this afternoon, all was going well until all of a sudden my screen saver appeared instead of iSpeed, forgot to turn the damn screen saver off! :lol: :blush:

The race itself went ok, started from the pitlane as i just wanted a clean, trouble free race. Luckily i was in a lower split with most of the guys running a bit slower so managed to make a bit of progress, finishing P4 come the end despite a small brush with the barriers by "The Chute" after locking up on the way in, amazingly & thankfully got away with it.

Edited by olliek88, 05 May 2012 - 17:04.

#1815 100cc

100cc

• 3,163 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 14:38

I liked the Indy before the NTM - now I like it even more. It's just so much fun to drive.

Making the fixed setup at the 'Glen go fast was a great challenge. First few laps I drove if I though "holy understeer"... but then to get rid of the undertseer by changing driving style was just an awesome challenge.

It's a shame the series doesn't have more participation (particularly the open setup series). Open had one proper race and that's at about 3:30am my time on Satruday morning.

Maybe this week will have more in the open since there is no fixed road - although Brands isn't exactly great for racing.

I've grown to dislike the Skippy the more I drive it. It just requires so much throttle under braking to keep the rear stable - definitely something wrong there. Another problem is that it is so different to drive to the Indy and F1 that it's impossible to jump from one to the other and stay fast!

Edited by 100cc, 07 May 2012 - 14:40.

#1816 kanec

kanec

• 2,083 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 16:12

I hope to be in the Indy if I can sort out getting to Class C. What you guys are saying makes a lot of sense to me now that I've driven it for a bit.

I think I'm ok speed wise in the Skip - I could be faster but wow does it require some diligence to go to that next notch. I ended up around 11.3's. My optimal was 10.2. My race pace ended up being slower towards the end of the week (mid 11's/low 12's).

I've grown to dislike the Skippy the more I drive it. It just requires so much throttle under braking to keep the rear stable

I set my brakes at around 54% and didn't have that problem so much under braking. I also found the Skip doesn't like a short firm brake (at least on WG) and I was ~40% braking for longer. I'm not fast though so maybe that is just dribble.

Another problem is that it is so different to drive to the Indy and F1 that it's impossible to jump from one to the other and stay fast!

This is the really tricky thing with this car IMHO. It requires quite a time investment to get a feel for the car again after even a short time of not driving it. I think that's got a lot to do with some of my bad races where I started going slower. i.e. Just hoping straight into a race without any pre-practice.

I'm such a rookie at this game though it could be talking complete trite. I do apologise if I'm spouting crap you guys already know.

On to learning Brands!

Edited by kanec, 07 May 2012 - 16:13.

#1817 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,322 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 16:51

Just thought I'd fire up iRacing for the first time in weeks to try out the NTM on the Dallara and site down for maintenance. Ruined my bank holiday afternoon!

#1818 kanec

kanec

• 2,083 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 17:03

Aye just did the same. Kids were out for the arvo too.

Edited by kanec, 07 May 2012 - 17:03.

#1819 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 4,049 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:03

I tried out Dallara for the first time since I won Indy 500. I used Ryan Norton's setup that wasn't the fastest, but was very consistent and allowed you to complete 200 laps with minimal mental effort. Oh, boy. I didn't know you could take Indy turns at 20 degree yaw angles. This is going to be a mess. At least default setups works, but it's s-l-o-w.

Advertisement

#1820 100cc

100cc

• 3,163 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 18:02

Indycar Road at Suzuka this week! Big race is on Friday GMT 19:30. Join the fun guys!

On Saturday 9:30 GMT, 17:30 GMT, and 19:30 GMT will be good as well.

9:30 GMT race has a separate championship with its own points system with $15 money prizes for best, most inc free, and a random one for all regular participants as well.

I'll do at least the Friday 19:30 and Saturday 9:30.

Spa next week!

#1821 100cc

100cc

• 3,163 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 19:00

Mr TenmanTaylor I expect to see you there! You had the 3rd best race lap at Dallara/Suzuka last season!

#1822 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 19:18

Mr TenmanTaylor I expect to see you there! You had the 3rd best race lap at Dallara/Suzuka last season!

