Kobayashi Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2248 replies to this topic

#101 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 20:46

:drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

Schumacher? Villeneuve? Raikkonen, Alonso and Montoya all in the same GP? Webber? Rosberg? Hamilton? Sutil who outqualified his team-mate by a second in his first go? Hell, even Buemi got points on debut this year.

Sure, but he was still awesome!

Advertisement

#102 Psymon

Psymon

• 725 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 20:50

I was impressed by his driving today, his defence of position does need some work on becoming not so overly-aggressive I think, but that will come with experience I think!

#103 pippin

pippin

• 741 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 20:57

I wouldn't say I was impressed with him, but I do think he did a really good job this weekend all considered.

#104 JarnoA

JarnoA

• 752 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 21:08

The guy needs to have his super license revoked. Any idiot can stay ahead of anyone if you weave all over the road, which he did with everyone behind.

16th in GP2 is about his skill level. In F1, he just creates moving chicanes by illegally weaving left to right. Get rid of him NOW.

#105 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,765 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 21:16

He was just brilliant, I don't think I have ever seen a more tenacious start to an F1 career. Japan must be celebrating this evening. He certainly made his point to Nakajima.

#106 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 21:19

The guy needs to have his super license revoked. Any idiot can stay ahead of anyone if you weave all over the road, which he did with everyone behind.

16th in GP2 is about his skill level. In F1, he just creates moving chicanes by illegally weaving left to right. Get rid of him NOW.

Are you serious?

He was a racer, he did nothing wrong.

#107 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,475 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 21:19

BEST FIRST RACE SINCE JEAN ALESI, FRENCH GRAND PRIX 1989.

KAMUI HAS A GREAT FUTURE!

That's a bit too far to compare him to Jean.

#108 jez6363

jez6363

• 574 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 21:20

Kobayashi was an absolute joy to watch. Sure, he needs to learn the ropes, and will probably get told off for some things, but the guy drove the socks off the car, and he was very very aware of and in control of what was going on around him for a rookie - he didn't take JB off, and while JB rightly said K was driving a bit crazy - he wasn't so crazy they collided, and that was because he was driving well, though obviously not quite how he should have been in F1.

I think we may have seen a future world champion here.

#109 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,654 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 21:21

He was just brilliant, I don't think I have ever seen a more tenacious start to an F1 career. Japan must be celebrating this evening. He certainly made his point to Nakajima.

That's an interesting way of putting it. I suppose Dr Shipman was just protesting at defects in pensioner care.

#110 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,765 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 21:27

That's an interesting way of putting it. I suppose Dr Shipman was just protesting at defects in pensioner care.

You just wanted to mention Dr Shipman in your post :)

Listen, after the mental moves Nakajima has pulled on his fellow drivers I detected a definite sense of poetic justice there. Out with the old, in with the new.

#111 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 21:29

That's a bit too far to compare him to Jean.

Both are pretty aggressive and quick.

Kamui was excellent today.

Aggressive, but really excellent.

#112 blackonyx4

blackonyx4

• 1,284 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 21:31

:drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

Schumacher
? Villeneuve? Raikkonen, Alonso and Montoya all in the same GP? Webber? Rosberg? Hamilton? Sutil who outqualified his team-mate by a second in his first go? Hell, even Buemi got points on debut this year.

Are you really sure about MS?

Qualis were impressive, but he was able to burn his clutch in 1st lap of the race!

I wouldnt call that impressive race debut! :p

#113 saudoso

saudoso

• 4,707 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 21:39

What are you doing here, Giancarlo?

#114 MattPete

MattPete

• 1,458 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 21:46

Kobayashi!

http://www.metatube....-Hot-Dog-Eater/

#115 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 22:27

Kobayashi!

http://www.metatube....-Hot-Dog-Eater/

Ah! so that's how he made the legal weight after the race..

#116 JarnoA

JarnoA

• 752 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 22:41

Are you serious?

He was a racer, he did nothing wrong.

