iRacing.com

• Please log in to reply
2052 replies to this topic

#201 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,317 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:25

Hey guys quick update and Qs after my first month with iRacing:

First off really enjoying it. The level of competition and personal responsibility of online opponents is refreshing (99% of the time anyway). The realism of the track surfaces and how the different cars feel on them is excellent, probably the sims strongest unique feature for me.

Ive signed up on the $75 (£47) for a year subs and havnt bought any extra content yet as wanted to get up to speed with what was included (Solstice, Legend, Spec) and after probably 5-10 hours a week racing over a month I think Ive done that and need to move on but doing so feels expensive after such a short period. Im thinking of buying the skip barber and/or the late model and then a few of the required tracks. Is this the best combo to get good bang for buck as the series have a couple of tracks I already have? Im most interested in the series that have the best racing with alot of comptetitors. My MPR (minimum participation rating) seems like it cant be improved until I buy more content, is that correct?

Advertisement

#202 karlth

karlth

• 16,248 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 13:46

If you have raced the Spec Ford you'll find the Skip Barber to be a very similar car. If your rating or SR allows it the Formula Mazda could be an option as well.

#203 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 20:22

Yeah, if youve done your MPR and the little pop-up thing says 'youve done your MPR!' then you need to go up a level, atleast as far as getting a fast-track for the next licence level. But as I found, you can skip licence levels to save on buying cars/tracks youre not really in to. I went from rookie to D purely in the legends. At D level, the MPR didnt count coz i was still running rookie races, but my SR kept going up, i hit 4.99 and went to C while still in legends. When I got the truck, that counted towards my C MPR and i bypassed D races all together.

So you dont have to buy cars and tracks for every level if you dont want.

Im sticking more to the road side, but you cant beat the skippy. Its always got a race going, usually into splits, and its fun. This season at least, the skippys and mazdas share alot of tracks. Im sure theyll change it around next season, but if you bought all the skippy tracks , youd probably have 50-70% of the mazda tracks covered as well. Ive just started on the mazdas and it felt like more of a step up than it was to the skippy, but still fun.

As for ovals, depends what you like. But in my 'research' ( :lol: ) I found that trucks/impalas tend to share a lot of the larger tracks, and the late mods/SK/ silver crown (kinda) share alot of smaller tracks. So while theres 11ty billion ovals, if you choose a short or long track path youre cutting the amount of tracks you 'need' to buy in half.

Next seasons track list will be out in the next few weeks. so you could hang off just to see if there is a massive difference in tracks next time. Having said that, if you went and got the skippy and say the last 2 tracks for the season (watkins and mosport) im sure those 2 tracks will pop up pretty regular in a few different series.

BTW, i know im slow and all, but it only just dawned on me (and karlth's post reminded me) this week how similar the SRF and skippys are. Feel wise theyre similar, although the SRF is alot more....harsh on the whole 'you got off the throttle in a corner...off you go!' type stuff. What made it click was running the srf at lowes road yesterday. Skippy PB is mid 24, SRF is low 23. At laguna its 43's vs 41's.... Speeds at most places around the track are basically the same, brake points pretty much the same etc etc. So if youve done SRF's you shouldnt need a million laps to relearn a track.

Edited by Nasty McBastard, 05 January 2010 - 20:32.

#204 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,239 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 23:31

Tenmantaylor if you still enjoy the Rookie content and think there is still things you can learn in them and have fun in them you should not feel like you would HAVE to buy a different car just because you got a higher license. Enjoy and learn the most out of what you already own. You will see alot of people who are Class B, Class A or even Pro like to get back to lower level cars just because the racing is closer and the races are'nt as long and demanding as the IndyCars or NASCAR cars...

Having said that... if you want to move up you could get the Mazda but I would not skip the Skippy. The car is alot of fun and you can improve your driving skill's with it as it teaches oversteer control and the racing is close and fun usually. You could go straight to the Formula Mazda but I wouldnt recommend it. There are some people who think one has to progress up the ladder as fast as possible to get to the strongest car as soon as possible, but they cant enjoy the product as much as they could because the journey is its own reward.

#205 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,317 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 00:07

Cheers for the feedback guys. Im not in a rush to go up the license grades. Im grade D in road and oval atm with SRs both high 3s, well, road was high 3s until Spec racer at summit point week which can get pretty wrecky so back down to lower 3s now. The spec racer is the only car I havnt quite got the winning knack of yet and a new track just come up in race week, charlotte infield which ive not tried yet. I seem to be getting slower in the rookie legend at sobo too, was 3 tenths off the pace the other day of some pro guys, how are they doing 17.8s/9s?!?!

#206 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:02

The other thing about getting a car for each level is time. Ive had oodles of free time over the chrissy break, and sometimes it still feels like i havent got into a series on some weeks. Im finding that skippys and mazdas are about enough for me. Or on a week where i have the track, the trucks as well.

Im sure itll help when Im not having to learn new tracks from scratch. I found the amount of prac i needed in the skippy at laguna was bugger all, thanks to the SRF and solstice. And even with it being a brand new car for me, i spent less time in prac at road atlanta mazda's thanks to being there the week before in the skippy.

But it all adds up. I generally need 1/2 hour in a test for a new track, and probably a good hour or so in prac sessions untill im consistent enough to think about races. Then Ill time trial the place to make sure i can string laps together...THEN ill race. So like 2 hours per track per car, when the track is new, over 2 or 3 cars...before racing... Im sure there will be times when id be lucky to spare 6 hours in a week, never mind extra for races.
Mind you, i jumped in a SRF race at lowes after about 20 min, just coz i knew the place.... and come 4th. So next season I shouldnt need to use that much time just preparing for a race.

I half thought about jumping in a vette when i had c4.99 (for about half a day) but man....im just feeling comfortable/racey in a skippy now after like 6 weeks, and am still learning the mazda, never mind the vette too. Id spend all week in testing/prac.

Ive totaly lost the hang of legends lately, probably because im only spending 20 min a week in them, and thats mostly just for a SR cruise in a race or 2.

#207 Exar Kun

Exar Kun

• 1,169 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 21:54

Yeah, time is the killer. I managed a couple of Skippy races over the break, and even a Late Model one but typically I race once a week in the Dallara and that's it. My work up time to a race is similar to Nasty's - usually a couple of hours before I consider doing an actual race.

#208 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,239 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 22:56

Thats one of the hardest things to do, switching between cars constantly, the Pontiac, SRF, Skippy, Mazda or Corvette are all so different.

#209 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:22

Ive pretty much dumped the solstice. since ive been in the skippy and spending more time in the SRF and mazda, ive started to hate it. Im slower than i used to be and the thing just seems to push like a truck, so its one less thing to worry about.

Now seems to be the time to do Mazda's at mosport, noones practised by the looks of it. It had me 8th out of 15 on the grid, but i wussed out and started from pit lane..... Finished 4th and i think i passed 2 cars on the road lol. Seems if you can keep it on the track, youve got a top 5 going.

Had an awesome scrap at RA in the skippy, 3 of us, nice and clean, lots of drafting etc. Managed to get through to the front, edge a gap and then dropped it in the kink for the first time since my 1st test session there :(

Clawed my way up to Oval B today as well, and one more mazda race and im Road B. I wont be running the cars any time soon, but its nice to be green instead of yellow. been stuck on that for weeks.

#210 Exar Kun

Exar Kun

• 1,169 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:47

I did a practice session in the Skippy at RA last night - I couldn't believe when I saw what track was being run this week. Enough time on the straights to stick a brick on the throttle, go do a piss, come back and settle in for the braking zone. :D Still cool though - so much emphasis on getting out of the corners well. I would lose a tenth or two by breaking too early for a corner but if I went the other way and screwed the exit it'd be at least half a second if not more.

