Photo

Frank Williams and Ken Tyrrell

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Seanmac27

Seanmac27

• 61 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 00:06

Morning all, just wondering whether the recent mood of Frank Williams and team to stand aside from the rest of the teams reminds anyone else of Ken Tyrell in the mid '80s?

Advertisement

#2 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:15

Depends on what you consider Tyrrell's motives back then and Williams's motives now.

#3 ff1600

ff1600

• 146 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 02:59

Good topic. Sometimes I think Sir Frank is half nuts. But I also think he is in a very different place than 86 to 97. Money is in short supply for him and he can not seem to get a car that is fast. His driver choice makes you think Williams is the last stop before retirement. Nico Rosberg is way over rated and it will show next year.

#4 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:03

I cannot admit to knowing Ken Tyrrell. I was invited into the Tyrrell factory by Nora, as a thirteen year old nuisance, and shown around. But I have, and do know people who did know him, and although no one has said it to me, my observation is that much as Ken could see talent, encourage it, and develop it, he could also de-stabilise a driver just as well. Depailler was one such, as was Pironi. Now it could be because Ken was unable to see a "fragile" character, but I don't think either of these examples could be described as fragile, and not many drivers with a lack of confidence make it to the top ranks, but Patrick was qouted as saying that he felt "de-stabilised" at Tyrrell.

Frank on the other hand, is now of an era where sponsorship demands results, and although in racing because of his love of racing, he also wants, no needs, results, and if that means getting rid of a driver because there may be a better one about, then so be it. Enzo wasn't one to be emotional about the past, car or driver, it appears Frank is of a similar vein................

#5 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,184 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 11:55

Maybe Frank feels that he will be proved right in the long-term by the direction he has moved the team in during recent years, or that he has got nothing to lose? Ken Tyrrell's actions in the mid-1980s may have been purely on points of principle, whereas Frank's may be more born of pragmatism.

#6 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,452 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 12:00

I am not sure that Frank Williams / Team Williams have made a whole lot of especially smart decisions the last several seasons, and does not seem as if they have learned anything from the poor decisions made either.

Frank Williams / Team Williams are their own worst enemy, and have managed bringing a once proud team from the the forefront of the grid to somewhere in the middle and obtaining a status of non-relevance, except for matters where their sourly opposition can make a different, and will make a difference to the detriment of the overall growth of F1.

The 'real racer' shine was buffed of Frank and Patrick many many years ago.

:cool:

#7 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 12:34

I would have agreed with you up until 6 weeks ago. Right now the decision to not sell-out to BMW, and all the pain that caused, looked like the right one.

#8 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,452 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 13:49

I would have agreed with you up until 6 weeks ago. Right now the decision to not sell-out to BMW, and all the pain that caused, looked like the right one.

I think there is more to it that selling / not selling to BMW, but correct that the way how they in my view mishandled a manufacturer relationship again, is part where I find them their own worst enemy. That I believe is however also where some of the 'racers not puppets' stem from, and I just do not agree with it.

It is obvious that this (like most other issues debated here), is a very subjective matter, and it have 'pained' (well irked) me, that my favorite driver have been there for the past years. I hope that the rumors are true, and that Nico will find gainful employment at either Brawn or McLaren next season.

:cool: