Photo

The 2009 Brazilian Grand Prix trophies

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,726 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 21:43

Some trophies are exquisite works of art; the Australians tend to produce something special.

Some are dull; the Banco Santander silver steaming turds that are recycled for every race they sponsor.

But who in their right mind thought that the Brazilian trophies were in any way suitable for anything other than a proctologist's weirdest fantasies?

Posted Image (little pic until a proper one emerges)

Cheap, nasty, tacky looking things. Was there really no-one in Brazil who could have produced something better? Or did the real ones get stolen and that was the best they could do at short notice? Grab some spare aerials and paint them turquoise?

Advertisement

#2 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope
  • Writer of 2013's Best Opening Post

• 7,069 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 21:46

Something to do with the green movement, I suspect. Bullshit regardless.

#3 Ruud de la Rosa

Ruud de la Rosa

• 2,137 posts

Some trophies are exquisite works of art; the Australians tend to produce something special.

Some are dull; the Banco Santander silver steaming turds that are recycled for every race they sponsor.

But who in their right mind thought that the Brazilian trophies were in any way suitable for anything other than a proctologist's weirdest fantasies?

Posted Image (little pic until a proper one emerges)

Cheap, nasty, tacky looking things. Was there really no-one in Brazil who could have produced something better? Or did the real ones get stolen and that was the best they could do at short notice? Grab some spare aerials and paint them turquoise?

Made of recycled material (bottle caps) gathered during the weekend. 100 times better tan the santander trophies!

#4 EthanM

EthanM

• 2,480 posts

I think they were made from recycled material, hence the color. As to the design itself, it's been the same for a while

Clicky for 08 pic

Edit:
Clicky for story about the trophy itself, apparently 08 trophy was recycled plastic :)

Edited by EthanM, 18 October 2009 - 21:47.

#5 fastlegs

fastlegs

• 1,956 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 21:48

I agree. :up:

I heard on Speed TV that they were made from recycled bottle caps.

I don't think they were joking when they said it.

#6 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 21:49

I think they are pretty sophisticated and certainly unique. More work of art than the typical ornaments that get given out. It's a concept isn't it recycled bottle tops machined on site. It's humble. None of that glittery tin that requires a load of brasso. I know what you mean though in years to come they will either be valued by the drivers as unique or stick out like a sore thumb. My bet is on it being Jenson favourite whatever.

#7 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,726 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 21:51

Well, I thought they were rubbish, but not literally...

#8 Ruud de la Rosa

Ruud de la Rosa

• 2,137 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 21:51

I think they are pretty sophisticated and certainly unique. More work of art than the typical ornaments that get given out. It's a concept isn't it recycled bottle tops machined on site. It's humble. None of that glittery tin that requires a load of brasso. I know what you mean though in years to come they will either be valued by the drivers as unique or stick out like a sore thumb. My bet is on it being Jenson favourite whatever.

Jenson didn't win one.

#9 EthanM

EthanM

• 2,480 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 21:53

The trophy itself was designed by one of the most famous architects in the world, Oscar Niemeyer ... I think it qualifies as more of a work of art than the average corporate mess they give out at the average race

#10 Aubwi

Aubwi

• 452 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 21:55

Reminds me of the Klingon insignia. http://fr.wikipedia....gonInsignia.png

#11 Ruud de la Rosa

Ruud de la Rosa

• 2,137 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 21:55

Castilho de Andrade

Mythical architect Oscar Niemeyer, 100 years old, has designed the trophy which will be presented to the winners of the Brazilian Grand Prix. Braskem – a leading petrochemical industry, one of the race’s sponsors – has produced the material which will be used in the trophy. Also known as “green plastic”, it is the first 100 per cent renewable polymer, produced with sugar cane ethanol and fully conversant with environmental protocols.

Brazil is a pioneer in developing alternative sources of energy, such as ethanol fuels. This is a priority of the country’s authorities and has attracted substantial levels of investment. The trophy of the 2008 Brazilian Grand Prix, created with renewable materials, is a result of these efforts.

The trophy Oscar Niemeyer designed is inspired on another of his masterpieces, the Alvorada Presidential Palace: “Architecture follows the path of a work of art, and what characterizes art is emotion, surprise. The Alvorada pillars are one of the pinnacles of Brasilia. We could have chosen any other form, rectangular, straight, not complex. But instead we chose something which had never been used before in the structure of a pillar.”

First, second and third placed drivers, in addition to winning constructor, will receive different sized versions of the trophy. The winning driver trophy weights 5 kilos.

The work of architect Oscar Niemeyer has always been marked by stirring curves, just like those of the trophy. This is how he defined his love of curves: “It is not the right angle that attracts me. Nor is the straight line, cold and inflexible, created by man. What attracts me is the free and sensual curve. These are curve that I see in the mountains of my country. In the sinuous rivers, the sea waves. They are in clouds in the sky, the body of a woman. The universe is curve. The curve universe of Einstein.”

* Castilho de Andrade, a leading sports journalist, is the National Press
Officer of the Brazilian Grand Prix.

http://en.wikipedia....ada_commons.jpg
http://img14.imagesh...908brazilgp.jpg

Edited by Ruud de la Rosa, 18 October 2009 - 21:56.

#12 Brawn BGP 001

Brawn BGP 001

• 2,702 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 21:56

I feel sorry for Webber his Nurburgring trophy was a Santander one, now this.

#13 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 21:56

Jenson didn't win one.

Sorry. It's gone to my head. Ive got Jenson, winner, winner, winner on my mind today. Thank god someone started the 'don't forget Webber got his second win' thread. How about when Jenson wins in Brazil next year it will be his favourite, no? No! :)

#14 dau

dau

• 4,578 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 21:58

Still way better than those run-of-the-mill Santander trophies.

#15 SPBHM

SPBHM

• 834 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 23:25

looks like the 2008, but blue!
Posted Image

and here the 2007
Posted Image

#16 bogi

bogi

• 3,158 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 23:29

Posted Image

#17 SPBHM

SPBHM

• 834 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 23:32

Posted Image

#18 ()qo3lav1236

()qo3lav1236

• 124 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 00:02

well it looks better then steaming pile of poo.

#19 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,881 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:19

i liked it, its unique.
kinda like a VC medal, made out of worthless material but means alot :)

Advertisement

#20 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:34

Jenson didn't win one.

That doesn't mean it still can't be Jenson's favourite! :D Perhaps he's at home as we speak, melting bottlecaps and trying to recreate this horrible insult to trophies all over the world.

#21 Poltergeistes

Poltergeistes

• 372 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:55

the idea i get is this, while i think the 2007 trophy looked more like one, beautiful. i think at the winning drivers's homes, they have many of them, and they look all almost the same, now when they put something like that, it will stand out, like an work of art.