* * * * - 6 votes

iRacing.com

• Please log in to reply
2067 replies to this topic

#2001 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,332 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:02

Got a phone call from my credit card company the other day querying a payment from the US, the Indian fellow went on to explain said payment was from a company named "I-reecing.cum". They had blocked the annual payment as it was irregular. Haven't been on I-Racing for about 6 months so didn't re-register and membership has now lapsed. 

I-Racing was at it's best when driving in a high attendance league. Had some amazing fun in the lower leagues and a little bit in the Indycar league but the content is so spread out and sparse now that I find the opportunity for fun pick up races in challenging cars is so few and far between I've lost interest.

Advertisement

#2002 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,731 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 14:31

Is anyone still playing this? I went mad and got a 2 year sub when they did an offer. Since then my participation has been highly sporadic. And then I do play and they sucker me out of more money for new content. The Ruf is a fun car that I can see myself running. Bathurst is a fun track but I can't see myself reaching the point where it wouldn't be a SR pit (Montreal or Sao Paulo would have been a wiser investment)

I do regular races every week now, in the Ford GT. Thinking of switching to the Ruf next season.

You won't lose SR in Bathurst because the walls scare everyone, it's not like Spa where it's so easy to run a little wide everywhere and pick up incident points all race. The races I've done in Bathurst this season were surprisingly clean. It's a lot like Montreal actually - go slightly wide, race binned, therefore everyone plays it safe.

#2003 100cc

100cc

• 3,163 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 20:31

I-Racing was at it's best when driving in a high attendance league. Had some amazing fun in the lower leagues and a little bit in the Indycar league but the content is so spread out and sparse now that I find the opportunity for fun pick up races in challenging cars is so few and far between I've lost interest.

If the schedule of the lower participation series' doesn't work keep racing stuff like the Skippy, Mazda Cup, and SM. Plenty of racing going around the clock. Right now I'm enjoying trying to be fastest in Skippy qual and tt because my schedule doesn't fit the high sof races well.

#2004 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,332 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 19:20

That's what I mean, did that for about 2 years and got bored of those cars and tracks. Came close to winning the Star Mazda league which was probably the best times I had in iRacing in terms of large fields and close, good quality racing. The skippy was awful! Then moved up to the Indy Car and had a few good races but as the car performance increased, the fields spread out as the occupants reduced. Only really interested in the higher performance cars.

#2005 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 1,568 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:00

I've been thinking about getting into this a lot lately, I got a one month to try it out with a gamepad. do macs have issues with wheels?

#2006 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,731 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:54

Not sure but if it's a common brand wheel like Logitech you shouldn't have any issues.

Don't think it's worth bothering driving it with a gamepad to be honest. iRacing supports gamepads, but it'll be silly difficult, maybe more doable on ovals but very hard on road courses.

#2007 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 1,568 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:56

I've never owned a wheel before, although I'd really like a G27. I don't read good things about their build quality though.

#2008 chunder27

chunder27

• 980 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 17:52

Well I ahve had a G25 for about 5 years and it has never let me down

The only thing wrong with it is the sequential shifter has a habit of double shifting, but in Iracing you should be usaing the H gate or paddles anyway so it wouldnt mattter.

They are superb wheels, and you can pick up a G25 fairly cheap, I wouldnt go for a 27, they are really no different, just a few more buttons on the wheel.

Upwards of that you are getting into silly money 300 quid jobs.

#2009 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 1,568 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 20:43

I have a mac book pro that I planned on plugging into a 32" TV for this. I know it can handle iRacing just fine but I don't know if a G27 is compatible with a mac, I've been searching around and people seem to be having bad luck.I really don't want to fork out the money for a PC atm either.

Been researching more and it seems I can install windows through a program called "Boot Camp" after that the Wheels should work 100%, apparently they don't turn 900 degrees (or whatever it is) and don't have force feedback when on OSX.

Edited by MikeV1987, 08 January 2014 - 11:57.

#2010 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,731 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:58

It needs like a Porsche Supercup or GT3 car. Maybe a BMW WTCC, something in that category. A proper race car, but not something absurd like a Lotus/Indycar/DP/Corvette.

I was looking over the first few pages and found this funny, because that's precisely what we have now from this season onwards - a Porsche Supercup series and a GT3 series pairing the McLaren vs the Porsche. There was plans to have WTCC BMWs in iRacing too! (though not soon - the GT3 BMW takes precedence, will be the next road car, and I've not heard of the BMW and Honda touring cars iRacing had signed up for a very long time now).

I've joined the Supercup series this season and having a blast with it, gained over 300 iR in just 4 races with the Carrera Cup (Ruf C-Spec).  :cool: Now up to 2068 iRating which is my highest ranking ever.

Bathurst is so fun, every corner in the race is a challenge and to do well you just have to wait and pick up the bodies.  :p

#2011 wonk123

wonk123

• 949 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:12

I finally bought  a pc, and signed up to iracing, I am going ok on the ovals, but there is no way I can control the legends properly, and I used to race them. They were never as twitchy in real life. Also bought Mt Panorama, but not sure it is going to help with the hillclimb in 3 weeks, self preservation is really strong heading up into the cutting at 100+MPH lol

#2012 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,000 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:36

I finally bought  a pc, and signed up to iracing, I am going ok on the ovals, but there is no way I can control the legends properly, and I used to race them. They were never as twitchy in real life. Also bought Mt Panorama, but not sure it is going to help with the hillclimb in 3 weeks, self preservation is really strong heading up into the cutting at 100+MPH lol

Try a different setup, there's a thread on the forums with Legends Road setup which are much better than the baseline.

http://members.iraci...st/3233145.page

#2013 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,731 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:42

I remember jumping into the Legends in a week 13 funrace at Lime Rock, and being utterly puzzled at how everyone around me was able to lap 5 secs faster and actually able to control that thing... until I loaded up the default road course setup instead of the oval baseline. :lol: Yeah make sure you're not having the same problem.

6 races in a row gaining iRating with the C-Spec, now up to 2150 iRating.  :cool: I'm only annoyed I dropped a 2nd place in the top split with a dumb mistake smashing the wall with 2 laps to go in Bathurst, but still salvaged a 6th there.

#2014 P0inters

P0inters

• 421 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 22:14

Just got iRacing this morning and have been trying out the Street Stock and the Mazda all day. I did try 1 race with the Street Stock which didn't go so well but I'm more interested in the road side anyway. I did a few practice sessions and got my time down to a 1:05:6XX at Lime Rock Park. The problem is I can't seem to string together 2 laps in a row without crashing.  :lol: MaybeI'm just too used to more 'arcade' games like F1 2012 ? I'm really enjoying it nevertheless.

#2015 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,000 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:36

Just got iRacing this morning and have been trying out the Street Stock and the Mazda all day. I did try 1 race with the Street Stock which didn't go so well but I'm more interested in the road side anyway. I did a few practice sessions and got my time down to a 1:05:6XX at Lime Rock Park. The problem is I can't seem to string together 2 laps in a row without crashing.  :lol: MaybeI'm just too used to more 'arcade' games like F1 2012 ? I'm really enjoying it nevertheless.

Smooth, smooth and smooth ! The three most important things :)

Second most important, at least for me, is the Field of View (FOV), in sim, under the graphics options, there's a FOV calculator, get a tape measure, and set it as it tells you. If you are on a single monitor, you may feel you can't see any thing, but you'll have a much better view of the apexes.

When you can string together 5 laps, try a TT, or a ghost race. On the homepage, under events in the top menu, there is "Watch/Ghost/Crew/Spot" which allows you to spectate on a race, wait until the Mazda Cup race starts, the pick a race to Ghost, when the sim starts you can actually drive in the race, but no-one else can see you and you can't hit any one. It's a great way to practice racing without any risk.