You are allowed to defend your position once. You can't weave side to side to stop overtaking.

Otherwise, there would never be an overtaking move in F1.

Kobayashi was disgusting in this race. He should be banned, given the fact that he broke the rules time and time again, and even made Nakajima crash.

If you were allowed to weave to stop overtaking, nobody would ever overtake.

#117 moredeep

moredeep

• 143 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 23:23

"Kobra" Kobayashi

I motion that we utilize the power of this internet forum to popularize a fitting nickname for this beast

#118 maccaFTW

maccaFTW

• 704 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:03

lol @ Button's whine...

Button wasn't whining. He was sick. He had......

KOBAYASHI FEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: To explain where that came from, the ever prat John Howett was asked during the FIA press conference at Suzuka the following question regarding Glock's illness that kept him out of practice:

Q (Ralf Bach) What is illness of Timo? Is it Kobayashi fever?

A (JH) I just won't answer. It is such a stupid question and doesn't deserve an answer.

So in addition to being an idiot and an arrogant prick, he's also humorless!

I bet JH is feeling the KOBAYASHI FEVER right now.

Edited by maccaFTW, 19 October 2009 - 02:09.

#119 Direct Drive

Direct Drive

• 408 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:17

My son asked how the Hot Dog eating champion of Coney Island could get to F1!

Advertisement

#120 maccaFTW

maccaFTW

• 704 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:51

My son asked how the Hot Dog eating champion of Coney Island could get to F1!

Because he's got KOBAYASHI FEVER!!!!!!!!!

#121 maccaFTW

maccaFTW

• 704 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:09

We now have Button's official take on Kobayashi:

Q. How frustrating was it to be following Kamui Kobayashi for so long?

JB: That guy is crazy! I suppose it is just inexperience, but he moves a lot in the braking zones which makes it very difficult as Nakajima found out. Everyone else was tough but fair, he was a bit crazy and he will be put in his place a little bit more now. I had very good straightline speed, but when you have that you don't have as much downforce as other people.

#122 Fiorentina 1

Fiorentina 1

• 292 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:28

He drove a great race! Much better debut then all of the new guys. Made Grosjean look like an amateur! Made Nakajima look like a Japanese GT300 mid-packer. He made some mistakes, drove hard, but kept it on the track. His move on Nakajima wasn't cool when he came out of the pits, but the race winner did a move like that as well. He qualified extremely well and his first stint in the race was 10 out of 10! The fact that Button wasn't able to pass him straight away like he did on some of the other drivers speaks volume on his ability. He needs to be in a seat next season, and hopefully with Toyota in 2010.

#123 Madras

Madras

• 3,911 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:45

Nakajima incident wasnt in the braking zone. Button talks some crap.

#124 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,784 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:36

Button can be a loser even when winning a title.
Koba played him hard but fair. it's a men's sport, not a ladies walk in the park.
The move on Naka was not so good, true, but it was not worse than Marks....and it was not in the braking zone.
but i guess jenson's ego can't take the fact he was held by a complete rookie for so long.

btw, I loved koba's move on the outside of T1...does anybody have a replay of that? (PM if you don't want to share the link in public)

#125 stevewf1

stevewf1

• 3,259 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:45

For a first-time GP start, I thought Kobayashi did an excellent job. He was a bit "rough around the edges" maybe, but so were several other drivers out there...

#126 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,248 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:51

After that performance, I won't be surprised if he replaced Trulli after his stupidity yesterday.

#127 Don_Humpador

Don_Humpador

• 2,223 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:56

I like this kid, he can actually race (which is more than can be said for Grosjean :well: ). He gave the 2009 WDC a real run for his money, and Button had to make a big move to outbrake him.. Impressive stuff from Kamui :up:

His move on Nakajima was a bit silly but he'll learn as he gets more experience.

Really hope he gets a drive for 2010. Wouldn't mind seeing some more of him in 2009, though, either (but not at the expense of Glock) :p

#128 Tobias

Tobias

• 70 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:12

normally not a big fan of Japanese drivers, but Kobayashi impressed me a lot yesterday. Unfortunate not to get a point really.

