Photo

Kobayashi Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2248 replies to this topic

#401 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:59

Makes me wonder about the other Sauber seat though.

I think that's go to Quick Nick.

Advertisement

#402 egg1980

egg1980

• 340 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:23

Agreed. So far he didn't show exceptional speed.

Personally I couldn't care less about his speed, he's exciting to watch, doesn't mind who he takes on, overtakes well and seems to learn very quickly. F1 needs that badly right now and thanks to Peter Sauber that's what it's got! I miss Sato for the same reasons, he was never going to win a championship (or even a race) but boy was he good fun to watch!

#403 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:33

overtakes well

If Nelson Piquet had been driving Kobayashi's car and Lewis hamilton had been driving Button's car in Abu Dhabi, Piquet would have passed him because of the relative fuel weigt and tyre wear.

#404 slideways

slideways

• 3,194 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:06

Isn't it a bit unnecessary to run a smear campaign. These guys are just happy to see a rookie with a spark for the first time in 2 seasons.

#405 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,717 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:13

-got a sniff at a chance and grabbed it with both hands;
-looked really unlike with toyota pulling out
-it worked out fine in the end

awesome job from him and the people that helped him both for getting the chance and then for finding a seat after toyota pulled out. this includes his manager, toyota, some sponsors etc.

we all win in the end :)

#406 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,717 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:13

If Nelson Piquet had been driving Kobayashi's car and Lewis hamilton had been driving Button's car in Abu Dhabi, Piquet would have passed him because of the relative fuel weigt and tyre wear.

piquet would have spun about 5 times in those 2 weekends
and only one on purpose out of those :D

#407 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:19

I am happy for the guy. Japan will be proud of him.

#408 HP

HP

• 14,180 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:27

That. I believe it happend when Ron bought Kimi away from Sauber. Actually, I believe there where story's Sauber made a whole new windtunnel from the money he got for Kimi.

What I know for sure is that Mercedes "sponsored" trucks to Sauber, that helped Sauber to move equipment between races and testing in Europe.

#409 HP

HP

• 14,180 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:28

Congrats to Kobayashi and to Sauber. They certainly got my interest back for them.

#410 BuzzingHornet

BuzzingHornet

• 5,984 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:32

Great to see Kobayashi get a proper chance, he was very impressive at the end of the season and was also fun to watch :)

I had to laugh when they said if he hadn't got the drive he would have ended up working in his dad's sushi restaurant :lol:

#411 Coral

Coral

• 2,714 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:32

This is great news, I'm very pleased for Kobayashi. His two races last year were very impressive.

#412 egg1980

egg1980

• 340 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:34

Isn't it a bit unnecessary to run a smear campaign. These guys are just happy to see a rookie with a spark for the first time in 2 seasons.

Well it seems to be the way on here, only come online to say who/what you don't like.

I sometimes think that John McClure must have been reading this BB when he wrote these lyrics;

Say what you think however far from the truth it might be
Say what you think but don't believe in a half of what you read

Captain TightPants has sighted an example at least, which is more than most do, so I have to take that onboard. Although I have just watched the footage back and still think that it was a very good clean move, despite a difference in fuel load and Button's cold tyres. It's the where Kobayashi puts his car that impresses me (despite being a bit too aggressive in Brazil, which he seems to have learnt from already) hanging the world champion out to dry in your second race is good regardless of circumstances. Looking at GP2 footage seems to back this up too.

#413 egg1980

egg1980

• 340 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:35

This is great news, I'm very pleased for Kobayashi. His two races last year were very impressive.

I was hoping to see him at your team actually (Lotus), I don't know why it appealed to me so much and he'll almost certainly score more points at Sauber. It just seemed like a good fit somehow.

#414 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:36

Lewis would have braked late on the clean line, Nelsinho would have gone down the dirty inside and straight on under that grandstand :lol: .

Edited by undersquare, 17 December 2009 - 12:37.

#415 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:39

:up:

great news kobayashi for sauber.

i assume they will be a very popular team...

#416 Sausage

Sausage

• 1,795 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:58

Best news ever

#417 bond

bond

• 2,554 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:58

I'm really happy for Koba getting the Sauber seat.
Looking forward to see what Sauber will bring next season...

#418 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,305 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 13:08

It may be my memory playing tricks, but didn't Piquet overtake Lewis in Turkey?

The driver in a heavier car with cold tyres doesn't have a chance. Next year, of course, it will be different.

#419 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,591 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 13:08

:up:

great news kobayashi for sauber.

i assume they will be a very popular team...

No doubt! Peter Sauber and his team have always been well liked, and quite a few people have taken a liking to Kobayashi.

Sauber will undoubtedly be a popular little team in 2010. :up:

Advertisement

#420 Phucaigh

Phucaigh

• 2,838 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 13:20

Congrats to Kamui, Jarno and Timo.

The only drivers who drove for Toyota and survived.