Wish I had time to do a race - the battles must be amazing.

#211 Mat

Mat

• 7,674 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:26

I am very keen to do a Skippy race at RA as well, but im in the same boat as you guys and want to prepare more for it. I usually like the spend an hour doing an open practice session and then try and knock off a couple of TT's and a Q session before starting a race. I always start in my grid position and always qualify as well. I am getting much more comfortable with racing to turn 1 now after forcing myself to do it every time.

At the moment i am having trouble deciding what to race. Like has been mentioned it is really hard to jump from one car to the other and still be competitive. I am still enjoying it though and not caring too much about overall results and just wanting to enjoy the racing so i am doing races in the Advanced Legend, SRF, Skippy, Late Model, SK and the Trucks when i can. It usually means only 1 race per series per week but its great mixing it up and trying so many different circuits.

although id like to try the COT and IndyCar im not so fussed anymore. I already have more than i know what to race with and the great thing is i am no longer caring too much about my SR as its just moving up steadily.

#212 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 20:01

You couldnt have a bigger difference between skippys at RA and mazdas at mosport. Even though I didnt see a car for like 25 laps, i dont think i blinked at mosport. youre always in a corner, every corner can bite your arse, and every corner is right on the limit.
The skippys are like a sunday drive across the nullabor... ive never checked out the scenery so much. Its funny, similar lap times to sebring, but that place feels much busier.

That kink is messing with my head. Now that ive binned it once, im turning in early and losing it on exit when i run out of room, or turning in late and needing to lift a bit (which is instant spin), clipping the inside curb....you name it. Almost as bad as t6 at laguna. Its suddenly gone from a place i never thought about, to just surviving it each lap.

#213 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,283 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:59

You should be flat, or pretty near to it. In the sense that if you ****-up the entry a little you might need to breathe the throttle (but not a proper 'lift') mid-corner but otherwise its a non issue.

Try a little bit of kerb on the entry, on the left side, but when I say a little I mean like an inch. In real life we'd only use enough kerb that we werent actually running over the rumbling bits. Likewise the kerb on the inside is actually quite flat so if you use it on a wide arc you'll be fine. Hitting it briefly and sharply can upset the car, but if you open up the corner significantly and run the kerbs you tend to drive straight over the top of them rather than bouncing over them.

The more adventurous tried mini Scandanavian-flicks on the entry. Because Skips have so much body roll, if you gave a gentle left turn, and I mean super gentle, before your proper turn, you put a little weight transfer on the right side of the car for when you actually began your turn. Those cars are notorious for needing load on the nose to turn, and since you don't brake for that turn, or even lift significantly on the entry, you had to find another way to get the car to rotate.

But not a big turn to the left. Just enough to start using up the kerb on the entry and have the wheel barely past center, and then start turning to the right. Its one of those things that might be hard to do in a virtual environment because you can't feel the where the kerb stops being flat likewise can't feel how the car is sitting on it's suspension.

#214 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 22:43

I think ive solved my problems there by pretty much doing what you mentioned ross. Im sure 90% of it was just in my head but i discovered its quite happy if i actually pinch a bit of the curb on the left before turn in and that opens the corner up just that little bit more. Sometimes i think i do it a touch too much and get a tiny slide on, doesnt do anything, but i hear a slight 'squeal' and it scrubs off 1 or 2 mph, but its better than knocking the wall down. Dont know why i hadnt tried it before, its not like the curbs there seem to bother the car at all.

Anyway, survived 2 races and the only inc i got was when some dick decided to recover from his spin at t3 (or is it 4? the left hander) by doing a u-turn across the road while i was in the middle of a pass on another guy about 2 sec behind him. Had to totaly cut the apex and had all 4 wheels on the grass, and still only missed getting hit by...well....not much. The guy he took out initially did the exact same thing except he managed to tbone the guy stuck on my outside.

2 guys sitting on the outside directly facing oncomming traffic, and rather than wait 2 or 3 sec, or turn to their left and use that 100 square km of runoff to do their u-turn, do it right across the apex blocking the entire road between the 2 of them. First time ive seriously considered a protest under Section 523.35..45.2b - being a complete cockmonger.

#215 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 4,592 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 14:25

After quite a few months with an unstable computer (random crashes/freezes in games, sometimes bluescreen/reboot) i winXP) and virtually no iracing for me (not that i was the most active driver ever), i finaly ordered a new computer last night. So now i hope that the new computer will do the trick, so that will be able to drive again  :clap:  

Never stopped the iracing subscription though, and even bought a few new cars and track while not being able to play them much. The prefered car of those i've managed to drive a bit before the troubles started though, was the ford spec racer... a little gem of a car, although a bit more power would have been nice (not too much though, as it would upset the sweet handling this car have)

on a side note, the new rig is an amd phenom II X4 3.2ghz (quadcore) "955 black edition" or so, with a ati 5850 gfxcard and 4gb ram, as it was a "cheap" combo of good gfxcard and decent cpu. Guess my old rig with a pentium e8500 (dualcore 3.16) was pretty fast cpu vice, but the dated Nvidia 8800gts gfxcard was showing its age at most games. Not sure if Iracing is taking advantage of the extra 2 cores though, and the AMD is, as i understand, slower mhz for mhz vs the intel chip. Still, should do pretty ok i hope :)

Oh, and perhaps i should look into GPL again, with the Targa floria. When i last updated my computer, i never bothered getting GPL to work, so i guess i have a bit of catching up to do in that departement too, with widescreen hack, long track hack, mods etc... 

#216 karlth

karlth

• 16,248 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 17:54

on a side note, the new rig is an amd phenom II X4 3.2ghz (quadcore) "955 black edition" or so, with a ati 5850 gfxcard and 4gb ram, as it was a "cheap" combo of good gfxcard and decent cpu. Guess my old rig with a pentium e8500 (dualcore 3.16) was pretty fast cpu vice, but the dated Nvidia 8800gts gfxcard was showing its age at most games. Not sure if Iracing is taking advantage of the extra 2 cores though, and the AMD is, as i understand, slower mhz for mhz vs the intel chip. Still, should do pretty ok i hope :)

If available then iRacing uses one core for the physics and the second core for graphics. Future versions will exploit cores 3 and 4 if available.

#217 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 00:21

Ive had a few days off... combination of being too drunk, being too hot to sit in the oven that is my spare room, and not wanting to push my luck and go for an extra race and bugger my scores.

Ive noticed this week comming, all my cars... SRF, skippy and mazda are at WG boot. Dont need to learn the track, or worry about different tracks. Can hopefully just jump in and get racing on the first day, which i dont think ive ever done.

Dont know what division level you guys are at, but ive noticed some good results lately. Im 30th for the season in my division and 6th for TT's having only done 6 weeks for the skippy. 12th and 3rd(tt's) in the SRF only having done 6 weeks. And in the top half for the mazda after only 2 weeks. Not bad for less than 2 months at iracing in total. Kinda looking forward to getting a full season in over the next few months and seeing what damage i can do.

BTW, regarding your new rig mahelgel, the PC im using is similar, think its 3.2ghz dialcore, 4gb ram and a similar card (dont remember exactly) and it runs awsomely, ive got most things cranked up to full and hover around 80-100 FPS. Occasionaly at places like road america ill get random slumps down to 40-50ish for a few sec, and thats the worst ive ever seen.

Just for shits and giggles, are there enough of us here who can find a convienent time, to look at a hosted race or something at some point?

