Photo

Kobayashi Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2248 replies to this topic

#601 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:11

BBC says that Kamui is smart not makinghis situation difficult when some other racer comes to attack him from behind; he opens the door.
I do think that I want to see Kamui defending his position harder.
To cause dangerous situation ans to open his door is something entirely different. The same goes to his activities in the team with Sergio Perez, a highly rated rookie.

Originally printed in Autosport article: Interview Peter Sauber 2011 april 21.

Another very important factor is that he is a true team player, and that's something Sergio also benefits from.

Kamui over takes almost everybody over takes him, but if he does not allow to open the door, he will over take guys in front rather than re-taking someone who was chasing him. GO!

Advertisement

#602 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,765 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:19

BBC says that Kamui is smart not makinghis situation difficult when some other racer comes to attack him from behind; he opens the door.
To cause dangerous situation ans to open his door is something entirely different. The same goes to his activities in the team with Sergio Perez, a highly rated rookie.

Originally printed in Autosport article: Interview Peter Sauber 2011 april 21.

Kamui over takes almost everybody over takes him, but if he does not allow to open the door, he will over take guys in front rather than re-taking someone who was chasing him. GO!

Kamui's just playing it smart by not defending too hard, he must have enough confidence in being able to overtake the driver back. Also he has to consider the team's strategy, which with the C30's kindness to it's tyres has been different to the teams around them.

No offence to Sauber of course, but I hope Koba is on one of the big teams radar for the future...

#603 Checobayashi

Checobayashi

• 72 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:35

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Kobayashi talking through his Suzuka race last year.

#604 y2cwr2005

y2cwr2005

• 242 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:54

To be honest, it is actually smarter in the long run to not defend a position too hard.
All your doing by fighting for a position you know you can't hold, is losing time to those in front of you who you might potentially catch further into a race.

#605 BRG

BRG

• 11,706 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 13:39

I know it is the Piranha Club, but some things remain constant. If you play fair with other drivers and don't go all Schumacher on them, there is a better chance that they will play fair with you when the tables are reversed. They understand that in NASCAR, so maybe Kamui has realised that in the new era of F1 overtaking, it will also work.

#606 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,883 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 19:17

There is more to gain from sticking to your strategy and collecting the important points at the end of the race then to tug with a guys that are on a completely different strategy. KK has the confidence and everyone on the paddock knows he can overtake and so do many other drivers. This season he needs to show maturity and ability to consistently collect point, if the fortunes are with him he might even finish ahead of Schumi or Renault driver in the standings. There's much at stake from him. He's currently the most promising mid-field driver and could replace Webber, Massa or Kubica(If he doesn't return). I'm sure KK doesn't want to drive a Sauber next year, he's too good for the teams. Therefore I'm not too concerned if the choose not to overtake crazy like he did in 2010. The focus this year should be on the points because they speak louder than anything else.

#607 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,793 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 19:32

I think Kobayashi's racecraft is amongst the best, if not the best, of the current grid. If he's being passed by a quicker driver who's out of position due to a different strategy, he doesn't fight them (not to say that he actively moves out of their way, but he doesn't resist if they get alongside him into the braking zone) and so doesn't lose any time that could cost him, relative to the drivers he is fighting with. If roles are reversed, however, he is not afraid to make a decisive pass (as on Button at the 2009 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix). When he is actually fighting for position with his fellow upper-midfield competitors, he is aggressive, yet fair, in both attack and defence. The only occasion that I can remember him doing something questionable when dicing for position was during his very first Grand Prix, when he squeezed Nakajima off the road. I'd love to see him in a top car and fighting for the lead, instead of for a position in the lower reaches of the points.

#608 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,765 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 20:28

I think Kobayashi's racecraft is amongst the best, if not the best, of the current grid. If he's being passed by a quicker driver who's out of position due to a different strategy, he doesn't fight them (not to say that he actively moves out of their way, but he doesn't resist if they get alongside him into the braking zone) and so doesn't lose any time that could cost him, relative to the drivers he is fighting with. If roles are reversed, however, he is not afraid to make a decisive pass (as on Button at the 2009 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix). When he is actually fighting for position with his fellow upper-midfield competitors, he is aggressive, yet fair, in both attack and defence. The only occasion that I can remember him doing something questionable when dicing for position was during his very first Grand Prix, when he squeezed Nakajima off the road. I'd love to see him in a top car and fighting for the lead, instead of for a position in the lower reaches of the points.

He will be eventually...

It's amazing that before Timo injured himself, this guy was coming off an average GP2 season with DAMS and looking for any kind of funding to keep racing, and now he's establishing himself as one of the worlds top racing drivers...

Thanks Toyota, thanks Timo (in a weird way), and thank you Peter Sauber for taking him on in 2010: That was as good a decision as the one he made about Raikkonen in my eyes...

#609 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,809 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 20:31

drives like a nascar driver

#610 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,765 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 20:43

Is that a compliment? :p

he drives like the Anti-Sato...

#611 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,809 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 02:01

its a observation, theres both good and bad nascar drivers, but typicaly they dont race that hard until late in the race, as you lose a ton of time blocking on most ovals, its probably similier in f1 now with drs, kers and the pirelli tyres, so someone whos just pitted and is on fresh tyres is way faster so he wont make it difficult for them, someone who he has a realistic chance to beat? will fight hard :D

#612 moredeep

moredeep

• 143 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 02:12

Reminds me of myself playing a racing videogame.

For those who have heavily played Gran Turismo, F1 2010, Ridge Racer, rFactor... you know what I mean

#613 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,809 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 02:24

actully on iracing theres a TON of giving due to SR, some of it really is "no after you" :/

#614 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 19:21

That is an awesome clip!

#615 muramasa

muramasa

• 3,221 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 14:39

Kamui was on internet TV in Japan last sunday. He said that Rubens had asked Kamui for a favor (not sure when) - to get this thing from Japan for him. After wondering what Rubens meant by it for about ten min, he finally got it's Tenga (google that). So he himself actually went to a shop in Japan to get it, about 20 or so, and sent them to Rubens. He went on to reveal that during sunday morning's drivers parade at Shanghai GP few weeks ago, Rubens told him that he had used it the night before (sat night). That story was so funny, the program was fun to watch too. Seems havent been posted on youtube yet, but I wish i could translate all of them and post here!

here's the vid, but not sure it can be watched outside Japan.
http://www.nicovideo...atch/sm14265670

ps just in case, sorry mods in advance if this topic's inappropriate, hope it's no problem! :D

Edited by muramasa, 01 May 2011 - 05:37.

#616 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,809 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 15:26

http://en.wikipedia....sturbation_toy) :o

#617 Superbar

Superbar

• 409 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 21:12

Ah, so that's why Rubens races hasn't been that good lately.... :drunk: and here I thought it was the Williams that wasn't that good. :rotfl: Interesting, maybe Kamui should send some more of these up and down the pitlane? Who knows what other effects it would have? :p

#618 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 14:58

Excellent racing by Kamui! I was afraid for Massa in the final 3 laps... who was on fresher tires.

Great job KK!!! :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

... and wondering when one of the big teams will give him the call.

Edited by glorius&victorius, 08 May 2011 - 14:58.

#619 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 15:01

Koba has for sure the biggest hart (maybe ever raced) in f1.
the only thing which i am not sure is, whether he has the speed to become WDC, although i hope it for him.

great race (again) :up:

Advertisement

#620 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,084 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 15:55

Excellent drive by Kamui, would love to see him in a top team!

#621 911

• 2,208 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 17:05

I just saw the race. I agree - very good race by Kamui. He continues to impress.

#622 Malmedy

Malmedy

• 33 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 20:08

Yet again great race by KK. Does anybody know how he got a puncture?

#623 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,956 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 20:10

Yet again great race by KK. Does anybody know how he got a puncture?

Touched wheels when passing Buemi for position. Lost a load of positions as it was a way back to the pits unfortunately.

#624 minardifans

minardifans

• 242 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 20:22

Great race again today by Kamui. If there are no spaces left in a top team then Mercedes should really consider him to replace Schumacher if he decides not to continue or if Rosberg goes to Ferrari.

Edited by minardifans, 08 May 2011 - 20:22.

#625 Thermodynamic

Thermodynamic

• 8 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 20:53

here's the vid, but not sure it can be watched outside Japan.
http://www.nicovideo...atch/sm14265670

Nico Nico Douga isn’t blocked outside Japan. Anyone who wants to go throught the trouble of setting up an account can watch videos. An easier way to watch might be the Nico Nico Douga redirector [http://www.mmcafe.com/nico.html]. Just copy paste the entire URL and press watch. Thanks for the vid even though I didn’t understand a whole lot of it.

Great race by Kamui. :up: I was slightly confused. Kamui was behind Schumacher, Massa and Sutil. A while later he was about 7 seconds ahead. Did that whole group besides Kamui go in for a pitstop? I must have missed that.

#626 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,809 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:29

its harder to keep track of the races now :D

just a thought i got from the other thread. compair webbers first stint in china to kamui's first stint in turkey. havent got any lapcharts/graphs :x, but webber killed his hard tyres and went backwards after making some headway, in 8-10 laps?. china is a lil bit longer lap though (56 vs 58). kamui started further back, made up more places on track, and ran longer than alot of the front runners did. in a worse car.

kamui was upto 5th before pitting around lap 14?

thats pretty damn impressive :o

#627 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:19

Some real 'go-karting' moves there, heheh.

#628 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,592 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:57

its harder to keep track of the races now :D

just a thought i got from the other thread. compair webbers first stint in china to kamui's first stint in turkey. havent got any lapcharts/graphs :x, but webber killed his hard tyres and went backwards after making some headway, in 8-10 laps?. china is a lil bit longer lap though (56 vs 58). kamui started further back, made up more places on track, and ran longer than alot of the front runners did. in a worse car.

kamui was upto 5th before pitting around lap 14?

thats pretty damn impressive :o

TBF though the Sauber seems very easy on it's tyres - remember Perez only did 1 stop in Australia.

#629 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,809 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:46

i know that, but he still made better progress than webber.

#630 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,592 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:16

i know that, but he still made better progress than webber.

True, but he didn't finish on the podium though.  ;)

Are Sauber running KERS?

Edited by krapmeister, 09 May 2011 - 12:21.

#631 DEVO

DEVO

• 2,637 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 17:09

So now we have 2 races (Webber and now Kobayashi ) where having better tires for the race proves to be more valuable than starting grid position. Seems like RBR understand that and sacrificed the least amount of tires and yet made it to poll (just goes to show how powerful their cars/drivers are). Not sure why other teams are not sacrificing grid position for better tires for the race.

#632 dau

dau

• 4,578 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 17:24

True, but he didn't finish on the podium though. ;)

Are Sauber running KERS?

Yup. The Ferrari/MM unit.

#633 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,500 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 17:54

So now we have 2 races (Webber and now Kobayashi ) where having better tires for the race proves to be more valuable than starting grid position. Seems like RBR understand that and sacrificed the least amount of tires and yet made it to poll (just goes to show how powerful their cars/drivers are). Not sure why other teams are not sacrificing grid position for better tires for the race.

Koba would certainly have finished higher if he had started in the top 10.

#634 DEVO

DEVO

• 2,637 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 20:20

Koba would certainly have finished higher if he had started in the top 10.

I agree but only if he conserved tires...say use one set to get to q2. Then use harder compound to get as high as possible in q2. Then save the rest for race 2 new soft and 2 new hards.

#635 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 21:55

Wow, so we are looking at the making of...! That is great...

Looking back, one interesting view from grandprix.com analysis.

Originally published at the GrandPrix.com site. Introduction part. Elaborated article is to be read there.
The Chinese Grand Prix was a superb race for pure entertainment value. But in amongst it all, the strategists will have noted interesting things.

Key among them is that Mark Webber, despite being eliminated in Q1 and starting the grand prix 18th, was able to finish just 7.5s behind Lewis Hamilton's winning McLaren. He was significantly further behind than that at the end of the opening lap.

Just think about that for a moment. He was able to drive a quicker race through traffic than the race winner, who was neither on the wrong strategy nor cruising towards the end. Quite the reverse in fact; Hamilton was as flat-out as the Pirellis allowed him to be as he chased down Rosberg, team mate Button and the two-stopping Vettel/Massa.

I could very well be that James Key gambled to place Kobayashi. If he had no puncture then Kobayashi could have been for sure at 7th, which I believe. but the race incidents are hugely compromising time after time.

Edited by One, 10 May 2011 - 08:06.

#636 DracoN

DracoN

• 901 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 21:07

Kobayashi " style" :D

http://www.youtube.c...t=FLlDa2UEg4g8Q

#637 Doughnut King

Doughnut King

• 501 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 16:25

Nice to see him get some points. Deserved a penalty for his move on Sutil though when compared to other incidents that where punished during the race.

Edited by Doughnut King, 29 May 2011 - 16:25.

#638 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 16:26

great race again by koba :up:

#639 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,616 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 16:48

On the verge of catching Massa and Petrov in the standings! :up:

Advertisement

#640 hodg

hodg

• 76 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 17:29

Great drive again by Kobayashi, strategy really worked well for him.

I do think he deserved that reprimand though (probably lucky to get away without a time penalty), it was a late move...

#641 learningtobelost

learningtobelost

• 679 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 17:42

Great drive again by Kobayashi, strategy really worked well for him.

I do think he deserved that reprimand though (probably lucky to get away without a time penalty), it was a late move...

It was a pretty identical move in terms of optimism and execution as Hamilton on Maldonado, Kamui sholud unfortunately be penalised if there is to be balanced application of these penalties... however, I'd rather not see penalties for racing incidents like these. Webber/Hamilton at Singapore last year was almost identical too and was wisely left unpunished. Let them race.

#642 DracoN

DracoN

• 901 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 17:45

penalty or not, Lewis got +20 so kamu will still in 5th

#643 learningtobelost

learningtobelost

• 679 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 17:53

penalty or not, Lewis got +20 so kamu will still in 5th

True, but I'd rather not see penalties awarded for genuine racing incidents, it discourages drivers from taking risks and pacifies racing.

#644 911

• 2,208 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 17:57

Very solid drive again by Kamui. He & Sauber collected some good points today. Well done, Koba!

#645 peter89

peter89

• 69 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 18:01

At the end of the day he was just very, very lucky. Good points but the weekend to forget.
Easily outqualified by a rookie, good strategy, some points.
But it wasn't his best weekend, I expected a lot more. We will see if Perez may match and beat his pace in other races. Certainly he was far from his best.

#646 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,194 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 18:05

True, but I'd rather not see penalties awarded for genuine racing incidents, it discourages drivers from taking risks and pacifies racing.

:up:

We live in sad times when we're discussing the possibility of a penalty for a genuine mistake that didn't even cause superficial damage to either party, or anyone else.

#647 hodg

hodg

• 76 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 18:11

At the end of the day he was just very, very lucky. Good points but the weekend to forget.
Easily outqualified by a rookie, good strategy, some points.
But it wasn't his best weekend, I expected a lot more. We will see if Perez may match and beat his pace in other races. Certainly he was far from his best.

Yeah it wasn't his best weekend speed wise, not sure Monaco is his best track yet he still got a great result.

Perez certainly looked good and it would have been interesting to see where he would've finished in comparison.

#648 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 18:18

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

loved the drive...!

#649 learningtobelost

learningtobelost

• 679 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 18:20

:up:

We live in sad times when we're discussing the possibility of a penalty for a genuine mistake that didn't even cause superficial damage to either party, or anyone else.

Quite, but when you consider Fuji 2008 and the drive through Hamilton got for not even making contact at turn 1, you would think that Kamui would be given a 3 season ban for that move. Utterly ridiculous of course, but that's modern F1 for you. I'm just happy that the penalty if awarded won't have a bearing on the final standings.

Give the stewards a drive through I say!

#650 911

• 2,208 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 18:24

I agree with some of what you said, but disagree about being very, very lucky and a weekend to forget. True, he was outpaced by Perez during qualifying and he did benefit by the first Safety Car in the race, but he absolutely made the most of his race with a fine 5th place finish and I'm sure this is a weekend that he won't forget.