#129 blizzzzard

blizzzzard

• 167 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:20

Don't worry guys. Kobayashi won't be in F1 for long. Typical japanese kamikaze with no clue how to race intelligently. His move on the struggling Fisichella was good, but nothing else impressed me.

It became a trend now that japanese drivers do something spectacular in their first races. Naka had 5th best fastest lap in his first F1 race, and had his best result in the second. Since then, nothing.

#130 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:20

Kobayashi did move his car too much like Marin has said during the BBC live. Kobayashi is a fighter driver thatis OK, but he is asking for accidents, fatal accidents. I actually DO NOT think there is a driver whose life is less than Kobayashi's behavior.

#131 wdh

wdh

• 1,044 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:21

Nakajima incident wasnt in the braking zone. Button talks some crap.

I think you'll find that at that point, Button hadn't seen the incident, just been told about the coming-together.
Maybe unwise to finger the guy on that basis, but he'd seen a lot of his weaving from close quarters - and IMHO dealt with it pretty well.
He sounded fed up, rather than angry, on the in-car when he eventually complained of the blocking. Sort of 'hey, enough is enough'. Pretty mild considering just how much faster Button's pace actually was.
And the "crazy!" comment that I heard on the BBC seemed to be said with a bit of surprised admiration rather than rancour.

I thought it was a very impressive debut.
Before the race he was talking about learning Interlagos from video games - I thought it odd that he didn't mention a simulator.
First F1 race and at an unknown track, wet practice ... very impressive

How come no-one has compared him to Irvine? Seems to me like the obvious comparator for now.

#132 Phucaigh

Phucaigh

• 2,838 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:24

Kobayashi was good, he even had Jenson looking for some help from the FIA.

#133 Dirty Ol Stard

Dirty Ol Stard

• 42 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:36

if they give him a chance in 2010 and if he learns the ropes quickly, i can say we are looking the future WDC contestant. I like his aggressive style and his confidence and i believe that in 2010 he can show us his potential in Toyota and keep Toyota in F1 for some longer period of time.

Go Kobayashi, only the sky is the limit :clap: :clap:

#134 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,245 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:48

If everyone would drive like Kobayashi we would never see a overtaking maneuvre. The guy just zig-zags all over the track

#135 Rafo

Rafo

• 95 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:25

awsome debut ...he got my attention specially after dividing the T1/T2 with button in the move button passed on T1, went long and Koba got it back for T2 ...some balls to do that on your first F1 race ever knowing you could put out the WDC chances of the other driver.

please hire this guy for 2010

anyone knows if he will be in Abu Dahbi?

#136 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:40

anyone knows if he will be in Abu Dahbi?

There's been no word.

#137 Siskue

Siskue

• 99 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:42

Excellent drive for a rookie
look at other Noobs on track pritty pathetic
but this guy is really good, and raced very well
Button was whining simply....i didnot see him moving in braking zone
Kobayachi FTW :up:

the Naka incident, it was hard blocking from Koba, same as Weber....and it could be fault of Naka aswell....as he should have given up the inside line and should have taken the outside and nailed him through the next corners

Edited by Siskue, 19 October 2009 - 12:44.

#138 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,404 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 13:05

Made Nakajima look like a Japanese GT300 mid-packer...

Yeah right: Nakajima was only one place behind Kobayashi and trying to overtake him.
People should have a closer look at Nakajima's speed before bashing on him. True he was slower than Rosberg but that's no shame, true he didn't score points this year but he did have a lot of bad luck and last year he often matched and beat Rosberg. This year he only beat him twice in qualy but his speed was not so bad. Nakajima did a better job as Piquet and if you look at grid positions, Kazuki was most of the time around place 11 or 12 on the grid and even 5th in Silverstone, he was never on the back, that's not bad at all. The speed & talent is there for sure.

Still I must say Kobayashi impressed me a lot too, he was very exciting to watch and the entertainment he gave us is just what F1 needs.

Edited by William Hunt, 19 October 2009 - 18:08.

#139 F3000man

F3000man

• 74 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 13:07

Kobaysahi is flawless so far.

Nuff said.

Advertisement

#140 juary

juary

• 764 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 13:13

Congrats to Koba...excellent rookie debut, even if the move with Naka was too dangerous...anyway Toyota has his japanese driver

#141 gaston_foix

gaston_foix

• 2,678 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 16:52

Very impressive for Koba, especially with wet setup (Toyota was very slow on the longer straight...).

#142 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,022 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 16:55

As they say if you have a new driver, it's always preferable to have one that's too aggressive, that you have to try to teach them how to temper it.

Kobayashi can learn, or be taught, to temper his aggressiveness and mature and become great.

Alguersuari and Grosjean are already lost causes, they've come in and been passive from the get-go.

Any team boss with half a brain would rate Kobayashi over Alguersuari, Grosjean, and even Fishichella. That guy has totally lost whatever fighting spirit he ever had.

#143 F1_conman

F1_conman

• 505 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 16:58

One note on Kobayashi - at this point the jury is still out (we only had one race ffs) but to me initially this guy seems closer to the 'dangerous' than brilliant
on the brilliant to dangerous driver scale.....

#144 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,806 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 18:12

As they say if you have a new driver, it's always preferable to have one that's too aggressive, that you have to try to teach them how to temper it.

Kobayashi can learn, or be taught, to temper his aggressiveness and mature and become great.

Alguersuari and Grosjean are already lost causes, they've come in and been passive from the get-go.

Any team boss with half a brain would rate Kobayashi over Alguersuari, Grosjean, and even Fishichella. That guy has totally lost whatever fighting spirit he ever had.

Lol, Grosjean is anything but passive.

#145 dau

dau

• 4,578 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 18:26

One note on Kobayashi - at this point the jury is still out (we only had one race ffs) but to me initially this guy seems closer to the 'dangerous' than brilliant
on the brilliant to dangerous driver scale.....

At least in Brazil he was on the upper end of the boring to exciting driver scale though.

#146 ezequiel

ezequiel

• 898 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 19:11

Don't worry guys. Kobayashi won't be in F1 for long. Typical japanese kamikaze with no clue how to race intelligently. His move on the struggling Fisichella was good, but nothing else impressed me.

It became a trend now that japanese drivers do something spectacular in their first races. Naka had 5th best fastest lap in his first F1 race, and had his best result in the second. Since then, nothing.

Or Takagi taking 13th spot on the grid at his debut, and with a Tyrrell... Let's be prudent. Kobayashi still has a lot to prove.

#147 MaxScelerate

MaxScelerate

• 4,321 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 20:32

funny...

Jenson Button did the give-up-the-inside-then-retake-outside trick to I-don't-know-who in Senna's esse and the commentators were all 'ohh, see, that's experience'... When Koba did the same a few laps later, it was reckless dangerous driving according to... Jense? -- For all I could see he didn't so much weave as he did go for the inside and straightened up when he saw Jenson coming fast. You could call that 'changing direction' if you will.

...or was Jenson speaking of another attempt? We got a commercial break and when the show came back on it was already a done thing.

(As for the Nakajima hit, well that certainly was not a great move but it wasn't senna-prost, schu-villo or such kind of not-great-move...)

#148 maccaFTW

maccaFTW

• 704 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 21:44

Or Takagi taking 13th spot on the grid at his debut, and with a Tyrrell... Let's be prudent. Kobayashi still has a lot to prove.

Especially since his GP2 career in Europe has been anything but dignified.

#149 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,784 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 22:01

Especially since his GP2 career in Europe has been anything but dignified.

NPjr has won GP2 and failed in F1...

#150 dexter311

dexter311

• 518 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 22:19

Is this Kamui at Goodwood?

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

:drunk: