Photo

Tom Meyer Aston Martin DB 3

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 VDP

VDP

• 666 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 14:47

I ve read that this one was the only fixed head body, but whot comitted this thing, in his life the front of the car was modified

Robert

Advertisement

#2 Dutchy

Dutchy

• 706 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:39

I ve read that this one was the only fixed head body, but whot comitted this thing, in his life the front of the car was modified

Robert

I don't understand the question, Robert.

#3 VDP

VDP

• 666 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 18:33

Who build such an horror at first , I found that this car was sold to Angela Brown. At this moment the front of the car was changed.

#4 Kevan

Kevan

• 518 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 22:03

Who build such an horror at first , I found that this car was sold to Angela Brown. At this moment the front of the car was changed.

Presumably you mean DB3/7, the Tom Meyer DB3 Coupe?
http://www.ultimatec...amp;carnum=3745
http://www.ultimatec...amp;carnum=3745

There's a description of the car in Anthony Pritchard's 'Aston Martin: the post-war competition cars':

The history is described as 'The first private owner was Tom Meyer, who entered the car in a number of endurance events.....': 1953 Spa 24 hours (Meyer/Fotheringham-Parker, DNF) Pescara 12 hours, (Meyer/Gaze, 6th) Goodwood 9 hours (Meyer/Fotheringham-Parker, 12th), 1954 Mille Miglia (crashed) and a 'couple of places in minor Scandinavian events that year'

Sold through HW Motors to Angela Brown in October 1954, and the bodywork modified to its current state ('When Meyer had the car it was distinguished by a very ugly rectangular air intake with vertical and horizontal cross bars, but Angela Brown had a new bonnet made with a simple oval air intake without a grille') She entered it in a number of minor events in 1955, before selling it at the end of the year.

Unfortunately it doesn't say who was responsible for the coupe bodywork, other than it being fitted from new- (then again, I'm not sure I'd want to admit responsibility for it either-compared with the factory DB3, let alone a DB3S, it's not the prettiest of cars, especially in it's original form with the very upright rectangular intake & grille...)

Anyone know more about it, particularly who did the coupe body? Was it an Aston factory job, or did A-M simply supply a DB3 chassis to Meyer?

According to the book, quite a few DB3s seem to have gained fixed-head bodies at various times of their lives- works car DB3/1 ran with a hardtop at Le Mans in '52, and ex-works DB3/3 and DB3/5 were both fitted with coupe bodies by subsequent owners (DB3/3 rebodied with a Vignale coupe body in Mike Sparken's ownership 1953-5, and DB3/5 fitted with an fhc body described by Pritchard as 'looking like an ineptly styled DB3S' for Nigel Mann in 1954, although rebodied again as an open car for 1955). The Meyer car seems to have been the only one that has spent it's entire life as a coupe though

Edited by Kevan, 19 October 2009 - 22:36.