#218 Exar Kun

Exar Kun

• 1,169 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:08

I ran a race at Chicagoland in the Dallara on Sunday. It's almost a waste of time doing these oval races in a road series To start with, i'm not very good at them (although I still have fun) and secondly, the strength of field is absolutely rubbish - you get lots of road guys staying away and lots of oval guys just jumping in for fun (and they're often really fast). So, with a competitive field, I end up being number 1 iRating by far yet not that fast. I came away with 3rd place but only 100 points which is my worst score all season (for a race that I've finished). I crashed into the back of someone when we were pitting - totally my fault. I just didn't give enough room. It doesn't help that I get no pack driving practice, being in Australia when no one is interested in practicing during my night time when I'm available.

4 incs, -0.25 SR. Ouch. Last roadcourse of the year at Mosport this week. I'd better make it count as I doubt i'll make week 12 - too busy getting married!

As for divisions, my road racing iRating hovers around 3500 and my TTrating about 2300. That usually ensures i'm in Div 1 for TTs all the time and Div 2 for A license cars but Div 1 for all the others. The Dallara is the only car I've run a full season for and I'm currently 3rd/4th in Division 2 (changes often) and around 14/15 overall - i'll drop a few places in week 11 as the people who have skipped all the ovals will make their 8 rounds. In TTs i'm 2nd in Division 1 and 5th overall.

So, i've had a pretty good season - lucky for me most of the pro drivers are running the DP in Pro road so it's kept the really quick guys out of the Dallara.

#219 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 4,592 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 13:16

BTW, regarding your new rig mahelgel, the PC im using is similar, think its 3.2ghz dialcore, 4gb ram and a similar card (dont remember exactly) and it runs awsomely, ive got most things cranked up to full and hover around 80-100 FPS. Occasionaly at places like road america ill get random slumps down to 40-50ish for a few sec, and thats the worst ive ever seen. 

Sounds promising then :)

Advertisement

#220 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,239 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 14:07

iRacing is going to be at the Autosport Show by the way, does anyone here plan to go there? There are rumours they will get a license to make a modern F1 car in 2010. Thats suprising considering a team would let them laser scan the aerodynamic shape of there car and give them all the other data necessery. Maybe the chances to get a 2007 F1 or 2008 F1 car are bigger then a current one.

Edited by Kucki, 12 January 2010 - 14:10.

#221 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 20:35

Im assuming the Dallara is counted as a road series, so when they run an oval does that count against your road stats? I vaguely remember some people crying about lime rock for the LM's but cant remember how it all worked out.

The GF came home with a spiffy headset/mic last night....Now ive just got to remember not to swear at people and call em cocks when they do something daft :lol:

#222 Mat

Mat

• 7,674 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 20:45

Yeah I think it will most likely be a 2-3 year old car. That is fine by me though!

Hey Nasty, saw you in that SRF race at Watkins Gleon the b, well done, you did very well. 2nd I think? That was a shocking race for me. I was in 4th coming through the chicane on the first lap when 3rd place got loose and I got into the back of him. I went spinning and got turned into a pinball! I tried fighting the car and for some reason, even after the reset it still felt damaged and DNF'd.

Skippy race was heaps better at Watkins, ran a cleanish race for 2nd.

I havent bothered with checking out championship division results as i joined about 4 weeks in. You have got me thinking about it though, will update.

#223 Exar Kun

Exar Kun

• 1,169 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 21:42

Im assuming the Dallara is counted as a road series, so when they run an oval does that count against your road stats? I vaguely remember some people crying about lime rock for the LM's but cant remember how it all worked out.aft :lol:

Yeah, the Dallara is counted as a road car where ever it races. It's a bit weird when I jump into a race with the #1 on the car yet i'm slow as hell. All the oval guys come across and blitz the road guys. I assume the same happens with LM at Lime Rock or COT at Watkins.

The F1 car thing is interesting - as much as I'd like it to happen, I don't think the service is ready for it. I don't want it to be just a faster version of the Star Mazda. I want to have to play with ARBs, diff settings, engine maps etc whilst driving. And have all the settings available in the garage too, of course.

#224 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:20

I think id be much happier comming in and raiding some oval guys on a road track but i reckon id have trouble the other way. Im not that flash on ovals. Solid enough in the trucks, but generally cruise about, come about 10th, and walk away happy with an SR increase.

