Photo

Kobayashi Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2248 replies to this topic

#1851 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:15

in post-Quali interview session yesterday in Japanese, he was suggesting setup issue and horrible balance, lack of grip, not able to use recent conservative Pirelli, etc.
http://www.f1-stinge.../04/042367.html
http://www.f1-stinge.../04/042368.html
cannot bother to do translation but if anyone can read Japanese.

he said the issue is lack of downforce and grip at low speed, which disturbs braking stability at hard braking points, so he tried many setup combinations but kept messing it up, but wouldnt be worse for race but that depends on other teams, etc etc.

his interview in Japanese is practically off-the-record here (and basically these and magazines are the sources for those stories I present time to time here), but is always very informative and interesting, even for doing hindsight analysis.

Thanks for that. May I ask if interest in Kamui's dilema increased in public domain or remain the same in Japan?

Advertisement

#1852 jcbc3

jcbc3

• 5,090 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:55

Kamui about yesterdays race:

...There was a problem with downshifting, which meant I could not recharge the KERS properly and didn't have full boost. Otherwise my race went well. I had a good start, while the team did a great job in terms of timing, strategy and the pit stop.

Which would explain Perez overtaking him. And would again show that Kamui got the maximum out of a given situation.

#1853 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:22

Kamui about yesterdays race:

Which would explain Perez overtaking him. And would again show that Kamui got the maximum out of a given situation.

This is very important.

#1854 muramasa

muramasa

• 3,021 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:33

Thanks for that. May I ask if interest in Kamui's dilema increased in public domain or remain the same in Japan?

not so sure about it, but at least fans in general are more aware of the situation, and seems Kamui's working on it really hard altho he cant reveal much atm. At Indian GP he joked "(frustrated to have to work on finding such big amount of money) Maybe I'm gonna do bank robbery" :lol:
it's shame he's Japanese and doesnt have good connections and managers of Todt jr's, Hamilton dad's, Willi Weber's, Merc's, Ferrari's etc. If he had such connection that's widely and easily available to those western drivers, things wouldve been much easier to him perhaps. He had Toyota which is gone from f1 now, so he have to do it by himself to great degree. Pity him.

btw here's kamui's sunday quote i posted in sauber thread:

Kamui's post race interview (in Japanese)
http://www.f1-stinge.../05/042399.html

rough translation;

had KERS trouble, could not fully use KERS
the clutch slip when downshifting
hence caused severe instability to brake balance, especially tough on hard braking
those issues affecting lap time badly, so quite tough race overall

communicate with engineers to control the issue as much as possible
kept adjusting various settings

had the trouble from very early stage of the race
timing of the 1st safety car helped alot as that point of the race the issue was at its worst state

was saving tyres actually when closed in on by Massa before 2nd safety car came out. that he could control and open the gap to Massa after SC in was positive point of the race

#1855 alain_sl

alain_sl

• 70 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:00

KAMUI SUPPORT website

#1856 Don_Humpador

Don_Humpador

• 2,223 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:17

KAMUI SUPPORT website

muramasa, can you translate? :up:

Rough Google translate (it's bad)

Thank you for supporting the everyday life Kamui Kobayashi.
After the podium at the Japanese GP recently received a lot of messages, our staff, we really appreciate it, including the Kobayashi also.

Here every day, a variety of coverage has been about the next season of committing Kobayashi, We apologize for the worry and everyone.

Under such circumstances, I had a lot of offers of financial assistance to Kobayashi from everyone of many fans. We express our hearty thanks to the warm voice.

Kobayashi has been negotiating with the coming season now in full force, as you know, the presence or absence of dowry has a significant impact on the acquisition of the sheet everyone of the fans.

Kobayashi was thinking "professional racing driver and work skills that will buy that" it until now.
That's why F1 is the world's premier motor sport, has fought only three seasons of thought Motoko recognized the technology is that it should take.
However, to fight among F1 F1 economic conditions of the past few years, we are facing a situation Ru asked the driver also financial power as well as driving ability.

In order to be made to acquire and F1 champion, won the first Japanese driver in F1 as a dream from childhood,
I have to believe that the fourth season F1 racing toward full, thank you donation "KAMUI SUPPORT", Kobayashi and obtained the cooperation of everyone even a little this time.

Given the current situation in Japan, of course, for an individual to continue to race in F1, can raise funds from our activities is also very Kokorogurushiku you feel, and I was very worried.
However, by Kobayashi continued to run, if given the courage and strength to everyone, even a little, I came to the conclusion that there is or is not significant only in it.

Is he saying he's found some financial support? Or he's asking for it? I don't understand.

There is an email link later in the page.. looks like he is seeking the sponsors. But what is this 'Dream win' stuff..?

Edited by Don_Humpador, 22 November 2012 - 11:19.

#1857 jcbc3

jcbc3

• 5,090 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:48

All your base are belong to us

#1858 alain_sl

alain_sl

• 70 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 14:00

Is he saying he's found some financial support? Or he's asking for it? I don't understand.

he is looking for donations.

#1859 qczhao

qczhao

• 29 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 14:30

I reckon if Sauber overhaul Merc, I think Koba stays. Otherwise Gutierrez will replace him.

Advertisement

#1860 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,251 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 16:23

Gutierrez is already a while certain of his place, I'm surprised that people still doubt that, the official confirmation is just a formality.

#1861 KinoNoNo

KinoNoNo

• 170 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 17:33

I was surprised they didn't announce Gutierrez last week in Texas with all those Mexicans in town.

I gave up hope that KK was staying in F1 after that Korea disaster.

This year has been a bad year for drivers with their surname starting with K; Kovy, Koby and maybe Karthy out of the door.

Edited by KinoNoNo, 22 November 2012 - 18:52.

#1862 Don_Humpador

Don_Humpador

• 2,223 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 17:35

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/104470

It seems the team have not informed him of anything that's going on, which basically says the team has no respect for him. :down:

If they wanted Gutierrez in the car they should've just said so a few races ago and let Kamui sort his own future out instead of leaving it to the last minute :rolleyes:

How is a driver supposed to do well if they are constantly worried about their future? This is not a good way to build confidence.

#1863 amarelo

amarelo

• 19 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 17:39

I think he's out, from previous quotes he obviously knew Sauber was impossible and was looking for another team to stay in F1, but today's interview show he wasnt able to get that spot. He does talk about better chances to get get back on F1 in 2014 with a top team then to stay in F1 in 2013, this must be Honda contacts??? Anyway i'll be rooting for him in Le Mans next year ;)

ps: I think he'll deliver Sauber (after they announce Gutierrez) with enough points to pass Mercedes on the championship standings

Edited by amarelo, 22 November 2012 - 17:40.

#1864 KavB

KavB

• 1,079 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 18:30

Seems like he's out. A shame. I hope this isn't the end of his F1 career. It'd be awesome if by some miracle he got in front of Perez in the championship!

#1865 Don_Humpador

Don_Humpador

• 2,223 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 18:34

Seems like he's out. A shame. I hope this isn't the end of his F1 career. It'd be awesome if by some miracle he got in front of Perez in the championship!

I would laugh so hard.

#1866 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,832 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 18:40

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/104470

It seems the team have not informed him of anything that's going on, which basically says the team has no respect for him. :down:

If they wanted Gutierrez in the car they should've just said so a few races ago and let Kamui sort his own future out instead of leaving it to the last minute :rolleyes:

How is a driver supposed to do well if they are constantly worried about their future? This is not a good way to build confidence.

according to finnish media Kobayashi was told wednesday morning before Austin weekend that he will be replaced by Gutierrez. on Autosport interview he clearly knows he is out and Monisha has Esteban to be announced.

#1867 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,503 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 18:51

Perez has gone ahead and announced Guiterrez.
Huge shame, and I can't see how this will be a change for the better. I don't believe Sauber does either, but I'm thinking they must've been able to get an option on additional money, should Guiterrez prove underwhelming, and Sauber finishes lower in the CC than this year.

#1868 onewingedangel

onewingedangel

• 908 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 19:31

Even if he loses his race seat, Kobayashi might get a third driver role - most teams don't really have a reserve who would realistically take a race seat if one of their drivers fell ill.

I think he might look to the WEC as well - although Toyota are reportedly happy with their current drivers, so a works drive with the chance for wins is probably out of the question.

Edited by onewingedangel, 22 November 2012 - 19:34.

#1869 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 2,800 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 19:38

Even if he loses his race seat, Kobayashi might get a third driver role - most teams don't really have a reserve who would realistically take a race seat if one of their drivers fell ill.

I think he might look to the WEC as well - although Toyota are reportedly happy with their current drivers, so a works drive with the chance for wins is probably out of the question.

I think Frijns will be 3rd driver of Sauber

#1870 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,610 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 19:50

So, two pretty equal guys... Perez goes to McLaren and Kobayashi is out of the sport. Where is the fairness? :(

#1871 Talisman

Talisman

• 772 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 19:52

Perez has gone ahead and announced Guiterrez.

What an idiot. Might have been a slip of the tongue but given how Sauber had made it clear that the news wouldn't be announced until later this weekend Perez could have kept some resemblance of professionalism and towed the party line.

I have to say that saying that he wanted to get a drive purely on skill alone might be honourable but completely ignores the economic perils many teams face and contributed a lot to Kobayashi losing his seat. He has only himself to blame for that. It was always unrealistic to imagine that anyone could rustle together $5-10 million in two months.

I do think he might get a drive at one of the lower teams if he brings some money together in time. That may be what he means by getting a top drive by 2014.

#1872 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 2,800 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 20:24

So, two pretty equal guys... Perez goes to McLaren and Kobayashi is out of the sport. Where is the fairness? :(

Perez is younger, has less starts, has more marketing value and has more points this season. Also showing more promise.

#1873 fisssssi

fisssssi

• 1,021 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 20:57

Any hope of Kamui getting the 2nd Williams seat? I think he could do really well there.

#1874 dau

dau

• 4,569 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 20:58

Perez has gone ahead and announced Guiterrez. [...]

Where?

#1875 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 21:06

Any hope of Kamui getting the 2nd Williams seat? I think he could do really well there.

BOTTAS

#1876 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,503 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 21:15

Where?

"Guiterrez to replace me, says Perez"

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/104476

#1877 dau

dau

• 4,569 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 21:20

Guess i need new glasses. Thanks.

#1878 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 21:56

Bernmioe said about Kimi that F1 is foir a biog boy, and Kimi had his own share, he has done that. Kimi is now back so.

#1879 qczhao

qczhao

• 29 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 23:02

sigh. it seems like hope is fading for Kamui to be on the grid next year :(

Advertisement

#1880 MattPete

MattPete

• 1,443 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:18

I'd like to see Kobayashi in Force India. Perhaps with Force India's new $50mil cash infusion, bringing sponsorship will not be a requirement.

#1881 nomi

nomi

• 288 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:30

Poor manners and very rude from Perez.

#1882 mich

mich

• 107 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:51

There are his chance of Lotus, FI and bottom 3 teams.

#1883 muramasa

muramasa

• 3,021 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:26

Thursday interview (in Japanese)
http://www.f1-stinge.../23/042596.html

not going to translate coz quite long, and also difficult to translate with all nuances correctly, but some snippets;

on "kamui support" donation
-it happened because there were really many requests and rapidly increasing demands by various people for such things
-wanted to do it earlier, but all those things like tax and many other things are quite complicated
-not targeting tens of millions dollars, but it's part of many efforts to raise funds to secure seat
-not meant to be an anouncement of determination, deflect some fans anxiety or hidden sign or message to possible sponsors, but in order to race in F1 in 2013
-for him to be in F1 is means to race and fight and win, not just to "remain" in F1. he wants to race in competitive team, not backmarker team.

He and his management team have been working hard. The last thing I'd believe is that they were naive or being too late - sometimes situation is totally out of your control no matter what you do. He doesnt have the likes of Hami dad, Weber, Todt jr, Flavio and so on. In F1 such connection does matter.

What I'm impressed the most is that he's been surprisingly calm and positive lately despite uncertain situation. hopefully everyting will be fine.

#1884 nomi

nomi

• 288 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:08

Who is Kamui's management?

#1885 muramasa

muramasa

• 3,021 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:29

Arimatsu who has connection with Mario Miyagawa, ex-manager of Alesi, who's now managing Kamui's promotion side and actually helped Kamui to secure Sauber seat at the end of 2009.

#1886 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:28

Arimatsu who has connection with Mario Miyagawa, ex-manager of Alesi, who's now managing Kamui's promotion side and actually helped Kamui to secure Sauber seat at the end of 2009.

Coulda Woulda Shoulda, makes little sense here, but...

IO want Koba to make strong performance to make every single person regret to have any decision that made the Koba's today. He can do it.

#1887 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:29

Good Question. Move to Lewis' team may help him a lot.

#1888 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 8,405 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:32

Coulda Woulda Shoulda, makes little sense here, but...

IO want Koba to make strong performance to make every single person regret to have any decision that made the Koba's today. He can do it.

The problem is that many will see it as too little too late. It's not enough to have a few strong performances sprinkled here and there, consistency is very important.

#1889 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:37

The problem is that many will see it as too little too late. It's not enough to have a few strong performances sprinkled here and there, consistency is very important.

Like as if Koba was not a consistant race driver, who over took many of his competitor with magic move at almost all track he went for.
Great manager cold have made the mental side of his racing skill stronger which promises peak performance. Avarage is high enough for Koba, a lot more consistent than Perez who switch off too often. While the peak performance that Koba delivered during the 2012 campaign was not as sensational as Perez, nor his after race talks.
Two fronts:
1. Peak performance
2. big Defiant Mouth

#1890 03011969

• 489 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:37

Anybody got practice session times for Gutierrez to compare with the other Sauber? IIRC Gutierrez was never especially quick, although I guess he has (friends with) deep pockets?

Edited by 3011969, 23 November 2012 - 11:38.

#1891 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:07

Anybody got practice session times for Gutierrez to compare with the other Sauber? IIRC Gutierrez was never especially quick, although I guess he has (friends with) deep pockets?

Sauber has 70 billion reasons to hire him...

#1892 alain_sl

alain_sl

• 70 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:29

from Esteban Gutierrez confirmed ...:

"...our time with Kamui will come to an end after the final two races of the season."
my translation: "we/I took decision was took after your 6th place in Abu Dhabi. thanks anyway, but you are fired."

GOOD BYE Sauber. I'll never support you again.

#1893 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,557 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:58

I really hope Kamui has a seat somewhere in F1 for next year... he's too good to miss out, and there's no-one you could find with his experience and quality. Force India, Williams, Caterham (dump Petrov!), Marussia... this guy is too good not to sign up!

#1894 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,884 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 13:01

I liked Sauber a lot but this decision seems to be pure $$$ related.

I hope Kamui gets a seat, F1 2013 will be boring enough without Schumi let alone Kamui as well.

#1895 KavB

KavB

• 1,079 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 13:01

Every team needs money nowadays.. It's sad but true. I know everyone hated it, but I preferred the manufacturers days. They signed the best drivers they could get rather than one who just brings money. Look at a driver like Jarno Trulli. He wasn't amazing but he was solid and he's the 4th most experienced driver in F1 ever! Then look at Kovalainen who is also solid.. his career is coming to an end 5 years after he joined F1.

Hopefully Kobayashi can get a Toyota ride at Le Mans in the future, assuming he doesn't get an F1 seat.

#1896 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 13:02

I think as a midfield team I would prefer Sutil and maybe Jamie.

#1897 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 2,708 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 13:10

Night night, Sauber. I hope your 2nd car ends up missing a wheel at every race in 2013, that will teach them to chase $$$ instead of talent. 0 points for Gutierrez please.

#1898 KinoNoNo

KinoNoNo

• 170 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 13:12

To be honest, my interest in next year has taken a huge hit.

Now I know how Kimi fans felt when he was pushed out of Ferrari.

#1899 Massa

Massa

• 4,282 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 13:57

Perez and Sauber are shit. Really no class. I really hope karma will talk next year.

Advertisement

#1900 sosidge

sosidge

• 1,631 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 14:15

Such a shame to see KK out of Sauber. Would be a tragedy to see him out of F1 while the teammate he has matched has ended up in a top seat. Money talks, no doubt about it - is this what happens when a race team is taken over by a desk jockey?