Talking of which, raced with TenmanTaylor the other day in the Indy fixed series around Road America, actually started once place ahead of him in P2 (how, i don't know!) but once the lights went out he was gone, super fast! How he did a 49.3 in the race i don't know! :drunk:

Wasn't the worst or best race for me ever, too cautious at the start and an error on lap 3 dropped me to P5 but managed to get back up to P3 with a great last lap fight for it, was totally chuffed then i spotted Tenman finished some 18s in front of me in P2!

Still enjoying iRacing so much though, money well spent. Also one question, does anybody race with the fanatec clubsport pedals? I've got a standard G27 and am happy with the wheel but the pedals feel like they're getting a bit too soft for me, ta.

#1823 100cc

100cc

• 3,163 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 19:38

Also one question, does anybody race with the fanatec clubsport pedals? I've got a standard G27 and am happy with the wheel but the pedals feel like they're getting a bit too soft for me, ta.

I use DFGT + ECCI pedals, or G27 (and pedals) depending on where I am.

I'm the same pace on both I think. Takes a while to get used to the brake mainly. If you're looking to improve your times with better pedals you probably won't find it - the G27 brake is decent. Using the ECCI pedals is a lot more enjoyable though. Don't have to be so damn gentle, and they don't move around at all.

I haven't tried clubsports though.

#1824 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 20:12

I use DFGT + ECCI pedals, or G27 (and pedals) depending on where I am.

I'm the same pace on both I think. Takes a while to get used to the brake mainly. If you're looking to improve your times with better pedals you probably won't find it - the G27 brake is decent. Using the ECCI pedals is a lot more enjoyable though. Don't have to be so damn gentle, and they don't move around at all.

I haven't tried clubsports though.

Thanks. :)

Just googled the ECCI pedals and they looked very impressive! Tempting.

And i've no doubt your right about different pedals not improving my times but i'll try anything to make up for my lack of talent! :D I'll probably keep looking around before i decide what to do and i read theres a new version of the clubsports coming out so i'll wait and see what the opinion of them is before i commit to anything.

#1825 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,322 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 21:39

Hi Ollie , bog standard G25 setup here :wave:

Love Road America, only did 1 qual session to get up to speed and that was my 2nd race. Found a nice rhythm towards the end but made a few too many mistakes early on and couldn't catch the leader. Was 1-4 s behind him the whole race.

I'm usually good at starts Ollie as Mikko will testify ;) http://www.youtube.c...mp;feature=plcp I'm sure he'll point out he won the race though :lol:

As I said in the iRacing forums going on holiday for over two weeks from tomorrow so will miss both my favourite tracks, gutted! Good luck to you both. On the plus side I'll be on a beacj in thailand drinking coconut milkshakes and eating tom yum soup.

Edited by Tenmantaylor, 24 May 2012 - 21:53.

#1826 kanec

kanec

• 2,083 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 13:14

Really nice vid Tenman. That's really made me look forward to the Indy car even more. I'd purchase it now but fear that I'll just stick to it in praccy runs and not go through the Skippy races atm trying to build up my license level.;)

Those on the fence re. the Skippy. From a novice: It's a great little car to drive, you can really learn a lot in 4 weeks with it and I know that the next track I will approach differently because of what I learn with every 5th lap that I do. Setup changes are evident to feel (no meaningful laptime benefit in mid-alterations) and the competitors are a good bunch. It's a good series and I'm still enjoying it and doing better than I expected. I'm in 4th division and there's some handy drivers around in that split.

Many thanks to Ollie, Marc and MidKnight for giving me some good advice earlier. Cheers guys.

#1827 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 14:31

I am on a bit of a break from iRacing right now but I was also getting started with the Skip. I have to agree that it really isn't that much fun to drive but I want to push myself to go through the series exactly because it pushes you to learn certain techniques.

From videos I've seen, it seems to me it really is all about the so called left foot braking(which I do anyway), aka being on the throttle while on the brake in corners, which allows you to throw the car in there while avoiding the rear wheels locking and the engine braking since if either of these two happen the rear end will go around on you.

I am quite naturally fast when it comes to racing but a pretty much a noob with cars in the real world so there are tons of techniques I need to learn. Hell, I don't even use a clutch yet (in iracing not the real world, I am not THAT much of a noob) let alone do things like heel-and-toe. Wish I had a wheel with clutch paddles so I could just learn to use that instead of the foot clutch or button clutch which some people use but I don't really like the idea of.

