* * * * - 6 votes

iRacing.com

• Please log in to reply
2019 replies to this topic

#151 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,237 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 19:46

Did some practice laps and things felt strange. Iracing is really one of those things that needs regular practice (duh). In the first race at Laguna, didn't get to qualify but had a nice pass into the corkscrew and another into the final corner. Best time was a 48.8 but was woefully inconsistant. Was headed for 3rd I think but lost concentration into the final corner of the race and ran wide onto the gravel and lost a place or two. Arghhhhh. The second race wasn't much better. It's the same problem I've had in other racing. When your on form and get a clean start, you can drive a perfect race pushing hard for every lap. But if you make a mistake and someone gets past, my decision making and "coolness under pressure" becomes awful. I ran wide again, another one slipped past. I overtook him back but then he dived back on the inside later in the lap. Then I tried to criss cross him getting a better exit but hit his rear. No damage but contact -4 SR. That bad exit gave more cars a run on me, and when I went to dive to the inside he was blocking and we both spun. This is the worst race I've had in iracing and copped a serious hit in SR points. STAY AWAY FROM ME if you want good SR. :rotfl:

I can relate to that well, happens to me too. Making a mistake usually happens from beeing out of rythm, a mistake is upsetting and I want to make up for the mistake in the next couple of corners/laps. But that leads to more mistakes. I first got to find back my rythm before I can push again.

I have read a very good book 'Speed secrets' from Ross Bentley, he also talks about this thing in the book and he recommends immediately forgetting the mistake, dont take the anger with you into the next couple of corners, because that doesnt help you at all. As soon as you made a mistake - you forget it already and move on and dont think about it anymore. Every second you think about the mistake will be bad for your concentration on whats following, so you just forget the mistake as soon as it happens and concentrate on whats next. Dont take any grudge with you on the following laps. I found that mind-state helped me alot when recovering from mistakes.

Advertisement

#152 Exar Kun

Exar Kun

• 1,169 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 00:02

I managed 40 laps at Infineon in the Dallara the other day without a single inc, so it can be done. If you are getting incs every race then you need to change the way you drive really. Take a look at Greger Huttu's stats - he averages less than 0.5 incs per race, yet has won 68 of his 71 races. It's not "slowing down" so much as changing how you approach things.

By driving in a way where you're never going off track, you generally become more consistent and, in turn, quicker. So it's win-win. :)

#153 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:25

Possibly a daft question, but hey, what else is new?

Im currently D3.97 on ovals, all thanks to the legends. I know i could jump in LM's or SK's, but TBH, the whole short track thing doesnt really float my boat. If i get up to Cx.x where im able to drive the truck, will that count for my MPR? Or do you HAVE to do 4 Races at each license level? Basically, Id like to skip the D level oval cars (and buying some crappy short tracks) and just go to the trucks if possible.

And I know its scraping the bottom of the barrel, but Im currently winning the SRF TT for the week in my division. Yay me :)

#154 Mat

Mat

• 7,674 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:44

Good job Nasty!

Im pretty sure you do need to complete your MPR for that licence. So for Ovals you need to run the SK or Late Model for atleast 4 TT's or 4 races i think. Wave your cursor over the MPR logo at the top and it will tell you what you need to do. You certainly do not need to race but TT's need to be completed.

I am a big fan of the short track racing so jumped straight in the SK and Late Model (also running the Advanced Legends when i can) for races. The races can be chaotic but fun and i have taken a hit on my SR but it is steadily going up so im not fussed. The Late Models are a blast but also easy to keep on the track. You should be fine TT'ing in the Late Model. 

Edited by Mat, 14 December 2009 - 10:45.

#155 Peat

Peat

• 1,199 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 11:02

Had a productive weekend SR wise. Fast-tracked to a D Class (D3.6 currently) for the Road Courses. Really love the Spec Ford car.

Started to shift some attention to the ovals for the time being, try and get ready for promotion. Chatting to the deep deep south Americans is fun too. A few wreckers in the rookie Legends though.... not cool.

Bought a Jetta ready for racing on Tuesday. Can't wait!

#156 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,203 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 14:00

Sounds good Peat let us know what you think of the Jetta.

This competition week has seen my Oval rating improve from Rookie upto D with an SR of 4.4 momentarily now Im back down at 3.6 (does that sound right or did i imagine it?) Got my Oval iRating of 2015 and ttrating of 1364 through too. At OxPLains in the adv legends I went from 10th to 3rd against some pro rated drivers the other night which was fun but I still suck at Lanier in the rookie car which I find really frustrating because its so easy to drive in comparison to the adv legends car at OxPlains. Just need to work on corner entry with a brake dab i think.

