Barrichello moves to Williams for 2010

• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

#1 molive

molive

• 9,799 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 18:31

Its a done deal, to be announced during the Brazilian GP. 1 year deal. :up::up:

Rubinho will be the 4th Brazilian to drive for Sir Frank: Piquet, Senna, Pizzonia and now Rubens.

Imagine if somehow RB ended-up winning this year's title? :lol:

(not that it has a chance to happen, though, as I'm sure Brawn will do anything to keep the number 1 in his car).

Edited by molive, 11 October 2009 - 18:32.

Advertisement

#2 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 18:33

Link? Not that I would doubt someone that's been here for a decade, but, you know.

Edited by andrew., 11 October 2009 - 18:34.

#3 Fallout

Fallout

• 476 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 18:35

Link?

He did link, although to a site not in english.

As for this rumour, I think it's probable but one source confirming it is not enough. I need something I can trust such as Autosport :wave:

#4 Jay

Jay

• 957 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 18:39

If this happens...

GREAT news... Rubens deserves a decent seat, and I believe he can help Williams with their in-season development and car setup!

:up: :up:

J

#5 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 18:41

Ahh alright. Hard to see links on this old monitor haha.

#6 MegaManson

MegaManson

• 2,102 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 18:43

Could be 1997 in reverse then, the 2009 champion taking #1 to Williams same way as the 96 champion took #1 from Williams to Arrows

#7 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 18:44

I thought Brawn GP had adopted an approach of not talking about its drivers until after the season?

#8 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

• 4,496 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 18:45

Not unexpected but still better wait for an official confirmation.

#9 MegaManson

MegaManson

• 2,102 posts

I thought Brawn GP had adopted an approach of not talking about its drivers until after the season?

It is a straight swap, Keke to Brawn and Rubens to Williams, sounds like a good trade

#10 Brawn BGP 001

Brawn BGP 001

• 5,961 posts

Maybe Barrichello didn't want to wait?

#11 skinnyman

skinnyman

• 672 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 18:49

It is a straight swap, Keke to Brawn and Rubens to Williams, sounds like a good trade

:lol:

#12 Odvan

Odvan

• 2,074 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 18:51

Brazilian press confirms that Barrichello has signed a 2-year deal with Williams.

No announcements will be made until the WDC is settled.

:smoking:

#13 molive

molive

• 9,799 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 18:52

Not unexpected but still better wait for an official confirmation.

Other Brazilian site is denying that a deal has been made, but I trust Grande Premio, they have good insiders.

I think its normal they hold the info for now, as RB is still fighting for the WDC.

As for the move, I think RB is doing the right thing. As next year Brawn will not have the bennefit of the surprise, I bet they will go down the order, while Williams has a history of WDCs.

Edited by molive, 11 October 2009 - 18:56.

#14 MegaManson

MegaManson

• 2,102 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 18:56

:lol:

Oops :blush: :blush:

Was just reading about Keke on another site and got confused :eek: :lol:

Damn multi tasking lol

#15 OSX

OSX

• 4,877 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 18:59

Well, I don't think Brawn GP will be officially confirming anything before Abu Dhabi.

#16 WebBerK

WebBerK

• 831 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 19:07

Other Brazilian site is denying that a deal has been made, but I trust Grande Premio, they have good insiders.

I think its normal they hold the info for now, as RB is still fighting for the WDC.

As for the move, I think RB is doing the right thing. As next year Brawn will not have the bennefit of the surprise, I bet they will go down the order, while Williams has a history of WDCs.

I'm so happy they unveilled a secret Rubens wanted to keep.
If Brawn starts to sabotage Rubens chances, we will know who to blame.
Nice support from Brazillian journalists. :o

#17 AlanR

AlanR

• 48 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 19:08

Rubinho will be the 4th Brazilian to drive for Sir Frank: Piquet, Senna, Pizzonia and now Rubens.

5th as Carlos Pace was the first.

#18 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,826 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 19:18

So if willliams have signed rubens who are they gonna hire as their number 1 cause even if rubens lucks into a championship because jenson completely cracks he's still not close to bein a no. 1 (even if the number is on the car)

Edited by kosmic33, 11 October 2009 - 19:18.

#19 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 19:21

So if willliams have signed rubens who are they gonna hire as their number 1 cause even if rubens lucks into a championship because jenson completely cracks he's still not close to bein a no. 1 (even if the number is on the car)

Of course Rubens will be the lead driver at Williams, alongside Nico Hulkenberg (whose arrival at Grove is about as predictable as Alonso's to Ferrari).