Bear in mind that iRacing weeks, run Tuesday-Monday, so the track will change at midnight tonight. The Mazda Cup will be racing at Summit Point tomorrow.....

Remember, have fun :)

#2016 P0inters

P0inters

• 421 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 18:36

Smooth, smooth and smooth ! The three most important things :)

Second most important, at least for me, is the Field of View (FOV), in sim, under the graphics options, there's a FOV calculator, get a tape measure, and set it as it tells you. If you are on a single monitor, you may feel you can't see any thing, but you'll have a much better view of the apexes.

When you can string together 5 laps, try a TT, or a ghost race. On the homepage, under events in the top menu, there is "Watch/Ghost/Crew/Spot" which allows you to spectate on a race, wait until the Mazda Cup race starts, the pick a race to Ghost, when the sim starts you can actually drive in the race, but no-one else can see you and you can't hit any one. It's a great way to practice racing without any risk.

Bear in mind that iRacing weeks, run Tuesday-Monday, so the track will change at midnight tonight. The Mazda Cup will be racing at Summit Point tomorrow.....

Remember, have fun :)

Yeah , I realised it was changing last night. I've managed to get my time down to a 1:04:2 but I can consistently lap at around 1:04:5 for around 10 laps without crashing....

Still some work to do but I'm enjoying it and I'll take your advice into account. Thanks.  :kiss:

#2017 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,731 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 15:35

I'm on a good run lately again, up to a new personal high iRating record of 2399.

Recommend you guys to join the Ruf Cup next season (if you're not doing it already), we've got a wacky schedule with many alternate configurations and underused tracks:

Week 1 Watkins Glen International - Cup 
Week 2 Silverstone Circuit - National
Week 3 Circuit of the Americas - West 
Week 4 Oran Park Raceway - Grand Prix
Week 5 Barber Motorsports Park - Short A
Week 6 Oulton Park Circuit - Island 
Week 7 Lime Rock Park - Full Course
Week 8 Circuit Zolder - Grand Prix 
Week 9 Okayama International Circuit - Full Course
Week 10 Brands Hatch Circuit - Indy
Week 11 Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course 
Week 12 Zandvoort - Grand Prix

New build is planned to be out tomorrow with the new BMW Z4 GT3, COTA, IRP short oval, traction control on many cars, NTMv5 on a bunch of oval cars, paintable rims, and maybe some further extras.

#2018 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 2,906 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:42

I have a mac book pro that I planned on plugging into a 32" TV for this. I know it can handle iRacing just fine but I don't know if a G27 is compatible with a mac, I've been searching around and people seem to be having bad luck.I really don't want to fork out the money for a PC atm either.

Been researching more and it seems I can install windows through a program called "Boot Camp" after that the Wheels should work 100%, apparently they don't turn 900 degrees (or whatever it is) and don't have force feedback when on OSX.

You are an Apple user and never heard of Boot Camp before? Whoa, that's tough, it's a native windows system. you can install windows like you were using it on a normal computer. I did install it on my Mac Book Pro, to play games, works like a charm. 

#2019 BCM

BCM

• 296 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:29

Haven't been able to race for a month whilst waiting for repairs for my HPP pedals.

Advertisement

#2020 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 4,602 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:23

Been driving the Ford Spec Racer lately, and although not the fastest car at offer, i do love the way i can really push when driving it. It allows for a bit of overdriving when you get a bit too excited, and it doesn't  bite as much as some of the more powerfull cars do. I would not say i'm fast with it, but atleast i feel fast when i wrestle it around the track :p

#2021 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,523 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 19:25

I signed up today for the free 3-month promo, with the cars/tracks listed here http://www.iracing.c...urburgring1000/

The combo I'm happiest with, well the only one I'm happy with, is MX-5 at Lime Rock. I'm down to high 1:02s but admit I'm not only slow but mostly clueless.

I got a really cheap gamepad at Radioshack(because I don't have a wheel and probably wont get one in the immediate future). It's not too bad, it seems like they set the gamepad profile pretty well. Steering feels about okay? I seem to be getting enough lock.

http://www.radioshac...alue=RadioShack

It doesn't have pressure triggers on the front so I have to use the thumb sticks. Left is for steering, right-forward is braking, right-back is accelerate.

I think a wheel would make a big difference though :lol:

I'm a little confused about the characteristics of the MX5

1. It's FWD?

2. If so, how come I can't just boot the throttle when I'm starting to spin and save it, like touring car

3. In fact if I just tab at the corner in any ind of incident, I don't really get wheelspin. I get scrub and screeching, but now spin up

4. I don't seem to lock the brakes either, and if I go muscling into turn 1 I don't get anywhere like the kind of tire noise someone on a super hot lap does. I'd expect to at least hear the load as I sail off into the forest :cool:

When I do feel comfortable enough to ruin my SR(and probably my credit rating) for life, where do you find or host races? The brower interface is a bit mysterious to me.

#2022 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,523 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 21:30

I figured out how to join races so have had a comedic MX5 race at Okayama(somehow I started in reverse) and a brutal 40 laps of streetstock at USA Speedway. Man, understeer city.

#2023 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,000 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:48

I signed up today for the free 3-month promo, with the cars/tracks listed here http://www.iracing.c...urburgring1000/

The combo I'm happiest with, well the only one I'm happy with, is MX-5 at Lime Rock. I'm down to high 1:02s but admit I'm not only slow but mostly clueless.

I got a really cheap gamepad at Radioshack(because I don't have a wheel and probably wont get one in the immediate future). It's not too bad, it seems like they set the gamepad profile pretty well. Steering feels about okay? I seem to be getting enough lock.

http://www.radioshac...alue=RadioShack

It doesn't have pressure triggers on the front so I have to use the thumb sticks. Left is for steering, right-forward is braking, right-back is accelerate.

I think a wheel would make a big difference though :lol:

I'm a little confused about the characteristics of the MX5

1. It's FWD?

2. If so, how come I can't just boot the throttle when I'm starting to spin and save it, like touring car

3. In fact if I just tab at the corner in any ind of incident, I don't really get wheelspin. I get scrub and screeching, but now spin up

4. I don't seem to lock the brakes either, and if I go muscling into turn 1 I don't get anywhere like the kind of tire noise someone on a super hot lap does. I'd expect to at least hear the load as I sail off into the forest :cool:

When I do feel comfortable enough to ruin my SR(and probably my credit rating) for life, where do you find or host races? The brower interface is a bit mysterious to me.

First of all, welcome aboard, remember the 1st rule of Rookie, is get out of Rookie, it's full of people who have no idea how to drive, and are using gamepads.....

2nd rule is buy a wheel, A Logitech Driving Force GT can be had for around $70, and is more than good enough.

1) The MX-5 is Front engine RWD.

2) See 1.

3) It's woefully under powered.

4) The MX-5 has ABS, your FF should be juddering the gamepad ? But its possible your gamepad is not allowing you to exert enough force on the "brake pedal" In the controller options, there's a "brake force" slider, try increasing it.

There's a good collection of "Essential reading for Beginners" here :-

http://members.iraci...27.page#2946101

#2024 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,523 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:47

Well, that explains a lot about the MX5....

I was wondering why I couldn't get any brake lockup no matter what I did. Though you can certainly overload the fronts and run wide. But if you don't have some brake on you'll slide off the road, even if you're basically under cornering speed. It seems very tire sensitive, which is good. But frustrating.

But even the streetstock seems a little driver-aided(I checked, I have nothing on). I mean, compared to something like NASCAR 2003 where it's very very easy to get brake lock. Different cars obviously, but you know what I mean. I figured in iRacing on a Gamepad it'd be tire smoke everywhere. Entering turns, leaving turns, etc.

The gamepad isn't too bad, but it's no wheel. I think there are coordination advantages nevermind the amount of travel in the controls.

The driving standards at the starts are awful. Come on folks, we're all going to get penalty points on our own, let's not hit each other several times in the first three corners and get DQ'd. I backed out of a three wide which we could have easily made, because we're beginners. So the idiot behind us needs to not go steaming into the first turn in a car that doesn't like to....

Oh, okay. I can adjust the amount of steering lock in the controller(not just in setup). Now I got oversteer problems in the streetstock :lol: A crappy lap is faster than my previous best though. But far more likely to loop it, whereas before I was just slow and stable.

Edited by Ross Stonefeld, 08 August 2014 - 14:29.

#2025 MaxScelerate

MaxScelerate

• 4,300 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 14:53

Noobs often have no idea what speed and braking length they'll need on a race start because they've only ever came up on Turn-1 on a hotlap, never (well, not often enough) thought about trying a start from the line.

#2026 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,523 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 21:29

With 24 hours and a steering lock change, my life is transformed. P3 in MX5 and some strong qualifiyings and runs in Streestock at USA International Whatever. But on the ovals there's always some rookie who doesn't know how to end an accident. They drive back onto the track, or wander down the banking, or whatever. And if you've already comitted to the corner you can't do anything. If you lift or brake you're just going to spin into them anyways.

(btw again with the no brake locking, I expect when the stockcar goes around that if I cram the brakes on all four wheels will lock and I'll slide at a tangent to my current line, not keep rotating? It's like the brakes won't actually lock up fully, though I can certainly get the inside front to if I totally screw up a corner entry).

So in SR terms do the gains come more from results, performance, or avoidance? Because I thought starting on the first two rows of an oval and being courteous would get me somewhere. No, still getting sucked into the same incidents. Can I sit in the pits for a race and get a clean sheet? :lol: I could crawl around at the back, but then I'd just be in the way and likely to get runover by the leaders. I may hold off on oval races until next week when they go to Charlotte. Though that could be strange. The streetstock is flat everywhere on the NASCAR oval and the Legends oval is too small...

Is there more than Streetstock or MX5 that I can run as a rookie that will count towards my license? Those seem to be the only two I'm eligible for.

#2027 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 2,163 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 21:38

Ross, I recently bought a wheel, and I have to say: don't expect improvements in your times immediately. The great thing about Gamepads (I have used an Xbox controller on my pc for years) is that it allows you to give enough deadzone or reduced steering sensitivity, that with some searching you can set-up a gamepad to react blindingly quick and still have some leeway in the responses of the car.

I bought a wheel two months ago and I am so slow with it, I lost my appetite for gaming a bit. I know you have experience with real car-racing, but just saying...

#2028 MaxScelerate

MaxScelerate

• 4,300 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 22:49

Okay.

SR is only dependent on ONE thing only and that is your incident per corner ratio (incidents being the 1x off-roads, 2x spins, 4x contacts, etc.). It is also a running average so after maybe 1,000 corners or so on your history, oldest ones get removed as new ones come in. SR is what licenses are made of.

Then there's iRating which compares you against other people. When you enter a race, everyone pitches in some points (the more you have, the more you "bet") then at race end they're distributed according to finishing position.  iRating is hidden from Rookie drivers, which doesn't mean it's unaccounted for.

You'll be out of Rookies as soon as you hit 3.0 on the SR scale. 

#2029 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,523 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:07

Okay that makes a lot of sense, and I think it's clever they way they have the ratings and licensing set up. Not only matches the drivers well(outside the sadism that is rookies on a short oval) but forces you to learn.

Today I'm confused by brake bias. Can I even adjust it in-car? MX5 and Streetstock don't seem to have one(whether fixed setup{duh} or in open test) but I can't get it work in the Cadillac on any track, and I know that thing has a brake bias adjustor...

The Cadillac is a thoroughly unpleasant car. It's very twitchy. Not in a slideway, but a stupid binary way.

#2030 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:31

The cadi with a game-pad sounds like utter hell. 

You can't change it's brake bias becuase of the fixed setup. If you were running just a private test you could make all the adjustments your heart desires. 

PS You're never going to get out of rookie with 15 incidents a race dude  :p

Edited by ApexMouse, 09 August 2014 - 12:34.

#2031 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,523 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:40

That was probably the race where people over-doing the pace laps caused 12x before we went green :lol:

I can't get any brake adjustment in the Cadillac in an open test. I've tried mapping controller keys, keyboard keys, etc. If it's making an adjustment I'm not getting any on-screen indication. Either a message or movement on the dash. And it doesn't seem to be showing up in the braking either.

#2032 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:44

Ahhhh, 

Firstly, make sure you're launching from the separate 'test' menu - not the 'test car on track' option from the race now section - If you follow. 

Secondly, there isn't a dash display for it (in most cars, becuase Iracing). You have to cycle through the function keys to the penultimate box (F11 I think) and it's there.

#2033 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,523 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:51

Yeah I tried that, Test rather than Test in the Race box, which is still fixed setup. And that's why I tried the Cadillac becuase there's no way it's on fixed setup, went to Lime Rock, etc etc.

On the Function key, there's a page for Brake Bias, ABS, and TC. I can adjust ABS and TC using the arrow keys or the mouse. I can adjust ABS using the button I have mapped on the controller.

Brake bias (listed at 3%) isn't moving with mouse, keyboard, or controller button. Is this a Cadillac fluke? If its got ABS maybe you can't adjust the bias since the brakes already adjust the end that needs work?

Edited by Ross Stonefeld, 09 August 2014 - 12:52.

#2034 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 13:13

This is wierd. I've just hopped in it and I can adjust it, with the arrow Keys or my mapped buttons. Though it's only 3% or lower into negatives. I'm not sure what else to suggest  :well:

#2035 Linear90

Linear90

• 24 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 21:35

For anyone that might be interested I can tell you that the DW12 is awesome. It might not be a beginners car, but it is a joy to drive and race. If you're new or looking to get help in iracing, send me a message and I can hopefully point you in the right direction. Not the fastest but got a good grasp of iracing and what you need to do to be fast.

#2036 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,523 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 15:50

Well my first week is over and it's been pretty bloody. But I'm getting there. Turned a few poles into last place finishes, led a decent amount of laps, had a race long battle for the win with a real-life oval racer.

I think the Gamepad helps you catch a slide, but it probably causes more than you would otherwise have. I lack that really fine control that keeps these Rookie cars on top of their tires. There's a tempting $200 G27 online...

Charlotte is my Vietnam, you just can't stay out of trouble there, and I run at the front often.

A little confused by the physics on the Streetstock though. Still next to impossible to get wheelspin. The backend will go around if you over load the suspension/tire or you get hit, but actually on-throttle spin up? I got pushed into a 360 while leading just now and kept the throttle pegged the entire time. Not a chirp. Likewise at USA Speedway I'd expect(and would really like) to be able to drive it a bit on throttle from the middle of the turn onwards. Help it rotate some more. It can get sideways as you hit the straight, a real ently drift, if you're really hard on the throttle through the corner, but no wheelspin. Compared to NASCAR 2003 which would smoke the tires at the slightest use of the throttle or brake. Okay that's a Cup car with 800hp and a Streetstock has like 350, but under load it should be able to yaw/oversteer in the turn.

Just for fun I got the Skip Barber and Road America, a combo I've driven in the real world. I am completely lost. It's like I've never had experience of either. But I just have to twitch my thumb to get full brake lock where in the real car you have to use your leg a bit. So the calibration between my memory and the controls is probably causing most of my problems.

#2037 Red17

Red17

• 3,390 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 19:16

There's a tempting $200 G27 online...

If you are an ex-racer that is probably your best choice, I have a DFGT and while it fits my budget and needs very well I admit it may be a little too plastic for some people (but has a very usefull D pad for navigating menus) and it lacks a clutch by default, I read reports of people sucessfully replacing the pedals of the DFGT with better ones so chances are the G27 (made by Logictech, same as the DFGT) may be improved.

The G27 looks like a serious wheel by just looking at it (I have inspected one, but didn't trial it "on track"), has some real neat paddle shifters (the ones in the DFGT are mini, but I happen to reach them just fine), the gearbox is on a standalone unit and can be configured for manual or sequencial shifting (on the DFGT you have only a sequencial shifter that is atached to the right side of the wheel) and the pedals are made of metal (full plastic on the DFGT), the wheel size is generous, much larger than the DFGT (oddly enough, the size of the DFGT wheel was about the same size of my Civic wheel) and seems to be more light on turning, the DFGT wheel, even with the FF engine off (you will need to learn this trick if you are planning on taking your G27 for a spin in some earlier Papyrus sims) doesn't feel completly free. One word of note, it may not be completly fair to compare the DFGT and the G27 (or it's predecessor the G25), the DFGT is essentially a wheel made for Playstation 2, so it looks consolish, but I hear a lot of praise for the DFGT for it's price tag and performance, I supose the fact you can mod it also helps and of course it's cheaper than the G27.

My personal opinion is that the G27 is for more serious people and the DFGT is for people who want a good wheel but can't or don't want to spend money for a top of the line wheel that they probably won't use to it's fullest anyway.

I haven't touched iRacing for some years (quit before the Mazda and Streetstock came along) but to this day it still is the only sim where I felt my DFGT was being used to it's full.

One word of warning, pedals seem to be sensitive area on these things, I can confirm the strenght of my DFGT pedals isnt right, the brake is probably ok, but the accelarator spring is so weak that it's hard not to floor the pedal completly. I would assume the springs on the G27 are better, but don't be surprised if you dont find those to your liking.

One last thing, I hear Logictech will stop making those wheels.

#2038 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,523 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 19:39

I was orginally looking around for a DFT but the G27 but at 200 it's like 1/3 cheaper, so why not spend the little bit extra over a DFGT. Otherwise I'd get that and do one of the home-made mods. My fav on YouTube was putting a squash ball behind the pedal mechanism to give it some resistance. I looked on my club forum on iRacing and I guy was upgrading his home cockpit and was getting rid of his G27 for 100 bucks, but that's a thread a few weeks too old now...

I'm not bothered about paddles/gearshifts/etc. I just want a half decent wheel and pedals with strong enough springs. Last wheel I had was in the 90s, a Thrustmaster T2.

#2039 Red17

Red17

• 3,390 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 20:33

I was orginally looking around for a DFT but the G27 but at 200 it's like 1/3 cheaper, so why not spend the little bit extra over a DFGT. Otherwise I'd get that and do one of the home-made mods. My fav on YouTube was putting a squash ball behind the pedal mechanism to give it some resistance. I looked on my club forum on iRacing and I guy was upgrading his home cockpit and was getting rid of his G27 for 100 bucks, but that's a thread a few weeks too old now...

I'm not bothered about paddles/gearshifts/etc. I just want a half decent wheel and pedals with strong enough springs. Last wheel I had was in the 90s, a Thrustmaster T2.

Yeah, sometimes going a bit over the budget can pay off, except on my case I was looking for a Momo, The Momo was available for like 75 eur, there was also a bunch of Trustmaster wheels on the same price tag, My budget was 100 but somehow I didnt like the Momo, I decided to overblow my budged in an excess of 50 Eur and get the DFGT, there were no G25 around, this was at a time when the G27 was still in development and G25 reviews ranged from great to dismay.

One last thing about iRacing, back in the day you could sort of cheat your way out of rookie, run the minimum races as if are Tiago Monteiro nursing the Jordan to the end and invest your time on time trials, at least I think doing time trials also cleaned up your rating.

Ah the days... I still recall doing Laguna Seca with the Pontiac and thinking "hmmm... the road ends here, must the corkscrew, so where do i end if I turn around... HERE?". I eventually figured the best spot to aim the car after some carefull measuring of the gravel trap.

Advertisement

#2040 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,523 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 23:55

There's a tree on the outside of the exit that you aim for, basically. I'm not entirely sure which tree...

Is there a good rule of thumb on the cockpit view settings? Both FOV and height? I'm using the FOV wizard currently. Though given we all have the same kind of eyes the FOV should be based entirely on your monitor size and nothing else...

I found lowering myself in the Skip worked a litle so I could see the RPM guage.

btw I'm a D on ovals now. Probably because I started making Rookie moves with a Veteran's discretion. (I'm in blue and it's for the lead in the final laps)

#2041 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 14:44

It's the monitor size and your distance from it. The Wizard always gives me 45, which is unusable so I use 55-60. 

Fast track oval you say? I say 3 weeks and you're in the Sprint Cup for realz. 

#2042 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,523 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 15:47

Are you on multiple monitors? I have no idea what's going on around me at anything less than 70. I think the view of the corners is a little more real but it's like going about your day with binoculars on.

#2043 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 1,098 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:14

About wheels, or rather pedals - quality cost but it really change the game. A pressure sensitive brake pedal is, in my opinion, a must.

I use Fanatec Clubsports, but these are a bit cheaper and also have a load cell:
http://www.fanatec.c...-pedals-eu.html

The wheel is of course important as well, but the load cell brake is allowing you to brake as you do with a normal car - muscle memory.

#2044 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 20:00

Single monitor Ross. It's really helpfull for depth perception and sensation of speed, but it makes side by side stuff rather stressfull. 

Yeah, I have a the nixim load cell mod, it really is night and day. 

#2045 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,523 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 13:57

G25 for 125, good condition, on the iRacing forum. Should I pick it up?

Guy was selling his G27 a few days ago for the same price but that went within a few hours.

#2046 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 15:13

I would say yeah. That's a very good price if it is good nick. Don't think the G27 will on sale for that price from retailers any time soon. 

#2047 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 1,098 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 18:42

Only two buttons on the G25?

#2048 MaxScelerate

MaxScelerate

• 4,300 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:44

Right, only two on the wheel. There's a lot of them on the stick shift extension, but it's not as easy to reach for.

Still, a good wheel.

#2049 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,523 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 16:18

Anyone who has the previous version Dallara (The IR05, the ugly one), next time you fire up the game can you test something for me?

I got a gift card for my birthday so naturally I got one, just to play around with. It's as terrible as I expected it to be with a gamepad :lol:

But I get no wheelspin? Like, in a slow corner if I hammer it sure it spins. But If I rev it to the max in neutral in the pits and put it in first it just drops to like 3000rpm in 1st and chugs along until it's time to get to second. Same thing if I spin out. If I start from 0mph in 1st, it doesn't light up the tires.

Is this a tire model thingy that the old car doesn't have certain things? Because I also have a NASCAR for the Rookie Carberator Cup, and damn does that thing spin the wheels. My problem there is barely being able to get out of the pitlane in one piece or even in one direction*

If the Indycar wheelspins I have some strange problem. If it doesn't, I'll take it to the iRacing forum for the Nerd Answer.

*Harry is my favourite

#2050 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 13:44

The tyre/transmission model doesn't really do burnouts from standstill. The DW12 is exactly the same. Redline it first and bin the clutch and nothing happens. I fear you may need a nerd answer.