Photo

Unidentified 1930s or 1940s Salmson

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tango

Tango

• 1 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:54

Please help in identifying this car and its history -- anyone have an image from the 1930s or 1940s of this car or any ideas?

Posted Image

This is definitely a French Salmson, perhaps from the 1930s or perhaps one of the cars built for the 1946 post-war race. It has clearly been quite considerably modified if it is a 1930s chassis, but perhaps it is one from the 1946 or 1947 post-war racing circuits, but I can find no photos of those cars with the exception of the labeled "proto" that was for sale a a year or so back.

Any thoughts? The car is in Australia owned by some friends who are researching its history -- they have several Salmsons already, but this one has them at a near dead-end in research. I've volunteered to assist them out of interest, putting my own limited knowledge to the task.

The owners cannot find any of the chassis numbers or engine block numbers, despite looking at the usual locations, so who knows what it originally was and when it was built?

Thanks in advance!

Thomas.

Advertisement

#2 David Manson

David Manson

• 12 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:05

Is the name "Bartlett Special" attached to it in any way?

#3 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:28

this will be most likely the car owned by peter briggs york motor museum for many years.
I believe he sold it to a Salmson collector in Wollongong name escapes me at present but he had other Salmson's?
terry

#4 john medley

john medley

• 1,442 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 06:23

Steen P?

#5 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 1,106 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 06:27

It would have to be, I thought he once told me he was fully aware of its early history ?

#6 john medley

john medley

• 1,442 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 07:38

Not the Bartlett Special, David, which is as far as I know is still alive and well in WA, but I think Steen told me he bought it from WA, Terry, so your info could fit, but I thought that he didnt know much about its early history, Dick. I somehow was under the impression that he considered it was one of those narrow-bodied monoplace Salmsons of the late 20s. I had no idea that it looked like these photos -- which look 1946 to me.

Central to all this -- if it IS Steen and if it IS the car he talked to me about, is that he talked of not a 4 but an 8 cylinder Salmson engine.

At the time I suggested he should get interested in the SEFAC -- but that didnt come to Australia. Dick, you undoubtedly will recall my taking you to meet Richard Line re THAT car

#7 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 11:47

yes it was steen Pederson or Stan Peterson? who got the Peter Briggs car I know at the time there was some discussion as to exactly what the car was and when it was built and I think it was concluded it was a post war built car. I am sure I have seen some info on it on a web site and maybe this one?
The bartlett is definetly here in WA still current family ownership for 60 plus years. One of the original 2 motors was obtained in another Salmson from Victoria.
Is there anyone doing a definitive book on Salmson's my old Draper book is very much out of date.
There have been some very interesting Salmson's in Australia with some interesting race histories
Jack Wilson ran DOHC Salmson motor in speed car in Sydney late 1930's
SP also got the most wonderful french bodied car also from WA - bugatti style screen, boat tail very similiar to car road tested in Motor Life sept 1923
I have a file on them but presently buried
terry