Not done much road courses this week as the ford spec racer series was at Watkins which required an extra purchase. Managed a few clean podium results at Laguna in the solstice to my road course SR upto 3.78 but still rookie. I love Watkins from GPL and N2003 so will prob buy it next time round, just thought Id concentrate on getting far with the original content and get used to the sim first, very easy to blow an extra £100 trying all the new cars and tracks and not getting the most out of them. Will be good to have the Spec Racer back next week (starts tomorrow?) and itll be my first time out at Summit Point too.

#157 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,087 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 15:55

I can relate to that well, happens to me too. Making a mistake usually happens from beeing out of rythm, a mistake is upsetting and I want to make up for the mistake in the next couple of corners/laps. But that leads to more mistakes. I first got to find back my rythm before I can push again.

I have read a very good book 'Speed secrets' from Ross Bentley, he also talks about this thing in the book and he recommends immediately forgetting the mistake, dont take the anger with you into the next couple of corners, because that doesnt help you at all. As soon as you made a mistake - you forget it already and move on and dont think about it anymore. Every second you think about the mistake will be bad for your concentration on whats following, so you just forget the mistake as soon as it happens and concentrate on whats next. Dont take any grudge with you on the following laps. I found that mind-state helped me alot when recovering from mistakes.

Thanks. Pretty good advice. It's things like this I really like about racing. It's tough but so rewarding when you get it right.

I managed 40 laps at Infineon in the Dallara the other day without a single inc, so it can be done. If you are getting incs every race then you need to change the way you drive really. Take a look at Greger Huttu's stats - he averages less than 0.5 incs per race, yet has won 68 of his 71 races. It's not "slowing down" so much as changing how you approach things.

By driving in a way where you're never going off track, you generally become more consistent and, in turn, quicker. So it's win-win. :)

It sounds sooo easy on paper. :p

For me, I've always tried to brake as late as possible, balance the car midcorner, and get onto the power as early as possible. Obviously with some cars it's different to others, some need a better exit then others (the slower cars usually), but I've always tried to follow this rule. At first it's difficult in the first practice laps and the car slides too much but then you start to reign it in and your window of error goes from being very wide to very narrow. To the point where it feels like you have the car on a string. So if I'm getting too many -1's I think it's because I don't have enough accuracy with the inputs. Knowing what's going to happen before it happens and responding to it quickly and accurately. Do you think this approach is wrong? I don't really know how to drive any other way. I'm not sure what to change, other then "practicing".

Having reread your post, if your talking about "off track" as in into the gravel, that's easier to fix. It really stuffs up any rhythm you have or trying to build. Speaking of rhythm, do the top guys your talking about start off with a bit of a margin of error and gradually get closer to it, or do they approach the first corners of the race 100% attack?

#158 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 20:45

Watkins Glen is well worth the 15 bucks. I grabbed it when i grabbed the skippy coz it was comming up in the championship, but Ive had a blast around there in the SRF. Dont know why, its not like it hasnt been in GPL or the nascar series...ive run the place to death before. But in the SRF atleast it feels real....i dunno. You get into a great rhythm, and just kind of drive with your fingertips and right foot and float it around. Its about the first track ive raced where i dont have a deathgrip on the wheel. It helps that ive been reasonably quick as well.

I got a great race yesterday there. Was in a 2100 SR field (im still hovering around 1600), and was about 8th heading into the bus stop or whatever its called on lap one and there was CARNAGE. P2 dropped it on exit, everyone else half spun, or fully lost it, a big wide lane opened up and i slithered through with a 1X and ended in 2nd. Got mugged in the last few laps, but got 4th.

About the MPR thing, I did read something on the forums that said anything that license level OR above counts to your MPR. Guess ill wait till I get up to C and see what the series page says, otherwise LM's here i come.

BTW Mat, dont know if you saw, but I noticed on the 'ticker' thing the other day, there was the top 10 club points thing, and you came across 1 place ahead of earnhardt jr. Hope you grabbed a screen shot :lol:

#159 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,237 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 21:08

Possibly a daft question, but hey, what else is new?

Im currently D3.97 on ovals, all thanks to the legends. I know i could jump in LM's or SK's, but TBH, the whole short track thing doesnt really float my boat. If i get up to Cx.x where im able to drive the truck, will that count for my MPR? Or do you HAVE to do 4 Races at each license level? Basically, Id like to skip the D level oval cars (and buying some crappy short tracks) and just go to the trucks if possible.

Hey NM I'm not a 100 % sure but I believe with a D License and a 4,0 safety rating you can race in the C class cars.

So you dont have to buy the SK or Late Model. You could go straight from the Legends cars to the Trucks, then every track that you get will be the same that you drive in the Nationwide and the Cup Series later on.

I enjoy the LM series, the cars dont have too much power, so the racing is pretty close and fair, I found I can practise patience and tire managment with them, because if you push to hard early in the run the car will be a handful to drive later on, its is one of the most popular series.

Edited by Kucki, 14 December 2009 - 21:17.

Advertisement

#160 Mat

Mat

• 7,674 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 21:19

BTW Mat, dont know if you saw, but I noticed on the 'ticker' thing the other day, there was the top 10 club points thing, and you came across 1 place ahead of earnhardt jr. Hope you grabbed a screen shot  :lol:

Yeah Watkins Glen is a blast! And no i didnt notice the ticker so no screenshot, but hey, im happy with the kudos! ;)

Im still confused with how the MPR works when you get over 4.0 Nasty, so dont take my word for it. Get it over 4.0 and see what happens?

Edited by Mat, 14 December 2009 - 21:21.

#161 MaxScelerate

MaxScelerate

• 4,249 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 22:13

I did read a message on iRacing's forum where someone said racing at or over your license (ie, through 4.0+ allowance) gave you mpr for your license (nothing about the it-pays-to-drive here, just license promotion).

Take it for what it's worth though : hearsay.

#162 Exar Kun

Exar Kun

• 1,169 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 22:24

You can definitely race up and it will count to your MPR. So, to get your MPR for D, you can race trucks and it will count. 100% sure.

@HoldenRT - the fast guys all take different approaches to gaining speed. You can see some gather a lot of incs per race and others don't. Personally, whenever starting out a new combo, I like to put enough fuel in for at least 10 laps or so and then start working up to speed. A few laps in i'll push a little more and will usually start running wide here and there so I can test the limits. You'll find yourself going faster if you work up to a limit rather than finding it and coming back down. I always practice a fair bit with race fuel, where I back off a bit so I can run consistently without putting a wheel off anywhere. Then I dump all that fuel and magically find a huge chunk of time (compared to early low fuel runs) as the car is so much easier to drive.

In a race most quick guys are on it straight away - they're just good enough to do that. I tend to take a lap or two to get into the groove and don't set my quickest laps until much later in the race.

I'm not one of the quick guys but if I can get the car to the finish, I tend to finish higher than my iRating would suggest - just from keeping the car on track. Having said that, I've had a few horror races this season! Dallara = huge closing speeds on slower cars. Still, I'm sitting 2nd in Division 2, 5th overall and even 3rd overall in time trials in a class A car so I must be doing something right.

#163 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:55

Well, it let me jump in the trucks just fine, so thats answered that question. And after all that.....im slow as buggery. Oh well.

Im already depressed about road atlanta. Ive seen mid 37's done, and ive fluked one low 42. T1 is a bitch, and someone is ALWAYS comming out of the pits and getting in your way, T3 is a bitch coz you just have to turn in and hope is in the same place as last lap, the last righthander before the back straight is a bitch, coz again, you cant see anything. Good fun though. And ive noticed it gives you a surprising amount of road to play with on that left hander after the esses down the hill. You can fling it in, get all over the rumble strip on exit and keep it out there even when the strip ends, and not get an INC.
But yeah... 4.5 sec at sebring didnt bother me, was a 150 sec lap. but 4 sec to find over 80ish sec? damn!

#164 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,237 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 22:37

Well, it let me jump in the trucks just fine, so thats answered that question. And after all that.....im slow as buggery. Oh well.

Im already depressed about road atlanta. Ive seen mid 37's done, and ive fluked one low 42. T1 is a bitch, and someone is ALWAYS comming out of the pits and getting in your way, T3 is a bitch coz you just have to turn in and hope is in the same place as last lap, the last righthander before the back straight is a bitch, coz again, you cant see anything. Good fun though. And ive noticed it gives you a surprising amount of road to play with on that left hander after the esses down the hill. You can fling it in, get all over the rumble strip on exit and keep it out there even when the strip ends, and not get an INC.
But yeah... 4.5 sec at sebring didnt bother me, was a 150 sec lap. but 4 sec to find over 80ish sec? damn!

I had the same thoughts about Road Atlanta further up the thread. The track is just unbelievable. The first corner is like made for motorbike hill climbing, then you turn for a corner where you have to drive the entry blind - and dont see the apex either until you go over it, very fast esses where you have to brake under turning with high curbs around you, you literally get thrown out of the corner, on the outside are high curbs and a bumpy surface after it, then on to the straight and a dip in the track surface, the right hander is banked like an oval, you can enter the corner faster then you think, then a haaard slow right hander which I often enter too fast because all corners before that were so sweepy, a seemingly endless straight with a downhill braking area, so very hard braking, over the curbs lightly to not upset the car, then wheel spin coming out of the chicane, AND THEN, it seems like you have to drive off a cliff! You push the throttle down and dont know where your going, suddenly it goes frightenly steep down, but its a straight so you have to stay on the throttle, if you hit the line right you can take the last right kink before s/f flat out, but you get pushed to the left side curbs where you dont want to put the wheels into the grass. This track is just completely epic.