That SRF race was about the cruisiest race ever. The guy who won did it by 19 sec or something, and he had a drama and dropped about 6 sec. I barely saw anyone after the 1st lap, which was fine by me.

Ive been having really messy prac sessions at WG but nice solid races. Did a mazda race before, was madness for the first 3 laps, 2nd through 6th covered by about 4 car lengths. I got mugged once or twice, hung back a bit and waited, 2 guys took eachother out and cruised home to 4th.
Same story in the skippys, except in reverse, barely saw anyone all race untill 3 to go. Some guy charged up to me while i caught the bloke infront after a spin. Had a nice little scrap but only got 9th.

Just coz im easily bored and its all WG this week, i got the vette and lotus. The vette at infinion is arse. I tried it at WG just to see if it was the car itself i hated and it was OK, but if i can go 4 corners without a spin at infineon im doing well.
The lotus is all kinds of :eek: Turn 2 at mosport? pfft...flat, 150ish mph. Its funny, im assuming its the ground effect, but if i ran off wide at t2 in the mazda nothing i did changed a thing...steering, brakes, whatever, it made a direct line off into the wall. I saved it 3 times when i went off there in the lotus, plopped back on the road just before t3 and was still doing like 80 and way i went again.

#225 Exar Kun

Exar Kun

• 1,169 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 21:03

The Lotus is such an oddball car - because the of the ground effects, there are a few corners in the game where if you can't make it round, it's because you're not going fast enough.

#226 Peat

Peat

• 1,248 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:40

Bit of a coup! http://www.autosport...ne.php/id/80860

An F1 tie-up just had to come eventually. Good job!

#227 karlth

karlth

• 16,248 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:10

Fantastic news!

#228 Mat

Mat

• 7,674 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 14:07

:clap:

#229 Rick002

Rick002

• 17 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 19:40

Wiping the drool off my chin :smoking:

#230 Exar Kun

Exar Kun

• 1,169 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 20:26

The F1 car thing is interesting - as much as I'd like it to happen, I don't think the service is ready for it. I don't want it to be just a faster version of the Star Mazda. I want to have to play with ARBs, diff settings, engine maps etc whilst driving. And have all the settings available in the garage too, of course.

I take back all I said here because it's a Williams. :D

I'd imagine that when the car comes out, we'll see a few more AtlasF1 members jumping onboard.

Edited by Exar Kun, 14 January 2010 - 20:26.

#231 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,283 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 20:47

I hope this won't dramatically unbalance the game as everyone just wants to get the F1 car and not bother with anything else.

#232 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,317 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 21:29

Wow thats excellent news for iRacings credibility. Whatever happens Ross I think the F1 car will be divisive. It will probably (IMO) feel quite different to the other major sims featuring F1 cars like rfactor etc. but I just cant wait!

#233 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 4,592 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 21:39

The f1 car is great news for Iracing :up:

Personally i am a bit divided about driving it though. I usually prefer low grip, "loose" cars, and i would think the f1 car is quite opposite of that :p I am still going to buy it as soon as it appears ready for download though :p

#234 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 22:03

The Dallara Indycar is already a bitch to setup... I wonder if they're going to simulate all the systems and the tweaks of the F1 Williams?!

Monza aero package, tire compounds, and of course what can be changed on the fly with the steering wheel functions.. :drunk:

regardless... :up: :up:

Posted Image

#235 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,586 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 22:48

I hope this won't dramatically unbalance the game as everyone just wants to get the F1 car and not bother with anything else.

If they want to get the F1 they'll need to progress through every level just like now to get the Dallara and the Lotus, or whatever it is right now.

#236 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,317 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 23:13

"Creating one of today's premier grand prix cars is an exciting opportunity for iRacing and our membership," said Dave Kaemmer, CEO and CTO of iRacing.com. "From a personal standpoint, the only other grand prix cars I've been involved with were back in the days of 'Grand Prix Legends,' a simulation of the 1967 GP season."

