* * * * - 6 votes

iRacing.com

• Please log in to reply
2069 replies to this topic

#1951 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,000 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:43

Yeah, that's the economic (read cheap ass) way to progress.

Thing is, at 4.0+SR in any one license level, you can race up to the license above. So you can race Rookie until you're D and then keep racing Rookie cars until you're D4.0 then buy the C car. Race C until B and then keep at it until B4.0+ and you can (again) skip a whole license level. Getting to NOT wear the brown (D) and green (B) strips.

Pretty bummed to hear mr. Millions isn't a 100% Content Buyer. ):

On the oval side you can get to B without buying anything.

Race the StreetStock rookie, till you get to D 4.0, then race in the StreetStock C-class series.....

I'm pretty sure I saw Alonso race in F3000, he won at Spa, that was the B-class series back then :rotfl:

Advertisement

#1952 karlth

karlth

• 16,257 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:18

I'm using iRacing to practice for a gokart race (2 strokes) this weekend. Any car(gokart like behavior) and track you'd especially recommend for training? I mostly need to work on late/early apex and braking.

#1953 Linus27

Linus27

• 4,895 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 14:58

Nevertheless there is something seriously wrong at iRacing. Development of new tracks and cars has almost slowed to a trickle. Either they are understaffed or they are programming and modelling using a typewriter.

The problem I have with Iracing is the lack of cars. Being European, I want to race more European cars so thats models that you find in Clio Cup (Renault Clio), BTCC/ETCC/WTCC (Honda Civic, BMW 320, Vauxhall Vectra's, Ford Focus, Audi A4, Toyota Avensis, MG6, VW Golf, Seat Leon, Chevrolet Cruze, Alfa Romeo 156, Honda Accord), Mini Cooper Cup (Mini Cooper), Lotus Elise Trophy (Lotus Elise, Exige, 340R, 211) and other European race series spec cars. Only about 2 cars appeal to me in the current line up, the Radical and the Mazda MX-5.

The track list is very good and I have bought Brands and Oulton which I use for trackday training as they are spot on but to find races on some of these tracks is impossible and even then its with cars I do not own or care for.

The announcement of more British tracks is great as is the news of the Civic but its still not enough for me to want to come back. Until we get more European cars then I will be staying away.

#1954 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,335 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 15:40

karl, IMO the formula mazda is probably the most balanced and chuckable car that feels like a go kart, just obviously a lot faster. Try turning some laps in it at some of the short config tracks maybe and turn the FF on your wheel up!

#1955 karlth

karlth

• 16,257 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 21:45

karl, IMO the formula mazda is probably the most balanced and chuckable car that feels like a go kart, just obviously a lot faster. Try turning some laps in it at some of the short config tracks maybe and turn the FF on your wheel up!

I should have turned the FF up even higher! I drove an endurance race at Bayford Meadows followed by a Club 100 weekend at Rye House and I'm absolutely knackered. Hours driving iRacing certainly helped me to improve my racing line but it did absolutely nothing for my arm muscles.

I also drove the Formula Palmer single seater at Bedford (along with other race cars) followed by motion simulator sessions near Gatwick (Let's Race) and Bedford (The Race House):

Posted Image

#1956 SPBHM

SPBHM

• 829 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:49

for karting, have you tried this?
http://www.kartracing-pro.com/

I have no real experience with karting but this seems pretty good for that

#1957 Linus27

Linus27

• 4,895 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:42

I have that and it is very very good. The only problem is not a lot of people are playing it so a lonely experience at the moment. I am sure once its released properly it will go massive.

#1958 karlth

karlth

• 16,257 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:57

Yes, there is even a video on youtube of a guy driving the circuit I raced on. Unfortunately I only remembered it when I had already left track and the circuits are not laser scanned which makes a big difference. Since the race I've been practising at Spa in the Star Mazda and the same fundamentals apply as in all racing cars. The difference between the very quick guys and slow pokes like me is corner entry.

