Photo

Guy Martin at Cadwell Classic

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 k21john

k21john

• 67 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 20:27

We were at Cadwell with the CRMC over the w/e and Guy Martin had decided to pop down and do a few races, I think he thought he was in for an easy ride but then we have a secret weapon in the form of Mr Lea Gourlay.

The racing was fantastic with Lea giving Guy a real run for his money and at the same time giving the spectators a treat, Lea beat Guy up but boy was it close racing.

If you ever get the chance to see Lea Gourlay race don't pass it up as he's very special........

Chris Chapman was out in a couple of the same races but after not dropping the bike in his two years of racing decided Cadwell would be a good place to start, not once, not even twice but 3 offs over the 2 days. Luckily he's only suffering bumps and bruises but the Rob North is looking a little second hand....

However the consolation prize for Chris was finishing third in the 1300cc National Championship wghich is a 10 place improvement on last season.

More words and photos soon....

John

Advertisement

#2 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 20:33

Thanks for the info John , heard it was a good meeting , hope Chris mends ok , Sorry we were'nt there................ :well:

#3 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 22:01

Hi John :wave: Thanks for that! I was waiting for some pics and reports, I bet it was brilliant!

David

#4 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:28

The fact that Guy usually runs on race slicks & not treaded CRMC tyres might have taken a bit of getting used to!!?
I cant see Mr Gourlay beating him other than that, Good/Great as Lea is in CRMC racing. Just my opinion though! :p

#5 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:42

Not too sure about that one Gra, from this distance it appears that Lea Gourlay is a real rocket on all manner of bikes, and is hard as nails as well, have known him to ride with injuries and breakages and still be a jet. And let's not forget, Guy Martin has had his fare share of time out and about on racing triples before today. Anyway, I'll have the opportunity to pose the question to Guy myself in a few weeks, I'm doing commentary at the Kings of Wanneroo meeting where Martin, Johnny Rea, Jeremy McWilliams, Keith Amor, Ian Lougher and sundry others will be over for a gallop, and will interview Guy on just this subject..... :cool:

Edited by GD66, 13 October 2009 - 10:43.

#6 Mick Robinson

Mick Robinson

• 271 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 16:04

The fact that Guy usually runs on race slicks & not treaded CRMC tyres might have taken a bit of getting used to!!?
I cant see Mr Gourlay beating him other than that, Good/Great as Lea is in CRMC racing. Just my opinion though! :p

I tend to agree with GD66 on this one Graham, I think Lea is an extremely talanted rider and given a bike with slicks after a couple of laps he would get the best out of them, I also think if you gave him a test on a BSB bike with a couple of days practice he would not disgrace himself in a BSB race!!
At the I C G P race at Cadwell some weeks ago he lapped in the 1min 36's on a 30 year old designed TZ 350 and that lap time equalled the times of the RC8 KTM winner.........160BHP....slicks. TZ 350.......80 ish BHP......treaded tyres!!! It's just a shame he missed his vocation in his twenties and didn't get spotted as i'm sure he would have cut it at most levels.

#7 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 16:23

I tend to agree with GD66 on this one Graham, I think Lea is an extremely talanted rider and given a bike with slicks after a couple of laps he would get the best out of them, I also think if you gave him a test on a BSB bike with a couple of days practice he would not disgrace himself in a BSB race!!
At the I C G P race at Cadwell some weeks ago he lapped in the 1min 36's on a 30 year old designed TZ 350 and that lap time equalled the times of the RC8 KTM winner.........160BHP....slicks. TZ 350.......80 ish BHP......treaded tyres!!! It's just a shame he missed his vocation in his twenties and didn't get spotted as i'm sure he would have cut it at most levels.

Where's the Custard? for my humble pie!!

But...do you really think that Lea would be a match for Guy on "modern" machines, Glenn please ask him that, I would like to know.
As regards the TZ ICGP race yes he is very very quick, on a superbly prepared machine (how much is 30years old though!?) but what happened in the 1990's when he did Supercup?
Dont get me wrong I love the Guy (in a manly Heterosexual way of course!!) I think he is a superb rider & can ride most things, the KTM though Mick is a proddy bike with good tyres and race exhaust (a road bike!!) anyway "Cats & pidgeons" come to mind...over to you!! :wave:

#8 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 16:47

Great new Cadwell pics Mick, have been looking forward to seeing them!! :up:

#9 Mick Robinson

Mick Robinson

• 271 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 17:12

Great new Cadwell pics Mick, have been looking forward to seeing them!! :up:

Thanks Graham, by the way dont forget that a road bike of 2009 will handle probably better than race bikes 20-30 years ago, but it's something we may never know unless Guy gets out on a TZ 350!!!!! Now that would be interesting......but I think I know what the outcome would be!!
P S did you get CD OK?

#10 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 17:15

Thanks Graham, by the way dont forget that a road bike of 2009 will handle probably better than race bikes 20-30 years ago, but it's something we may never know unless Guy gets out on a TZ 350!!!!! Now that would be interesting......but I think I know what the outcome would be!!
P S did you get CD OK?

Oh yes, sorry mate I should of said, thankyou :up:
Will get it back to you ASAP! :wave:

#11 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 18:13

Just to put my tuppence worth in :wave: The 125 lap record is 1'32 I think whatever that may mean? Lea was brilliant when I saw him and I haven't seen Guy race I just wish I was there and are there piccies yet please you wonderful chaps?

David

#12 k21john

k21john

• 67 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 18:32

Hi Graham

as I said earlier the racing was fantastic and Lea was on fire and the timing sheets show it. In the post classics Lea and Guy had 3 races of which Guy had a DNF in the second race but put a best lap of 1.39.354 with his best lap on race 3 being 1.39.051.

Lea's slowest best lap was in race 1 with a time of 1.38.966 with his best being in race 2 = 1.38.350 taking more than 3 seconds off the clubs lap record. Both Lea and Guy finished over 20 seconds ahead of the 3rd place men.

One final note on Lea he has been running in 6 different championships this year with the CRMC and he has won everyone of them so all credit to probably the fastest guy in classics at the moment.

As far as putting him on a modern bike, we may get the opportunity next year with one of the modern 675 Triples, I can't wait..................................

After spending the last 2 years around the CRMC I can safely say Lea is fast, during 2008 we had Mike (Spike) Edwards running in the 350 & 500 Nationals and he was one of the few guys that I have seen who is capable of giving him a run for his money.

I spoke to Lea at Snetterton and he really would like someone to race with, but even when he's 30secs in front he still doesn't slow and cruise........

I'm not having a go but I wish I'd been able to video those races at Cadwell this weekend as they were very crowd pleasing......

Russell Lee has some photos here http://www.sport-pic...at/04/index.htm

Enjoy

John

#13 Mick Robinson

Mick Robinson

• 271 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 19:06

Hi Graham

as I said earlier the racing was fantastic and Lea was on fire and the timing sheets show it. In the post classics Lea and Guy had 3 races of which Guy had a DNF in the second race but put a best lap of 1.39.354 with his best lap on race 3 being 1.39.051.

Lea's slowest best lap was in race 1 with a time of 1.38.966 with his best being in race 2 = 1.38.350 taking more than 3 seconds off the clubs lap record. Both Lea and Guy finished over 20 seconds ahead of the 3rd place men.

One final note on Lea he has been running in 6 different championships this year with the CRMC and he has won everyone of them so all credit to probably the fastest guy in classics at the moment.

As far as putting him on a modern bike, we may get the opportunity next year with one of the modern 675 Triples, I can't wait..................................

After spending the last 2 years around the CRMC I can safely say Lea is fast, during 2008 we had Mike (Spike) Edwards running in the 350 & 500 Nationals and he was one of the few guys that I have seen who is capable of giving him a run for his money.

I spoke to Lea at Snetterton and he really would like someone to race with, but even when he's 30secs in front he still doesn't slow and cruise........

I'm not having a go but I wish I'd been able to video those races at Cadwell this weekend as they were very crowd pleasing......

Russell Lee has some photos here http://www.sport-pic...at/04/index.htm

Enjoy

John

A couple of shots on my site http://msrphotograph...o_page_189.html
http://msrphotograph...o_page_190.html

#14 k21john

k21john

• 67 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 19:17

Great photos Mick

Cheers

John

#15 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 20:19

Excellent photos Mick :wave: Looked at your site the other day, some great stuff on there bike and non-bike related :clap:
The big dieslels bring back some memories of Croz, Reg, Granty. and Noddy.

David

#16 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 10:30

Well, then. I didn't get to interview Guy Martin on air, it was all a bit hectic over the weekend. * But I did get to shoot the breeze with him over a few beers on Sunday evening after the event, on a variety of subjects, and you can take it from him, Lea Gourlay is very much the real deal. He said Lea nailed him on the end of the last lap in all races, and Guy had no reply for him. He rates him very highly indeed, and loves racing with him. Question answered. Guy himself is a complex but captivating character, with any number of irons in a variety of fires, and certainly won't die wondering how to get more out of his life, he has two jobs, and interests include not just bike racing, but steam engines, mountain biking, farming and of course gargling inordinate volumes of tea ! A good lad.

*The Kings of Wanneroo meeting was won by Jonathan Rea, with Andrew Pitt second, and three riders tied for third : Ian Lowry, Simon Andrews and Daniel Stauffer. Red hot racing, and lots of comedy. Great stuff ! :clap:

#17 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:05

Well, then. I didn't get to interview Guy Martin on air, it was all a bit hectic over the weekend. * But I did get to shoot the breeze with him over a few beers on Sunday evening after the event, on a variety of subjects, and you can take it from him, Lea Gourlay is very much the real deal. He said Lea nailed him on the end of the last lap in all races, and Guy had no reply for him. He rates him very highly indeed, and loves racing with him. Question answered. Guy himself is a complex but captivating character, with any number of irons in a variety of fires, and certainly won't die wondering how to get more out of his life, he has two jobs, and interests include not just bike racing, but steam engines, mountain biking, farming and of course gargling inordinate volumes of tea ! A good lad.

*The Kings of Wanneroo meeting was won by Jonathan Rea, with Andrew Pitt second, and three riders tied for third : Ian Lowry, Simon Andrews and Daniel Stauffer. Red hot racing, and lots of comedy. Great stuff ! :clap:

Glad you enjoyed it Glenn , thought you would :up: :up:

#18 bobness

bobness

• 257 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 13:47

Lea Gourlay is very much the real deal. He said Lea nailed him on the end of the last lap in all races, and Guy had no reply for him. He rates him very highly indeed, and loves racing with him. Question answered. Guy himself is a complex but captivating character, with any number of irons in a variety of fires, and certainly won't die wondering how to get more out of his life, he has two jobs, and interests include not just bike racing, but steam engines, mountain biking, farming and of course gargling inordinate volumes of tea ! A good lad.

Those pics bring back some serious memories of the early 80s.

What a super summary of Mr Martin above. I get Irish Racer mag and it's getting to the stage where his is the only rider column I read, as it's always on a huge variety of subjects, with well informed opinion. The rest I can take or leave (went cycling, don't know what I'm doing next year, thanks to my sponsors etc)
He's a man who would make me go to a meeting if I knew he was racing, much like Mr Sheene used to. A great character, and I would say my "favourite racer" currently. And utterly East Ham, if you know what I mean.

#19 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 19:10

OK, I am wrong again!! I still think.......... :p