So DK didnt have anything to do with the Lotus 79?

#237 Exar Kun

Exar Kun

• 1,169 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 23:30

I reckon it will, at least initially. With fast track in place, people will be doing the absolute minimum to get to the F1 car. After it's run a season we'll see - it's not as if everyone is just running the COT and leaving the other series. That has a lot to do with the way that car handles, of course - and for all we know, the Williams could be a bitch to drive.

It's good that they've got a 2009 car as opposed to a 2010 - refueling in the Dallara has been fun this season.

Edited by Exar Kun, 14 January 2010 - 23:30.

#238 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,239 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 00:50

This is great news

I was thinking so too but then if you look at the IndyCar or the COT, these types of cars are just too hard to drive and too frustrating to master for the majoriy of people, they can have better racing at lower powered cars, the COT has especially problems as it handles like a dumptruck, so people prefer the Legends, Late Models and the Trucks, they are easier to get to grips with. Same with the IndyCar, there are still more people racing Skip Barber, Solstice, Formula Mazda etc. I think initially the F1 car will be very popular, but so hard to drive fast and consistently that alot of people will find there prefered place for there main racing at lower leveled cars and just take out the IndyCar, F1 or COT for occasional fun sessions

Edited by Kucki, 15 January 2010 - 00:51.

#239 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:35

Complete newbie to this iRacing business, but I was informed yesterday that I won a subscription to it after entering a competition on the Motosport Vision website prior to Christmas.

I have no real intention of using it, given I have an adequate laptop and not some beefy desktop PC to play it on. So, how difficult do you envisage it might be to pass on this subscription to someone else to use? They've asked for both my email and postal address stating that they would be sending me further details shortly.

Advertisement

#240 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,239 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 11:22

Why dont you wait until you have a PC and a steering wheel/pedals. Seems like iRacing could become huge in the next couple of years, you might want to try it out someday.

Edited by Kucki, 15 January 2010 - 11:23.

#241 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 11:24

Why dont you wait until you have a PC and a steering wheel/pedals. Seems like iRacing could become huge in the next couple of years, you might want to try it out someday.

Because I don't have the best part of £500 to fork out on something I have very little desire to use.

#242 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 14:23

Do people really charge towards 'top level car X' and avoid the rest?

Im guessing the williams will be A level, and definately something to work towards. And I can understand the guys who are wanting to have a serious dig at a championship or a pro level license who need to sink serious time into one series....but everyone else?

Like I mentioned before, Im one who is wondering a bit about time constraints, but outside of those weekends where i need to learn a new track, I can see myself jumping in a SRF and skippy for a race or two every week. Never mind the 'off days' for B/A levels. Those 'lower' level cars dont have the amount of setup bullshittery needed to run each week. If you know the car and know the track you should be able to jump in and race with pretty minimal prac. Guess itd come down to if you run 4 or 5 of those races, or 1 each week. I could see the williams pulling people from the dallara, and maybe the vette/lotus, but will it really affect those 'jump in and go' series from D/C?

Does anyone know or have an idea of how much the active racers per week is increasing at iracing? Something like the williams will hopefully drag more people in. If it increases the active people per week hopefully itd offset any thinning of existing series'.

#243 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,283 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 14:49

Because I don't have the best part of £500 to fork out on something I have very little desire to use.

Well you basically can't play the game without them.

#244 karlth

karlth

• 16,248 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 18:02

Occasionally I see an AtlasF1 league running a hosted race. Anyone know anything about it?

#245 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 20:01

Well you basically can't play the game without them.

But er, I don't want to play it? I was wondering what the signup process was for the thing actually involved and whether anyone thought it might be difficult for me to offload the subscription on to someone else.

#246 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,239 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 21:45

Do people really charge towards 'top level car X' and avoid the rest?

Im guessing the williams will be A level, and definately something to work towards. And I can understand the guys who are wanting to have a serious dig at a championship or a pro level license who need to sink serious time into one series....but everyone else?

Like I mentioned before, Im one who is wondering a bit about time constraints, but outside of those weekends where i need to learn a new track, I can see myself jumping in a SRF and skippy for a race or two every week. Never mind the 'off days' for B/A levels. Those 'lower' level cars dont have the amount of setup bullshittery needed to run each week. If you know the car and know the track you should be able to jump in and race with pretty minimal prac. Guess itd come down to if you run 4 or 5 of those races, or 1 each week. I could see the williams pulling people from the dallara, and maybe the vette/lotus, but will it really affect those 'jump in and go' series from D/C?

Does anyone know or have an idea of how much the active racers per week is increasing at iracing? Something like the williams will hopefully drag more people in. If it increases the active people per week hopefully itd offset any thinning of existing series'.

I think the time available for the average racer will also determine which series he is going to enter, as the IndyCar or NASCAR Cup races or later on the F1 races will be rather long in Class A, these races take up to an hour. And alot of people would rather drive 4 or 5 short sprint races during the week in the Mazda, Skip Barber or Pontiac then beeing only able to make 1 or 2 long races during a week in a top level car. Just depends on what every one is after, there are still alot of Class A or Pro drivers in Skip Barber races... Same with the Legends and Late Model car, just because somebody is allowed to race the Nationwide, COT or IndyCar doesnt mean he prefers it.

Regarding the active racers during a week, there is a guy in the official forum who made alot of interesting statistics.

There are around 5380 active members online during a week, Legends cars, Pontiac Solstice, Late Model, Trucks and Skip Barber are the most popular series.

http://members.iraci...j...8&tstart=50

I read a new Update is going to come on the 20th:

The site will be unavailable as we deploy the latest build.

Four hours prior (20-Jan-10 0500 GMT) to the full site maintenance, we will disable the functionality to create a new hosted session.

All timing is tentative and subject to change.

Edited by Kucki, 15 January 2010 - 21:49.

#247 karlth

karlth

• 16,248 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 17:10

Had a horrible SFR race earlier today. Got tangled from behind by the Jetta series leader who responded with a torrent of abuse about "idiotic driving". The problem was that he nipped my rear fender causing my 3rd car accident this half of the season. The other two accidents were all caused by that same driver as he rammed my car from behind under braking!

Was going to ask him to qualify quicker next time for both our safety, but kept my mouth shut. :blush:

#248 Mat

Mat

• 7,674 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 21:35

Had a horrible SFR race earlier today. Got tangled from behind by the Jetta series leader who responded with a torrent of abuse about "idiotic driving". The problem was that he nipped my rear fender causing my 3rd car accident this half of the season. The other two accidents were all caused by that same driver as he rammed my car from behind under braking!

Was going to ask him to qualify quicker next time for both our safety, but kept my mouth shut. :blush:

So funny, i just read this thread and then was on the iRacing Forum and noticed the bloke has posted a replay of the incident and whinging! he has even posted a replay. For what its worth, i think you did nothing wrong. :)

He is shocking, i almost reported him after an SRF race at Lowes when he went off at some poor bloke for doing nothing more than losing control of his car about 2 seconds in front of this wanker. As soon as i saw your post i was pretty sure u knew who you meant!

#249 karlth

karlth

• 16,248 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 23:04

So funny, i just read this thread and then was on the iRacing Forum and noticed the bloke has posted a replay of the incident and whinging! he has even posted a replay. For what its worth, i think you did nothing wrong. :)

He is shocking, i almost reported him after an SRF race at Lowes when he went off at some poor bloke for doing nothing more than losing control of his car about 2 seconds in front of this wanker. As soon as i saw your post i was pretty sure u knew who you meant!

Thanks Mat. :wave:

#250 Mat

Mat

• 7,674 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 23:58

Thanks Mat. :wave:

And i see you've just owned him. Brilliant!