#421 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,841 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 13:22

Great to see Kobayashi get a proper chance, he was very impressive at the end of the season and was also fun to watch :)

I had to laugh when they said if he hadn't got the drive he would have ended up working in his dad's sushi restaurant :lol:

I guess the sushi world's loss is F1's gain :clap:

#422 intothepits

intothepits

• 409 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 13:24

I think aggresiveness should be praised in Formula 1, not criticized. Sure.. as long as it doesn't pose a risk to other drivers.. but this is how you're going to win races at the end of the day, not being a 'safe' driver and playing your cards too safely... Go for it, this is supposed to be racing, the boy's a racer with what seems to be huge desire to do well.

He actually looked pretty fast too, just seeing him on that straight in Abu Dhabi, the guy looked to be on fire, just straight ahead, solid driving, no nonsense attitude on the race track.

Great news that he'll be in F1 next season. :up:

Edited by intothepits, 17 December 2009 - 13:25.

#423 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 13:31

All we need is Schumi for Mercedes now, and you'll have, on paper, what should be a highly entertaining season

Then again, Kobi himself increases that entertainment factor by a fair amount on his own

Edited by King Six, 17 December 2009 - 13:32.

#424 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,880 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 13:35

Fantastic news!!!!

Now Ive got Kobi, Hulk and maybe Schu to cheer on next season!

#425 bernardoBR

bernardoBR

• 36 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 13:38

Great News ! Congrats to Kobayashi !

Go Kobayashi !

#426 Touti

Touti

• 341 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 13:43

That's very good news. It would have been a real shame if F1 had managed not to have him next year.

#427 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,142 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 13:55

Very pleased for Koba! :up:

#428 GIBF1

GIBF1

• 585 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 14:50

Jenson's just broke into a cold sweat

:lol:

#429 ex Rhodie racer 2

ex Rhodie racer 2

• 1,140 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 14:57

Obviously Nick is waiting to see if he´s got the Merc drive before commiting to Sauber. If Nick does leave and signs for Merc, I wonder who is in line for the other seat at Sauber. I can´t see them running another rookie, which sort of narrows down the field to just Giancarlo Fisichella. Surely not?

#430 luskiiimj

luskiiimj

• 228 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 15:26

I'm happy for him. He deserves it.

#431 RoutariEnjinu

RoutariEnjinu

• 2,344 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 15:52

He might not earn a ride for 2011, but he's earned a ride for 2010.

It's plain refreshing to see someone new come in and just get balls deep, instead of being terrified and slow and falling off the track.

Edited by RoutariEnjinu, 17 December 2009 - 15:52.

#432 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,609 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 15:55

It may be my memory playing tricks, but didn't Piquet overtake Lewis in Turkey?

The driver in a heavier car with cold tyres doesn't have a chance. Next year, of course, it will be different.

yes i think he did, out of turn 8 section aswell :eek: . really highlighted the low downforce of the mac, everyone was massivly faster through there (and closed right up onto his gearbox)

#433 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,191 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 15:59

No one is running a 'smear' campaing. Some of us are just trying to be a bit more realistic in our expectations.

What he did was good for a rookie, but people act like what he did was exceptional by normal standards, which he wasn't.

And like I said, even though GP2 is hardly the perfect way to tell how somebody will go in F1, he was not an exciting, overtake-anyone sort of driver. Even when he won the GP2 Asia title, he was said to lack a 'racer's instinct', unlike his teammate D'Ambrosio.

Lets hope I'm wrong, though. I have a suspicion he just had a bit of a 'dream' start that wont carry over when he's in the seat for a whole season.

#434 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,223 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 16:03

Looking back to the Suzuka free practices he was really impressive. Within 3 tenths of Trulli in FP2. I wondered at the time why more people werent talking about him here. Glad to see Sauber giving young potential a go still as they always did.

I suspect Koba will be everyones no.2 favourite next year :)

#435 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 8,840 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 16:19

What do you mean by "sell"? Sauber isn't Kobayashi's manager; he doesn't see a cent of it if Kobayashi moves on to another team for more money. It might improve his reputation as a finder of new talent, but that's intangible.

If Kobo is on a 2 year contract and another team want him after 1, PS can sell him. Captain Obvious!

#436 Cobra

Cobra

• 482 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 16:54

Does this make Koba this first Japanese to race a Ferrari engined F1 car? I know Katayama had a spell in the Larousse Lambo.

#437 4L3X

4L3X

• 2,012 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 17:28

Very happy for him! Great news!

Edited by 4L3X, 17 December 2009 - 17:29.

#438 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,653 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 17:44

Great news for Koba. Interesting for all of us. In two races he looked.., well, interesting... many of us wanted to see more of him, even if only to prove that actually he's no so good afterall. Good luck to him - let's hope he's a killer Sato rather than the early days Sato.

#439 DEVO

DEVO

• 2,637 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 19:11

Wow, finally some good news! Now MS turn.

Advertisement

#440 Pink Snail

Pink Snail

• 519 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 21:46

Good to see Peter Sauber putting Koby in the car. Remember him doing it for Massa (didn`t he do well!) and a certain Kimi Raikkonnen aswell. Between Mr Sauber and Mr Minardi they must take the credit for giving quite a few of the newbies a chance. 2010 is now looking quite good thanks to this news. Good also to see the two other Toyota drivers in seats for next year! Hope it pays off for Peter Sauber and Koby alike.. :up:

#441 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,653 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 23:43

Good to see Peter Sauber putting Koby in the car. Remember him doing it for Massa (didn`t he do well!)

Yeah, remember Massa's first year? He looked like sh*t. Unthinkable now...

#442 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,717 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 23:47

he made a lot of errors, but he was not slow
the problem is he kept crashing the car.
you know thay say you can make an error prone driver make less errors, but you can't make a slow one faster

that's the problem with the rookies that come around and are too cautious...they don't impress
koba did

#443 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,653 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 23:54

the problem is he kept crashing the car.

An expensive problem. One can only give it so long, but someone has to, like Jordan with Sato.

#444 Psymon

Psymon

• 725 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 00:54

Good news I think. He certainly impressed at the end of the 2009 season, especially considering the performances of the likes of Grosjean / Alguesuari.

What level of performance he ends up with we'll have to wait and see, however he certainly deserves this chance to build on his 2 race debut.

#445 911

• 2,203 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 02:22

Geez, I can't believe all of the "concerns" people here have over Kamui's ability after two races. Come on, folks, I think Peter Sauber is more qualified than anyone here on this forum to judge talent and to make an informed decision on the driver he selects.

Also, how many of the other rookies in 2009 made the same impression that Kamui did after two GPs?

Anyway, I'm happy he got a seat next season. IMO, it's well deserved and I hope he can continue to show what he did in the last two races of this year.

#446 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,357 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 02:54

Also, how many of the other rookies in 2009 made the same impression that Kamui did after two GPs?

If Koba scores points in half the races (even if they go to the whole top 10), P Sauber should be quite happy with that performance. :up:

#447 muramasa

muramasa

• 2,946 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:33

No one is running a 'smear' campaing. Some of us are just trying to be a bit more realistic in our expectations.

What he did was good for a rookie, but people act like what he did was exceptional by normal standards, which he wasn't.

And like I said, even though GP2 is hardly the perfect way to tell how somebody will go in F1, he was not an exciting, overtake-anyone sort of driver. Even when he won the GP2 Asia title, he was said to lack a 'racer's instinct', unlike his teammate D'Ambrosio.

Lets hope I'm wrong, though. I have a suspicion he just had a bit of a 'dream' start that wont carry over when he's in the seat for a whole season.

i do understand what you mean. i too thought he was no F1 material or even rubbish and pretty much ignored him.
but he did exceptional at least at Abu Dhabi. people like to focus on battles with Button etc, but i'm more impressed with his race craft than those battles. his pace was competitive and consistent even on a inferior strategy. he knew when to battle and when not. he needed to fight hard with Button at that stage of the race for better result, and he did. he didnt need to fight with Alonso, and he kept his head cool and didnt, letting Alonso through as if he's backmarker.

btw some people talk about "if", so how about this: if it was Hulk, not Kobayashi, who subbed for Glock, people would surely be saying "wow! what a promising debut! impressive as expected! etc etc.

regarding his form in GP2, he said sth interesting, sth along the lines of "at GP2, i was at times as much as 2 sec slower, and that is simply unexplainable/unreasonable and there was nothing i could do about that, to make the car faster. but F1, things are "easy" in terms of set up. when i do this, car goes this way, when i do that, car goes that way. the car is responsive to the changes i make, and i can see how to work on and improve the car very clearly.

past records are past records, even tho it's important. he did exactly what you need to do if given the chance like that. whether he'll do well over the long term is another matter, but if the showing goes without being rewarded, then what's the point of all this? i'm glad justice has been done... that he's got another chance... kudos to Sauber.

#448 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 10,476 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:31

I'm extremely happy to see Kobayashi in F1. He is best thing in F1 since sliced bread

#449 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,191 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 10:55

if the showing goes without being rewarded, then what's the point of all this? i'm glad justice has been done... that he's got another chance... kudos to Sauber.

And I do agree with that. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve the seat.

All I'm saying is I have a suspicion that he's not going impress nearly as much over a whole season.

And like I said, I hope I'm wrong.  ;)

#450 muramasa

muramasa

• 2,946 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 11:08

And I do agree with that. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve the seat.

All I'm saying is I have a suspicion that he's not going impress nearly as much over a whole season.

And like I said, I hope I'm wrong. ;)

i know, some of the comments i wrote in that response were not directed at you, so plz dont get me wrong about that :)

yes i too think so too, altho it's like "worry" or "not so sure" rather than "suspicion" (talk about subtle nuance!), hey it's just reasonable to think that way, and yeah, i too hope i'll be proven wrong.