#1828 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,322 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 15:24

I honestly don't think the skip teaches you techniques that will come in useful in higher formula cars as it has so little grip, both from the treaded tyres and the negligible levels of downforce. I found out a lot more difficult to drive than the SM. I really think iRacing should introduce a Formula Ford that has no wings but does have slicks and a pokier motor.

#1829 100cc

100cc

• 3,163 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:35

it seems to me it really is all about the so called left foot braking(which I do anyway), aka being on the throttle while on the brake in corners

Left foot braking = using the left foot to brake.
Throttle braking = using throttle while braking.

It's not necessary to be fast - but it doesn't seem to help.

I could be very fast in the Skippy on certain tracks but struggled at others where throttle braking was a big help.

In the F1 and Indy among others you can be very fast without any throttle braking - as in WR fast. I'm saying this so that you know it's not something you have to learn to be fast.

I never wanted to learn it because it's not a real life technique to the extent that it can be used on iRacing.

#1830 Youichi

Youichi

• 2,999 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:39

I've been thinking about signing up, but I'm not sure my wheel is supported.

Does anyone use a Logitech Driving Force GT ?

Also does anyone run iRacing under Linux ? The disadvantage of having Official forums, is non-members can't get answers to questions like these before they sign up.

Feel free to PM me your email address for the referrer $.

#1831 100cc

100cc

• 3,163 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:55

Does anyone use a Logitech Driving Force GT ?

Also does anyone run iRacing under Linux ? The disadvantage of having Official forums, is non-members can't get answers to questions like these before they sign up.

I use the DFGT. Works fine. A lot of the very best drivers use the DFGT - usually with better pedals though.

iRacing doesn't run on Linux.

Sending a pm ;).

I'll also put links to a few promo codes here you should consider in just a bit when I find them.

#1832 100cc

100cc

• 3,163 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:03

The second one isn't a big promo over the normal 3 months for $5. I recommend the first one ;). The IndyCar is awesome, and you get 3 extra tracks that are used in a lot of series'. It's a promo that is shown only on the non-english versions of iRacing's home page.

Promo Code: PR-1488
1 year basic membership with the FW31 - Dallara - and three tracks - $88
A discounted one-year membership for new members including FW31, Dallara IndyCar, Indianapolis, Silverstone, Zandvoort.

Promo Code: PR-GPWire
3 months with the Williams FW31 - Silverstone - and Zandvoort. - $35
A discounted 3 month basic subscription for new members only including the Williams FW31 GP Car, Silverstone and Zandvoort.

Edited by 100cc, 05 June 2012 - 12:06.

#1833 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 14:12

Left foot braking = using the left foot to brake.
Throttle braking = using throttle while braking.

It's not necessary to be fast - but it doesn't seem to help.

I could be very fast in the Skippy on certain tracks but struggled at others where throttle braking was a big help.

In the F1 and Indy among others you can be very fast without any throttle braking - as in WR fast. I'm saying this so that you know it's not something you have to learn to be fast.

I never wanted to learn it because it's not a real life technique to the extent that it can be used on iRacing.

yes of course, left foot braking is kind of synonymous with throttle braking as throttle braking is the reason most people left foot brake.

Yeah I agree with what you said, I was being specific to the Skippy. From videos and telemetry I've seen you can't go really fast without throttle braking. And I agree it's testing my patience but I still want to run the series for a couple of seasons at least.

BTW, I also use the DFGT at the moment, albeit with Clubsport pedals.

#1834 100cc

100cc

• 3,163 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 15:34

yes of course, left foot braking is kind of synonymous with throttle braking as throttle braking is the reason most people left foot brake.

I don't quite agree. Most people left foot brake because they cut down the transition time from throttle to brake, and can get more consistent braking because they use their right foot to blip rather than heel-toe. In real life throttle braking is almost non-existent yet left foot braking is still the norm (in any dog-box cars).

From videos and telemetry I've seen you can't go really fast without throttle braking.

I was 3rd overall in qual and fastest race lap at Laguna Seca 2011 Season 3 without throttle braking ;). I consider that fairly fast. I don't know if the Skippy has gotten worse lately though.

Don't let the thought of "no throttle braking = slow" get to your head. You might mentally stop finding the pace from elsewhere if you think you're handicapped from the onset because you don't throttle brake.

But I do completely agree that being proficient in the technique is an advantage. I used to think it was a big advantage, but once I got faster I realised it wasn't as bad as I thought. I think depending on the track it is only less than 1 tenth to about 3 tenths in the cars that benefit from it.

A lot of the iRacing cars are just inherently too loose on entry which makes t-braking effective. It's the main reason I steer clear of the Star Mazda and Skippy now.

Not using the technique will benefit you if you drive the Indy or F1 because you'll use less fuel. In the Indy at Suzuka the guys that were throttle braking had to save fuel a fair bit to make it without a stop. I just had to short-shift a tad for part of the race and was good to go.

Edited by 100cc, 05 June 2012 - 16:10.

#1835 Red17

Red17

• 3,389 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 16:55

A lot of the very best drivers use the DFGT - usually with better pedals though.

OT, but as an user of a DFGT I need to ask. Do they just plug in the pedals, or is some sort of modification required?

#1836 100cc

100cc

• 3,163 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 16:59

OT, but as an user of a DFGT I need to ask. Do they just plug in the pedals, or is some sort of modification required?

The pedals plug in as a separate USB device or with a special cable they might plug into the wheel. Depends on the pedals.

I have ECCI pedals with a standalone USB cable.

#1837 100cc

100cc

• 3,163 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 18:15

Welcome to iRacing Youichi :).

I recommend you actually go through and read the introduction stuff when you install the game so that you know how everything works, as well as the full "sporting code" under "references."

I had a cursory look over them when I started - but some things still had me confused. It's a good idea to go over it again later.

#1838 Youichi

Youichi

• 2,999 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 19:52

Welcome to iRacing Youichi :).

I recommend you actually go through and read the introduction stuff when you install the game so that you know how everything works, as well as the full "sporting code" under "references."

I had a cursory look over them when I started - but some things still had me confused. It's a good idea to go over it again later.

Thanks 100cc :)

I read them whilst I was awiting for the installer to download, now I'm reading the in-depth Sporting Code, whilst it patches.....

I've calibrated my wheel, but I'm not sure its right as I onl seem to have 270 degrees, rather than 900....I've not used it on a PC before ( GT5/PS3 rules ! )

I suspect it will be a while before I escape the rookie classes.

#1839 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 20:02

Thanks 100cc :)

I read them whilst I was awiting for the installer to download, now I'm reading the in-depth Sporting Code, whilst it patches.....

I've calibrated my wheel, but I'm not sure its right as I onl seem to have 270 degrees, rather than 900....I've not used it on a PC before ( GT5/PS3 rules ! )

I suspect it will be a while before I escape the rookie classes.

The cars have different steering locks even if you calibrate to 900 degree, this is normal.

Advertisement

#1840 100cc

100cc

• 3,163 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 21:21

If you're only getting about 270° of movement from lock to lock even when you're not in the game, then it is the wheel's settings in windowns. Windows settings should read 900, and if you go through the calibration on iRacing it should also read 900 - or close to it (887 or similar). Then it is good for all cars.

The main thing in the rookie class is to finish the races. If you finish you will likely end up quite high, which will improve your iRating, and you'll race against better/faster drivers.

Both your safety rating and iRating is always being counted. iRating won't be shown but it is being counted all the time.

#1841 Youichi

Youichi

• 2,999 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 15:02

If you're only getting about 270° of movement from lock to lock even when you're not in the game, then it is the wheel's settings in windowns. Windows settings should read 900, and if you go through the calibration on iRacing it should also read 900 - or close to it (887 or similar). Then it is good for all cars.

The main thing in the rookie class is to finish the races. If you finish you will likely end up quite high, which will improve your iRating, and you'll race against better/faster drivers.

Both your safety rating and iRating is always being counted. iRating won't be shown but it is being counted all the time.

I'll reinstall the logitech drivers, the wheel won't even appear in the profiler.

I did nearly 2 hours last night, in the Solstice around Lime Rock, I haven't struggled so badly in a sim since REVS on my BBC micro (one for our older listeners).

I must confess to being confused by the website, I was trying to workout which car/track the rookie series were using this week, so I could practice that track/car before trying a race, but I seem to have picked the wrong car and track :(

I've spent most of the day reading the beginers guides on the official forums (don't tell the boss), and I think I've got the hang of SR/iRating/licenses etc. I just need seat time.....

#1842 100cc

100cc

• 3,163 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 22:29

It does get a while to get used to the way the cars handle on iRacing. They are definitely a bit more difficult than they should be at the moment but every three months there's an update so the sim is always evolving.

I must confess to being confused by the website, I was trying to workout which car/track the rookie series were using this week, so I could practice that track/car before trying a race, but I seem to have picked the wrong car and track :(

The Mazda Cup is the main rookie series that alternates on only two (base package) tracks. It uses the roadster and cup. Cup seems to be favored because supposedly it is faster (used to be slower). I'm faster in the roadster and it requires less shifting.

The easiest way to make sure you're practicing the correct track is to click on "race now" and then "test this car". This way you will have the correct setup used if it's a fixed series and the correct track for sure. Or you can join an online practice server where you dont lose any safety rating but can drive with others on track.

Edited by 100cc, 06 June 2012 - 22:29.

#1843 Youichi

Youichi

• 2,999 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:32

The easiest way to make sure you're practicing the correct track is to click on "race now" and then "test this car". This way you will have the correct setup used if it's a fixed series and the correct track for sure. Or you can join an online practice server where you dont lose any safety rating but can drive with others on track.

I was practicing initialy with the MX5 roadster, but I prefer the MX5 Cup car, as the brakes are better.

I followed the advice on one of the beginer's guide, and joined an online practice session as a ghost car. It got me used to the spotter, and how to behave around other cars, without me getting in anyones way. It also let me see how badly other people were doing :)

I then did a second practice session where I joined in properly, and managed to not hit anyone in a full hours session, as well as ending up 10th out of 14 in the times, which was nice.

I also did an oval (ghosted) practice in the legends, on a half mile track, and managed 20 laps with no Inc, I was quite surprised how difficult it was to find the line, there were acres of tarmac, and I found it difficult to get any visual clues as to where to turn in etc.

Enjoying it so far :up:

If anyone else wants to try iRacing, they are offering a free month trial, courtesy of Travis Pastrana. ( 2 days AFTER I cough up the dough :mad: )

http://www.iracing.com/tp/

#1844 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 17:39

I was practicing initialy with the MX5 roadster, but I prefer the MX5 Cup car, as the brakes are better.

I followed the advice on one of the beginer's guide, and joined an online practice session as a ghost car. It got me used to the spotter, and how to behave around other cars, without me getting in anyones way. It also let me see how badly other people were doing :)

I then did a second practice session where I joined in properly, and managed to not hit anyone in a full hours session, as well as ending up 10th out of 14 in the times, which was nice.

I also did an oval (ghosted) practice in the legends, on a half mile track, and managed 20 laps with no Inc, I was quite surprised how difficult it was to find the line, there were acres of tarmac, and I found it difficult to get any visual clues as to where to turn in etc.

Enjoying it so far :up:

If anyone else wants to try iRacing, they are offering a free month trial, courtesy of Travis Pastrana. ( 2 days AFTER I cough up the dough :mad: )

http://www.iracing.com/tp/

Great stuff!

Its only natural to look at your times but at the start theres so much to learn i wouldn't pay too much attention to them. The lower class are also very competitive so the best way to get some good results on the races is what 100cc says, finish the race & try to focus on making as few mistakes as possible. Consistency is important.

The racing on iRacing is generally very clean and fair which makes it so much more enjoyable, although there's always the odd Ayrton "Run you off track" Senna but thats a minority. Also if you want to make sure your first races are relatively clean you can start from the pitlane to try and avoid any T1 mess, which isn't uncommon around Lime Rock.

Had a decent season in the Indy fixed series so far, top of Div4 by about 60+ points and last time i checked P17 overall which is a good start, starting both my races at Watkins Glenn from the pitlane is a slight regret as i perhaps could of picked up a few more points but oh well.

Really loved Spa last week, not sure if it was the layout or me getting more on top of the Dallara but was much more competitive and nearer to the uber quick guys. PB was a 2:00.8 and ran in the low 1s during the race, and ended up finishing P3 right with P2, made a half hearted move into the bus stop on the last lap ( A little like Bianchi on Bird ) fortunately i didn't make contact but a really enjoyable race & heart in mouth stuff.

Need to learn Barber now.

Edited by olliek88, 07 June 2012 - 17:40.

#1845 100cc

100cc

• 3,163 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 22:28

The ghost races are a great way to get a feel for the racing.

The free 1 month trial is a great find. Hopefully some more AtlasF1ers try iRacing out.

Need to learn Barber now.

Uagh. I drove a few laps and this place is going to take ages to get right. There are so few reference points to use in so many parts that makes learning the track take a lot of time. Infineon seems like a breeze by comparison - and it's fun.

Any reason you don't do any IndyCar open races? It's on only 3 days a week but there's plenty of races that get drivers if you check the forum thread/race planner.

The fixed sets are often good, especially if you tweak the wings for more downforce. Nico Brandt shares good sets on the forums as well which are competitive.

#1846 kanec

kanec

• 2,083 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:18

I honestly don't think the skip teaches you techniques that will come in useful in higher formula cars as it has so little grip, both from the treaded tyres and the negligible levels of downforce. I found out a lot more difficult to drive than the SM. I really think iRacing should introduce a Formula Ford that has no wings but does have slicks and a pokier motor.

Obviously, I don't know how it compares down the line because I'm still a rookie in this and not seen much of the other cars. More grip would be nice. It's always good to here someone with a bit more experience as I hope that can help me pick up where to go next tbh.

Saying that though, from my perspective I've learnt a great deal from the Skips. Be that in terms of having to handle a car (that can be quite skittish) amongst a field for instance. I hope that will hold me in good stead later on. I think the problem kinda is there's nowhere else to go.

I saw those new Formula Fords at Brands a few weeks ago. They looked a treat and oddly enough when I saw them wished I had one of those over the F3000 in iRacing.

Ollie, top of the division! That's cracking. Keep it up!

#1847 Youichi

Youichi

• 2,999 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:58

I had three races last night, 1st race of ten people, I started from the pitlane, was 4th at the end of the 1st lap ! Finnished 6th in the end, with 10 incs :blush: although 6 of those were being collected when being lapped. Second race I finnished 9th of 11 with only 3incs, Third race 7th of 11, 5 incs, 4from being hit by a lapper, who then proceded to complain about me being blind, he was the 2nd of two cars overtaking me, I let the first one through, and he divebombed me trying to not loose any time. I just ignored him. I improved my SR in each of them though.

The biggest problem I've had is with "skew", 2 or 3 times each race, the little skew bar goes red, the screen freezes up, and I can't see anything, I just have to jam the brakes on and hope, and it takes 10-15 seconds to catch up, then every thing is fine again.

After the first race, I dugout my 30 ft LAN cable and used that instead of wireless, after the 2nd race I configured the NIC to have a static IP, and after the 3rd I updated my GFX drivers. Any other bright ideas ? I had no problems with the online practice sessions I did :mad:

EDIT: None of the races had Qualifying ? is this normal in rookie races, or just I just join too late ? There was a 5 min warm-up session, but it didn't seem to set the grid. :confused:

Edited by Youichi, 08 June 2012 - 12:11.

#1848 100cc

100cc

• 3,163 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:23

I just ignored him.

:up:
Just do your best to make the passes possible - but you don't need to jump out of the way. If they start going nuts just mute the chat.

Any other bright ideas ?

Never had that problem so no idea.

EDIT: None of the races had Qualifying ? is this normal in rookie races, or just I just join too late ? There was a 5 min warm-up session, but it didn't seem to set the grid. :confused:

The qual sessions are separate. They are 20 minute sessions that run once every hour. You join them like you do a race. Your time is good for the entire week, and you can qual as many times as you like.

#1849 AcuraF1

AcuraF1

• 1,933 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:57

VIR in the FW31 is insane - ride the curbs to go fast, but do it wrong and you spin. My optimal is a high 1:25 and the aliens are getting 1:22s. Insane but fun.

#1850 Youichi

Youichi

• 2,999 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 15:30

:up:
Just do your best to make the passes possible - but you don't need to jump out of the way. If they start going nuts just mute the chat.

I already have the chat muted, as advised in the Beginners threads, its less distracting.

The qual sessions are separate. They are 20 minute sessions that run once every hour. You join them like you do a race. Your time is good for the entire week, and you can qual as many times as you like.

Ah, thanks for that, it makes more sense.

After some reading on the forums, I think my Skew issue is that my laptop isn't really up to the job. I've borrowed a Win7 CD from work to install on my main machine, which is a beast, so I'll try that.