It was very interesting trying out the Race House simulator at Bedford. It featured the Star Mazda at Lime rock and certain parts of the simulation, mainly the pendulum effect and the kerbs, felt exactly like the real thing I had tried earlier in the day.

Edited by karlth, 21 September 2012 - 08:58.

#1959 Peat

Peat

• 1,326 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:56

just looked at the Race House site - What's a 'breaking area'?

Advertisement

#1960 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,000 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:40

I bought the Carb Cup car (Impala A ?) and Daytona yesterday, so I could race for fun without worrying about my iRating and SR, and in My 2nd race I was racing against Richie Stanaway, and I beat him :)

The 1st race I was in was a complete crashfest, so much so that only 1 car finished !

#1961 karlth

karlth

• 16,257 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:52

So who pre ordered the Lotus 49?

#1962 judd

judd

• 116 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 20:59

Meee! No word on when its released?

#1963 Cenotaph

Cenotaph

• 2,317 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 22:37

it should be released for the S4 build

#1964 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,000 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:29

Had my first ever race at Watkins Glen, in the Solstice in the GTC, and I won my class :) Which was nice.

Also after a good weekend, I finally got both my Oval and Road iRating over the 1350 it started at. As iRating is a zero-sum game, I can now say I'm an above average driver.

#1965 AcuraF1

AcuraF1

• 1,945 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 00:58

So, is anybody still iracing? Season 4 has started and the new build is out. I didn't really feel much difference with the FW31, and the @driver on-screen thing is a little annoying.

#1966 SPBHM

SPBHM

• 829 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:45

I did 2 races with the new build, one with the nvidia something series (Mazda MX5), I didn't notice any difference, apart from maybe the FFB and the strange touch/mouse on screen buttons,
also for some reason voice chat is enabled by default now, even if I disable the option!?

I also tested the Cadillac CTS-V (I think that's the name), and it seemed easier to drive than before, a lot easier to catch the rear!? maybe I'm wrong...

Edited by SPBHM, 03 November 2012 - 02:46.

#1967 100cc

100cc

• 3,163 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 16:43

I didn't race season 3, now I've raced too much to start off season 4. Been racing Skippy, MX-5, Indy.. maybe something else.

Indy feels slightly faster because it's more stable and easier to catch. MX-5 not sure if I tried it after the build yet... Skippy also feels slightly easier to catch.

#1968 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,000 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 22:56

Still racing, got on the podium in my division in the iRNC last season, which was nice.

This season I'm racing in the iRNC again, and the SRF. I'd say the new build made the SRF about 2 seconds faster around Watkins Glen, but made no difference to the Solstice at Okayama.

I've also been racing in the UK&I club oval races, we get nearly 30 people thurs/fri/sat nights, which is a complete hoot, its fun to race against the same people regularly.

#1969 AcuraF1

AcuraF1

• 1,945 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 18:33

I must say the change to the best 25% of your races counting has certainly upped particiaption in the Grand Prix series. There were more official races this week at Spa than in all Season 3 races combined (I may be overstating it a bit, but it is a dramtic increase).

#1970 Cenotaph

Cenotaph

• 2,317 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:04

Actually that might be accurate :p no pro licenses to give out as well, i think that helps

#1971 AcuraF1

AcuraF1

• 1,945 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:49

Actually that might be accurate :p no pro licenses to give out as well, i think that helps

Good point. I have raced against many pro/wc drivers so far. Previously, very rarely. It's fun trying not to get lapped! :D

#1972 AcuraF1

AcuraF1

• 1,945 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 15:20

iRacing has a "Black Friday" special on right now for new and existing members: $49 for a 1 year subscription. It ends Monday, Nov 26.

#1973 Peat

Peat

• 1,326 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 20:52

Yep, just taken advantage of that.

Bitten.....

#1974 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,335 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:25

I did aswell. Don't think I've ever paid full price, got this deal every year I think.

