* * * * - 6 votes

iRacing.com

• Please log in to reply
2015 replies to this topic

#2001 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 7,992 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:02

Got a phone call from my credit card company the other day querying a payment from the US, the Indian fellow went on to explain said payment was from a company named "I-reecing.cum". They had blocked the annual payment as it was irregular. Haven't been on I-Racing for about 6 months so didn't re-register and membership has now lapsed. 

I-Racing was at it's best when driving in a high attendance league. Had some amazing fun in the lower leagues and a little bit in the Indycar league but the content is so spread out and sparse now that I find the opportunity for fun pick up races in challenging cars is so few and far between I've lost interest.

Advertisement

#2002 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,268 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 14:31

Is anyone still playing this? I went mad and got a 2 year sub when they did an offer. Since then my participation has been highly sporadic. And then I do play and they sucker me out of more money for new content. The Ruf is a fun car that I can see myself running. Bathurst is a fun track but I can't see myself reaching the point where it wouldn't be a SR pit (Montreal or Sao Paulo would have been a wiser investment)

I do regular races every week now, in the Ford GT. Thinking of switching to the Ruf next season.

You won't lose SR in Bathurst because the walls scare everyone, it's not like Spa where it's so easy to run a little wide everywhere and pick up incident points all race. The races I've done in Bathurst this season were surprisingly clean. It's a lot like Montreal actually - go slightly wide, race binned, therefore everyone plays it safe.

#2003 100cc

100cc

• 3,163 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 20:31

I-Racing was at it's best when driving in a high attendance league. Had some amazing fun in the lower leagues and a little bit in the Indycar league but the content is so spread out and sparse now that I find the opportunity for fun pick up races in challenging cars is so few and far between I've lost interest.

If the schedule of the lower participation series' doesn't work keep racing stuff like the Skippy, Mazda Cup, and SM. Plenty of racing going around the clock. Right now I'm enjoying trying to be fastest in Skippy qual and tt because my schedule doesn't fit the high sof races well.

#2004 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 7,992 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 19:20

That's what I mean, did that for about 2 years and got bored of those cars and tracks. Came close to winning the Star Mazda league which was probably the best times I had in iRacing in terms of large fields and close, good quality racing. The skippy was awful! Then moved up to the Indy Car and had a few good races but as the car performance increased, the fields spread out as the occupants reduced. Only really interested in the higher performance cars.

#2005 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 950 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:00

I've been thinking about getting into this a lot lately, I got a one month to try it out with a gamepad. do macs have issues with wheels?

#2006 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,268 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:54

Not sure but if it's a common brand wheel like Logitech you shouldn't have any issues.

Don't think it's worth bothering driving it with a gamepad to be honest. iRacing supports gamepads, but it'll be silly difficult, maybe more doable on ovals but very hard on road courses.

#2007 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 950 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:56

I've never owned a wheel before, although I'd really like a G27. I don't read good things about their build quality though.

#2008 chunder27

chunder27

• 452 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 17:52

Well I ahve had a G25 for about 5 years and it has never let me down

The only thing wrong with it is the sequential shifter has a habit of double shifting, but in Iracing you should be usaing the H gate or paddles anyway so it wouldnt mattter.

They are superb wheels, and you can pick up a G25 fairly cheap, I wouldnt go for a 27, they are really no different, just a few more buttons on the wheel.

Upwards of that you are getting into silly money 300 quid jobs.

#2009 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 950 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 20:43

I have a mac book pro that I planned on plugging into a 32" TV for this. I know it can handle iRacing just fine but I don't know if a G27 is compatible with a mac, I've been searching around and people seem to be having bad luck.I really don't want to fork out the money for a PC atm either.

Been researching more and it seems I can install windows through a program called "Boot Camp" after that the Wheels should work 100%, apparently they don't turn 900 degrees (or whatever it is) and don't have force feedback when on OSX.

Edited by MikeV1987, 08 January 2014 - 11:57.

#2010 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,268 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:58

It needs like a Porsche Supercup or GT3 car. Maybe a BMW WTCC, something in that category. A proper race car, but not something absurd like a Lotus/Indycar/DP/Corvette.

I was looking over the first few pages and found this funny, because that's precisely what we have now from this season onwards - a Porsche Supercup series and a GT3 series pairing the McLaren vs the Porsche. There was plans to have WTCC BMWs in iRacing too! (though not soon - the GT3 BMW takes precedence, will be the next road car, and I've not heard of the BMW and Honda touring cars iRacing had signed up for a very long time now).

I've joined the Supercup series this season and having a blast with it, gained over 300 iR in just 4 races with the Carrera Cup (Ruf C-Spec).  :cool: Now up to 2068 iRating which is my highest ranking ever.