They must take Tilke and show him that track, I bet every corner and every straight violates several FIA rules on how a track is allowed to be build. Its a Nürburgring Nordschleife short version.

Edited by Kucki, 15 December 2009 - 22:40.

#165 Exar Kun

Exar Kun

• 1,169 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 22:54

Which cars are you guys running there right now? I had a quick practice in the Corvette there over the week. Damn it's hard to find the line through the first few corners. Luckily it's all pretty easy to handle once you get onto the back straight, even if the crests and dips still make it interesting.

#166 Mat

Mat

• 7,674 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 00:12

I am running the Skip Barber at Road Atlanta. Best lap i have managed so far is a 1m42.3.

I can run in the 43's pretty consistently. But that is about it at the moment. I decided to join a race and started 8th, was up to 4th by the first lap but spun out of Turn 1 on lap 3. I went to the back and had to work my back up, only made it back to 11th :(

SR went up though. Its like my silver lining when i have a bad race !

#167 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 06:03

I Just, as in like 5 minutes ago, got down to the mid 40's from high 42's. Ive run loads of prac laps today looking for time, but I actually think i was looking in the wrong spots.

I know there is time in T1, but its still survival mode for me really. What has cleaned it up for me, besides braking a little earlier than id like, is turning in quite a bit earlier than id like. I was just watching a guy run 38's and he braked alot later, and only down to about 90mph. I tend to get down to about 86. So theres a chunk.

I THOUGHT there was time in that last left hander at the bottom of the esses, but i seem to be getting through there ok, and it doesnt seem to matter if you keep it in and avoid the curb on exit, or just thunder over it, its the in between, where youve still got some wheel in and put a tyre on it....then you loop. Either way, my exit speed and top speed down the next straight seems pretty similar.

The right hander onto the straight was costing me time, and i just discovered if i treat the 2 corners more of one longer double apex one, and turn in earlier than id think for the 2nd, i pick up a few MPH all the way down the straight.

What Im gonna play with tomorrow after watching this other guy just now, is using shitloads more curb. The blind T3 lets you use a fair bit more than i expected, the chicane lets you use LOADS, and id only just started picking up on that, and you can brake later than i thought into the 1st of those 2 right corners onto the back. Still. 2.3ish sec isnt a bad find today.

#168 karlth

karlth

• 16,231 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:48

Which cars are you guys running there right now? I had a quick practice in the Corvette there over the week. Damn it's hard to find the line through the first few corners. Luckily it's all pretty easy to handle once you get onto the back straight, even if the crests and dips still make it interesting.

I've tried the Corvette and it doesn't suit me at all, reminds of the Ferrari 550 from GTR - a big heavy GT car.

I'm currently running in the Spec Racer series and that series has done wonders for my driving. Having driven simulators for 10 years I'm finally competitive in a strong field of drivers, whereas I used to be 2-3 seconds from the best drivers in other simulators I'm now only trailing by 0.3s-0.5s. The Spec Racer is a simple car which teaches you the all importance of a good racing line, I highly recommend it for drivers of only average talent like me. :)

#169 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,087 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:21

I liked the 550 in GTR. :) But maybe it also had something to do with the tracks they raced on like Spa.

You can definitely race up and it will count to your MPR. So, to get your MPR for D, you can race trucks and it will count. 100% sure.

@HoldenRT - the fast guys all take different approaches to gaining speed. You can see some gather a lot of incs per race and others don't. Personally, whenever starting out a new combo, I like to put enough fuel in for at least 10 laps or so and then start working up to speed. A few laps in i'll push a little more and will usually start running wide here and there so I can test the limits. You'll find yourself going faster if you work up to a limit rather than finding it and coming back down. I always practice a fair bit with race fuel, where I back off a bit so I can run consistently without putting a wheel off anywhere. Then I dump all that fuel and magically find a huge chunk of time (compared to early low fuel runs) as the car is so much easier to drive.

In a race most quick guys are on it straight away - they're just good enough to do that. I tend to take a lap or two to get into the groove and don't set my quickest laps until much later in the race.

I'm not one of the quick guys but if I can get the car to the finish, I tend to finish higher than my iRating would suggest - just from keeping the car on track. Having said that, I've had a few horror races this season! Dallara = huge closing speeds on slower cars. Still, I'm sitting 2nd in Division 2, 5th overall and even 3rd overall in time trials in a class A car so I must be doing something right.

Interesting. Thanks for the reply.

#170 karlth

karlth

• 16,231 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:48

I liked the 550 in GTR. :) But maybe it also had something to do with the tracks they raced on like Spa.

Then you'll love the Corvette. :)

#171 Exar Kun

Exar Kun

• 1,169 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 21:27

Yeah, I'm not such a fan of the Corvette either. The brakes lock up too easily, the engine doesn't sound all that inspiring (it's doing it too easily) and it feels a bit floaty when turning. Of course, that's all in comparison to the Dallara which I've been running all season.

Karlth - kudos on doing well in the spec racer! I can't turn the thing in without swapping ends!!!

#172 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 03:06

Seems like theres some dramas after that update and people getting kicked. Which sucks. I was just in my 1st truck race, only 12 guys on the lead lap, id just stopped for tyres from 11th under caution, 9 laps to go......booted.

#173 Exar Kun

Exar Kun

• 1,169 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 20:54

All fixed up now, Nasty. And Brands is out - woooohooooo! Pity I can't grab it until I finish work but it's nice to know it's there. :)

#174 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:20

Yeah, I managed to get some trucks in today. Of course, they werent as good as that one i got booted form yesterday.

Had a horror day really, taken out T1/L1 at lime rock, got tangled in some L1 daftness in the SRF and lost .25SR and like 100 irating points in 2 races. Recovered most of the SR, but it was still a bit :(

Oh, and my pedals lost calibration for some reason and i had a trailing brake (about 5%) for a lap in the trucks. quick way to lose 10 seconds.

Edited by Nasty McBastard, 18 December 2009 - 05:22.

#175 Peat

Peat

• 1,199 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 09:02

I found my pedals went out too the other night. In the legends, i trail brake ever so slightly to keep the nose in, L1/T1 went for the brake and got 100% pressure registering! luckily i started at the back so the drama was confined to just me!

I had a bad night last night too. Crashed all on my tod at Lime Rock, had to retire. Then in the legends had 2 spins in warmup and crashed into an accident infront of me in teh race. Eventually came 3rd, but i had lost my 'keen' by then and packed it up for the night.

#176 Mat

Mat

• 7,674 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 01:49

My pedals do that too occasionally. I end up re calibrating every time I load the game just to be safe.

I was running a bunch of Advanced Legends and Legends races and got a string of low inc results and my Oval SR rocketed to D 3.59 but then i got cocky and joined an SK race and had 22 Inc in that one race, i got caught up in everything! I lost .31 in that one race!

Edited by Mat, 19 December 2009 - 07:16.

#177 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 06:52

never mind. answered my own question.

Edited by Nasty McBastard, 19 December 2009 - 07:04.

#178 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,237 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:07

Heres a tip if someone has jittering pedals and cant change the pots in them.

When calibrating the throttle, press the pedal only down 97-98 % of its way. Same when calibrating the brake, just the other way around, have it pressed down 2% or 3% before moving it all the way down. Then the sim would not see the pedal rate jittering as that would be out of its measurement zone.

If it gets worse one has to clean or replace the potentiometer in the pedals.

#179 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,640 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 14:05

I'm still shocked, looking at YouTube replays, of the amount of throttle people have on for the majority of the corner. Okay a little bit in a gokarting style makes sense. Even more, early throttle to open up the differential and help it turn but in just about every car on every track (road course) people are at at least 50% throttle the entire turn. That just doesn't make any sense. You shouldn't be able to get any meaningful braking done that way, and you should be understeering off the road while you're in the corner.

Advertisement

#180 MaxScelerate

MaxScelerate

• 4,249 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 16:15

Didn't really look at them but I have to agree (in principle). I mean to agree that one should be understeering off the road which is just what happens to ME when I try that (well actually I just zip through and into the ditch). :p So I stick with rolling off the gas and on the brake with a slight overlap. And I'm slow (for many other reasons, though). lol

#181 Peat

Peat

• 1,199 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 16:20

im in an iracing trough. 4 races on the bounce, i get taken out by people crashing infront of me. Gonna give it a break for a few days, this blows.

#182 Cotchin

Cotchin

• 69 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 18:28

I'm still shocked, looking at YouTube replays, of the amount of throttle people have on for the majority of the corner. Okay a little bit in a gokarting style makes sense. Even more, early throttle to open up the differential and help it turn but in just about every car on every track (road course) people are at at least 50% throttle the entire turn. That just doesn't make any sense. You shouldn't be able to get any meaningful braking done that way, and you should be understeering off the road while you're in the corner.

This is a problem with the throttle mapping, rather than any physics. When the bar is showing 50% it doesn't actually mean that the theoretical throttle opening is 50% open, but actually much less. You can easily test this by loading up the Solstice, keep it in neutral, and apply 50% throttle. The revs barely climb to a mid level but try that in your road car and you'll be bouncing off the rev limiter pretty quickly.

iRacing are aware of the situation and I think it will be adjusted pretty soon.

#183 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 22:37

When calibrating the throttle, press the pedal only down 97-98 % of its way. Same when calibrating the brake, just the other way around, have it pressed down 2% or 3% before moving it all the way down. Then the sim would not see the pedal rate jittering as that would be out of its measurement zone.

This is what I had to do, except on the brake. Worked fine for a bit, but then even just resting my foot on the 'floor' was enough pressure to make something move a bit and drag the brake. But i took it as an excuse to buy myself a christmas pressie when i saw a G25 yesterday.

Damn theres a difference in brake pedal stiffness, ill end up a lopsided freak with my left leg being like some tour de france cyclist's and my right being the leg of a lazy man :lol:

#184 PassWind

PassWind

• 4,791 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 07:27

Since you're such a hot shot you should be able to deal with the regional wildlife without any problem.

No actually I can't my tolerance for fools is quite on the low side, haven't you figured that out yet?

#185 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,640 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 07:52

Welcome to the world of racing, most drivers are crap.

#186 Exar Kun

Exar Kun

• 1,169 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 20:51

I've had a good, clean couple of weeks now - haven't put a wheel off track. So I managed to get my SR up from Pro 2.4 to 4.4 which is great - i'm above A 4.99 now. It's amazing how quickly you can get your SR up with clean racing if you're doing hour long road racing.

Brands is awesome. I've obviously never been there but the track feels so much better than in any other game I've tried.

And the Dallara is at Road Atlanta this week - woohoo! It's by far the best car I've tried around here - you can really attack in places most cars have to pussy foot around (i'm look at you, Corvette).

#187 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 19:59

Im STAGGERED at the difference something like a G25 makes.

Ive been plugging away on an old momo wheel and thought it was all good, but after i got used to the stiffer brake, its....damn. Im catching slides all over the place, actually throwing the thing into slides and comfortably holding it etc etc. Unless I just suddently got better, its all about the wheel.

Rather than spending....60% of my focus on not throwing it off the road, im now spending like 80% actually racing, knowing if the thing gets squirrely its no biggy.
Its hard to describe but there was (i now realise) kind of a 'slowness' in my old wheel. If i started to slide, by the time i caught it, it was too late. if i WANTED to slide it, id throw it in and hope it stuck right, knowing if it went a bit far, i was probably shafted. This thing is...perfect.

Id shudder to think how much slower id of been withe the SRF at lime rock this week. I can suddenly do those things i wanted to do with say, the solstice to gain extra time (like that whole half slide through t1 business) without a care in the world.

Cant wait to actually race this week.

BTW, NH in the skippy....about 1000 times more fun than i thought itd be :D

Edited by Nasty McBastard, 22 December 2009 - 20:00.

#188 Exar Kun

Exar Kun

• 1,169 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 21:53

Im STAGGERED at the difference something like a G25 makes.

BTW, NH in the skippy....about 1000 times more fun than i thought itd be :D

My G25 arrived the day after I got iRacing - so I've never known anything different really. They're a great wheel - the pedals you can upgrade nicely with either the nixim/load cell mod and the leo bodnar box/cable is a must.

Jealous that you get to run NH! I keep looking for it on the higher road course levels but they never put it in. It's a fantastic track for a roval. Barely a roval at all really.

#189 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 20:52

Bloody oath its fantastic! Ive always had a preconception that rovals = crap. Lowes road was OK, but still obviously an oval with some right handers thrown in the middle, this place is more like a nice little road track, with an oval chucked around it.

How much does damage effect the car? I mean i know if you stuff it in a wall it can put your steering off center, and you can knock wheels off, but what about lesser damage? Ive seen guys in skippys blow by me with rear wings half off etc.

Reason I ask is i had a race at NH, was p2 into the 2nd corner and got nailed in the arse. It all looked straight in my mirror, but the thing was crazy loose in left handers all race, which sucked, coz all the tricky/important corners are the lefties. Anyway, I thought maybe id got wing damage or something, and only saw in the replay that i got nailed in the RR which seemed to buckle and push in, but then 'pop' back out and looked nice and straight.

Does this kind of stuff mess with handeling, or was it all just in my head?

Still finished 5th though :D

#190 Mat

Mat

• 7,674 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 22:03

I believe aero damage, just as body work crumpled up, missing or wings bent or collapsed do not effect the the car. This will be updated soon i read.

Chassis damage such as steering, suspension is modeled.

#191 Mat

Mat

• 7,674 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 04:03

Hey nasty, saw you in the race this afternoon. Well sort of, for the first lap and off you went! You are bloody fast, have you got a decent setup for that place? I am using my Road Atlanta setup with adjusted gearing and i think it is slowing me down a little.

Hey, did you hear that guy having a go at me? It's funny how people get hot under the collar. He completely caught me by surprise pulling over in the back twisty section of the track and I just clipped it and we both lost time, he went off for a good little while, thats when i just ignore 'em! Salvaged 7th out of it which was my only skippy race for the week.

I had my first race in the Trucks at Milwaukee too. And the car is a blast! Again, did one race which as heaps of fun, lots of clean racing. I stayed out of trouble for 9th place finish.

#192 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 04:51

Pretty much all ive done to the skippy was stolen from a thread over there as a 'standard' change. 24/23 psi f/r, and 8 ARB. And i just stick with that everywhere. I still cant tell if its me or a change that makes a difference.

I did notice him having a bit of a whinge lol, feck him. I had some dramas with a guy we were trying to lap, cost me a spot and there were 3 of us lined up for like 2 or 3 laps. He didnt know or care. Not that it mattered, i somehow tagged the wall comming off the oval and bent my steering.

The skippy race before that was probably the most frustrating race ive ever had. Overcooked it into t1, got a little tag and some damage...p2 to last. The someone looped it in the oval, and i was going low, he let off the brakes and rolled backwards...Tbone. Come out behind the guy in 3rd and caught up 6 sec in a lap and a half, and sat there for a lap or 2. He wasnt gaining on p2, p4 wasnt catching him, but the guy behind me was catching for position. I knew i was only there coz i fecked up, and i didnt want to dive bomb a guy a lap ahead, but he was like 2-3 sec a lap slow, and wobbeling about coz i was all over his arse. Figured hed let me through and save us both the drama, but no....and we both got caught and I got passed, and he opened the door and let him through and proceeded to hold me up again. So i sat there for 19 laps...drop back 4 or 5 sec and close it in a lap again. He was good off the last turn and T1, so i was screwed. If it was for position id of stuffed it up the inside and gone on my way. I ALMOST could have unlapped myself from him if id of got past that 1st lap.

Im in a horrid slump overall, lost like 1/3 of a SR point in the last day. Got raped a few times, did one raping of myown, and just lots of silly shit of myown for some reason. Just repainted my cars, and got some decent results again :lol:

Oh, and the trucks are fun, but milwaukee can get ****ed in the ear.

Edited by Nasty McBastard, 24 December 2009 - 04:52.

#193 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 03:34

I wonder if ive accidentaly offended someone without realising. Coz its the only reason I can think of why...and how, i could get REVERSED into before a pace lap even started in the legends. 4INC before i even got into 1st gear. Gotta say it sucks watching someone comming back at you and just waiting for the hit.

No 'lol', no 'shit sorry'....just drove off without a care in the world.

But then again, the only other time ive seen this person is in a SFR race at LR, where he/she wobbled around 6 sec off the pace and dumping it off every 2nd lap. Either way... :lol: i guess.

#194 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,237 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 15:05

I wonder if ive accidentaly offended someone without realising. Coz its the only reason I can think of why...and how, i could get REVERSED into before a pace lap even started in the legends. 4INC before i even got into 1st gear. Gotta say it sucks watching someone comming back at you and just waiting for the hit.

No 'lol', no 'shit sorry'....just drove off without a care in the world.

I had an accident like that in real life a couple of years ago. I was arriving at the end of a long line of cars, and just as I came to a stop the car infront of me engaged reverse gear and just accelerated into my stationary car. What a dumb crash that was, he wanted to park the car and didnt even look to the back.

If he didnt even apologise I would have send a protest about the guy.

#195 karlth

karlth

• 16,231 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:21

Into week 9 of season 4 and so, to my surprise, the drivers have to start dropping races as only the best 8 of 12 count.

Currently in 12th place in the series and leading my division, feel like real racing driver! :cool: :lol:

#196 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 20:28

I try not to look at overall season standings. it just depresses me. If i stick to my division im 37th in the skippy's and 20th in the SRF, only having done 5 weeks. I guess i can keep deluding myself till next season with a 'if only id been here since week 1' thought :lol:

Anyone had much to do with the Star Mazda's? I like em and theyre good fun, but I randomly just lose the thing. T3 at road atlanta is a good example. Im not locking a brake (or atleast the replays dont show it), not getting on the curbs, not downshifting any quicker than usual, but 1 out of every 10 times it just snaps left and off i go. It really puzzles me. If i compare a lap with this happening to one where it doesnt there is no great difference in braking point, or my line.

