• 5,402 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 15:22

Good stuff!

#3 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 15:48

Very nice.

But the cynic in me detects a couple of "playing to the gallery" notes.

#4 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,184 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 11:47

Thanks for posting the link, Andrew! :wave:

It's interesting to hear Niki compare Bernie with Enzo Ferrari!

#5 OSX

OSX

• 4,877 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 08:06

Great interview. So relaxed in tone compared to the usual suppressed driver and team boss interviews of today. Lauda's comment (below) about leaving your information to the hotel in case of a fatal crash reminds how much the sport has changed during the past 20 years or so. I remember reading similiar comments from driver interviews back in the day. F1 really has lost most of that sense of danger which used to be an essential part of the sport's appeal.

"In the old days before going racing you would have left information at the hotel as to who would be entitled to collect your things, in case you didn’t come back - so big was the risk to fatally crash. Formula One was for men, not lads. " -Lauda

#6 Gabrci

Gabrci

• 649 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 08:24

With all due respect to Lauda, who may be the biggest hero of them all and if someone knows what he is talking about relating to danger, then it's him, but what I would like to see is amazingly prepared sportsmen and racing cars perform at their very best, and not people with parents, wife and children face fatal risks every time they step into the car.

It's like some sports coaches ordering their sportsmen to go for a run at 6AM. It's just plain stupid. Sportsmen should get tired because of quality training work, not because of inappropriate circumstances, similarly racing drivers should win because they're the best prepared, not because they are the most reckless. I'm completely with Sir Jackie one this one, who said that the "good old days were actually the bad old days".