Blue wheels on Cunningham C4R

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Sandy M

Sandy M

• 31 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 13:03

Hi,
I'm getting ready to start the Fisher Model & Pattern 1/24 Cunningham C4R resin kit. The color section of the instructions- (white with blue stripes- pretty easy there :)) states that "at some races the wheels were blue instead of bare magnesium". This sounds like it would make a nice looking model. Does anyone know at which races and what race numbers were run with blue wheels? Even better does anyone have any photos of the blue wheeled cars?
BTW, for the modelers out there, this is my first look at a Fisher kit and it is excellent. They also offer a number of other historic racers in 1/24 scale. Their site is http://fishermodels.com/

TIA and best regards,
Sandy

Edited by Sandy M, 12 October 2009 - 13:07.

Advertisement

#2 lowdrag

lowdrag

• 22 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 13:53

About the only photo I have is one I found when researching to build my car, shown behind the Cunningham here at Mulsanne. It certainly had silver wheels at Le Mans

Posted Image

#3 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 820 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 14:22

The only photo of a Cunningham C4R with blue wheels that I saw is on the Autidiva Forum. Roll down the page.

http://www.autodiva....p...75&start=40

Ibsen

#4 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,139 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:53

My 1950s Dinky Toys version had blue wheels, but that was probably for manufacturing convenience rather than historical accuracy. Or maybe not?

#5 David M. Woodhouse

David M. Woodhouse

• 125 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 18:39

Hi,
I'm getting ready to start the Fisher Model & Pattern 1/24 Cunningham C4R resin kit. The color section of the instructions- (white with blue stripes- pretty easy there :)) states that "at some races the wheels were blue instead of bare magnesium". This sounds like it would make a nice looking model. Does anyone know at which races and what race numbers were run with blue wheels? Even better does anyone have any photos of the blue wheeled cars?
BTW, for the modelers out there, this is my first look at a Fisher kit and it is excellent. They also offer a number of other historic racers in 1/24 scale. Their site is http://fishermodels.com/

TIA and best regards,
Sandy

The 1953 Sebring winning C4R carried race number 57 and was driven by John Fitch and Phil Walters. It is currently owned by Fred Simeone and is on display in his museum in Philadelphia. I was there this past Sunday and got a copy of his wonderful book "The Spirit of Competition", which has color photographs of the cars in the collection. The wheels on the car are a rather dark gray (oxidized?) with the edges of the oval holes and the very outside rim of the wheel polished to a matte silver (not mirror finish). I don't have any color photos of the cars in period that show blue wheels - most appear a uniform dark silver bare magnesium.

I have a professionally built (Dennis Koleber) Fisher 1/24th C4R that has the wheels finished in the dark gray. I agree that it is a very well executed model.

Woody

#6 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,024 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 18:55

Friends:

Here's the Simeone car in September 2006, on the Colorado Grand:

Posted Image

Frank (my photo)

Edited by fbarrett, 13 October 2009 - 18:56.

#7 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,138 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 20:16

My 1950s Dinky Toys version had blue wheels, but that was probably for manufacturing convenience rather than historical accuracy. Or maybe not?

C5R and not C4R. And Dinky colours were never accurate, eg light turquoise D-Type, white W196, blue and yellow Ferrari 500, blue Cooper-Climax

#8 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,139 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 20:28

C5R and not C4R. And Dinky colours were never accurate, eg light turquoise D-Type, white W196, blue and yellow Ferrari 500, blue Cooper-Climax

Ah, always wondered about that Ferrari. But at least the Maserati was red (ignore the fetching white stripe), HWM green and Talbot-Lago blue. Sorry, dangerously close to thread-drift - I'll shurrup.

#9 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 820 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 22:48

From Autodiva Forum

Posted Image
By ibsenop at 2009-10-13

(photo des années 2000, par Art Eastman)

Wheels are dull aluminium or anthracite color on my references.

Ibsen

#10 WDH74

WDH74

• 1,162 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 23:49

From Autodiva Forum

Posted Image
By ibsenop at 2009-10-13

(photo des années 2000, par Art Eastman)

Wheels are dull aluminium or anthracite color on my references.

Ibsen

That appears to be poor color reproduction, not blue painted wheels. Perhaps reflecting off the puddles on the pavement?

The 1953 Sebring winning C4R carried race number 57 and was driven by John Fitch and Phil Walters. It is currently owned by Fred Simeone and is on display in his museum in Philadelphia. I was there this past Sunday and got a copy of his wonderful book "The Spirit of Competition", which has color photographs of the cars in the collection. The wheels on the car are a rather dark gray (oxidized?) with the edges of the oval holes and the very outside rim of the wheel polished to a matte silver (not mirror finish). I don't have any color photos of the cars in period that show blue wheels - most appear a uniform dark silver bare magnesium

If I'm not mistaken, didn't the Cunningham racing cars use Halibrand magnesium wheels? Or are they aluminum? Proper mags usually shipped with a coating of Dow 7, which gave the wheels a gold tint like gold anodizing. That said, the photo posted later shows wheels that aren't gold colored, however I don't think they're oxidized either. Oxidized magnesium is usually lighter, and mottled in appearance-those wheels are far too evenly colored to be oxidized (although the lips of the windows are clearly polished). My knowledge ends here-what other coatings would be suitable on a mag wheel?

-William

#11 SWB

SWB

• 239 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 08:14

I've been through all my magazine clippings and books and can't find any photo's of the C4R with blue wheels. So while I wouldn't rule it out entirely I don't think it was typical, and perhaps is more likely a result of poor colour reproduction in print and a resulting myth that has grown over the years. Of course Cunningham did have a history of blue wheels with the Le Mans Cadillac's.

Steve

#12 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:19

Could have been blue at one point, Gerry Marshall C4R, Brands Hatch, June 1987:-

Posted Image

#13 Sandy M

Sandy M

• 31 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 01:38

Hi guys,
Thanks for all the input, info and photos. It's looking like the blue wheels might be a stretch and the natural metal ones are the more likely choice.

Sandy

Edited by Sandy M, 15 October 2009 - 01:40.