Anyone racing Indy Fixed this season? Got my first Indy fixed oval win at Indy the other night, was a fantastic race. The only time I was in the lead was over the line on the final lap around the outside, timing said it was a dead heat! Replay showed I was half a front wing endplate infront over the bricks :smoking: Was a 37 lap race. It's actaully a great driving challenge as each corner is different. Turn 1 needs a slight lift if you have a tow, turns 2 3 and 4 flat most laps. Saving fuel is fun too, the SC period meant we could just get to the finish without pitting, finished with 0.1g in the tank.

Also done a couple Spa road races this week, had a close race with champ leader Carlo Labati last. Starting 5th on the grid I took the lead from him briefly on lap 1 at Les Combes but he's a cool customer and came straight back past at Bruxelles. We were tenth for tenth the whole race, beat me by 4s over 14 laps in the end.

Edited by Tenmantaylor, 30 November 2012 - 11:29.

#1975 Peat

Peat

• 1,326 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:31

Inherited a win in the Skippys this morning.

That ends a seriously crappy run for me. Silly spins, collected by other peoples accidents etc. Here's hoping its a turning point.

#1976 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,335 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:54

You never inherit a win ;) You didn't make a mistake, kept a clean nose, looked after your equipment, you earned it :)

#1977 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 13,712 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:25

Anyone picking up the McLaren?

#1978 AcuraF1

AcuraF1

• 1,945 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 14:46

I'll wait to see if it is going to be a high participation car. I've bought too many cars that I don't drive to make that mistake again.

#1979 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 15:05

I'll wait to see if it is going to be a high participation car. I've bought too many cars that I don't drive to make that mistake again.

Have to agree.

Looks/sounds pretty sweet but i'll wait to, i seem to struggle with GT type cars too for some reason.

After months working away from home during the week i've finally got some local work lately and started up again. Won in the SM last night although it was a low split & low SOF but still nice, getting the bug back!!

Advertisement

#1980 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 22:23

Noticed i had $9 worth of iRacing credits (god knows how or why!) so thought i might as well splash it on the 12c. Money well spent! Hands down one, if not the, best job iRacing have done on a car, especially considering its straight out the box. She's great to drive, very easy to to be consistent with but not that easy to be quick with. The ABS takes a while to get used to but i still find it quickest to drive it as though it doesn't have ABS, makes trail braking easier, you can brake (gently) really late into the corner and not worry about the front washing out wide at all, so long as your not too aggressive.

Just did a 45min race around Daytona with it and it was great fun (despite two offs) and i suspect it'll be a massively popular car/series.

If your hmming and aahhhing about buying it i'd say go for it, well worth the $12.

#1981 BCM

BCM

• 296 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:01

I agree. I think the MP4 is the best car they've done and I own all the content.

#1982 scolbourne

scolbourne

• 225 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 13:23

I agree. I think the MP4 is the best car they've done and I own all the content.

I picked up MP4 and although I still prefer the Radical, find it a nice car to drive. One which will make it easy to maintain the SR thus allowing driving of other cars which are fun but seriously damage the SR (Falcon at Sebring at night was my downfall, in a race I needed the points for the Championship).

#1983 Peat

Peat

• 1,326 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:27

Something i have learnt with the MP4 is: QUALIFY!

I have done 2 races in it. First i started near the front of class and had a great race.

2nd, i started nearer the back. Oh my. 1st lap carnage for the first 4 corners of a 45min race. id.i.ot.s

#1984 AcuraF1

AcuraF1

• 1,945 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:21

so, anybody excited for interlagos and a lmp2?;)

I see interlagos on some of next seasons schedules :clap:

#1985 prty

prty

• 5,164 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 20:56

Stopped playing for personal reasons, but I'm curious about what's going on with the game. No comments about it since January? Is it less active now?

#1986 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 1,413 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 17:58

New build has just come out and has started to introduce some adjustable weather effects (testing only ATM) and put the latest tyre model into more cars. Still seems as popular as ever in the core series (I only ever do road racing though) in the evenings. Still the quickest way around a track is to slide, and still no one seems to practice being able to drive more than 3 laps without crashing, but loving it overall.

#1987 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 18:54

I stopped due to cost and the time needed to be competitive, i found i needed to practise, practise and practise some more but i just don't have the time to do that at the moment. Might get back into it one day but not until i feel its worth it.

#1988 prty

prty

• 5,164 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 22:48

Thanks for the answers. Not many changes then it seems (didn't see rain, only temperature changes in the youtube videos) hope to give it a try again in the future.

#1989 100cc

100cc

• 3,163 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:49

F1 got completely borked in the latest update so much so that the top 3 didn't race in the latest iRacing WC event... acceleration basically feels like you're in the rain (on slicks) Skippy improved massively with the latest iteration of the tyre model. Star Mazda also feels much better.

I'm not a big fan of the '49.. it's definitely a challenge to drive though. :drunk:

Montreal is wicked. :up: Long Beach is wicked as well (only for Hosted events)

I'll probably be racing the Skippy a lot - it's definitely one of the best cars on the service but still has room for improvement. Good thing is the latest update definitely moved things in the right direction for most cars.

Still the quickest way around a track is to slide

In what cars (other than the 49)?

Edited by 100cc, 28 July 2013 - 03:50.

#1990 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 13,712 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:45

Stopped playing for personal reasons, but I'm curious about what's going on with the game. No comments about it since January? Is it less active now?

I paid for a years sub then a due to a house movehave ended up with my wheel packed away for most of that period. Finally started doing some laps in the last week or so. Realised I has some credits so went and got the new Lotus (which I've mostly been crashing)

#1991 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,335 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:39

Handle like the original then? From GPL I mean.

Edited by Tenmantaylor, 28 July 2013 - 14:40.

#1992 MaxScelerate

MaxScelerate

• 4,307 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:55

Think crossing the road crown at GPL's Monza's parabolica and spinning out, but doing it everywhere - even on the straight - due to iRacing track resolution that mimicks every bump, crown and gutter.

Genius! :D

Edited by MaxScelerate, 28 July 2013 - 14:56.

#1993 100cc

100cc

• 3,163 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 15:17

I paid for a years sub then a due to a house movehave ended up with my wheel packed away for most of that period. Finally started doing some laps in the last week or so. Realised I has some credits so went and got the new Lotus (which I've mostly been crashing)

Last time I drove GPL was in 2002 so I can't say :D... but I do remember the GPL car being a lot more stable over crests/jumps.

#1994 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 13,712 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 18:21

My issue with the L49 is with the FFB. I can't seem to find a setting that balances feedback of grip and rattle'n'shake from bumps and kerbs.

#1995 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 1,413 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 19:47

the star mazda feels quite a lot different - some hefty mid-corner understeer there now. i like it

#1996 100cc

100cc

• 3,163 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 15:51

My issue with the L49 is with the FFB. I can't seem to find a setting that balances feedback of grip and rattle'n'shake from bumps and kerbs.

app.ini - edit the ffbSmooth option. 0.8 seemed to make the 49 rattle and shake almost disappear. 0.5 and lower I lost too much feeling. In the skippy I use 0.95. At least to me it seems you want the number only low enough to get rid of the excessive klanking. The lower the number the less 'real' the feedback seems to be because it gets averaged out so much.

#1997 AcuraF1

AcuraF1

• 1,945 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 19:49

the star mazda feels quite a lot different - some hefty mid-corner understeer there now. i like it

Agreed. I drove the Star Mazda last night and it felt great. I found it much more stable than previously.

#1998 AcuraF1

AcuraF1

• 1,945 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 14:20

iRacing has added NTMv5 to the FW31! I ran 10 laps around Interlagos and it feels much more stuck to the ground than before.

#1999 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 13,712 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 16:31

Is anyone still playing this? I went mad and got a 2 year sub when they did an offer. Since then my participation has been highly sporadic. And then I do play and they sucker me out of more money for new content. The Ruf is a fun car that I can see myself running. Bathurst is a fun track but I can't see myself reaching the point where it wouldn't be a SR pit (Montreal or Sao Paulo would have been a wiser investment)

Advertisement

#2000 LoudHoward

LoudHoward

• 1,318 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:14

The Ruf is amazing.