Bathurst is so fun, every corner in the race is a challenge and to do well you just have to wait and pick up the bodies.  :p

#2011 wonk123

wonk123

• 861 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:12

I finally bought  a pc, and signed up to iracing, I am going ok on the ovals, but there is no way I can control the legends properly, and I used to race them. They were never as twitchy in real life. Also bought Mt Panorama, but not sure it is going to help with the hillclimb in 3 weeks, self preservation is really strong heading up into the cutting at 100+MPH lol

#2012 Youichi

Youichi

• 2,949 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:36

I finally bought  a pc, and signed up to iracing, I am going ok on the ovals, but there is no way I can control the legends properly, and I used to race them. They were never as twitchy in real life. Also bought Mt Panorama, but not sure it is going to help with the hillclimb in 3 weeks, self preservation is really strong heading up into the cutting at 100+MPH lol

Try a different setup, there's a thread on the forums with Legends Road setup which are much better than the baseline.

http://members.iraci...st/3233145.page

#2013 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,268 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:42

I remember jumping into the Legends in a week 13 funrace at Lime Rock, and being utterly puzzled at how everyone around me was able to lap 5 secs faster and actually able to control that thing... until I loaded up the default road course setup instead of the oval baseline. :lol: Yeah make sure you're not having the same problem.

6 races in a row gaining iRating with the C-Spec, now up to 2150 iRating.  :cool: I'm only annoyed I dropped a 2nd place in the top split with a dumb mistake smashing the wall with 2 laps to go in Bathurst, but still salvaged a 6th there.

#2014 P0inters

P0inters

• 387 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 22:14

Just got iRacing this morning and have been trying out the Street Stock and the Mazda all day. I did try 1 race with the Street Stock which didn't go so well but I'm more interested in the road side anyway. I did a few practice sessions and got my time down to a 1:05:6XX at Lime Rock Park. The problem is I can't seem to string together 2 laps in a row without crashing.  :lol: MaybeI'm just too used to more 'arcade' games like F1 2012 ? I'm really enjoying it nevertheless.

#2015 Youichi

Youichi

• 2,949 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:36

Just got iRacing this morning and have been trying out the Street Stock and the Mazda all day. I did try 1 race with the Street Stock which didn't go so well but I'm more interested in the road side anyway. I did a few practice sessions and got my time down to a 1:05:6XX at Lime Rock Park. The problem is I can't seem to string together 2 laps in a row without crashing.  :lol: MaybeI'm just too used to more 'arcade' games like F1 2012 ? I'm really enjoying it nevertheless.

Smooth, smooth and smooth ! The three most important things :)

Second most important, at least for me, is the Field of View (FOV), in sim, under the graphics options, there's a FOV calculator, get a tape measure, and set it as it tells you. If you are on a single monitor, you may feel you can't see any thing, but you'll have a much better view of the apexes.

When you can string together 5 laps, try a TT, or a ghost race. On the homepage, under events in the top menu, there is "Watch/Ghost/Crew/Spot" which allows you to spectate on a race, wait until the Mazda Cup race starts, the pick a race to Ghost, when the sim starts you can actually drive in the race, but no-one else can see you and you can't hit any one. It's a great way to practice racing without any risk.

Bear in mind that iRacing weeks, run Tuesday-Monday, so the track will change at midnight tonight. The Mazda Cup will be racing at Summit Point tomorrow.....

Remember, have fun :)

#2016 P0inters

P0inters

• 387 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 18:36

Smooth, smooth and smooth ! The three most important things :)

Second most important, at least for me, is the Field of View (FOV), in sim, under the graphics options, there's a FOV calculator, get a tape measure, and set it as it tells you. If you are on a single monitor, you may feel you can't see any thing, but you'll have a much better view of the apexes.

When you can string together 5 laps, try a TT, or a ghost race. On the homepage, under events in the top menu, there is "Watch/Ghost/Crew/Spot" which allows you to spectate on a race, wait until the Mazda Cup race starts, the pick a race to Ghost, when the sim starts you can actually drive in the race, but no-one else can see you and you can't hit any one. It's a great way to practice racing without any risk.

Bear in mind that iRacing weeks, run Tuesday-Monday, so the track will change at midnight tonight. The Mazda Cup will be racing at Summit Point tomorrow.....

Remember, have fun :)

Yeah , I realised it was changing last night. I've managed to get my time down to a 1:04:2 but I can consistently lap at around 1:04:5 for around 10 laps without crashing....

Still some work to do but I'm enjoying it and I'll take your advice into account. Thanks.  :kiss: