Photo

Kobayashi Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2248 replies to this topic

#51 klyster

klyster

• 4,239 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 18:13

Aside from the dodgy weaving, what a drive!!

I hope he gets signed soon.

Cool name too, Kamui is a famous Ninja and also means divine spirit :D

Edited by klyster, 18 October 2009 - 18:21.

Advertisement

#52 Coral

Coral

• 2,701 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 18:16

Kobayashi was absolutely fantastic today! I hope he gets the Toyota drive instead of Trulli...he deserves it.

#53 HP

HP

• 14,157 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 18:17

That was the most impressive F1 debut since ages.

#54 Fudce

Fudce

• 282 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 18:20

Kobayashi was fantastic today. He was a bit naughty in places (moving in the braking area) and should get his wrists slapped because of it, but he didn't just sit back and yield to a faster car. Overtaking too was impressive. He well deserves a drive in 2010, and with a bit of refining we could have another gem.

#55 boost

boost

• 2,170 posts

Kid is fearless.. sign him up!

#56 Buckethead

Buckethead

• 705 posts

Nakajima will drive his last race in two weeks then. :)

#57 kaivo

kaivo

• 555 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 18:24

Toyota needs Kamui style Driver.
I hope they take him to 2010 line up with Glock.

#58 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,653 posts

That was the most impressive F1 debut since ages.

Er, Buemi at the start of the year? Scored points for a less well financed team AND managed to avoid weaving someone into the wall.

#59 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 2,538 posts

Oh no another Kamakazi mad japanese kid, he nearly took Button out a few times. End up nearly taking out his compatriot out forever, kick him out now before we witness many accidents.

Edited by Juan Kerr, 18 October 2009 - 18:25.

Advertisement

#60 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 1,860 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 18:25

It was perhaps a tad aggressive at times, but it was great to see.

Definitely interested in seeing him drive more races! :)

Edited by Nonesuch, 18 October 2009 - 18:29.

#61 Bishy

Bishy

• 989 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 18:26

Any aggressive overtaker gets the :up: from me! :clap:

#62 dexter311

dexter311

• 518 posts

Yep, definitely an impressive debut! Gotta love that move on Fisi and his skills in front of Jenson today.

#63 ryan86

ryan86

• 1,100 posts

Kubica, Vettel and Hamilton were all quite impressive on their respective debuts. Not sure about Bourdais, that was more stealth than speed.

#64 stevewf1

stevewf1

• 3,254 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 18:28

When is the last time an F1-first-time-starter got his own thread here? :)

#65 klyster

klyster

• 4,239 posts

Er, Buemi at the start of the year? Scored points for a less well financed team AND managed to avoid weaving someone into the wall.

Yeah, it seems SB often gets overlooked, he's been pretty damned good IMO.

#66 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,136 posts

Brilliant drive from this guy - only one negative and that was the Naka-chop.

#67 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,326 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 18:29

The guy has impressed me, from his races in Gp2 I knew he's agressive, but I didn't knew that he handles the pressure so well, Hope he gets a race seat next season with Toyota

#68 qvn

qvn

• 765 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 18:36

Wow, I am really impressed.

People is talking about his dangerous driving but remember this is his first ever F1 race without a lot of testing.
He defends and overtakes very well. Hope he could continue this form.

#69 the9th

the9th

• 1,544 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 18:48

Cowboyashi, the waver, to Mclaren in 2010.
You heard it here first! ;)

#70 lokiman

lokiman

• 1,700 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 18:49

Bloody good drive from Kobayashi. Very mature, and bloody quick. Someone sign this guy for a race seat, please.

#71 Jose Mourinho is Special

Jose Mourinho is Special

• 368 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 18:50

I'm still finding it amusing how he passed a KERs car (fisichella), from that far behind

#72 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 18:56

ANIMAL!!! :D

:up:

He's got the FEVER!  ;)

Edited by FlatOverCrest, 18 October 2009 - 18:57.

#73 Luca Pacchiarini

Luca Pacchiarini

• 407 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 18:57

^ yes, rotfl

#74 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 18:58

I wouldn't be upset to see Kobayashi make the 2010 grid full-time. I think Toyota may have unearthed what Renault, Toro Rosso, Force India and even Ferrari have not: an unpolished gem of talent. It still remains to be seen, though; Kobayashi's performance is due in no small part to his qulifying and saying out of trouble on the opening lap. If he didn't block as much and could find some extra speed in there - Button took three and a half seconds out of him once he'd cleared the Toyota if memory serves - he may just be Japan's best shot at a decent Formula One driver.

And his official nickanme should be Cowboyashi.

#75 stevewf1

stevewf1

• 3,254 posts

I'm still finding it amusing how he passed a KERs car (fisichella), from that far behind

Fisichella... :well:

#76 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,002 posts

He did such a great job today holding Button and various others off. I was pretty impressed.

Toyota better sign this man up for a racing seat.

#77 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

• 4,496 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 18:59

Kubica, Vettel and Hamilton were all quite impressive on their respective debuts. Not sure about Bourdais, that was more stealth than speed.

And then they got punished for showing balls and lectured that in F1 driving is like checkmate moves. Once you move, you cant change position. Especially Lewis, who at the beginning went for every gap he saw. Kobayashi, if given a seat, will get the same schooling and turn to the same cautious driving style like the others.

#78 kaivo

kaivo

• 555 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 19:16

No rules apply to Kobayashi!

Because Kobayashi RULEZ!

:clap:

#79 SoL

SoL

• 111 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 19:20

And then they got punished for showing balls and lectured that in F1 driving is like checkmate moves. Once you move, you cant change position. Especially Lewis, who at the beginning went for every gap he saw. Kobayashi, if given a seat, will get the same schooling and turn to the same cautious driving style like the others.

Exactly. And then the FIA try to make techinal changes to improve the spectacle. What complete and utter bollocks.

Advertisement

#80 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,401 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 19:29

Hey guys. That was an impressive drive for a debut by Kamui today, particularly in wheel-to-wheel battling, but let's not get over-excited. He ended up 10th out of 14 cars. Whereas his team-mate retired from 4th place. He did show balls today but let's keep things under a balanced perspective. The amount of time on camera isn't proportional to the quality of a performance.  ;)

#81 shonguiz

shonguiz

• 1,780 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 19:37

I was impressed, i now understand why Toyota prefers him to NAKA.

#82 The July Plot

The July Plot

• 482 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 19:44

He was a class act! A very exciting drive!

#83 Bouncing Pink Ball

Bouncing Pink Ball

• 733 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 19:48

Kobayashi is someone I was anticipating big things from and was a bit let down by his regular GP2 season, but after this weekend I'd like to see him back in F1 next year. My one reservation is that I'm afraid he could be another victim of this limited testing nonsense. He still needs a bit of finesse; some of his moves are occasionally on the borderline to be sure, but he has speed and aggression and that makes up for a lot.

#84 andysaint

andysaint

• 229 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 19:49

Only seen him in 1 race when he was doing his all to win a contract. Now he's got to go to the next one, put in a consistent performance and deliver consistent and fast lap times. He has fight but there is safe fighting driving and dangerous fighitng driver. He's the latter. IMO Toyota would do better in sticking with Glock and getting Kovalinen as it seems they can't get the really big names unless he does a blinder (IF he drives) in the final race. One race does not make a world class/decent/F1 standard driver

#85 saberskunk

saberskunk

• 19 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 19:50

Koba was great today, best debut drive since Hamilton

LOL at Button calling him a madman :)

#86 mstar

mstar

• 1,105 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 19:50

the guy was moving around in braking zones how does this make him good?? that was in rhe rules as u cannot do. otherwise he would of got passed by jb earlier

#87 stevewf1

stevewf1

• 3,254 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 19:52

Hey guys. That was an impressive drive for a debut by Kamui today, particularly in wheel-to-wheel battling, but let's not get over-excited. He ended up 10th out of 14 cars. Whereas his team-mate retired from 4th place. He did show balls today but let's keep things under a balanced perspective. The amount of time on camera isn't proportional to the quality of a performance. ;)

True, but...

Kobayashi - 1 Grand Prix start
Trulli - 214 Grand Prix starts

#88 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,401 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 19:58

One of the reasons I'm skeptic is that I remember a japanese guy doing his debut at Interlagos and being this impressive, specially after doing a quicker fastest lap than his highly rated team-mate. His name... Kazuki Nakajima.

The other reason I'm skeptic is because I've been watching Kobayashi race for the past 2 years and he's been nothing but a disappointment. Even his championship win in Asia seemed unimpressive.

But hey, he did surprise me this weekend! Wouldn't be the first driver that clicks with F1 after being crap at the level below.

#89 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,713 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 19:59

I'm super impressed with Kobayashi.

The incident with Nakajima was 50/50 in my opinion, and so what that it happened on his debut? It could happen in his 100th race and the outcome would be the same, it's not the worst thing ever to happen in F1.

Really ballsy moves though, although mostly in defending it must be said.

All in all though I would say that's the best performance anyone has put in at Brazil since a few of JPM's races there.

Onwards and upwards, that's for sure.

#90 PaulSc

PaulSc

• 29 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 20:01

cetrainly was an impressive debut..needs a bit more awareness especially around other japanese drivers but good debut...far more impressive than all those
other debutants/swapped drivers...

#91 BigWicks

BigWicks

• 750 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 20:04

was he really that impressive? certainly he did well to qualify reasonable high up and he stayed out of trouble on the opening lap, but after that he went backwards and driving nakajima off the track was moronic and could have resulted in a really nasty accident. quite how he escaped punishment by the stewards i'm not sure

#92 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,713 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 20:09

was he really that impressive? certainly he did well to qualify reasonable high up and he stayed out of trouble on the opening lap, but after that he went backwards and driving nakajima off the track was moronic and could have resulted in a really nasty accident. quite how he escaped punishment by the stewards i'm not sure

The pole sitter finished several positions behind the one he started in, Koboyashi finished ahead of the position he started in. Again, good going for a debut.

The incident with Nakajima looked sort-of spectacular, but really it wasn't anything amazing, just your standard 'will-he-won't-he' sideways move from both drivers. Nakajima clearly couldn't decide where he wanted to go on the track, as well as Koboyashi. Easily a 50/50 incident, which is why the stewards had no action to take.

#93 BigWicks

BigWicks

• 750 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 20:14

The pole sitter finished several positions behind the one he started in, Koboyashi finished ahead of the position he started in. Again, good going for a debut.

you have to mention the context, at least 5 cars ahead of him retired due to various incidents, in a normal f1 race you don't get that many retirements, i don't think what he did was especailly amazing.

The incident with Nakajima looked sort-of spectacular, but really it wasn't anything amazing, just your standard 'will-he-won't-he' sideways move from both drivers. Nakajima clearly couldn't decide where he wanted to go on the track, as well as Koboyashi. Easily a 50/50 incident, which is why the stewards had no action to take.

hey personally i'm fine with that sort of thing, they are all big boys out there, but when you consider all the rubbish punishments handed out over the last 2-3 years you do wonder about the consistency.

#94 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,591 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 20:16

hes the same mould of driver as montoya, and i think button was getting frustraited he couldnt get passed him more than anything else. I really enjoyed watching him, he was the most interesting thing in the GP by far. hamilton might have some compertion next year in the interesting while in car stakes :)

#95 dau

dau

• 4,569 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 20:17

One of the reasons I'm skeptic is that I remember a japanese guy doing his debut at Interlagos and being this impressive, specially after doing a quicker fastest lap than his highly rated team-mate. His name... Kazuki Nakajima.

The other reason I'm skeptic is because I've been watching Kobayashi race for the past 2 years and he's been nothing but a disappointment. Even his championship win in Asia seemed unimpressive.

But hey, he did surprise me this weekend! Wouldn't be the first driver that clicks with F1 after being crap at the level below.

I know what you mean. Everyone expected him to fight for the championship in his second F3Euro season, but he failed. Then he went to GP2Asia, but was mediocre in most of the races, the same goes for the regular GP2 championship in 2008.

But somehow there seems to be talent in him. Would be great to have a competitive japanese driver.

#96 THE "driverider"

THE "driverider"

• 804 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 20:17

Toyota would be silly not to replace Trulli with Kobayashi if Trulli is leaving, he kinda reminds me of Takuma Sato. I couldn't really get annoyed at him holding up Jenson cause he wasn't doing anything wrong, he was great.

#97 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,713 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 20:20

you have to mention the context, at least 5 cars ahead of him retired due to various incidents, in a normal f1 race you don't get that many retirements, i don't think what he did was especailly amazing.

That's very true actually, but there is also the context that all those experienced hands couldn't get round the first lap without retiring through truly idiotic crashes, while he makes it all the way to the chequered flag on his debut.

I agree with you on the inconsistency of punishments, although that's another debate, but my own feeling is that given how Nakajima tried a lunge up the inside at the very last moment it was at worst a 50/50 blame-share surely?

#98 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,713 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 20:24

I know what you mean. Everyone expected him to fight for the championship in his second F3Euro season, but he failed. Then he went to GP2Asia, but was mediocre in most of the races, the same goes for the regular GP2 championship in 2008.

But somehow there seems to be talent in him. Would be great to have a competitive japanese driver.

With some drivers they carry their previous form into F1, while others (Jan Magnussen for one) totally lose it.

I still hold firm to my opinion that Jenson Button was an average talent pre-F1, had a ****ing good management team that talked his way into an F1 test while his mostly superior peers vanished without trace and essentially has dicked around for most of his F1 career, but today he became WDC and I don't begrudge him it one bit, because in 2009 he drove like a WDC. (I ain't discussing Jenson any further though, it's been done to death for the last ten years)

Who knows, Koboyashi may be shit in all of his future races, but on the other hand sometimes some things just come together and work beautifully, with no explanation as to why things suddenly clicked, but Koboyashi and an F1 car may turn out to be a marriage made in heaven.

#99 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 20:25

BEST FIRST RACE SINCE JEAN ALESI, FRENCH GRAND PRIX 1989.

KAMUI HAS A GREAT FUTURE!

Advertisement

#100 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,401 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 20:44

BEST FIRST RACE SINCE JEAN ALESI, FRENCH GRAND PRIX 1989.

:drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

Schumacher? Villeneuve? Raikkonen, Alonso and Montoya all in the same GP? Webber? Rosberg? Hamilton? Sutil who outqualified his team-mate by a second in his first go? Hell, even Buemi got points on debut this year.