Advertisement

#20 SRi130Brett

SRi130Brett

• 341 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 19:43

If Rubens is leaving Brawn then I think its a good move for both him and Williams. Hes done a great job this season for a man who nearly had no drive so deserves to stay on another year at least.

#21 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,451 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 19:56

5th as Carlos Pace was the first.

When and where did Pace ever drive for Williams?

:cool:

#22 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,160 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 19:59

He drove a March 711 in 1972 run by Frank Williams Racing Cars, the precursor to Williams Grand Prix Engineering/WilliamsF1.

#23 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 19:59

Apparently 1972. But not for WilliamsF1, he drove for Frank Williams Racing Cars.

#24 Francesc

Francesc

• 5,026 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 20:07

Of course Rubens will be the lead driver at Williams, alongside Nico Hulkenberg (whose arrival at Grove is about as predictable as Alonso's to Ferrari).

It's not an arrival at Grove, he has been at Williams already for 2 years now

#25 panzani

panzani

• 18,732 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 20:11

Apparently some posting here missed this autosport news a few days ago, specially the second paragraph...

Last year's GP2 runner-up came very close to a deal with the former Honda team, but in the end the Brackley-based squad decided to retain Rubens Barrichello alongside Jenson Button.

#26 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,451 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 20:12

Apparently 1972. But not for WilliamsF1, he drove for Frank Williams Racing Cars.

Yes I see that now, first couple of places I looked showed him racing for March.

#27 Montoya1

Montoya1

• 571 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 20:18

I bet they will go down the order, while Williams has a history of WDCs.

Ancient history, methinks.

#28 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,753 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 20:28

Makes perfect sense, especially as the one in the other car will be Hülkenberg. Barrichello has a lot to offer both Williams and his rookie team-mate.

#29 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 20:30

Great.

#30 mstar

mstar

• 1,837 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 21:02

according to Maurice hamilton in the guardian, frank and Patrick head are seeing how things are developing with Jenson as they will bite jensons hand of if he became available they still hold him in VERY VERY high regard as one of the best young drivers they ever had there. Somehow i cannot see that happening lol

its amazing to me how frank williams/patrick head still to this day hope/chase jenson to drive for williams.

#31 seltaeb

seltaeb

• 680 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 21:04

If it is true, then I'm very happy for Rubens. I think that he'll do well in the #1 role with a team like Williams. Plus, I think that with Williams ditching Toyota engines in favor of Renault, Cosworth, or Mercedes, they may have a stronger package next year.

It'd be great to see 5-6 competitive teams next year.

#32 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 21:41

I don't get it, he won't have a shot at a title like he did this year, why doesn't he just retire? I guess that's a real racer, but I still don't get it :well:

#33 seltaeb

seltaeb

• 680 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 22:22

I'm not so sure, I think that Williams will definitely be more competitive next year than they have been in the past 2 seasons. Plus, with a strong Brawn, Red Bull, Ferrari, and McLaren on the grid, there might be many cars on the podium next year.

#34 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,788 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 22:58

This will end in tears, frank doesn't mince words and Rubens is a sensitive soul.

#35 molive

molive

• 9,799 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 23:14

I don't get it, he won't have a shot at a title like he did this year, why doesn't he just retire? I guess that's a real racer, but I still don't get it :well:

When RB and JB signed with Brawn for 2009 they had NO IDEA they would be half decent of any competitive, and I bet they never even dreamed they would get wins let alone the WDC and the WCC. They were happy enough just to keep racing.

RB is simply making sure he will continue to do what he loves and what most drivers can only dream of doing. And, incidentaly, he will also stretch his amazing record of F1 starts, which should make sure it will remain untouched for a long long time.

#36 Dispenser89

Dispenser89

• 3,460 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 23:18

This will end in tears, frank doesn't mince words and Rubens is a sensitive soul.

My thoughts exactly.

Heidfeld seemed like a much better option imo.

Edited by Dispenser89, 11 October 2009 - 23:19.

#37 molive

molive

• 9,799 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 01:00

Frank is a smart old fella, he knows exactly what he will get with Rubens.
And, as stated above, he already worked with many Brazilian drivers, so he must know what to expect.

#38 Nathan

Nathan

• 7,101 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 01:03

Talking about (to the media) and talking to (telling one his sevices won't be needed next year) are two different things.

#39 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 01:08

If as good as claimed (another MS, FA, LH etc talent?), Hulkenberg might give Barrichello a hurry up. 1 year deal suits Williams and Barrichello too I guess. :up:

You'd have to wonder if the Honda/Brawn and BMW performances were swapped, would Williams be more inclined to snap up Heidfeld...

Advertisement

#40 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:35

They have.

Williams haven't, though.

#41 Fabs

Fabs

• 248 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:41

It is official.. Rubens himself confirmed to Brazilian television he will drive for Williams next year.

As for Frank having worked with "many brazilian drivers" so he knows what to expect... all I can say is Senna was a totally different personality from Piquet.. and they both are very different from Rubens... .not to mention Pizzonia..

#42 SPBHM

SPBHM

• 1,068 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:51

globo is saying that Luciano Burti confirmed this with a source at williams (2 years contract!), and also says that they will use cosworth engines...

http://globoesporte....ILLIAMS EM.html

Edited by SPBHM, 12 October 2009 - 04:08.

#43 Alonzo

Alonzo

• 658 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:58

What is this "know to expect from a guy from a particular country"??

Every person is different, you can't "classify" one's attitude or actions by his nationality.

What is to be expected from a brazilian driver? :well:

PS: Williams is screwed with Cosworth engines.

Edited by Alonzo, 12 October 2009 - 04:00.

#44 speedmaster

speedmaster

• 3,742 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 04:30

What is this "know to expect from a guy from a particular country"??

Every person is different, you can't "classify" one's attitude or actions by his nationality.

What is to be expected from a brazilian driver? :well:

It could have been a good deal if Williams had secured a good engine deal. As it is, with Cosworth, it was not good for Rubens unless the engine brings a surprise.... which I hope it happens.

:rolleyes:

#45 Simon Says

Simon Says

• 2,163 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:07

Frank is a smart old fella, he knows exactly what he will get with Rubens.
And, as stated above, he already worked with many Brazilian drivers, so he must know what to expect.

Frank is indeed smart. People are forgetting that Rubens brings alot of technical know-how from the Brawn GP. But I do hope Williams will get a good engine next year.

#46 Gulli-Kyro

Gulli-Kyro

• 1 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:11

Its a good move for Williams. Ruben's is at his best wresting performance out of mid-grid cars.

#47 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:42

Frank is indeed smart. People are forgetting that Rubens brings alot of technical know-how from the Brawn GP. But I do hope Williams will get a good engine next year.

And that would probably be good if Williams was running a Brawn car or a Mercedes. Also, Sir Frank has been doing this for thirty years; Ross Brawn has been doing it for one. I doubt there's much in the way Barrichello could bring to the team that they don't already know.

#48 peroa

peroa

• 10,783 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 07:19

And that would probably be good if Williams was running a Brawn car or a Mercedes. Also, Sir Frank has been doing this for thirty years; Ross Brawn has been doing it for one. I doubt there's much in the way Barrichello could bring to the team that they don't already know.

I like to visit this board in the morning, always some funny sh** going on ...
:smoking:

#49 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 07:20

Not so. 'Equalization' means that all other engines will be crippled to meet the power output of Cosworth. And Cosworth are now free to design a motor that may be a bit short on peak power, but has better driveability and average power.

#50 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 07:55

peroa, I meant Ross Brawn has only been doing it for one year in the sense that he has only been a team owner and principal. I'm well away that he was a part of the so-called "Holy Trinity" at Ferrari with Schumacher and someone else whose name escapes me right now.

Not so. 'Equalization' means that all other engines will be crippled to meet the power output of Cosworth. And Cosworth are now free to design a motor that may be a bit short on peak power, but has better driveability and average power.

I seriously doubt the Cosworth engines were three and four seconds a lap off the pace as originall rumoured. Cosworth have a name to protect, and they'd know that and engine that bad would utterly destroy their reputation. They'd sooner back out of the arrangement than ship it. Likewise, the FIA is pinning the future of the sport on the intorduction of new teams. If those teams ran such a poor engine, they'd likely fold very quickly and it would be very difficult to get new teams into the game. It's in the FIA's interests to make sure the engines are of good quality.

No, I suspect the rumour started in the wake of the claims that the FIA had forced new teams into using the engines, and that it was started because people wanted something else to whine about.