Most of the time i fling it off the road i can tell why....locked up, too much curb, whatever, but these kind of off's just confuse me.

Is it just REALLY fussy in some situations or what?

#197 karlth

karlth

• 16,231 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 21:36

Anyone had much to do with the Star Mazda's? I like em and theyre good fun, but I randomly just lose the thing. T3 at road atlanta is a good example. Im not locking a brake (or atleast the replays dont show it), not getting on the curbs, not downshifting any quicker than usual, but 1 out of every 10 times it just snaps left and off i go. It really puzzles me. If i compare a lap with this happening to one where it doesnt there is no great difference in braking point, or my line.

Most of the time i fling it off the road i can tell why....locked up, too much curb, whatever, but these kind of off's just confuse me.

Is it just REALLY fussy in some situations or what?

Either the car is hitting the tarmac or the suspension is bottoming:

"The consequence of bottoming the suspension on the bump rubbers is sudden weight transfer away from the inside tire and to the outside tire. When this happens on the front, the result is sudden, massive understeer. When it happens at the rear, the result is snap oversteer " (http://eaglewoman.rs...rehelp/ride.htm)

Try increasing the ride height considerably and driving through the corner again.

#198 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 04:20

sweet, ill have a fiddle and see what happens. I suspect I MUST be doing something different, coz its not happening every lap, but I dont know what. This is where i miss stuff like the GPL replay analyser that showed all your brake points, lines etc etc.

Been a while, but just got win #3 :) SRF again....and i thought i hated summit point. well there ya go.

#199 Exar Kun

Exar Kun

• 1,169 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 03:31

I botched my attempt at a first win in well over a year last week at Road Atlanta in the Indycar. I had pole for the first time in ages and was nervous as hell leading - I gave up the lead just before my pitstop but put in a great stop and outlap and came out in front... and promptly spun. Somehow I didn't get any incs and chased down the leader to finish only a second behind. I was running at qually pace towards the end of the race. It's certainly much easier to chase than be chased!

I also went and did a couple of races in the Skippy at NH - first time I'd run the car in months and also first time at that track but it looked like so much fun I had to give it a go. Ended up down in the low 1:10s in terms of lap time which was a bit off the pace of the leaders. I didn't qualify in either race I did so had some fantastic battles coming through the field, including 3 wide into the hairpin on the last lap in one of them!

Laguna Seca in the Indycar this week - haven't run a race yet but the car feels good. Doing 1:12s - a fair bit quicker than the Slowstice which was the last car I did an official race in around here :D

Advertisement

#200 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 00:01

Thanks Karlth, bumping up the ride height solved that problem nicely. I knew the old setup was scraping, but i didnt think it was that bad. Not only can i avoid randomly losing it, it seems to scrape less on the straight and ive gained time there for free as well. Knocked about a second off my PB and ran a race length in prac and only got myself into trouble when i made an obvious mistake.

Exar, Ive always felt more comfortable chasing too, its obviously a mental thing. Im pretty chuffed with that win i got the other day...i made a spot and was 3rd on the 1st lap, found myself in the lead when the 2 guys in front wobbled off the road, but had a guy charging through the field and got to me with 5 laps to go. He was doing 24's which im happy to do in TT's and prac, but is a little risky for me in a race, so he was about a second quicker. Anyway, he wasnt more than 3 car lengths behind for the entire last 5 laps. I thought 'ok, im not moving over, but if he gets along side, im not pushing it' and just ignored him as best i could. I got one or two 'inside' spotter messages, but held him off and won by 0.16.

Normally id of flung it off the road or something. It only took a lap but I could tell he was 'safe'. Didnt do anything wierd, no dive bombing etc, took the time to see where i was a bit slower etc. It really helps when youre not worrying about getting rear ended coz youre a little slower into a certain corner or whatever.

Also had an aweseom 4 way scrap in the skippy's at laguna. we were all covered by 2 sec for7 or 8 laps, swapping places. Again i felt pretty comfortable being in amongst it. Been a definate change this week. Dont know if its me, or ive just had the luck to race with safe and predictable guys. It all ended in tears though, guy in front braked a little late/wide into the corkscrew, and i found myself making a pass without realising it (if you know what i mean), he took his usual turnin we got together and all 4 of us wadded up in the middle of the corkscrew. I think it was my fault really (Oops), but got a 2nd out of it, running half the race with bent steering.

That was a bigger post than i was expecting to make :lol: